Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: The Sword of the Third Young Master

Thanks kaister

California City, California, United States

Thanks kaister

Default Chapter 43

Chapter 43
    Like the Palm of My Hand

Jian Chuanxue must be wrong. He had no reason to kill this old man. Even if there was a reason, he would not make such a move.

Jian Chuanxue must be talking about another person. Or perhaps he never knew a old man like him existed and did not know that Huatuo’s secret formulation still exist.

Xie Xiaofeng let out a sigh of relief; he was quite satisfied with his theory.

The old man said, “Some people seem to be born luckier that others. Even the heavenly father gives him special treatment.”

He looked at Xie Xiaofeng, “You’re this kind of person. You recovered far quicker than I thought.”

Xie Xiaofeng could not refute this point. No one could refute this. His physical strength was indeed far stronger than others.

What could be considered miracles that happened on other people could happen to him at any time.

The old man said, “After two or three more days, you would be fully recovered.”

Xie Xiaofeng asked, “Afterward, I will need to help you kill somebody?”

The old man replied, “This is the condition I have for you to exchange for your life.”

Xie Xiaofeng asked, “So I must do this?”

The old man replied, “You must.”

Xie Xiaofully forcibly laughed and said, “I had kill before and would not mind killing another.”

The old man said, “I know.”

Xie Xiaofeng said, “But this person, I haven’t even seen his face.”

The old man said, “I would let you see him.”

He suddenly laughed. He laughed mysteriously, “Once you see him, you would definitely want to kill him.”

Xie Xiaofeng asked, “Why?”

The old man said, “Because he deserves to die!”

His smile disappeared, his eye showing sorrow and hatred.

Xie Xiaofeng said, “You hated him that much?”

The old man said, “I hate him more than anyone else could imagine.”

He gripped his hand and slowly continued, “Because I was ruined by him. If it wasn’t for him, I would’ve living a much happier life.”

Xie Xiaofeng did not ask again.

He suddenly thought of his life. Was his life fortunate or unfortunate?

He suddenly couldn’t help asked himself: “My life, how did it become like this?”

Inside the cramped and small boat, the window was opened wide. The moonlight was shining brightly above the river.

The old man looked at the moon through the window and said, “Today is already the thirteenth.”

Xie Xiaofeng remarked, “Thirteenth?”

He seemed surprised because until this moment he wasn’t aware the he had slept for two days.

The old man said, “On the night of the full moon, you would see him.”

Xie Xiaofeng said, “He would come here?”

The old man said, “He would not come here, but you would go. You have to go.”

Xie Xiaofeng asked, “To where?”

The old man pointed his finger outside the window and replied, “Go on this road.”

The light boat had docked. Under the moonlight, there was a small path that was almost covered up by the Amur sliver grass.

The old man said, “Follow this path and you’ll see a maple forest. After the maple forest, there will be a small inn. You might as well lodge there and rest for two days.”

Xie Xiaofeng asked, “And then?”

The old man replied, “Wait until the night of the fifteenth when the full moon rises. You can follow the road at the back entrance of the inn and enter the maple forest. You will see the person I wanted you to kill.”

Xie Xiaofeng asked, “How could I tell he is that person?”

The old man replied, “Once you see him, you would know right away.”

The old man replied, “Because he will be there waiting to kill me. You’ll sense this killing aura!”

Xie Xiaofeng could not refute that. Killing aura is not something you can see or touch. However for a person like him, he would’ve been able to sense it. Only people like him could sense it.

The old man said, “Once he sees you, he’ll sense your killing aura. So even if you didn’t make your move, he’ll still try to kill you.”

Xie Xiaofeng forcibly smiled and said, “It looks like I don’t even have a choice.”

The old man said, “You originally don’t.”

Xie Xiaofeng asked, “But how do you know he’ll be there?”

The old man replied, “We had already planned to meet up there. If he doesn’t die, I would die by his hand. This was also something without a choice.” His voice was low and strange. His eyes had that sorrowful expression.

After a long while, he finally continued, “This is also our fate. It something no one could escape from.”

Xie Xiaofeng understood what he meant. To some people, fate is cruel. However, this old man didn’t seem like these people.

— Could it be that he had a sad and painful past?

— What kind of person was he in the past?

“What kind of person is he now?”

Xie Xiaofeng wanted to ask but he did not. He knew the old man would not answer. He didn’t even ask this old man’s name.

The name was not important. What was important was the fact that this old man did save his life. To him, knowing this single point was enough.

The old man was staring at him and suddenly said, “Right now you can leave.”

Xie Xiaofeng asked, “Right now you want me to leave?”

The old man replied, “Right now I want you to leave.”

The old man replied, “Because our trade has been agreed upon on.”

Xie Xiaofeng asked, “Could it be that we can’t even become friends?”

The old man replied, “No.”

The old man replied, “Because some people naturally can not have any friends.”

Xie Xiaofeng asked, “You are this type of people?”

The old man replied, “It does not matter whether I am or not, because you are.”

He also understood what he meant. Some people are destined to be alone, and this is their fate.

The old man slowly continued, “Can anyone change their destiny? If you insisted on changing their destiny, it’ll only lead to tragedy.”

His eyes showed that bright flickering light again, “You must remember these words. This is from lessons of lifelong experiences and tragedies.”

The night was not completely dark; but it was approaching a very dark blue shade.

Xie Xiaofeng walked on the narrow plank, on the wet riverbank. He realized his legs were still very weak.

The old man said, “You have to remember to sleep for two whole days.”

His tone sounded very considerate, “Because that person is absolutely not easy to handle. You’ll need your full strength.”

This type of sincere concerns always makes a vagrant feel melancholic.

Xie Xiaofeng did not turn around, but he couldn’t help asked, “What else do I need?”

The old man replied, “Still a need a little bit of luck, and a sword…a very quick sword!”

The old man’s light boat disappeared.

The dark blue flowing water. The dark blue night.

Xie Xiaofeng was finally on the small path covered by Amur silver grass. He kept on walking. He wasn’t thinking of anything else. He just wanted to quickly reach the small inn outside the maple forest. He only wanted to see the full moon rises.

Under the full moon, what kind of person would be waiting for him outside the maple forest? Would he be able to obtain the bit of luck he needed? Or that fast sword? He had no assurance. Even the Xie Xiaofeng that was peerless in the world, he had no confidence!

He slowly sensed who that person might be!

Only tiger or leopard can seek out another tiger or leopard. Only a tiger or leopard, can sense the presence of another tiger or leopard. This is because they are the same kind.

Beside themselves, there are not other animal in the world that can engulf them!

That’s why they are always so lonely.

“How many friends do I have in my life? How many women?” Xie Xiaofeng was asking himself. Of course he had friends, had women. However, how many friends were truly loyal to him? How many women truly belong to him?

He thought of Tie Kaicheng, thought of Jian Chuanxue, and thought of Old Miaozi. He also thought about Wa Wa and Murong Qiudi.

— Was other remorseful towards him? Or was he remorseful toward them? He should not think. His heart was aching to the point where bitter water was coming out of his mouth.

He also asked himself, “In my life, how many enemies did I have?”

This time his answer was more sure. People that hated him didn’t have that many reasons; it was because he was Xie Xiaofeng. The number of people that hated him were not small. He never minded. Perhaps he only minded one person. This person had cast a unremovable shadow in his heart.

He always hoped he would meet this person. This person always hoped to meet him. He knew they would eventually meet.

— If this world had a Xie Xiaofeng, and this world had a Yan Shisan. They would eventually meet.

— When they meet, one person’s blood would cover the other person’s sword blade.

This was their destiny!

Right now that day was finally here!

Maple forest. The maple leaves were red like fire.

Outside the maple forest there was indeed a small inn. It supplementary sold wine.

The travelers on the road were typically lonely. As long as the inn’s patrons were lonely in their hearts, the inn would always sell wine. It didn’t matter whether it was a big inn or small inn; they were all the same.

What could help cope with loneliness better than alcohol?

The owner of the inn was a slow-witted and obese old man, but he had a young wife. Within these big and expressionless eyes, there was always this sense of being perplexed and tired. Around dusk, she was asininely sitting behind the counter and asininely looking outside on the road. It was as if she was waiting for a prince on white horse to take her away for this boring and tedious life.

This type of life was not suitable for energetic young people; but there were two energetic young people working as the waiters. They were taking care of the inn like a loving mother taking care of her child: bearing the burden willingly, putting in their utmost effort, without questioning the price they were paying, and not bickering about receiving any reward.

After seeing the owner’s young wife, their eyes had become full of enthusiasm. It might be because of this enthusiasm, they stayed here. Xie Xiaofeng would soon be able to confirm this.

He suddenly realized that pair of large and lost eyes, was hiding this hard to put to word kind of temptation.

When he arrived at this inn that evening, he had already realized.

He obviously also discovered something else.

At dusk, she had four small dishes and a pot of hot porridge and brought it into Xie Xiaofeng’s room personally. She typically did not do these things, but for whatever reason she made an exception today.

Xie Xiaofeng saw her put one dish at a time on the table.

Although she stayed mostly behind the counter, her waist was still very small. With soft clothing, the portion below her waist suddenly tightened. It made her curves protruded even more in front of Xie Xiaofeng’s eyes. Even the mysterious part of a woman’s body was not an exception.

Xie Xiaofeng was fortunate to be facing her back. He could have no reservation looking at these points.

Was she doing this intentionally or unintentionally? Regardless, Xie Xiaofeng’s heart was already beating, beating very fast.

It had been too long since he came at close contact with a woman, especially her type of woman.

In the beginning he wasn’t aware of it. Even now, it was hard to believe.

However, this boorish, lazy, and kind of dirty woman was actually a real woman. Every part of her body had this primitive and sufficiently attracts-people-to-commit-an-offense type of heat. He still remember the name her husband called her.

He called her, “Qing Qing.”

Was it ‘Qing Qing’ (blue) or ‘Qin Qin’ (dear)?

Thinking about the slow-witted and obsess old man’s body pressing on her young body and calling her “Qin Qin’, Xie Xiaofeng couldn’t help feeling a bit bad. It was not known when she had turned around but she was currently staring at him with that pair of big and lost eyes.

Xie Xiaofeng was not a child; he did not shied away from her stare. A man like him would not hide his interest in another woman.

He faintly smiled and said, “Next time you enters a guest’s room, you should wear thicker clothes.”

She did not smile nor blush.

Her eyes were shifting lower to a part of his body that had experienced a change. She suddenly said, “You are not a good person.”

Xie Xiaofeng bitterly laughed, “I never was.”

Qing Qing said, “You never really wanted me to change to a thicker clothing. You only wanted me to remove this set of clothing.”

She was definitely a crude woman; however, her words were hard for anyone to deny.

Qing Qing said, “Although you’re thinking about this in your heart, you mouth daren’t say it because I’m another man’s wife.”

Xie Xiaofeng said, “Could it be that you’re not?”

Qing Qing said, “Whether I am someone else’s wife, it’s the same.”

Xie Xiaofeng said, “Same…?”

Qing Qing said, “I’m originally came here to seduce you.”

Xie Xiaofeng was taken back.

Qing Qing said, “Because you are not a good man and you don’t look too bad. Because you don’t seem poor and penniless. I need some money so I used this way to earn some an extra income. If I don’t seduce you, who would I seduce?”

Xie Xiaofeng wanted to laugh but couldn’t. He had heard of woman saying these type of words. However, he had never imagined a woman say it in this type of attitude. Her attitude was solemn and serious, like an honest businessman making an honest trade.

Qing Qing said, “My husband knew about this. The income of this place is not sufficient to feed one person. He could only allow me to use this method to earn extra income. Even the salaries of those two workers are paid for using this method.”

If another woman said these words, it would be revolting.

However, this woman was different.

Because it was as if she was born to be this type of woman, born to do this kind of business.

It is like pork meat. It doesn’t matter what method is used to cook the pork, it will similarly make hungry people’s mouth water.

Xie Xiaofeng finally laughed. In such a situation, if a man was laughing it meant the deal has been agreed upon on.

Qing Qing suddenly went over there. She used her warm and well-developed body and pressed against him. Her waist was softly rubbing on him. However, when Xie Xiaofeng reached out with his hand, she suddenly nimbly moved away.

She was just letting him get a little sample, “Today I will come again. Leave your door open and keep the light off.”

Night. Xie Xiaofeng blew out the lamplight.

His body still had her inexpensive cosmetic’s fragrance. However he, in his mind, did not feel like he was committing a crime. He was never an ordinary person. His attitude toward a situation was not the same as an ordinary person. Beside this was a very ancient and honest business; this woman needed to live.

He needed a woman.

Most people from Jianghu believed the night before a battle, you mustn’t come in contact with a woman’s charm.44 Woman’s charm typically leads to a loss of physical strength.

Xie Xiaofeng had a different perspective on the matter. He didn’t see it as a loss but a temper.

For example, wine should not be water-downed. However, a long stored nu’zhen needs a bit of water added to bring out it full alcoholic flavor. He was in the same situation. This battle could be his last battle.

The opponent he will meet in the battle could be the strongest he had ever faced. Before the battle, he had to allow himself to fully relax.

Only a woman could allow him to relax.

— He was Xie Xiaofeng.

— Xie Xiaofeng was not allowed to lose.

Therefore as long as it was for victory, he shouldn’t mind other things.

The window was closed. The window paper was quick thick, not even the moonlight could shine in.

The moon would be full soon, yet the room was dark. Xie Xiaofeng was lying down waiting quietly in the dark. He was waiting but he didn’t have to wait long.

The door was opened and the moonlight followed in. A slender silhouette of a person in a wide gown was in the middle of this moonlight. The door immediately closed and the silhouette was swallowed by the darkness.

Xie Xiaofeng did not open his mouth. She didn’t either.

The night was quiet. She didn’t even make any footstep noise. It was likely that she was carrying her shoe and walked in barefooted. However Xie Xiaofeng could feel her coming closer to the bedside. He could sense the wide gown slipping off her body.

There must be nothing underneath the wide gown.

She was not the type of woman that likes extra inconveniences. She didn’t want to trouble herself either.

Her body was warm, soft, and slim but quite ample.

They still haven’t said a word.

Speeches were rather extraneous at this point. They used a long-used and ancient method; they swallow (kiss) each other.

She was more passionate than he thought. He like this type of passion, but he already realized she was not the woman called “Qing Qing”!

Who was she? She was not that woman, but she was a woman. A real woman. A woman among women.

Who was she?

The bed usually makes these annoying sounds. They moved to the floor.

The soundless floor was cold and hard.

What he received was far more than he had imagine. What he gave up was also far more than he imagine.

He took a deep breath.

After he took the deep breath, he softly sighed.

“It’s you.”

She slowly sat up. The voice had this unusual sense of cynicism. It was not sure if it was toward him or toward herself.

“It’s me.”

She said, “I know you would never dream that it could be me.”

The moon would soon be full. She opened the small window next to the bed. Her pitch-black hair scattered on her shoulder of her naked body. Under the moonlight, she seems to a be a new and openly flirtatious young lass.

She, of course, was not a young girl anymore.

“I know you would want a woman. When you are nervous, you would be like this.”

She had always understood him well.

“However, I knew you wouldn’t want me.”

She softly sighed, “Other than me, you wouldn’t refuse any woman. However, you would definitely refuse me.”

“So that’s why you did this?!”

“Only this way, would you want me.”

“Why must you?”

“Because I still like you.”

She turned around and looked directly at Xie Xiaofeng. Eyeballs were even more limpid than the moonlight, and even more tender.

She was saying truthful words. He also believed it. They knew each other too well; there was no need to lie.

Perhaps it was because of this that she loved him, that she wanted him dead!

It was because she was Murong Qiudi. However, she was not the Amur silver grass in the autumn breeze.45 Instead she was winter plum in the winter snow; the poppy in hot spring valleys; roses in winter days: stubborn, poisonous, and full of thorns.

A bee stinger like thorn.46

Xie Xiaofeng asked, “You can see that I am nervous?”

[End of Chapter 43]

Footnotes

44. nu’se (女色), lit. "woman color", means female charms or femininity.
    45. Her name is Qiudi (秋荻), individually qiu is autumn and di is short of dihua or Miscanthus sacchariflorus, which is Amur silver grass.
    46. Xie Xiaofeng’s feng(峰) sound similar to bee (蜂), which is also pronounce feng. Not sure if this is intentional, just wanted to point this out.

Quote Originally Posted by ycb5959 View Post

A question that may be a spoiler:
    click to show/hide spoilers
    In shaw movie adaptation, Fu HongXue (Bordertown Wanderer) and another character from another Gu Long's movie adaptation made an appearance to helped XXF fight off baddies, before this scene at the riverside happened... Guess the novel is different?
    I'm not familiar with that movie. What I do know is that from various copies of the novel I'd read FHX is not mentioned.

how many chapters are there in this novel? where can I get the first twelve chapters?? I saw the first post starts from chapter 13...
    Last edited by oniontsukii; 07-07-14 at 08:17 AM.

Thanks kaister

Quote Originally Posted by oniontsukii View Post
    how many chapters are there in this novel? where can I get the first twelve chapters?? I saw the first post starts from chapter 13...
    47 total.

If you go to the unabridged thread, it'll have ch. 1-7. On the same thread, it'll list out all the links to the thread from the previous translation. I'll continue working on that after I'm done with the ch. 47. By then, I'll resume work on ch. 8.

Quote Originally Posted by kaister View Post
    47 total.

If you go to the unabridged thread, it'll have ch. 1-7. On the same thread, it'll list out all the links to the thread from the previous translation. I'll continue working on that after I'm done with the ch. 47. By then, I'll resume work on ch. 8.
    Thanks. So from chapter 8-12 missing... I really really do hope that you will do it. You are doing a great job and the story seems interesting.

Default Chapter 44

Man, dat description at the end...lol. I had this 'I have no idea what I'm typing' moment when translating that section. LOL

#####

Chapter 44
    The Life Snatching Sword

Murong Qiudi said, “I can not see, but I know. If you are not nervous why would you be interested in that woman with the dead fish eyes?”

She sat down besides him, “However I do not understand why you would be this nervous.”

Xie Xiaofeng asked, “You have things you don’t understand?”

Murong Qiudi softly sighed and replied, “Perhaps I do know why. It’s probably I don’t want to believe it.”

Xie Xiaofeng responded, “Oh?”

Murong Qiudi said, “I had always understood you. Only fear can make you nervous.”

Xie Xiaofeng asked, “What am I afraid of?”

Murong Qiudi said, “You are afraid of being defeated under another person’s sword.”

Her voice had a tone of cynicism, “Because the Xie Third Young Master is never allowed to be defeated.”

Although they were cushioned on beddings, the floor was still cold and hard.

She shifted her sitting position and placed her body weight on Xie Xiaofeng’s thigh. Afterward she continued, “However there are not many people that can threaten you in this world. Perhaps there is only one.”

Xis Xiaofeng asked, “Who?”

Murong Qiudi replied, “Yan Shisan.”

Xie Xiaofeng asked, “How do you know it is him?”

Murong Qiudi replied, “Of course I know. It is because you are Xie Xiaofeng and he is Yan Shisan. The two of you would eventually meet one day; and one of you would eventually die under the other’s sword.”

She sighed, “This is both of your destinies. No one could change it. Not even I can change it.”

Xie Xiaofeng asked, “You?”

Murong Qiudi replied, “I originally wanted you to die under my hand. Unbelievably there was someone that rescued you.”

Xie Xiaofeng asked, “Do you know who’s that person?”

Murong Qiudi bitterly smiled, “If I know a person like him existed in this world, I would’ve killed him.”

She sighed again, “Although I know now, it is too late.”

Xie Xiaofeng asked, “Right now you know who he is?”

Murong Qiudi said, “He is Duan Shisan.47 He has thirteen knives but they’re used to save lives.”

Xie Xiaofeng said, “How come I have never heard of this person?”

Murong Qiudi said, “Because Yan Shisan wanted to kill him. As long as Yan Shisan is alive, he would not dare show his face.”

Xie Xiaofeng suddenly took a deep sigh, as if he had let go of a huge responsibility, “Right now I felt relieved. “

Murong Qiudi said, “Relived on what?”

Xie Xiaofeng said, “I had always suspect he is Yan Shisan. He saved me because he wanted to have a duel with me.”

Murong Qiudi said, “However he did indeed saved your life. How could you let him die under your sword?”

Xie Xiaofeng replied, “That’s right.”

Murong Qiudi said, “If that is indeed what you are worrying about, you should feel relived right now.”

She gently caressed his chest, “I know Yan Shisan is no match for you, you definitely could kill him.”

Xie Xiaofeng looked at her, couldn’t help but asked, “You came all the way here, to put me at ease?”

Murong Qiudi gently said, “I came here only because I still like you.”

Her voice had reveals her truthful feeling, “Although sometimes I do hate you, hate you to the point that I wanted you dead; however, if someone wanted to touch you I would get mad. If you are to die, you should die in my hand.”

She was speaking out her true feelings.

In her life, it was possible she was living under contradiction and suffering.

She wanted to find happiness. Everyone has a right to find happiness. However, her methods were wrong. Xie Xiaofeng sighed and gently pushed her hands away.

Perhaps they were both wrong, but he didn’t want to think about this any longer. He suddenly felt really tired.

Murong Qiudi asked, “What are you currently thinking?”

Xie Xiaofeng replied, “I only wanted to fine a place to get a good sleep.”

Murong Qiudi asked, “You don’t want to sleep here?”

Xie Xiaofeng replied, “With you besides me, I can not sleep!”

Murong Qiudi asked, “Why not?”

Xie Xiaofeng replied, “Because I do not want to die in your hand, at least not right now.”

Murong Qiudi, of course, wouldn’t have kept him here. She understood his personality. If he wanted to go, no one could hold onto him.

If you held his hand, he would’ve chop his hand and leave anyways. If you had chopped his legs off, he would've crawl his way out.

However, today, she did grabbed onto his hand. She said, "Today you can relax and sleep here."

She explained, "Even if I had hated you enough to want to kill you in the past, today I don't. At least I'm not thinking about it today."

Xie Xiaofeng laughed, "Perhaps today is a very special day?"

Murong Qiudi said, “Today is not specially a good day, but there's a special person coming."

Xie Xiaofeng asked, "Who?"

Murong Qiudi slowly sat up. She coiled her black cloud like long hair on top of her head. Finally gently said, "You should remember we still have a son."

Of course, Xie Xiaofeng remembered. In these days, he had already learned how to forget things he shouldn't remember. However, these were things he did not want to forget, nor could forget.

He almost couldn't help jump up, "He also came?"

Murong Qiudi slowly nodded and said, “I brought him here.”

Xie Xiaofeng tightly gripped onto her hand and said, “Where is he now?”

Murong Qiudi said, “He does not know you are here. You wouldn’t be able to find him.”

She lightly sighed and said, “Even if you found him, so what? Do you not know he hates you? Hated that you never treated him as a son. Hated that you never take your responsibility as a father.”

She glared at Xie Xiaofeng, “Could it be that you now have the courage to admit you are his father?”

Xie Xiaofeng let go of her; his hands were cold, his heart even colder.

Murong Qiudi said, “However if you can defeat Yan Shisan, I’ll bring him to see you. Then you can tell him you are his father.”

Her eye had a hint of pain, “If a boy never know who his father is, not only would he suffer in life, his mother would suffer too.”

Xie Xiaofeng asked, “So you never told him you are his mother either?”

Murong Qiudi admitted, “I did not!”

Her expression was even more painful, “However I am already getting older. I almost have everything I ever wanted. Right now, I only want a son; a son like him.”

Xie Xiaofeng asked, “Could it be that you are determined to tell him everything?”

Murong Qiudi replied, “I would also tell him you are not wrong. I am the one that’s wrong.”

Xie Xiaofeng could not believe nor dare to believe.

He couldn’t bear asking, “If you are so determine, why do you have to wait until I defeated Yan Shisan?”

Murong Qiudi replied, “If you don’t win, you’ll be dead.”

Xie Xiaofeng could not deny that. There could only be a Xie Xiaofeng that died in battle, never a Xie Xiaofeng that was defeated in a battle.

Murong Qiudi said, “If you die under Yan Shisan’s sword, then why should I let him know he has a father like you? Why should I increase his pains and agonies?”

She spoke one word at a time, “Why should I send him to death?”

Xie Xiaofeng asked, “Send to death?”

Murong Qiudi replied, “If he know his father died under Yan Shisan’s sword, of course he wanted revenge. How could he be a match against Yan Shisan? If that is not sending him to death, what is it?”

Xie Xiaofeng was silent. He could not deny that her words were reasonable. Furthermore, he definitely did not want to send his son to death.

Murong Qiudi smiled again and gently said, “However, I believe you will definitely not lose. You, yourself, should be very confident.”

Xie Xiaofeng kept his silence. After a while, he finally slowly said, “This time I don’t.”

Murong Qiudi seemed very shock, “Could it be that not even you can defeat his Douming Shisan Jian (Life Snatching Thirteen Sword)’?”

Xie Xiaofeng said, “The ‘Life Snatching Thirteen Sword’ are not fearful. The fearful one is the fourteenth sword stance.”

Murong Qiudi remarked, “There’s a fourteenth sword stance?”

Xie Xiaofeng answered, “Yes.”

Murong Qiudi asked, “Are you saying his ‘Life Snatching Thirteen Sword’ has a fourteenth variation?”

Xie Xiaofeng replied, “That’s right.”

Murong Qiudi said, “Even if there is one, I’m afraid not even he might know about it.”

Xie Xiaofeng said, “Even he didn’t know about it before, he definitely knows now.”

Murong Qiudi said, “However I believe even this fourteenth sword stance might not be able to beat you.”

She seemed to always have full confidence in him.

Xie Xiaofeng was pondering, after a long while finally answered, “That’s right. He might not be able to beat me.”

Murong Qiudi seemed happy again, “I imagine you might even have a way to counter this sword stance.”

Xie Xiaofeng did not answer. He again thought about that lightning-like strike.

— Yan Shisan’s fourteenth sword stance was indeed invincible and invulnerable. However after that lightning-like strike, it suddenly changed; it’d become laughable. This was what he said to Tie Kaicheng that day. He did not boast or exaggerate.

— What is a man thinking about right before he dies?

— Is he thinking about his love ones and friends? All his joys and pains?

— What he thought about wasn’t these.

The moments before death, he was still thinking about Yan Shisan’s fourteenth sword stance. He life was sacrificed for sword, before death how could he be thinking about other things?

— In that split second, he heart felt as if it was suddenly struck by lightning; it was a sudden inspiration.

Poets right before they recite an immortalized poem, they must’ve felt similar lightning strike in their heart.

However this sudden inspiration does not come by luck, it comes from concentration of all your life-long hard works; then your heart will have this lightning-struck inspiration.

Seeing Xie Xiaofeng’s expression, Murong Qiudi became extremely delighted, “I believe right now you have a method to break his fourteenth sword stance.”

She looked at him and smiled, “You needn’t keep you mouth shut, you can not hide this from me.”

Xie Xiaofeng said, “That’s right. I can counter that one stance, but…”

Murong Qiudi said, “But what?”

Xie Xiaofeng said, “But that one sword stance was not even his most ultimate move.”

His expression was earnest and serious. Murong Qiudi couldn’t refrain from showing emotion, “That sword stance is not it?”

Xie Xiaofeng replied, “Definitely not.”

Murong Qiudi asked, “Then what is the true essence of his swordplay?”

Xie Xiaofeng replied, “It’s the fifteenth sword stance!”

Murong Qiudi asked, “It is clearly ‘Life Snatching Thirteen Sword’, how come there is a fifteenth sword stance?”

Xie Xiaofeng replied, “His set of swordplay is profound and delicate. It most definitely has a fifteenth variation. That is like…like…”

Murong Qiudi asked, “Like what?”

Xie Xiefeng answered, “Like a flower.”

There was light in his eye because he finally found a suitable comparison.

He quickly continued, “The thirteen sword stances in the beginning are the stem. The fourteenth sword stance is the flower’s leaves. You must wait until the fifteenth transformation before the flower finally blooms. The fifteenth sword stance is actually the real flower.”

A good flower must be assisted by leaves and must have a stem to grow. However, if a flower doesn’t bloom, it is not truly consider a flower.

Xie Xiaofeng explained, “Life Snatching Thirteen Sword is the same, without the fifteenth sword stance, it basically has no value.”

Murong Qiudi asked, “What if there is a fifteenth sword stance?”

Xie Xiaofeng replied, “At that point, not only am I not his match, there are no one in this world that would be his match.”

Murong Qiudi asked, “At that point, you would definitely die under his sword?”

Xie Xiaofeng replied, “If I can witness the existence of such sword skill, even if I die under his sword I would die with no regrets!”

His face seemed to be glowing with excitement. Only with sword could his life have a purpose, could he be truly consider living! Only a sword could have an eternity; whether he existed doesn’t matter anymore. Murong Qiudi understood him, but could never understand this one point.

She also did not want to understand.

— In order to understand this, it requires too much pain, too much effort.

The only thing she cared about: “Right now did Yan Shisan develop this sword stance?”

Xie Xiaofeng did not answer. No one could answer this question. No one knew.

The night grew darker. The moon grew fuller.

Although it was a different place, it was still the same full moon. Although it was a different person, sometimes it was the same feeling.

Under the moonlight, there was a river with flowing water. On this river, there was a small boat.

On the boat there was a stove fire, a pot of tea, and a lonely old man.

The old man’s hand was holding a wooden stick and a knife — a four chi (feet) long wooden stick and seven cun (inch) long knife.

The old man was using this knife to slowly pare down this wooden stick.

— What was he cutting this stick into? Did he want to cut it into a sword?

The cutting edge was extremely fast. The knife on his hand was extremely stable. No matter who couldn’t tell such a feebly old man could have such a steady hand.

The wooden stick had slowly taken its shape. Surely, it was the shape of a sword.

A four chi (feet) long wooden stick became a three chi (feet) seven fun (inch) long sword. There was a blade edge and a sword tip.

The old man was lightly touching the edge of the sword. The stove firelight was flickering onto this face. His face had a strange expression.

No one could tell whether it was joy, sadness, or regret. However it you could see his eyes, you would understand that he was reminiscing.

Reminiscing the past that was full of happiness and joy, and full of sorrow and pain. He was holding onto the sword hilt and slowly stood up.

The sharp point was dangling, but his stooping body suddenly straightened up. He was completely standing up, as if in an instance he had became a completely different person.

This type of change was like a broken and worn down buried sword that was suddenly dug back up revealing a glimmering light.

He as a person was also the same. In one instance, he also seemed to be glowing. This type of glow made it seemed like he was full of life. It made him seemed at least twenty years younger.

— How could someone have such a drastic change simply because there was a sword in his hand?

— Was it because he was originally a glittering person?

The river water was flowing. The light boat was drifting on the water.

He looked as if he was a nail that was nailed at the front of the boat. He was gazing that the sword point he was holding on his hand. He gently thrust the sword out.

The sword was made out of peach wood; it was gloomy and awkward. However, when this sword was thrust out, the sword seemed as if it became radiant and lively.

He had already poured his life energy onto this piece of wooden sword.

A sword that was lightly thrust out should not have any change. However the changes appeared, appeared as natural as flowing water.

This sword in his hand was like a hatchet in Lu Ban’s48 hand, a brush in Xi’s49 hand; not only was there life, there was also spiritual energy.

He sketched in light shade and wave around in the dust, in a split moment struck out thirteen sword strikes. Swordplay was supposed to be agile and fluid, like the river water. However after these thirteen sword strikes, there seemed to be a sudden killing aura above the river water. There seemed to be a killing aura between heaven and earth.

The thirteenth sword struck out, all the changes seemed to be exhausted, like the flowing water reaches an end.

The sword’s momentum slowed down, very slow.

Although it was slowing down, it was still changing. Then suddenly the sword whipped out, neither here or there and without any orderly way. However this was like Wu Daozi50 putting the final touch to the eyes of the dragon.51 Although vain, it was a pivotal point to all the changes.

Afterward, he struck out his fourteenth sword stance.

The sword aura and killing aura above the river were strong, as if the whole sky was covered densely with dark clouds. After this sword stance struck out, suddenly it dispersed the dark clouds in the sky revealing the sunlight.

It was not the warm and calm type of sunlight, but the gold and rock melting type of intense sun with the blood red sunset. After this sword stance thrust out, all the changes and variation were truly at its end; the water that was already at the very end was already all dried up. His power was also exhausted.

However at this time, the sword tip suddenly had a strange motion. The sword tip was already tilting toward the stove fire; and after that sudden motion, the stove fire extinguished! The sword tip was in motion. Thought it was moving, it suddenly completely stopped. It was completely still. Even the light boat, which was gently rocking on the river, became still. It also seemed as if the flowing water underneath the boat stopped flowing.

No words can describe that situation. There is only one word, one very simple word — death!

No change, no life! What this sword brought was only death!

Only “death” is the end of all things, when they are truly at their end!

— Running water withered, changes exhausted, life end, destruction of all things!

This was the true essence of “Life Snatching Thirteen Sword”! This was truly a sword that “snatches lives”!

That one sword stance was impressively the fifteenth sword stance!

With a “bang” sound, the wooden sword broke!

[End of Chapter 44]

Footnote

47. Duan Shisan (段十三), surname Duan means sections, given name means “thirteen”.
    48. Lu Ban (鲁班), legendary master craftsman, called the father of Chinese carpentry.
    49. Xi (羲), short for Fuxi, a mythical emperor.
    50. Wu Daozi (吴道子), a famous and legendary Tang dynasty artist.
    51. hualongdianjing (画龙点睛), means add the touch that brings a work of art to life.

Thanks!!!!

A good prelude to what happens later. Never understood the ending when I watched the Shaw movie. Now I do. Thks kaister.

Thanks kaister

Gulong can definitely do "atmosphere". Thanks kaister for the wonderful translation. The Life snatching 13 swords don't seem so overblown now.

Default Chapter 45

Chapter 45
    Equal-Matched Opponents

The river water restored its flow. The light boat continued drifting. He, however, was still motionlessly standing there; body drenched in sweat, clothes all soaked up.

His face had an extremely strange expression; not sure if it was surprise, joy, or fear!

A type of fear bore out of a power that humankind is incapable of foreseeing or controlling! Only he knew; this was not a sword stance he created.

No man could have created this sword stance. No one could understand this sword stance variation or existence. This was just like “death”; no one could understand, no one could predict. The power in this change and variation was also something no one could control.

The vast land was in a sheet of darkness. He was standing in this darkness. It was like he was shivering, shivering with fear.

Why was he scared? Was it because he knew that not even he, himself, had the ability to control this sword?

On the river there was suddenly a long sigh. A person sighed and said, “How come ghost don’t cry? How come god has no tear?”

A boat appeared on the river, it looked like a huafang52 (decorated luxury boat) on yanyuhu (misty rain lake). The lamplight on the boat was extremely bright; there was a chess set, a bottle of wine, a zither, a roll of book, and a black rock under the light.

A whetstone for sword!

A person was standing at the front of the boat looking at this old man. He was looking at the broken sword on the old man’s hand. His eye was carrying a sign of indescribable sorrow and fear. The old man slowly lifted his head and looked at him.

“Do you still recognize me?”

“Of course I recognize you.”

— The huafang in Green Water Lake at Emerald Cloud Peak. The huafang had a ferryman who had nowhere to return to.

These were all that the old man would never forget. It was on this huafang where he reflected on his famed sword, where he reflected on his heroic years. It was this person who had sighed on his stupidity, who had admired his brilliance. What he did, was it brilliance or was it stupidity?

“Xie zhanggui53 (shopkeeper).”

“Yan Shisan.”

They stared at each other and then gloomily sighed, “Couldn’t believe we can still meet again.”

Xie-zhanggui sighed deeply, “Cangjie54 created the Chinese characters, and gods and demons sob at night. This sword stance you’ve created, the gods and demon should be similarly sobbing.”

The old man understood what he meant. This one sword did indeed divulge a heavenly secret, but lost the will of the heaven. The will of the heaven is humane. Since this sword stance had been created, from now on it would be unfathomable how many people would die under it.

The old man was silent. After a while, he gently said, “I did not create this one sword!”

Xie-zhanggui asked, “No?”

The old man shook his head and replied, “I created the Life Snatching Thirteen Sword, and discovered its fourteenth variation. However, I wasn’t satisfy and knew it must have another transformation.”

Xie-zhanggui asked, “So you had been seeking it out!”

The old man said, “That’s right. I’d been looking for it because I know that only with this transformation would I be able to defeat Xie Xiaofeng.”

Xie-zhanggui asked, “You had not been able to find it?”

The old man replied, “I spent all my energy and effort and still couldn’t find it, but Xie Xiaofeng had already died.”

— The pitch-black cover in Divine Sword Manor with the pitch-black coffin.

The old man sorrowfully said, “With Xie Xiaofeng dead, who under heaven is still my match? What reason do I have to search anymore?”

He took a long sigh and said, “So I not only drop my sword and buried my fame. At the same time, I put the idea of searching for that last transformation and drop it to the bottom of the lake.”

Xie-zhanggui was pondering and slowly said, “Perhaps it was because you were no longer intentionally looking for it therefore you found it.”

This one sword was the “god” within swordplay.

“God” is not something you can see nor can find. If god wants to come, it will come suddenly. However you must reach a state of “non-man, non-self, non-forgetfulness”55 before god comes. This is precisely the principle of “enlightenment” in Zen Buddhism.

Xie-zhanggui again said, “Right now, you obviously know the Third Young Master did not die.”

The old man nodded.

Xie-zhanggui asked, “Right now do you have the confidence to defeat him?”

The old man was staring at the broken sword in his hand. He said, “If only I have a good sword.”

Xie-zhanggui asked, “Do you wish to get back your sword?”

The old man responded, “I can still find it?”

Xie-zhanggui replied, “As long as you look for it, you will be able to find it.”

The old man asked, “Where can I look for it?”

Xie-zhanggui said, “Right here.”

The marking on the side of the boat was still there.

Xie-zhanggui said, “You should remember, you marked this with your own sword.”

— That famed sword had been depressed56 but how about the person? The person right now was here.

Some people were precisely like sharp weapon made with heavily refined steel; even if it was depressed, you can still felt its presence.

The old man couldn’t help but sighed deeply, “It’s unfortunate that this was not the place I sank the sword.”

Xie-zhanggui said, “Mark the boat to find sword57 is something only stupid people would do.”

The old man said, “That’s right.”

Xie-zhanggui said, “But you are not a stupid person. You marked the boat and sank your sword without the intention of coming back to find it again.”

The old man said, “That’s right.”

Xie-zhanggui said, “You did that unintentionally. No intention but there’s god’s will.”

He slowly continued, “If you could unintentionally found the essence of your swordplay, why couldn’t you unintentionally find your sword?”

The old man did not say anything because he had already saw his sword. In the pitch-black lake water, there was a sword floating up. He could already see the thirteen pearls on the sword scabbard.

The sword obviously did not float by itself and definitely did not find its former owner by itself. Sword basically didn’t have a soul. If there was a soul, it was due to the person holding the sword. This sword could float because Xie-zhanggui pulled it back up.

The old man was not shock. He could already see the thread on the sword’s edge, and could see the other end of the thread was on Xie-zhanggui’s hand. There are plenty of unfathomable and unexplainable phenomenons that occur in this world. It was only because they always have this type of thread that no one saw.

After many painful experiences, the old man finally understood this principle.

Xie-zhanggui still explained, “That day after you left, I had already fished up this sword. I have been safeguarding this for you.”

“Why did you do this?”

Xie-zhanggui said, “Because I know sooner or later you and the Third Young Master would meet again.”

The old man sighed and said, “I also know this is our destiny.”

Xie-zhanggui said, “No matter what, right now at least you found your sword.”

The sword was already on his hand. The thirteen pearls on the scabbard was still shining.

Xie-zhanggui again asked, “Right now do you have the confidence to defeat him?”

Yan Shisan did not answer. Right now his sword had returned to his hand. It was still as sharp as before.

He, with this sword, dominated the world and never lost a match. He had always been heartless and fearless. Besides, he had already found the essence of his swordplay; he would definitely become invincible in the world. However, there was an unspeakable fear in his sword. Though he did say it out, people could see it.

Even Xie-zhanggui could see this. He couldn’t help but asked, “You are scared? Scared of what?”

Yan Shisan replied, “Life Snatching Thirteen Sword is like a poisonous snake I am raising. Although it could kill someone and I am controlling it, but now…”

Xie-zhanggui asked, “Now what?”

Yan Shisan replied, “Now this poisonous snake had become a poisonous dragon. It already has it own mystical transformation.”

Xie-zhanggui asked, “Could it be that right now not even you can control it?”

Yan Shisan was silent. After a long while, slowly said, “I don’t know. No one knows…”

Because it was unknown, it was even scarier.

Xie-zhanggui seemed to have understood what he meant. They were both looking faraway at the same time, both of their eyes had a strange expression.

After a long while, Yan Shisan asked, “You specially brought my sword here, is it because you hope that I’ll defeat him?”

Xie-zhanggui actually admitted, “Yes.”

Yan Shisan asked, “You are not his friend?”

Xie-zhanggui replied, “I am.”

Yan Shisan asked, “Why do you hope that I’ll defeat him?”

Xie-zhanggui answered, “Because he had never been defeated before.”

Yan Shisan asked, “Why do you want him to be defeated?”

Xie-zhanggui replied, “Because after he is defeated once, he’ll realize he is not a god and not someone that could not be defeated. Only after this one lesson could he truly mature.”

Yan Shisan said, “You’re wrong.”

Xie-zhanggui asked, “Wrong about what?”

Yan Shisan said, “This idea is not wrong. It is wrong if applied to him.”

Xie-zhanggui asked, “Why?”

Yan Shisan replied, “Because he is not other people…because he is Xie Xiaofeng. Xie Xiaofeng could only die and could not be defeated!”

Xie-zhanggui asked, “How about Yan Shisan?”

Yan Shisan replied, “Yan Shisan is the same.”

Yan Shisan returned to his light boat. The light boat had already drifted away.

Xie-zhanggui returned to the front of the boat. He saw the light boat go into the distant. There was suddenly an unspeakable fear and sorrow in his heart.

There are always two types of people in this world. One type’s purpose in life is not for survival; it’s waiting to be ignited. Only when it is ignited will it shine brightly.

It doesn’t matter if it is just a fleeting moment of brightness.

Another type of people would only see other people ignite. They rely on other people’s brightness to shine on themselves. Which one are the smarter people?

He did not know. He only knew the sorrow was not for other people, it was for himself.

It was not nightfall yet. The setting sun was already turning red. It was red like it was burning.

The pine forest under the setting sun also looked like it was burning.

Xie Xiaofeng was sitting under the burning sunset, outside the burning pine forest. His hand did not have a sword, not even a carved wooden word. He was still waiting.

— Was he waiting for a person? Or waiting to be burned?”

Murong Qiudi was watching at him from faraway. She had been watching for a long while. Right now she finally came over.

The way she walked looked beautiful.

Even if you knew she was coming over to kill you, you would still think it looked beautiful.

“A woman at the moment she was born is to be look at by others.”

No matter when, she would not forget these words. As long as it made senses, she would never forget them.

She walked to the front of him and looked at him. She suddenly asked, “Is it today?”

Xie Xiaofeng replied, “It is today.”

Murong Qiudi asked, “Is it now?”

Xie Xiaofeng replied, “It is now.”

The person he was waiting for could show up at any moment.

Murong Qiudi said, “Your hand should at least have a sword.”

Xie Xiaofeng said, “I do not have a sword.”

Murong Qiudi asked, “Is it because there is a sword in your heart, it’s not necessary for you hand to have a sword?”

Xie Xiaofeng said, “A swordsman would obviously have a sword in his heart.”

If there was no sword in his heart, how could he learn sword? Xie Xiaofeng said, “It’s a pity the sword in my heart is definitely not capable of killing Yan Shisan.”

Murong Qiudi asked, “Then why are you not looking for a sword?”

Xie Xiaofeng said, “Because I know you will bring it to me.”

Murong Qiudi asked, “What kind of sword do you want?”

Xie Xiaofeng replied, “Casually anything.”

Murong Qiudi said, “It can’t be casual.”

Xie Xiaofeng asked, “Why not?”

Murong Qiudi replied, “Because a sword is the same as a person, there are various kind. Every sword’s shape, weight, length, width, is all not the same. Every sword has its own characteristic.”

She sighed and continued, “So when a person choose a sword, it’s like choosing a friend. It cannot be careless and casual.”

Xie Xiaofeng understood this principal. Battle of true masters, there couldn't be one mistake. The swords they decided to use play a critical role on their victory or defeat.

Murong Qiudi suddenly laughed. She was laughing complacently, “Fortunately even if you don’t say it, I know what sword you desire the most in your heart.”

Xie Xiaofeng asked, “You know?”

Murong Qiudi replied, “Not only do I know, I have already brought it for you.”

She really did help him brought his sword over. Jet black and old looking sword scabbard, a very classic and elegant shaped blade edge, and even piece of frayed black silk fabric that had gone through countless rubbing on the sword hilt, were all something Xie Xiaofeng would never forget.

To him, this was sword that had gone through life and death, trials and tribulations, with him, and yet a far away friend. Although it was eternally hard for him to forget, yet hard to imagine they could one day see each other again. The young waiter from the inn gently placed this sword on top of a blue piece of rock and then quietly left.

Xie Xiaofeng couldn’t help but reach out his hand and gently touched the sword scabbard. His hand was originally still trembling but once he held onto the sword handle, it immediately regained stability. He tightly gripped onto the sword hilt as if he was a sentimental youngster tightly embracing his first love, his lover.

Murong Qiudi said, “You do not need to ask me why this sword is in my hand. I will not answer even if you wanted to ask me because I don’t want you to lose focus.”

Xie Xiaofeng did not ask.

Murong Qiudi said, “I also know if I stay here, you’ll also lose focus so I should leave.”

She softly held onto his hand and gently said, “However I would wait for you in the inn, I believe you’ll return very soon.”

She really did leave; she still looked good the way she was leaving. He saw her graceful figure from the back and couldn’t help asked himself: “Is this the last time I will see you?”

At the moment, he suddenly felt this hard to say regret of parting with her. He almost wanted to call her back but he did not do that.

Because at the very moment, he could feel this threatening killing aura!

It was like a gust of cold wind blowing from within the forest.

On the back of the hand that was holding onto the sword, green veins were already popping out. He did not turn back and look nor did he need to, he already knew the person he was waiting for was here.

Obviously this person was Yan Shisan!

The setting sun was as red as blood. The pine forest was also as red as blood. Between heaven and earth, it was basically filled with killing aura.

Let alone that between heaven and earth there were these two figures!

In a mountain of red leaves, that was a black silhouette of a person. What the color black symbolizes are sorrow, misfortune, and death. Black also represents loneliness, arrogance, and elegance. What it represented was precisely the life of a swordsman. Like most swordsmen, Yan Shisan love the color black, idolized the color black.

In the time he was in Jianghu, he never wore any other color. Right now he restored this type of attire, even his face was covered with a black cloth. He was not willing to let Xie Xiaofeng recognize that he was the weak stooped old man that was preparing the medicine. He did not want Xie Xiaofeng have any hesitation before the battle.

Because the biggest wish in his life was to have a duel to the death with the world’s number one swordsman.

As long as he was able to fulfill this wish, then what’s the matter whether he lose or die?

Right now he truly believe Xie Xiaofeng would not be able to recognize that this black-clothed swordsman that was as straight as a javelin, was the same feeble old man with the crooked body like a shrimp. However, Xie Xiaofeng could recognize he was the foremost strongest rival in his life, Yan Shisan!

Because he could see that the sword in hand had thirteen precious pearls on its pitch-black scabbard. Although this was not a sharp weapon that cut through steel as if it was mud, it was well known in the world. In the hearts and mind of the people in Jianghu, what this sword represented was misfortune and death!

When Xie Xiaofeng turned around, his vision had been steered to this sword; it was like a pointy needle coming across a magnet. He obviously also knew that this was Yan Shisan’s symbol.

His hand also had a sword. Although the two swords were still in their sheaths, it seemed as if auras of the swords were clashing and violently reverberating.

Yan Shisan suddenly said, “I recognize you.”

Xie Xiaofeng asked, “You met me before?”

Yan Shisan replied, “No.”

The pair of eyes that was exposed in between the black cloth was sharp as a knife. “But I still recognize you, you must be Xie Xiaofeng.”

Xie Xiaofeng said, “Because you recognize this sword?”

Yan Shisan replied, “This sword isn’t really anything. In another person’s hand, it’s simply a useless metal.”

The slowly continued, “The last time I saw this sword, it was as if it died with its owner. Right now in your hand, it immediately have killing aura.”

Xie Xiaofeng finally sighed deeply and said, “Yan Shisan is most definitely Yan Shisan. Hard to imagine we finally meet.”

Yan Shisan said, “You should be able to imagine this.”

Xie Xiaofeng responded, “Oh?”

Yan Shisan said, “Since there are two people like us in between heaven and earth, there will be a day where we would eventually meet!”

Xie Xiaofeng asked, “The moment we both meet, does that mean one would definitely die under the other’s sword?”

Yan Shisan replied, “Yes.”

He was tightly holding onto his sword, “Yan Shisan is able to live till now just for this very day. If I cannot duel with the world’s number one swordsman, Xie Xiaofeng, Yan Shisan would die with everlasting regret.”

Xie Xiaofeng stared at the eyes exposed between the black clothes and said, “At least you should allow me to see your true face.”

Yan Shisan replied, “Why do you need to see my true face? When have you ever let other see your true face?”

He coldly laughed and continued, “What kind of person Xie Xiaofeng truly is? No one in Jianghu has ever known.”

Xie Xiaofeng shut his mount. He could not deny this. What exactly his true face looked like, not even he seemed to remember.

Yan Shisan said, “What kind of person you are is not important because I already know that you are the third young master of the Xie family, Xie Xiaofeng.”

[End of Chapter 45]

Footnote:
    52. huafang (画舫) is also translated to “gaily-painted pleasure-boat” based on baidu and hudong but it sounds kind of funny. It’s simply these amazingly decorated Chinese luxury boat that looks like a floating building. Hong Kong’s Jumbo Kingdom is a very modern and famous example of a huafang. They’re sometimes called “floating restaurant” but I’m reluctant to call it that because huafang isn’t necessarily a restaurant.
    53. zhanggui (掌柜), is a shopkeeper or a person that supervise/manage a shop.
    54. Cangjie (仓颉), a legendary figure that is said to have created Chinese characters.
    55. wuren,wuwo, wowang (无人、无我、无忘), lit. “no man, no self, no forget”.
    56. xiaochen (消沉), means either low-spirted/dejected/depressed or demoralized/despondent.
    57. kezhouquijian (刻舟求剑), idiom. It’s referring to a man that marked a boat to find his lost sword. The idiom means taking measure without regard to changes in circumstance.
    Last edited by kaister; 07-11-14 at 04:25 PM. Reason: corrected error

Thanks kaister

Thanks kaister for a superb chapter!

Thanks!!!
    All the while, I had thought Yan Shisan is a man in his thirties or forties, at most...

Some errors:
    Chapter 43
    The old man replied, “Because some people naturally can not have any friends.”
    should be "cannot"

Chapter 45
    Murong Qiudi said, “I also know if I stay you, you’ll also lose focus so I should leave.”
    should be "stay here"

Approaching the climatic moments. Thanks Kiaster.

Thanks kaister

Quote Originally Posted by ycb5959 View Post
    Thanks!!!
    All the while, I had thought Yan Shisan is a man in his thirties or forties, at most...

Some errors:
    Chapter 43

should be "cannot"
    Technically "can not" is also correct but "cannot" is more common and subsequently a more acceptable form. Unfortunately, I just can't warp my head around using "cannot".

Here's an article on the issue.

Ummm...ok fine I'll change it. It looks like I'm actually using both "can not" and "cannot" throughout my translation anyways. However, my mind subconsciously gravitates toward "can not". =/
    Last edited by kaister; 07-11-14 at 04:24 PM.