Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: The Sword of the Third Young Master

As we are not supposed to post in your unabridged thread, I am posting here some spotted errors for chapter 1:

In Jianghu, there were not many people did not recognize this sword, and not many people did not know this man.
    Should be:
    In Jianghu, there were not many people who did not recognize this sword, and not many people who did not know this man.
    He wash anxious to become famous and anxious to kill Yan Shisan.
    should be
    He was anxious to become famous and anxious to kill Yan Shisan.

Thanks Kaister

Quote Originally Posted by kaister View Post
    I have been reviewing the earlier chapters, specifically ch. 1-7. I will start posting these chapters in the unabridged thread this weekend, about 1 every couple of days.

It took me two chapters to realizing I've been spending too much time on it. By the 3rd chapter, I simply copied xJadedx translation and review it line by line and making changes only if it make sense.

Starting ch. 4, I straight up compare the text to the book. I'll take one more look at the first three chapters before posting these up.

Starting from ch. 7, I'll need to spend more effort on the these chapters. I'm trying to keep the translation true to the original Chinese text. This is true for ch. 7-17 and from what I see ch 35-38.

I'm working on ch. 7 right now. After ch. 7, I'll finish translating the final three chapters before working on re-translating ch 8.
    dear Kiaster. This is a monumental task. Thank you for planning to undertake this task. My advance thanks to you.

Quote Originally Posted by geraldsaw View Post
    dear Kiaster. This is a monumental task. Thank you for planning to undertake this task. My advance thanks to you.
    Thanks. Also, thank you everyone for the comments. I really appreciate it.

It's a good story. I just thought it deserved a consistent and complete translation. From what I see most of xJadedx's translation for ch 1-6 are great. I see a few noticeable error but nothing major, I'll point these out. As kara's translation, what's available is not bad but for some reason it's missing parts here and there. Perhaps, it's the source. I haven't gotten to Ren Wo Xing's chapters yet but I'm expecting it to be excellent =).

For xJadedx, I went through like ch4-5 in about 1-1.5 day. I expect to go through RWX's chapter quickly too.

ycb5959, I will review and update the unabridged thread this weekend but thanks for pointing some of the errors =).

Finally caught up with the reading...
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ycb5959 View Post
    Finally caught up with the reading...
    Thanks!
    How is it? How badly disjointed is the translation based on what you read?

I'm reading only the chapters I'm working on. I'm just starting ch. 8. For ch 1-6, I used xJadedx translation primarily and it follows the Chinese text closely. However, on ch7 & 8 there are a lot of missing details, missing lines and a few outright errors. This might be due the using a translated Vietnamese source instead of original.

Quote Originally Posted by kaister View Post
    How is it? How badly disjointed is the translation based on what you read?

I'm reading only the chapters I'm working on. I'm just starting ch. 8. For ch 1-6, I used xJadedx translation primarily and it follows the Chinese text closely. However, on ch7 & 8 there are a lot of missing details, missing lines and a few outright errors. This might be due the using a translated Vietnamese source instead of original.
    The names, for one, were confusing due to the different sources.
    And yes, there seems to be some areas things skip a bit (but I am not sure since my mind was really tested trying to figure out who is who, between the change in names)

Thanks.

Right now I've already posted up the first seven chapters I'd reviewed.

I'm going to work on ch. 41-47. The good mews is that the base translation is already done. Yes, that means ch. 41-47 is all translated. I'm reviewing the translation before posting. I'll start on ch. 41 this weekend and probably post 1 up every day or every couple of days.

At this moment, besides reviewing silver spear, I'm working on ch.8-17.

Default chapter 41

Right now I'm simply comparing the translation with the book. Generally, I used online text to translate first. Unfortunately, sometimes they're missing some text. That's why I have to double check with book. I'll post a new chapter every couple of days.

Chapter 41
    Thought Lightly of Life and Death

He was laughing, but no one would believe he was laughing from his heart.

He was looking at Jian Chuanxue.

Jian Chuanxue lowered his head.

“Yes, I said it.”

“I am part of Tianzun, and so was Tian Zailong.”

“I told Tian Zailong, that’s why they knew about this.”

He did not say these words out loud but it was not necessary.

“I was wrong about you.”

“I thought of you as a friend; clearly I am wrong.”

Xie Xiaofeng did not say these words out loud, and it also wasn’t necessary. Xie Xiaofeng only said the following words:

“I don’t blame you.”

Jian Chuanxue, “You really don’t blame me?”

Xie Xiaofeng, “I don’t blame you because you originally didn’t recognize me.”

Jian Chuanxue was silent for a while. He finally slowly said, “Yes. I originally did not recognize you, not even for a bit.”

These were very simple words, but had very complicated meanings.

— Not recognized means not acquainted.

— Not acquainted means not really knowing what kind of person you are.

Xie Xiaofeng understood what he meant and understood what he was feeling.

So Xie Xiaofeng only said three words!

“You can leave.”

Jian Chuanxue left; he left with his head down.

After he left for a while, Ouyang Yunhe finally took a deep sigh and said, “Xie Xiaofeng truly is Xie Xiaofeng.”

This was also a very simple statement, and very crude.

However, its meaning was not simple, nor crude.

Li Zhenzhen sighed. She took a long soft sigh and said, “If I were you, I would not let him go.”

Xie Xiaofeng said, “You are not me.”

Li Zhenzhen said, “You are also not me, and also not Ouyang Yunhe, Mei Changhua, and Qin Duxiu.”

Xie Xiaofeng, of course, was not.

Li Zhenzhen said, “It’s because you are not, therefore you do not understand us.”

Ouyang Yunhe said, “That’s why you thought we shouldn’t have kill Li Pingzi and Tian Zailong.”

Li Zhenzhen said, “That’s why we had already decided, to accomplish our goals we’ll take any steps necessary.”

Ouyang Yunhu said, “We only had one goal.”

Without Xie Xiaofeng asking, Li Zhenzhen already said it out!

“Resist Tianzun, uphold righteousness!”

She continued, “Perhaps our actions may not be proper, our intentions are definitely correct.”

Mei Changhua, “So if you really thought we had wrongfully killed, why don’t you kill us with this sword.”

Ouyang Yunhe said, “Not only will we not fight back, we will die without any grudges!”

Li Zhenzhen said, “I am a woman. Women are a bit more afraid of death, but I would also die without resentment.”

Xie Xiaofeng’s hand had a sword. It didn’t matter what sword or whose sword, once it was in the hand of the third young master of the Xie family it was a sword that kills!

It would slay any person, the question was — “Does this person deserve to die?”

Dusk. There was fog.

There should not be any fog at dusk, but there was a dream-like fog.

People should not have dream, but do dream.

Xie Xiaofeng went into the fog, into the dream.

Was it a fog-like dream? Or a dream-like fog?

If there’s a saying that life is supposedly dream-like and fog-like, is this saying too crude or too true?

“We are all men, men of Jianghu, therefore you should understand why we did what we had done.”

These were Li Zhenzhen’s words, therefore he did not kill Li Zhenzhen; or kill Mei Changhua, Qin Duxiu, or Ouyang Yunhe. Because he knew these were true words.

In Jianghu there is basically no absolute right or wrong. If a Jianghu man wants to accomplish his goal, he ought to use any mean possible.

When they need to do one thing, often they do not even have a choice.

No one wants to admit to these points, but no one could deny it either.

This is the fate of a person of Jianghu. This is also precisely the biggest grievance for a person of Jianghu.

Jianghu would always have a person like Li Zhenzhen. Supposedly he did kill Li Zhenzhen, then what? What would it change?

“We chose her to be the alliance leader because we believe she is the only one that could handle Tianzun’s Murong Qiudi.”

These words came from Ouyang Yunhe. These were also true words.

He suddenly realized Li Zhenzhen and Murong Qiudi were the same type of people.

These people seemed to be natural born winner. They would succeed in whatever they do. On the other hand, there are people that are natural born loser. No matter how much they’ve already won, they would lose it all in the end.

He couldn’t help but asked himself, “What about me? Which type am I?”

He did not answer his question. He didn’t really want to know the answer to this question.

The fog was cold and thick. It was so thick it seemed to have blocked him off from the rest of the people in the world.

This type of weather was perfect for his current mood. He really didn't want to see anyone else.

However at this moment, someone appeared amidst the thick fog.

Jian Chuanxue’s face, that appeared amidst the fog, looked as if he had just escaped from hell.

Xie Xiaofeng said, “You?”
    Jian Chuanxue said, “It’s me.”

His voice was coarse and melancholic, “I know you don’t want to see me, but I have to come here.”

Xie Xiaofeng said, “Why?”

Jian Chuanxue said, “Because there are some words on my mind. Whether you are willing to listen or not, I must say it out.”

Xie Xiaofeng looked at his deathly pale face and finally nodded. He said, “If you must say it, I’ll listen.”

Jian Chuanxue said, “I am definitely part of Tianzun because I could not refuse them. I still don’t want to die yet.”

Xie Xiaofeng said, “I understand. If a person like Tian Zailong couldn't refuse them, then how could you?”

Jian Chuanxue said, “I am different from him. He was educated and trained in swords. I am educated in medicine. The art of medicine is focus to helping the world and saving people. We put emphasis on the lives of people.”

Xie Xiaofeng said, “I understand.”

Jian Chuanxue said, “I’d only joined Tianzun for several months. I have learned medicine for twenty years. The views on human life, had long been ingrained in my heart.”

Xie Xiaofeng said, “I believe it.”

Jian Chuanxue said, “Therefore no matter what Tianzun wants me to do, I would not view human life as child's play. As long as it’s my patient, I would devote myself completely to save this patient. It doesn’t matter who this patient is.”

He looked at Xie Xiaofeng, “The same applies to you.”

Xie Xiaofeng said, “It’s too bad my injuries couldn’t be healed.”

Jian Chuanxue sorrowfully said, “As long as I think there’s still a slim chance, I would never give up.”

Xie Xiaofeng said, “I know you’d already did your best. I wouldn’t blame you.”

Jian Chuanxue said, “Tian Zailong was indeed part of Tianzun. They had originally wanted me to arranged to have him kill you.”

Xie Xiaofeng laughed, “Things like this could be arranged?”

Jian Chuanxue said, “Other people couldn’t, but I could.”

Xie Xiaofeng asked, “How would you arrange this?”

Jian Chuanxue replied, “If I added some bone-decaying medicine onto your wound, I just need to give him the signal. When you face Tian Zailong, you wouldn’t even have the strength to fight back.”

He said hurriedly, “No matter who defeated the third young master of the Xie family, it would’ve shook the entire Jianghu. Not to mention, they already had a bet.”

Xie Xiaofeng said, “Whoever kills Xie Xiaofeng would be leader of the alliance in Taishan?”

Jian Chuanxue said, “Correct.”

Xie Xiaofeng said, “If Tian Zailong could kill me in front of the head disciples of the seven great sword schools, Li Zhenzhen would’ve seceded the leadership position to him. Then the alliance of the seven sword school would simply be in Tianzun’s control.”

Xie Xiaofeng lightly sighed and said, “But it’s a pity you didn’t do it.”

Jian Chuanxue said, “I could not do this. I just don’t have the will to carry it out.”

Xie Xiaofeng said, “It’s because the art of medicine is humane; something that’s ingrained in your heart.”

Xie Xiaofeng said, “Right now there is only one thing I don’t understand.”

Jian Chuanxue asked, “What?”

Xie Xiaofeng said, “How could Li Zhenzhen and them know I only have three days to live? This should be something only the people of Tianzun would know.”

Jian Chuanxue expression changed, cracked his voice and said, “Could it be that Li Zhenzhen is also part of Tianzun?”

Xie Xiaofeng looked at him. He stayed calm and imperviously asked, “You really did not know she is also part of Tianzun?”

Jian Chuanxue said, “I…”

Xie Xiaofeng said, “You should’ve known. An expert chess player, behind their piece was another hidden piece that was even more dangerous. Murong Qiudi never had much faith on Tian Zailong. In this round of chess, her real move lies in Li Zhenzhen.”

Jian Chuanxue said, “You’d already thought of this?”

Xie Xiaofeng said, “I’m not that foolish.”

Jian Chuanxue let out a sigh of relief, and said, “Then you must’ve killed her.”
    Xie Xiaofeng said, “I did not.”

Jian Chuanxue face changed again, and asked, “Why did you let her go?”

Xie Xiaofeng replied, “Because only she has the ability to go against Murong Qiudi.”

Jian Chuanxue said, “But she…”

Xie Xiaofeng said, “Although right now she’s still part of Tianzun, she would not be willing to stay under Murong Qiudi for long. Taishan is her best chance. Once she ascends to the leadership of the alliance, she would use her power and might to go against Tianzun.”

He smiled and added, “I understand her kind; she would never let this opportunity slip by.”

Jian Chuanxue’s hands were sweating. He was not stupid, but he would never have thought of any of this.

Xie Xiaofeng said, “Murong Qiudi had been using her but didn’t realize she was also using Murong Qiudi. She joined Tianzun probably with the intention to borrow its power to allow her to reach to this stage.”

He sighed and continued, “This piece that Murong Qiudi played was like a poisonous snake. Poisonous snake could put someone’s life out, but at any given time could turn back and take a bite at its owner.”

Jian Chuanxue asked, “This bite could be lethal?”

Xie Xiaofeng said, “She could gain Murong Qiudi’s trust. She, of course, should also be capable of finding Tianzun’s lifeline. Once she bites on this lifeline, it definitely wouldn’t be light.”

Jian Chuanxue said, “However a centipede does not topple over even when dead.37 If she wants this one bite to be fatal, it wouldn’t be that simple.”

Xie Xiaofeng said, “Therefore we have to fight poison with poison. Have them battle each other out. Once they both exhausted each other, someone else will take their place.”

Jian Chuanxue asked, “Who is this someone else?”

Xie Xiaofeng said, “Every generation in Jianghu had its hero. Who this person will be? No one knows.”

He took a long sigh, “This is the destiny of a man of Jianghu. Life in Jianghu is like a fallen leaf amidst the wind, duckweed in water; often one has no control over its destiny. As long as we know both Tianzun and Seven Sword Alliance would both fall, that’s enough. There’s no need to know too much.”

Jian Chuanxue did not ask anymore. He was a not a man of Jianghu. He did not understand the people of Jianghu; he understood Xie Xiaofeng even less. He suddenly realize this person was not only like a duckweed or fallen leaf floating about unpredictably; he was also like the night fog earlier: illusionary, indiscernible, and hard to grasp.

This person was sometimes profound; sometimes carefree; sometimes melancholy; sometimes gleeful; sometimes lenient and charitable; but sometimes suddenly became extreme and cold-hearted. Jian Chuanxue had never met someone with such complicated personality.

It may be because of such complicated and fluctuating personality, he was “Xie Xiaofeng”.

Jian Chuanxue looked at him, suddenly sighed, and said, “I came, originally, because I have something to tell you.”

Xie Xiaofeng said, “What?”

Jian Chuanxue said, “Although I could help you with your wound, your injuries aren’t incurable.”

Xie Xiaofeng’s face lit up.

If a person knows he has a chance to still live, who wouldn’t want to live?

Xie Xiaofeng couldn’t help but asked, “Who could still save me?”

Jian Chuanxue said, “There is only one person.”

Xie Xiaofeng asked, “Who?”

Jian Chuanxue said, “He is also a strange person. Just like you, he is ever changing and hard to grasp. Sometime could also be cold-hearted and emotionless like you.”

Xie Xiaofeng couldn’t deny, only sighed.

The people with the most emotions are the people that could be the most emotionless. Was he full of emotions or devoid of emotions? This, not even he, himself, could tell.
    Jian Chuanxue looked at him, then suddenly sighed and said, “It doesn’t matter who he is. Right now you would never be able to find him?”

Xie Xiaofeng was never afraid of death. Every person, when they are young, are not afraid of death. This is because they don’t know why death is scary.

Especially Xie Xiaofeng. When he was young, he had heard of plenty of stories of true heroes. True heroes are never afraid of death.

Heroes are not afraid of death. Those afraid of death are often not heroes. If the person dies at this instant, so what? Even after twenty years, he is still a hero.

This ideology was deeply rooted within him. After he grew up, he was even less afraid of death. That was because the one that dies were other people, not him.

As long as his sword was still in his hand, then “life and death” were at the palm of his hand.

Although he was not god, he had control on the fate of other people’s survival and demise. Why should he be afraid of death? Sometimes he had also wonder what it feels like to die, because it was something he had never experience.

Xie Xiaofeng also did not want to die. His family had a glorious background and celebrated reputation. No matter where he went, he was well respected. Even when he was young, he already knew this. He was also intelligent. When he was four, he was already known as a prodigy. He was cute. In women’s view, he was always an incorruptible angel. Whether it was a noble woman or a wash lady, their views were all the same.

He was a genius at studying martial art. Sword skill that other couldn’t even learn in ten years, he could master it in ten days.

He had never been defeated before.

Opponent he had face includes dangerous swordsmen and most brilliant gamblers. However he had never lost before. Betting with sword, betting with alcohols, betting with dice, betting anything; he had never lost. A person like him, why would he want to die?

He was not afraid of death, probably because he was never threatened by death before. Until that day, that moment, when someone told him he had only three days to live. In an instance, he finally understood the fear of death. Although he didn’t want to die, he was helpless.

A person’s life and death are often not decided by the person himself. This is true for anybody. He understood this point.

Therefore even though he knew he was about to die, he could only wait for death because he had no alternatives.

However, the situation had changed.

A person waiting for death suddenly has a ray of hope to live. This hope is then suddenly dashed by another. This change from one extreme to another all happened in an instance.

Who could endure this type of shock?

Jian Chuanxue did not move an inch. He seemed as if he was waiting for him to snap his neck.

— Since you’re not allowing me to live, I don’t want to allow you to live either.

This is a principal the people of Jianghu often adhere to. This was the result he was expecting.

Xie Xiaofeng, on the other hand, did not move. He quietly stood there and coldly stared at him.

Jian Chuanxue said, “You could kill me. However even if you kill me, I will not speak.”

His voice was nervously shaking, “Because right now I finally know what kind of person you are.”

Xie Xiaofeng asked, “What kind of person am I?”

Jian Chuanxue replied, “You are far more heartless than anyone thought.”

Xie Xiaofeng said, “Oh?”

Jian Chuanxue said, “If you don’t even care about your life or death, why would you bother with other people’s life of death.”

Xie Xiaofeng said, “Oh?”

Jian Chuanxue said, “As long as you believe it’s necessary, you are willing to sacrifice anyone at any moment. It doesn’t matter who this person is.”

Xie Xiaofeng suddenly laughed and said, “So I am better dead than alive.”

Jian Chuanxue said, “I don’t really want to see you die. I am not saying because I wanted to protect this person.”

[End of Chapter 41]

-----[footnote]-----
    37. Chinese saying “baizuzhicong, sierbujiang“, lit. means a centipede die without showing signs of death. It mean the influences of the powerful will lingers after its downfall.

Thanks Kaister

Thanks!!!!

Thanks kaister.

Thanks. Kaister.

Thanks kaister

Default Chapter 42

Chapter 42
    Back From Death’s Door

Xie Xiaofeng was baffled, “Protecting him?”

Jian Chuanxue said, “I know he would definitely save you. However if you do not die, he will die in your hand.”

Xie Xiaofeng asked, “Why?”

Jian Chuanxue replied, “Because once the two of you meet, one will die under that other’s sword. The one that’ll die would definitely not be you.”

He slowly continued, “Because I know that no matter what situation you’re in, you will never allow yourself to be defeated. Because as long as the Xie third young master is alive, he will not allow himself to lose to another’s sword!”

Xie Xiaofeng was pondering, then slowly laughed, and said, “You are right. I can die, but I can never allow myself to be defeated by another’s sword.”

He looked far away, took a long sigh and said, “Because I am Xie Xiaofeng!”

This statement could be his last statement, because this could very well be his last day.

He could collapse at any moment; because after he said these words, he left without turning back. He knew that once he leaves, he would not have any more chances to find a way to keep on living.

However he didn’t force anything, nor did he plead. It was like waving goodbye to the colorful clouds. There was no sentiments, nor reluctances.

Because although defeat wasn’t a choice for him, death was!

The night had slowly gotten dark. The fog had gotten thicker. Jian Chuanxue watched the back of his thin and tired body slowly disappeared into the thick fog.

He really didn’t turn around and take a look.

— A person that was this heartless to himself, and yet let alone other people?

Jian Chuanxue clenched his fist and bit down on his teeth, “I can not say, definitely can not say…”

His voice seemed resolute; however, his body already rushed out. He loudly called out, “Xie Xiaofeng, wait!”

The fog was dreary and fuzzy. He could not see anyone or hear anyone response. He was running and panting until he fell down.

The mud was damp and it was salty like tears. He suddenly saw a pair of legs.

Xie Xiaofeng was standing in front of him. His head was tilted down looking at him.

Jian Chuanxue did not stand up. He said while crying, “I can not say. If I said it out, I would let him down.”

Xie Xiaofeng said, “I understand.”

Jian Chuanxue said, “However if I don’t say it, how would I be able to not let you down.”38

He couldn’t sit back and watch Xie Xiaofeng die.

He simply could not leave people in mortal danger.

It was against the principal he had followed for the past twenty years.

After battling with his internal struggle, “Fortunately, I’ve at least thought of a method.”

“What method?”

“Only this method can put me at ease. And only this method can allow me to keep my secret.”

He thrust a knife into himself.

A faint simmer of the knife blade flashed within the thick fog.

An extremely sharp knife; the seven cun39 long knife had completely entered his chest.

If a person still has a conscience, sometimes this person would rather die than go against his conscience. He still had a conscience.

Thick fog, running water. The Amur silver-grass at the side of the riverbank was rustling. The river water was flowing silently in the dark. The thick fog above the river was like smoke.

A desolate river and a desolate weather.

Xie Xiaofeng was on the edge of the riverbank in between the Amur silver grass. The sound of the flowing water was like the breathing of a dying man. He was listening to the water and he was listening to his breathing.

The flowing water would never stop; however, his breathing could stop at any moment.

What a sad and lonely mockery.

Who would’d imagine the world famous Xie Xiaofeng was alone sitting on the riverbank waiting for his death?

Death that was not emphatically lamentable or worth grieving, was his kind of death.

He chose this kind of death. It was because he was too tired. All of that strength
    that struggled and strived for life, had already disappeared. It was said that a person nearing death had a lot of strange reminisces of his life. There were some things that had already been forgotten, suddenly appearing back in his mind.

However, he didn’t even dare to think. Right now he just wanted to talk to someone; anyone would do. He suddenly felt very lonely. Sometimes loneliness is harder to bear than death. Otherwise why would some people decide to die because of loneliness?

The wind blew by.

The pervading thick fog above the river suddenly had a faint flickering fire.

It was not a lamp fire, but a stove fire.

There was a lonely boat with a small red clay stove. A flickering flame was shining on an old man, who had a green bamboo hat, a green woven coat, and hair white as snow.

The wind was blowing a bitter and astringent but cool aroma. Not sure whether it was medicine or tea boiling on the stove.

A lonely boat with a weak stove fire and a lonely old man. For him, all the joys and sorrows, separation and reunion in life were all nothing but passing smokes in front of his eyes. Was he also waiting for death?

Looking at this old man, Xie Xiaofeng suddenly with a strange feeling in his heart, stood up and waved.

“The old man on the boat, do you mind steering the boat to here?”

The old man didn't seem to have heard anything. He did asked, “What do you want?”

Xie Xiaofeng said, “You seemed to be staring blankly on the boat. I am staring blankly on the riverbank. Why don’t we sit down and have a chat, as a way to pass the time in this long night.”

The old man did not say anything. But there was a “ainai”40 (exclaim) sound and the light boat was slowing moving toward here.

Xie Xiaofeng smiled.

On this cold and damp thick fog, the two of them meeting seemed to brought a hard to describe serenity and warmth.

The water in the copper pot on the stove fire was already boiling; the bitter and clear fragrance was even stronger.

Xie Xiaofeng asked, “Is this tea or medicine?”

The old man said, “It is tea. And it is medicine.”

Looking at the flickering but bright firelight, his old face had a strange expression. He slowly continued, “You are still young. You probably do not understand and appreciate the taste of bitter tea.”

Xie Xiaofeng responded, “However I already understand that only through bitterness would you get the extra sweetness.”

The old man turned his head and looked at him. He suddenly laughed; every wrinkle was filled with joy.

Afterward he lifted the copper pot and said, “Good. You drink a cup.”

Xie Xiaofeng asked, “How about you?”

The old man replied, “I am not drinking.”

The old man squinted his eyes and warmly said, “Because I had already experienced all kinds and types of bitterness in this world.” These seemed to be very desolate words; but coming from his mouth it seemed to have another feeling.

Xie Xiaofeng asked, “If you are not drinking, why were you preparing the tea?”

Old man replied, “People that prepare the tea are not necessarily the one that will drink it.”

Within he squinted eye, there seemed to be flickering light. He slowly continued, “A lot of things in the world are like this. You are still young, of course you wouldn’t understand.”

Xie Xiaofeng received the cup filled with bitter tea. He almost couldn’t help but laugh.

He did not laugh, nor did he want to dispute.

Being refer to as a young man wasn’t bad. What wasn’t good was that this young man was nearing death.

The tea was still boiling hot. The crude tea cup holding the tea was small. He drank it all in one gulp. It didn’t matter whether he was drinking tea or wine; he drank it fast. It didn’t matter what he was doing; he did things fast. Was it because he believed his life would end fast?

He finally couldn’t hold back and laughed. He suddenly said, “There something that if I say it out, you would’ve been shock.”

The old man was looking at his cynical smile waiting for his words.

Xie Xiaofeng said, “I am already a person nearing death.”

The old man was not shock. He didn’t even had a hint of surprised on his face.

Xie Xiaofeng said, “I am telling the truth.“

The old man said, “I could tell.”

Xie Xiaofeng asked, “Are you going to tell me to get off the boat?”

The old man shook his head.

Xie Xiaofeng said, “But I could die any moment here, in front of you.”

The old man said, “I have seen people die, and I have seen dead people.”

Xie Xiaofeng said, “If I were you, I would not let a stranger die on my boat.”

The old man said, “You are not me. And you will not die on my boat.”

The old man replied, “Because you met me.”

Xie Xiaofeng asked, “Since I met you, I will not die?”

The old man replied, “Yes”

His voice was very calm and assertive, “Since you met me, it’ll be difficult for you to even die.”

The old man replied, “Because I also do not want a stranger to die in my boat.”

Xie Xiaofeng laughed again.

The old man asked, “You think I couldn’t save you?”

Xie Xiaofeng replied, “You only saw my wound but didn’t see my poison; so you thought you could save me.”

The old man said, “Oh?”

Xie Xiaofeng said, “My wounds may be on the skin surface; but the poison is bone deep.”

The old man said, “Oh?”

Xie Xiaofeng said, “No one could cure my poison.”

The old man asked, “Not even one?”
    Xie Xiaofeng replied, “Perhaps there is one.”

He patted his clothes and got up. He slowly continued, “This person, nevertheless, shouldn’t be you.”

The old man asked, “So now you’re thinking of walking away?”

Xie Xiaofeng replied, “All I can do is walk away.”

The old man said, “You can’t walk.”

Xie Xiaofeng asked, “Could it be that, since I met you I can’t even walk away?”

The old man said. “Can not.”

The old man replied, “Because your drank my bitter tea.”

Xie Xiaofeng asked, “Could it be that you wanted me to compensate you?”

The old man replied, “You can’t afford it.”

Xie Xiaofeng wanted to laugh, but couldn’t laugh.

He suddenly realized his fingers and toes were completely numb, and it slowly spreading into other parts of his body.

The old man said, “Do you know what kind of tea you just drank?”
    Xie Xiaofeng shook his head.

The old man said, “That was Wumasan (Five Numbing Powder).”
    Xie Xiaofeng said, “Wumasan?”

The old man said, “This is a Huatuo’s41 secret recipe. After Huatuo passed away, it had been lost for many years.”

He slowly continued, “However one person was determine to find the secret to this formulation. He spent seventeen years of effort and attempted a various herbs around the world. He even used his own wife and daughter to experiment.”

Xie Xiaofeng said, “Did he succeeded?”

The old man slowly nodded and said, “That’s right. He succeeded. However, his daughter had already become blind. His wife had become mad.”

Xie Xiaofeng was shocked and looked at him. He asked, “This person is you?”

The old man replied, “This person isn’t me. It just that before he jumped into a river, he give me the secret formulation.”

Xie Xiaofeng asked, “He jumped into a river?”

The old man said, “If you turned your daughter and wife into that, you would jump too.”

He coldly stared at Xie Xiaofeng, and then coldly asked him, “A tea like this, are you worthy?”

Xie Xiaofeng said, “I am not worthy.”

He bitterly smiled and said, “However if I had known what kind of tea this is, I wouldn’t have drank it.”

The old man said, “Well, you already drank it.”

Xie Xiaofeng forcibly laughed.

The old man said, “So right now your four limbs are starting to become numb. You won’t feel any pain from someone cutting into you.”

Xie Xiaofeng asked, “And then?”

The old man did not answer. He slowly took out a black leather box.

The leather box was flat and thin. Although it looked old, it had this mysterious gloss on it from constant handling. The old man slowly opened this leather box. Inside there was a dull ray of light.

It was light from the edges of dao42 (knives).

Thirteen pair of knives.

Thirteen pair of distinct shape knives; some looked like sickle hook, some looked like saw tooth, some are narrow and long, some curved and warp. These thirteen pair of knives only had one thing in common — their edges were very thin; thin and sharp. The old man was still staring at these thirteen blade edges. The old eyes had a glint of light sharper than any blade edge.

“Then I’ll use these on you.”

The old man finally answered Xie Xiaofeng’s question, “Use those thirteen knives.”

Xie Xiaofeng sat down again. That type of fearful numbness had almost spread throughout his entire body. Only his eyes can still see.

He could also see those thirteen blades. It was hard for him not to see it.

The river water was still flowing quietly. The stove light grew dimmer.

The old man held up a long and narrow blade — nine cun (inch) long but only seven fen43 wide.

“First I would use this blade to cut your flesh.” The old man said, “Those rotten flesh.”

“And then?”

“Then I would handle you with this blade.”

The old man held up a hook like blade, “I’ll use this to tear open your bloody flesh.”

“And then?”

“Then I’ll use this blade to press down and open up your flesh on your bone.”

The old picked another blade, “Then I’ll dig out the poison on your bone. Dig it all out and into the root of the poison”

An old man wanted to tear apart your flesh, and press down and open up your bone. Xie Xiaofeng did not even bat an eye.

The old man looked at him and said, “However I can guarantee you will not feel any pain.”

Xie Xiaofeng asked, “Is it because I drank that wumasan?”

The old man replied, “That’s right. This is what wumasan is used for.”

Xie Xiaofeng asked, “This is the only way to remove the poison in my body?”

The old man replied, “Right now, this seems to be the only way.”

Xie Xiaofeng asked, “You already know that I was poisoned, so you’d already prepared everything?”

The old man replied, “That’s right.”

Xie Xiaofeng asked, “How did you know?”

The old man replied, “I had been watching you.”

The old man replied, “I want to use your life to exchange it for someone else’s life.”

Xie Xiaofeng asked, “Which person?”

The old man replied, “A person that kills people.”

Xie Xiaofeng asked, “What kind of people does he kill?”

The old man replied, “Some that deserve to be killed, some that didn’t deserve to be killed.”

Xie Xiaofeng asked, “So he needs to be kill?”

The old man replied, “A person that does not deserved to be kill, I do not need you to kill. And you wouldn’t kill him either!”

His eye had a strange expression, “I promise you wouldn’t regret killing him.”

Xie Xiaofeng did not say anything.

He suddenly felt that fearful numbness was seeping into his brain, his heart.

He could still hear the old man asked, “Do you want to die?”

He had also heard himself say, “I do not.”

The last sound he heard was the noise of a cutting edge scraping onto a bone.

It was his bone.

However, he had no feelings.

Sky was bright. Sunshine everywhere. The earth was splendid.

Sky was dark. Moonlight shining. Stars filled the sky.

No matter whether the sky was bright or dark, there are still beautiful facets of life. If a person can live on, why die?

Who would want to die?

Xie Xiaofeng did not die. His first sensation was a pair of hands performing a massage therapy on his chest.

This hand was very neat and stable. The palm of the hand was rough with callus. Afterward he heard his heartbeat, from faint beat to growing more stable. He knew this pair of hands saved his life.

The old man was looking at him. A pair of tired and old eyes had unexpectedly become limpid and bright like the starlight in the autumn night sky.

He suddenly realized this old man was much younger than he originally thought.

The old man finally let out a breath and said, “Right now you can continue living. As long as you are willing, you can live a bit longer than anyone else. Right now your bones are like a newly picked cob of corn. Just as fresh and clean.”

Xie Xiaofeng did not open his mouth. He suddenly thought of what Jian Chuanxue said.

— Right now in the world, there is only one person that could save you.

— However if he saves you, he would definitely die under your sword.

[End of Chapter 41]

Footnotes
    38. Duibuqi (对不起), means sorry. However, unlike the English word ‘sorry’, which is an adjective, duibuqi is also a verb. It means “doing something in which you will be sorry for later”. The Chinese text says “I sorry him”, which really means “I am doing something to him in which I will be sorry for.” Although I translated it as “I’ll let him down”, the key is that the subject is taking an action that’ll lead to the subject “being sorry”.
    39. 1 cun is about 3.33 cm or 1.313 inches.
    40. Suppose to be an exclamation sigh.
    41. Huatuo (华佗), famous doctor during the Chinese Three Kingdoms period.
    42. dao is a general term for single edge blade weapon. Both saber and knives fall into the single edge blade weapon category.
    43. Fen is one tenth of cun, about 0.33 cm.

A splendid chapter, full of imageries ... thanks kaister.

Thanks!

Rather touching:
    Jian Chuanxue clenched his fist and bit down on his teeth, “I can not say, definitely can not say…”
    His voice seemed resolute; however, his body already rushed out. He loudly called out, “Xie Xiaofeng, wait!

A question that may be a spoiler:
    click to show/hide spoilers
    In shaw movie adaptation, Fu HongXue (Bordertown Wanderer) and another character from another Gu Long's movie adaptation made an appearance to helped XXF fight off baddies, before this scene at the riverside happened... Guess the novel is different?
    Last edited by ycb5959; 07-03-14 at 12:42 AM.

Thanks kaister

Thanks kaister!

13 knives....hmm, quite telling isn't it? Lol

Dear Kaister. Always a pleasure to read your translation. Thanks.