Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: The Sword of the Third Young Master

Default The Sword of the Third Young Master

Hi everyone,

Even though i was going so well translating this novel, i kinda lost steam after i went on holidays and then subsequently lost interest in wuxia in general and thus i discontinued this translation without saying anything at all and left it hanging. Like i forsaw in my firest post, anime and then j-doramas (Hana Yori Dango 2 is out!) took over. That was pretty irresponsible of me and i apologise to all those people who were waiting for me to continue this translation. I am really really really sorry. To this day (about 2 years later) i actually haven't finished reading the novel in vietnamese at all. I stopped about two chapters after i stopped translating.

I am posting here because i think i will continue this translation. At least for another five chapters. I can't promise that i will continue after that so i apologise beforehand. The quality of the chapters will be about the same as they were before, basically a direct translation with minimal editing and i will post a chapter tomorrow night. After that i don't know the speed at which i will be going.

Again i apologise to all those people who read my translations for leaving them hanging.

Chapter Twelve Recap:

He said he would and he did. A punch flew straight at Lao Mieu Tu’s face. Everyone heard the sound of bones splitting but it was not Lao Mieu Tu’s face but it was the iron arm of Ah Dung! Ah Cat had attacked and had flung his fist towards Ah Dung’s incoming punch before sending a hard punch into Iron Arm’s stomach. Ah Dung’s arm was so painful that he could not take it. He curled up and rolled onto the floor in pain.

Ah Cat looked at the group behind Iron Arm Ah Dung. The men were all holding sabres but not one of them dared to move an inch.

Ah Cat:

“Go home and tell your Big Boss that if he wants to kill Ah Cat then he better send someone skilled. Trash like that can’t do anything to me.”

Chapter Thirteen: The advisor in green

In the back garden the red and yellow of autumn were bright on the leaves. Big Boss put his hand behind his back as he looked at his chrysanthemums and mumbled:

“I wonder if by the time the crabs are transported from Duong Trinh, these chrysanthemums will flower? If so it would be perfect, absolutely perfect timing!”

He happily breathed out deeply.

“That is perfection. True perfection.”

Behind him were a crowd of people. A scholarly looking middle aged man dressed in long green robes was standing the closest to the Big Boss. Iron Arm in bandages was standing a bit further away. Far or close it was the same, when the Big Boss was flower gazing not one dared to open their mouth.

Big Boss bent down as if to sniff the fragrance of the flowers when his hands suddenly shot out and caught a bug. He said slowly.

“What was his name again?”

Ah Dung replied:

“Ah Cat. Useless Ah Cat.”

Big Boss:

“‘Useless’ Ah Cat?”

He squeezed the bug to death and turned around and looked intently at Ah Dung:

“You said Ah Cat is useless and you are Iron Arm Ah Dung right?”

Ah Dung:

“Yes.”

Big Boss:

“So is your punch hard or is his?”

Iron Arm Ah Dung looked down at his bandaged hand and said:

“His punch is harder.”

Big Boss:

“So are you strong or is he?”

Ah Dung:

“He is stronger.”

Big Boss:

“So are you useless or is he?”

Ah Dung had no choice but to say:

“Me.”

Big Boss sighed:

“So it seems as if you’ve been wrongly named right?”

Ah Dung:

“Yes.”

Big Boss said acidly:

“Then why don’t you change it to A Dog?”

Ah Dung’s faced wrinkled up and began to change. The man in green behind them suddenly bowed and said:

“He tried his best.”

Big Boss sighed.

“Fine. Tell him to scram.”

Green robes:

“Yes.”

Big Boss continued:

“Give him a little bit of money for his medical bills. When he’s healed then he must come and see me.”

Green robes immediately said in a loud voice:

“Big Boss told you to go and get one thousand silver taels for your medical bills. Why don’t you thank him?”

Ah Dung immediately kowtowed and left like the wind. Big Boss sighed and looked at Green robes. He laughed forcefully:

“All he did was launch a failed attack and he gets one thousand silver taels. You’re generous aren’t you?”

Green robes smiled:

“It’s a pity that I’m still angry for him.”

Big Boss laughed emotionlessly:

“The best part about you is that you tell the truth.”

He waited for his Boss’s laughter to finish before he said quietly.

“I have a few truthful things I want to say.”

Big Boss waved his hand.

“Go.”

Everyone immediately went.

The garden was very pretty, red with leaves and yellow with chrysanthemums. The sun was setting, stretching the shadow of Big Boss across the courtyard. He was looking at his shadow. He was short and fat and so he liked people who were tall and thin. Green robes was tall and thin and so when he bent down to talk to him, Big Boss did not need to look up. Now he was bent down and his voice was also lowered:

“That Useless Ah Cat is not someone that we can’t use Big Boss.”

Big Boss listened attentively. Every time Green robes spoke he always listened carefully.

“Iron Arm Ah Dung is from Khong Dong Sect. Even though lately Khong Dong sect hasn’t been producing many talented people it’s martial arts still has it’s own unique strength.”

Big Boss:

“Khong Dong Sect is pretty good.”

Green Robes:

“Ah Dung has the toughest arm out of all the people in Khong Dong. Before he was expelled from his school he had defeated four monks from Shao Lin and two swordsmen from Wu Dang.”

Big Boss:

“This I already know otherwise why would I waste 800 silver taels a month to use him?”

Green Robes:

“But that Useless Ah Cat defeated Ah Dung with one blow. It seems that this person is not ordinary.”

Big Boss laughed listlessly.

Green Robes:

“The strange thing is that within one hundred li of this area no one knows about Ah Cat’s past.”

Big Boss:

“So you’ve checked him out?”

Green Robes:

“I have sent 63 of our best out and the 31 that returned have come back with nothing.”

Big Boss had been taking slow steps forward all this time. Now he suddenly turned around and asked:

“So in the end what do you want to say?”

“If Ah Cat stays around here, trouble will come.”

Big Boss:

“Then send someone to deal with him.”

Green robes:

“Who?”

Big Boss:

“Iron Head.”

Green Robes:

“Ok. Iron Head Dai Cuong’s ‘head through mountain’ kungfu can rarely find a match.”

Big Boss:

“I’ve once seen him breath deeply and break a tree in half.”

Green robes:

“It’s a pity that Ah Cat is not a tree.”

Big Boss:

“Is his ‘hard’ kungfu good?”

Green Robes:

“Compared to Iron Arm’s Iron Punch he’s much much stronger.”

Big Boss:

“You think that Iron Head can’t deal with that Useless Ah Cat?”

Green Robes:

“Not that he definitely can’t but we can’t be sure either.”

He continued slowly:

“I remember Big Boss once said that ‘if you can’t be sure that you can do it, don’t do it.’”

Big Boss smiled delightedly. He liked it when people remembered what he said, especially when they quoted him.

Green robes:

“I have thought about it. To definitely win only one person can be sent.”

Big Boss:

“Iron Tiger?”

Green robes nodded.

“You know his history boss. This person is very clever and in battle rarely shows his real martial arts. Compared to Ah Dung and Dai Cuong, he is far stronger.”

Big Boss:

“But when will he return?”

Green Robes:

“The job we gave him was not easy to do. I think it would take at least ten more days.”

Big Boss’s face became dark.

“Does that mean until then we have no way of dealing with that Useless Ah Cat?”

Green robes:

“Ofcourse we do.”

He laughed and continued:

“We only need to use one word and we can deal with him.”

Big Boss:

“What?”

Green Robes:

“Pull.”

He explained:

“We have time and money. Whereas they have trouble finding their next meal. On top of that they are always having to be on the alert against us coming to find them anywhere and anytime. So they can’t even sleep properly. So like this for five days, we don’t have to do anything but they have already been ‘pulled’ down!”

Big Boss laughed and whacked his shoulder.

“You clever runt! No wonder they call you Truc Diep Thanh [Green Bamboo Leaf].”

Green Bamboo Leaf was the name of a famous wine. Few people could drink this wine without being drunk. It was also the name of a poisonous snake. A snake so poisonous that one bite was fatal immediately.

Big Boss:

“If I don’t find them what stops them from coming here and finding me?”

Green robes:

“Will a person who is ready to risk his life bring along with him an injured man and a *****?”

Big Boss laughed:

“Definitely not.”

Truc Diep Thanh:

“If he wants to come and find us, he’ll have to leave that Mieu Tu behind.”

Big Boss:

“But he can hide them.”

Green robes:

“Around this area everyone is our eyes. Where can he hide them? I have purposely set guards around his house. He can’t hide them anywhere.”

Big Boss laughed:

“Unless they become worms and crawl underneath the ground!”

Truc Diep Thanh:

“This time Ah Cat risked his life because of the brother and sister. If they fall into our hands then how can he escape our boss’s hand?”

Big Boss laughed loudly:

“Excellent! We’ll just sit here and drink wine and watch flowers and wait for them to come and die.”

Truc Diep Thanh:

“I guarantee that after three days they’ll definitely come.”

Sunset.

‘The girl’ lifted up a tray of meat soup, her tears falling freely into the soup. Meat soup does not normally make people cry but it made her cry because the person who bought the meat and made the soup was no longer here.

The meat soup was here but the person was now several feet under the ground. Who has the heart to eat such soup? But she wanted them to eat it to gain strength. How can you have strength if you are hungry?

She dried her tears and picked up the tray containing two bowls of meat soup and two buns. She brought the tray out of the kitchen.

Ah Cat was still sitting in the shadows in the darkest corner of the house. ‘The girl’ placed the bowl and the bun on the table in front of him. Ah Cat did not move. He did speak.

‘The girl’ brought the soup and bun to her brother and said:

“Come and eat it while it’s hot.”

Lao Mieu Tu:

“What about you?”

‘The girl’:

“I…I’m not hungry.”

Was she really not hungry? Was a person whom had had nothing for two days and a night really not hungry? She was not hungry. Because this was the last of their food and because these two needed the strength more than she did.

Lao Mieu Tu tried to suppress his tears:

“I normally don’t eat this much anyway. Each of us gets half.”

‘The girl’ also tried to suppress her tears:

“Isn’t it ok for me not to eat?”

Lao Mieu Tu:

“No!”

He was going to break his bun in two when Ah Cat suddenly stood up.

“This bowl of soup is ‘the girl’s’.”

Lao Mieu Tu immediately said loudly:

“No! That’s your portion.”

Ah Cat did not listen and moved to go out. ‘The girl’ pulled at his sleeve.

“Where are you going?”

Ah Cat:

“I’m going to eat.”

‘The girl’:

“But there’s food here, what are you going to eat outside?”

Ah Cat:

“I don’t want to eat this food.”

‘The girl’:

“Then what do you want to eat? An iron head?”

Ah Cat did not speak.

In the end her tears fell from her face and she said gently.

“I know how you a feeling. If this keeps going I might not be able to take it never mind you but….”

Tears fell like rain as she continued:

“But you have to understand that everywhere in this town there are their eyes and ears. If you go it’s like presenting them with your life.”

Ah Cat:

“Better to present them with my life then to wait here for death.”

The night was painfully dark.

Even if the night sky was beautiful, in the eyes of those bearing sorrow the night was just painfully dark.

The autumn wind was blowing again. A bent, old woman wearing a green headscarf was selling sugared seeds and was calling out her wares in the dark corner.

Ah Cat was moving but he suddenly stopped in front of her.

“What are you selling?”

Old Lady:

“I’m selling sugared seeds, sweet and fresh. 25 pennies a pound.”

Ah Cat:

“You’re not selling well.”

Further up the corner was a blind old beggar who was curled up on the ground. He could not help trembling.

Old Lady:

“How much do you want?”

Ah Cat:

“100 pounds worth.”

Old Lady:

“But I only have about 30 pounds here.”

Ah Cat:

“But if we count you as well then it’s about 100 pounds.”

Old Lady:

“I only sell sugared seeds not people.”

Ah Cat:

“I’m buying whether you’re selling or not.”

He suddenly attacked, grabbing the woman’s clothes. The woman suddenly screamed:

“Thief! Rapist! He’s attacking an old lady….”

She only called out a few words before her mouth was clamped together tightly. Ah Cat said coldly:

“If you are a woman how come you have a beard?”

Even though he had shaved, he had missed a couple of hairs.

Ah Cat:

“It seems like you a crazy. If you are then I have to kill you.”

The man was shaking his head frantically:

“I…I’m not crazy.”

Ah Cat:

“If you are not crazy then why are you in this corner selling sugared seeds? These people are so poor that they can’t even afford rice let alone sugared seeds.”

The man looked at him in shock and fear.

Ah Cat:

“If you don’t want me to kill you then tell me who sent you.”

The man did not even get a chance to speak before the beggar by the walk leapt up and ran away. The people here were so poor they rarely had rice to eat. Only someone with a mental disorder would come here to beg.

Ah Cat laughed coldly:

“It seems like your friend has run away. If you don’t tell me then I’ll kill you like I kill a dog. There won’t even be someone who comes here to collect your corpse.”

The man could not keep silent:

“It…it was Truc Diep Thanh.”

Ah Cat:

“What kind of person is Truc Diep Thanh?”

Man:

“He’s the Big Boss’s advisor. He’s one of the two most important people in front of the Big Boss.”

Ah Cat:

“Who’s the other one?”

Man:

“Iron Tiger. He’s even stronger than Iron Head. With him as the martial arts side and Truc Diep Thanh as the advisor, he’s unbeatable.”

Ah Cat:

“You know where he is right?”

Man:

“I heard he went away to do some job. He’ll be back in half a month or so.”

Ah Cat:

“What about Iron Head?”

Man:

“He has three mistresses. He loves the Third Mistress the most. He also likes gambling so he should normally be there.”

Ah Cat:

“Where’s your house?”

The man looked at him in surprise:

“Why do you ask that?”

Ah Cat:

“I ask, you answer. Dead people don’t need homes right?”

The man’s face scrunched up in fear:

“In the Chi Ma area.”

Ah Cat:

“How many people does your house have?”

Man:

“A wife and some servants. Altogether six people.”

Ah Cat:

“Now it’ll become eight people.”

Man:

“How?”

Ah Cat:

“Because I’ve asked two guests to come and stay at your house for you. If any news of them leaks out you can be sure that there will be no people in your house.”

He continued coldly:

“Minus the servants offcourse.”

Nightfall.

The light shone on the bald head of Iron Head Dai Cuong. The light bounced off his head as if it had been just soaked in oil.

The shinier his head was the more delighted he was. Tonight the number of customers were larger than usual and the number of customers gambling was also larger than usual. Not counting the fees him and his three mistresses had won over one thousand silver taels.

<the next parts all about gambling and I have absolutely no clue what they are talking about so I’ll translate it as best I can>

In his hand was the “Nhi Tu” piece worth 6 points. Even though it wasn’t a great piece it wasn’t bad either. There was still hope in the cards that were still ‘warm’ in Third Mistress’s hand. Her robes were opened to reveal a powdered neck as white as snow. Her jade like hands stroked the ‘warm’ card in her hand and looked at Iron Head.

“Well, now what?”

Iron Head:

“What do you want?”

Third Mistress:

“Vang sau bac ghe dai nho <I think it’s the name of the card>”

Iron Head Dai Cuong suddenly roared:

“Good for the ‘vang sau bac ghe dai nho’.”

Bang! The ‘Tu Luc’ card in his hand had been smashed onto the table with all his force.

Third Mistress laughed happily:

“I needed that male monkey of yours.”

In her hands was the ‘Dinh Tam’ card. Iron Head laughed:

“I needed that female monkey of yours earlier too. We are truly a match made in heaven.”

‘Dinh Tam’ together with ‘Tu Luc’ was a pair of Ruling Monkeys and was the ‘Chi Ton Bao <Best>’ combination.

“Chi Ton Bao. We win everything!”

He moved his arms to gather in all the silver taels on the table but a cold voice suddenly said:

“You can’t win.”

End Chapter Thirteen.

As promised, the next chapter
    Last edited by Kara; 01-10-07 at 04:10 AM.

Do you mind if I retranslate the first chapter based on your draft? I would look at the orginal version and correct the names and such.

No problem. I would do the Chinese names if i knew them and now that i started with vietnamese names i find it too bothersome to translate to chinese names. And obviously i have a lot of mistakes in my translation because this is more like a beta translation than a really proper one with editing and stuff done by other translators. My main priority is (or maybe was) speed. Therefore i am very happy if you want to fix and edit it. Just give me some credit in the final version and i will be happy.

And the next chapter...

Chapter Thirteen Recap:

In her hands was the ‘Dinh Tam’ card. Iron Head laughed:

“I needed that female monkey of yours earlier too. We are truly a match made in heaven.”

‘Dinh Tam’ together with ‘Tu Luc’ was a pair of Ruling Monkeys and was the ‘Chi Ton Bao <Best>’ combination.

“Chi Ton Bao. We win everything!”

He moved his arms to gather in all the silver taels on the table but a cold voice suddenly said:

“You can’t win.”

Chapter Fourteen:

The gambling den of Third Mistress was open to everyone who had money to lose regardless or race or religion. Iron Head Dai Cuong was not someone who was afraid of complications and never before had any complications arisen in this gambling den. But the person in front of him did not look familiar nor did he look like he had any money. He was dressed in ripped and dirty clothes and no one saw him even come in.

This person did not seem like a ‘somebody’ but his voice was cold and commanding as he said:

“I’m not lying, I just want to see justice served.”

Iron Head:

“You said I can’t win. What is the reason?”

Stranger:

“How have you won?”

Iron Head:

“These ‘Ruling Monkeys’ offcourse.”

Stranger:

“It’s a pity that once those cards are in your hand they are no longer ‘Ruling Monkeys.”

Iron Head:

“Then what are they called?”

Stranger:

“They are called Chu Bat Gioi the Pig [the one in journey to the west] with the shiny bald head. This means you have to give all your money to everyone at this table.”

Iron Head Dai Cuong’s face changed and so did everyone else’s in the room. They knew that this young man had purposely come to cause trouble. Who was this person who was brave enough to pick a fight with Iron Head?

Iron Head’s minions immediately jumped forward and shouted loudly:

“Hey you bastard! What’s your name?”

Stranger:

“I am Ah Cat! Useless Ah Cat.”

The room suddenly became silent. Everyone in the town had heard of the name Usless Ah Cat.

Iron Head Dai Cuong suddenly laughed.

“Good! Good! You are really like a person after all. You dare to come to find me. Good!”

Ah Cat:

“I just wanted to come here to see something that’s all.”

Iron Head:

“See what?”

Ah Cat:

“See your head. I want to see if it’s really made of iron.”

Iron Head Dai Cuong laughed loudly:

“Fine. I’ll show you something to open your eyes.”

The gambling table made of Dali rock was suddenly lifted into the air. This table weighed 70 or 80 stones but was like a paper table in Iron Head’s hands. There are many kinds of rock. Dali rock was not only famous but also very hard but Iron Head simply banged his head onto the table. There was a bang and the thick table had been smashed to pieces. His head was still shiny and intact jus as if it had been dipped into oil.

His minions immediately cheered him on:

“Great!”

When the cheering had stopped Ah Cat said slowly:

“Great…great…great…a great Chu Bat Gioi [JTTW pig] pig head.”

Iron Head Dai Cuong had been smiling with self praise but now his expression changed:

“What? What did you say?”

Ah Cat:

“I said you were the pig Chu Bat Gioi because aside from a pig who is stupid enough to bang his head of a table made of rock?”

Iron Head Dai Cuong laughed evilly.

“So what should I bang my head on? You?”

Ah Cat:

“Ok.”

As soon the word ‘ok’ escaped from Ah Cat’s mouth, Iron Head had rushed towards Ah Cat like a fierce tiger. He picked Ah Cat up and held him in the air like the table from before. Iron Head did not only have powerful head kung fu but the movements that were just described were done quickly and very precisely. He knew that he was not banging his head on a table but on a person with arms and legs and the ability to attack him. Therefore he grabbed the Kien Tinh acupuncture point of Ah Cat as he picked him up, rendering him unable to move so that he could receive the full force of the head blow.

No one before had been able to endure this head blow of his. It seems like Useless Ah Cat would now become dead Ah Cat. Iron Head’s minions were cheering very loudly but they were immediately cut short. Ah Cat had not been smashed into pieces but Iron Head Dai Cuong’s iron head had been smashed to pieces. It had been smashed by only one blow. Someone whom has been grabbed by their Kien Tinh acupuncture point should not have been able to move their two hands. And yet Ah Cat did.

Iron Head Dai Cuong’s head had not been damaged even when it had been smashed with iron but it had smashed under a gentle blow of Useless Ah Cat.

All noise had stopped and it seemed as if the whole room was choking in silence. Ah Cat was still standing there, not moving, his dark eyes containing no emotion like a bottomless lake. Everyone looked at him. Everyone had a weapon but no one moved. This Ah Cat had caused bloodthirsty murderers to become frozen in an indescribable fear. Who was he really? How could he be so cold and detached after killing a person? How many people had he killed? No one heard him lamenting inside:

“I’ve killed someone. Why do I have to keep killing people?”

The wind rustled the papered windows. Finally Ah Cat looked up and so a beautiful woman standing before him. An unexplainably captivating woman. He knew this was the Third Mistress of Iron Head Dai Cuong. She was looking intently at him with a strange expression in her eyes. It wasn’t hate or sorrow but it as surprise and a bit dreamy.

The whole room had emptied save this one woman.

Ah Cat said coldly:

“I’ve killed your husband.”

Third Mistress:

“If you didn’t kill him he would have died under someone else’s hands sooner or later.”

Her voice was normal to the point of detached.

“People like him were born to kill and be killed by others.”

Ah Cat:

“I could kill you too. Why don’t you leave quickly?”

Third Mistress:

“You’re the one who needs to leave.”

Ah Cat laughed joylessly.

Third Mistress:

“You’ve killed Iron Head. Big Boss definitely won’t forgive you.”

Ah Cat:

“I’m waiting for him.”

Third Mistress looked at him and suddenly said:

“I recognise you! I’ve definitely seen you somewhere before.”

Ah Cat:

“You must be mistaken.”

Third Mistress:

“I’m definitely not mistaken.”

Her voice was very confident.

“I’ve worked in a brothel since I was 14 years old and I’ve slept with countless men but men like you are very few.”

Ah Cat’s eyes suddenly took on a strange expression but it was so fleeting that it seemed like nothing at all. He turned around and walked away. Third Mistress stared at his back and suddenly said:

“I recognise you! You’re…”

She did not finish her sentence for Ah Cat had turned around as fast as lightning and covered her mouth and lifted her up. He did not want to kill her but he had to cover her mouth. Because he could not let her tell his secret to anyone.

In the bedroom the light was muted. Ah Cat placed Third Mistress on the bed and she lay there looking up at him. Her eyes were filled with tears as she spoke emotionally:

“How come your appearance has changed so much? Why are you here?”

Ah Cat:

“Who doesn’t change?”

Third Mistress:

“But no matter how much you have changed I still recognise you.”

She swallowed her tears and continued:

“You probably don’t know that out of all the men I’ve slept with you are the only one whom I’ve truly loved. You probably don’t know because I’m one of the many women of yours and I’m a filthy ***** at that…”

Ah Cat thought for a long while, his voice gentle and warm:

“I remember you. You’re Kim Hoa Lan [Golden Orchid/ Jin Hua Lan].”

Third Mistress looked at Ah Cat and suddenly burst into tears, scrambling upright and wrapping her arms around him.

“As long as you remember me, I’ll die and still be happy.”

Ah Cat:

“But I still hope that everyone forgets me.”

She hugged him closely, her tears running down his face.

“I understand. I won’t tell your secret to anyone. I’d rather die than reveal your secret.”

In Big Boss’s life, he had three things that he was the most proud of. The first of these was that he had the world biggest bed. Not just the biggest but the most unique and exquisite bed. It was hard to find a second one like it. This was not an exaggeration but the truth.

It was morning but Big Boss was still lying in bed. Nine of his most beloved women were still in bed with him.

A maid walked in awkwardly and said:

“Mr Diep says that there’s something important he wants to discuss with you boss.”

Big Boss sat up but suddenly lay down again:

“Let him in.”

His mistresses immediately protested.

“We’re all like this, how can you let another man in?”

Big Boss smiled:

“This man is not a problem.”

One asked:

“Why is that?”

Big Boss answered indirectly:

“Because to me he is more useful then the nine of you put together.”

Even though he had not slept all night, Truc Diep Thanh’s face did not have any traces of tiredness. Big Boss often praised Truc Diep Thanh’s energy, comparing him to a machine that continued to run for as long as the Boss said so.

He stood in front of Big Boss, his head bent down never even glancing once at the nine beauties that were spread on the bed. It was just this point that made Big Boss happy.

Big Boss allowed Truc Diep Thanh to sit down and asked:

“What’s this urgent thing you have to ask me?”

Even though he had sat down he stood up again.

“Ah Cat discovered my spies and moved the brother and sister of Mieu Tu somewhere else.”

His head was bent even lower as he continued:

“This is my mistake. I underestimated him. Please punish me severely boss.”

He had explained things clearly and then accepted that it was his fault and asked for punishment. This had always been his way. He never covered up his mistakes or blamed others. It was this quality that Big Boss liked about him and so even though his eyebrows wrinkled his voice did not have any signs of anger.

“Everyone makes mistakes. Sit down and continue.”

Truc Diep Thanh:

“Yes.”

He sat down and Big Boss asked:

“When did this happen?”

Truc Diep Thanh:

“Last night, a little after midnight.”

Big Boss:

“And until now you still haven’t found them?”

Truc Diep Thanh:

“We know where Ah Cat is but not Mieu Tu and his sister.”

Big Boss:

“Where is he now?”

Truc Diep Thanh:

“At Iron Head’s Third Mistress’s place.”

Big Boss:

“Then Iron Head has…”

Truc Diep Thanh:

“Yes.”

Big Boss:

“When did he go?”

Truc Diep Thanh:

“A little after midnight.”

Big Boss’s face became even more unpleasant.

“In half an hour he hid two live people in a place that can’t be found even after you’ve searched all night?”

Truc Diep Thanh stood up and bent his head lower:

“There are not many places that you can hide people in this town. I’ve sent people to all possible places but we haven’t found them.”

Big Boss laughed joylessly.

“I can’t believe that even you were no match for that Useless Ah Cat.”

Truc Diep Thanh did not dare to smile.

This time Big Boss did not let him sit down. After a while he asked:

“Did he kill Iron Head with his own hands?”

Truc Diep Thanh:

“From the reports it seems like he smashed Iron Head’s head with one blow.”

Big Boss’s face changed colour.

“Did anyone see what type of martial arts he used?”

Truc Diep Thanh:

“No.”

He continued:

“Because no one knows Ah Cat’s martial arts he must be a big ‘somebody’ in jianghu.”

Big Boss:

“Recently has anyone suddenly disappeared from jiang hu?”

Truc Diep Thanh:

“I’ve already researched this. Lately Big Sabre Trieu Doc Hanh, Thien Sat Tinh <Killing Star?> Chien Khong and swordsmen Yen Thap Tam.”

Big Boss wrinkled his brows again. He knew of the fame of these three.

Truc Diep Thanh:

“But body shape, appearance and age of these three, not one of these points matches with Ah Cat.”

Big Boss laughed coldly:

“So did he fall from the sky or burrow out from the earth?” He suddenly banged his hand on the table.

“Whatever his past, just kill him. You don’t need to know the past of dead people.”

Truc Diep Thanh:

“Yes.”

Big Boss:

“Whatever the method and however much money you use is not a problem. Just kill him already.”

Truc Diep Thanh:

“Yes.”

Big Boss’s orders were always followed immediately. But this time Truc Diep Thanh did not move. This had never happened before. Big Boss grew angry:

“Do you have something else to say?”

Truc Diep Thanh hesitated before bending lower and saying:

“He’s all by himself so it won’t be hard to erase him but our losses will be heavy.”

Big Boss:

“You want us to buy him?”

Truc Diep Thanh:

“He risked his life for Mieu Tu and his sister because they were a little nice to him. If Big Boss treated him better maybe he wouldn’t defy you.”

Big Boss’s face gradually became more pleasant:

“You reckon we can buy him?”

Truc Diep Thanh:

“Everyone has a price. We should at least try.”

Big Boss:

“Who will go?”

Truc Diep Thanh:

“I think I need to do this one myself.”

Big Boss:

“Once a sword is drawn from its sheath, it has to draw blood. Don’t put yourself in danger.”

Truc Diep Thanh:

“Every part of my body from top to bottom, inside and out belongs to you. What is a few drops of blood?”

Big Boss suddenly leapt down from the bed and grabbed Truc Diep Thanh’s hands.

“I don’t have a son. You are my son. Be very careful.”

Truc Diep Thanh bent his head, hot tears fell from his eyes and flowed down his face causing those watching to be touched.

Big Boss waited for him to leave before he turned around to his beloved mistresses:

“Now can you see? He’s more useful to me than the whole lot of you.”

A girl with a mole by her lip and a pair of lovesick eyes said:

“I only see one point.”

She said:

“He is better than us- in the art of brown nosing!”

Big Boss laughed loudly.

“Well said. Well said.”

His laugh suddenly stopped and he looked at the girl.

“I want you to do something. Will you do it?”

The girl had a chance to act and wrapped herself around him like a snake.

“What do you want me to do?”

Big Boss laughed coldly.

“I want you to go sleep with him from tonight.”

Ah Cat was taking a nap. He was too tired and there were too many things he needed to do. He needed to recuperate. When he awoke Kim Hoa Lan was still beside him and was looking at him with a gentle love in her eyes.

Ah Cat closed his eyes.

“Did no one come last night?”

Kim Lan Hoa:

“No one.”

Ah Cat’s muscles relaxed but his heart tightened. He knew that before a storm things were often at their sweetest. Like the moment before a sunrise is when it’s at its darkest. What will the outcome of this situation be? What will arise? He didn’t know. He knew now that he was responsible for everything and he could not let go. If he loosened his grip then Lao Mieu Nhi, ‘the girl’ and Kim Hoa Lan will die immediately. More importantly in this town there were many people like them who were waiting for him to save them from the burning fires of pain.

Outside the window there were footsteps. Heavy footsteps as if to let Ah Cat know of their presence. Ah Cat heard them cough. He waited for them to enter and waited for a very long time but outside it became as quiet as it was before. Kim Hoa Lan’s face was deathly pale. She did not know who this person was but she knew that it was someone brave enough to face a person whom had defeat Iron Head with one blow. This person deserved respect. Ah Cat tapped her head gently and stood up and put his clothes back on. He felt that the person outside would be the most difficult to deal with!

End Chapter Fourteen
    Last edited by Kara; 01-10-07 at 04:08 AM.

Thanks
    Yo momma cat

Thanks for commenting. =D

Thank you. Pls keep on....

And heres another chapter. I know the recaps are quite unnecessary but its a habit. The next chapter will come in two or three days because i have work.

Chapter Fourteen Recap:

Outside the window there were footsteps. Heavy footsteps as if to let Ah Cat know of their presence. Ah Cat heard them cough. He waited for them to enter and waited for a very long time but outside it became as quiet as it was before. Kim Hoa Lan’s face was deathly pale. She did not know who this person was but she knew that it was someone brave enough to face a person whom had defeat Iron Head with one blow. This person deserved respect. Ah Cat tapped her head gently and stood up and put his clothes back on. He felt that the person outside would be the most difficult to deal with!

Chapter Fifteen: The things in life are not normal

Iron Head’s corpse had been removed. The last set of cards that he ever played- Chi Ton Bau- was still on the table <which I thought had been broken- must have been some other one>.

Truc Diep Thanh sat next to the table stroking the cards upon it and smiled:

“I heard that with ‘Chi Ton Bao’ only one in a thousand people have the chance to play this set of cards. This means that even if you gamble from morning to night every day for 55 years you only have this chance 30 times at most.”

He knew that he was not speaking to himself because Ah Cat was slowly walking into the room. Truc Diep Thanh smiled and continued:

“So whoever plays this set of cards must be on an extreme lucky streak.”

Ah Cat:

“But the person who played this set of cards last night was not lucky at all.”

Truc Diep Thanh sighed:

“I was about to say that. It shows that the things in life are not normal and that people can not always be lucky for all their life.”

He looked at Ah Cat and said normally:

“And so when the chance comes, you have to take hold of it and not let it pass you by.”

Ah Cat:

“What do you want to say?”

Truc Diep Thanh:

“I want to say that your chance has come.”

Ah Cat:

“What chance?”

Truc Diep Thanh:

“What do people in this world struggle for their whole lives? Just two words fame and gain.”

He smiled and continued:

“And now you have a chance. A chance to be happy and fulfilled.”

Ah Cat looked intently at Truc Diep Thanh but it was like looking at a wall. He suddenly said:

“Are you Truc Diep Thanh?”

Truc Diep Thanh continued to smile.

“My surname is Diep. I am Diep Thanh Truc but everyone likes to call me Truc Diep Thanh.”

He continued to smile but there was something strange to his smile.

Ah Cat:

“Did Big Boss send you here?”

Truc Diep Thanh admitted it was so.

Ah Cat:

“Then I have to let you know something.”

Truc Diep Thanh:

“What?”

Ah Cat:

“Sometimes people do not struggle for your two words at all.”

Truc Diep Thanh:

“Aside from those two words what else is there?”

Ah Cat:

“On word- ideals.”

Truc Diep Thanh:

“Ideals?”

He really did not know the meaning of this word.

“What do you want?”

Ah Cat:

“I want everyone to be able to live freely and how they want to live.”

He knew that Truc Diep Thanh would never be able to understand that sentence so he explained:

“Even though there are some who betray their conscience but there are many who are willing to stay poor and to suffer hardships just so they can be at peace inside.”

Truc Diep Thanh:

“Are there really these type of people?”

Ah Cat:

“I have lots of friends who are like that. There are also thousands of people who are like that but you’re not letting them live the way they want so…”

Truc Diep Thanh interrupted:

“So what?”

Ah Cat:

“So if you guys want me to go then I only have one condition.”

Truc Diep Thanh:

“What condition?”

Ah Cat:

“If you guys let these people go then I will let you guys go. I only need Big Boss to promise me himself that he will never make anyone do anything they don’t want to do ever again.”

Truc Diep Thanh:

“You want Big Boss to say these words himself?”

Ah Cat:

“Definitely.”

Truc Diep Thanh:

“Will ten thousand golden taels change this condition?”

Ah Cat:

“No.”

Truc Diep Thanh thought to himself and said:

“Do you really want to meet Big Boss?”

Ah Cat:

“Yes I want to see him today.”
    Truc Diep Thanh:

“Where?”

Ah Cat:

“Up to him.”

Truc Diep Thanh:

“At Mistress Han’s place ok?”

Ah Cat:

“Yes.”

Truc Diep Thanh:

“At dinner time?”

Ah Cat:

“Ok.”

Truc Diep Thanh got up to leave but suddenly changed his mind and asked:

“I forgot to ask your name.”

Ah Cat:

“I am Ah Cat. Useless Ah Cat.”

Truc Diep Thanh did not ask anything else. He turned around and left.

Looking after Truc Diep Thanh and then looking at the cards on the table, Ah Cat seemed to think for a long time. He was thinking about what Truc Diep Thanh said.

“And so when the chance comes, you have to take hold of it and not let it pass you by.”

What sort of chance where they preparing for him?

He did not think about it anymore because he suddenly though of something frightening. True to his thoughts when he went back into the bedroom Kim Hoa Lan had disappeared.

Big Boss sat on his wide expensive chair looking intently at Truc Diep Thanh in front of him. He felt a little sorry inside. This person had worked hard for him for six years but he rarely got a chance to enjoy himself compared to anyone.

Now he had not slept nor eaten anything but he still did not look tired or sulky. It was as if working for the boss was his biggest source of energy. People who were this dedicated and loyal were very rare.

Big Boss sighed silently.

“You’ve met Ah Cat?”

Truc Diep Thanh:

“This person is exactly like a sword drawn from its sheath and a very good sword at that.”

Big Boss:

“Have you bought him yet?”

Truc Diep Thanh:

“Not yet.”

Big Boss:

“Was his price too high?”

Truc Diep Thanh:

“I brought with me 10 000 golden taels but when I met him I knew that if I brought ten times as much it would have been useless.”

Big Boss:

“Why?”

Truc Diep Thanh:

“When I arrived, the table was stacked high with silver and gold taels but he did even bother to touch them nor even glance at them.”

He added:

“He is so poor that he doesn’t even have enough rice to eat but he doesn’t even look at all that money. It shows that money is not what he wants.”

Big Boss:

“Then what does he want?”

Truc Diep Thanh:

“He wants you to promise that you’ll let everyone live the way they want.”

Big Boss:

“What does that mean?”

Truc Diep Thanh:

“He wants us to let go. We have to stop all of our businesses.”

Big Boss’s face grew darker.

Truc Diep Thanh:

“He wants to meet you and have you personally agree to this condition.”

Big Boss:

“So what did you do?”

Truc Diep Thanh:

“I made an appointment with him for you at Mistress Han’s place.”

Big Boss’s face exploded with anger and he said coldly:

“Since when did you replace me in dealing with my affairs?”

Truc Diep Thanh:

“Who would dare to do such a thing?”

Big Boss:

“What about you?”

Truc Diep Thanh:

“I just created a trap for him to crawl into for you.”

Big Boss changed his sitting position, his face calm again.

Truc Diep Thanh:

“When I was talking to him, I discovered something strange.”

Big Boss:

“What?”

Truc Diep Thanh:

“I discovered that the Iron Head’s Third Mistress was looking secretly from behind the curtain at him intently. She seemed very worried for him.”

Big Boss clasped his hands tightly together and asked:

“So where did Iron Head bring her from?”

Truc Diep Thanh:

“This woman’s name is Kim Hoa Lan, she worked in a famous brothel in Hoai Duong. She’s slept with many people from Jiang Hu, all big names.”

Big Boss’s eyes brightened.

“You think she recognises Useless Ah Cat?”

Truc Diep Thanh:

“Not only recognise but also very close to him.”

Big Boss:

“So she definitely knows his past?”

Truc Diep Thanh said confidently:

“Definitely.”

Big Boss looked at him.

“Now she’s no longer with Ah Cat is she?”

Truc Diep Thanh:

“Ofcourse not.”

Big Boss sighed contently.

“Then where is she?”

Truc Diep Thanh:

“Outside at the same place as Mieu Tu and his sister.”

Big Boss’s eyes were now even brighter.

“How did you find them?”

Truc Diep Thanh:

“I looked in places with the highest probability of where they could be and found nothing so….”

Big Boss:

“So you looked in places with the lowest probability?”

Truc Diep Thanh’s face showed admiration and respect.

“Everything that I think of cannot escape Big Boss’s reach.”

Big Boss:

“So where did you find them?”

Truc Diep Thanh:

“One of the two men that were sent to guard the house is called Dai Nguu. Even though he is skilful but he is a coward and that he loves his family very much. The majority of the money that he earns here, he gives to his family…”

Big Boss:

“So you thought that Ah Cat was very likely to manipulate this weak point of his and force him into hiding Mieu Tu and his sister at his house?”

Truc Diep Thanh:

“I was just thinking that how two fully grown adults can suddenly disappear off the face of this earth.”

Big Boss smiled delightfully.

“Even though this time Ah Cat has played a very clever hand, it’s a pity that he didn’t realise that there’s an even cleverer person right here.”

Truc Diep Thanh’s attitude became even politer and he bowed even lower then before.

“Firstly all we have to do is coax Ah Cat’s identity from Kim Lan Hoa and then use Mieu Tu and his sister as bait. With them in our hand, we have no need to be afraid that Ah Cat will be able to escape our clutches.”

Big Boss smiled even more delightedly.

“Excellent!”

Truc Diep Thanh continued:

“But it would be a worry if Kim Lan Hoa refuses to tell the truth.”

Big Boss answered:

“Is she just a common prostitute?”

Truc Diep Thanh:

“Yes.”

Big Boss continued:

“Have you ever seen a prostitute who is loyal in love?”

Truc Diep Thanh:

“No.”

Big Boss:

“Neither have I.”

The white as snow bed sheet still held the trace of Kim Lan Hoa’s fragrance. Ah Cat ripped the sheet into strips of materials and carefully used them to bandage his wounds. Ah Cat knew that Big Boss would never accept the conditions that he had set forward and he knew that tonight there would be a horrific battle.

Even so, he was not worried about these things. However, he could not refrain from thinking about Kim Lan Hoa.

“I will definitely listen to you. Even if I die, I will never reveal your secrets.”

Even though her many tears which had fallen upon his cheek were dry, her voice kept echoing within his ears. But could he believe her? Would a person who was willing to sell their own body be able to risk death rather than to sell his secret?

Ah Cat tightened the pieces of material around his body and knotted it. In Ah Cat’s heart there were knots, thousands of knots. He was not a person who had fallen from the sky. He, like all others had a past. In the past he had experienced pain and sorrow, happiness and pleasure and ofcourse; women. Throughout his life he had never believed a woman. To him, women were like cats who purred and curled obediently into his lap. If he got bored of them, he would discard them like he discarded rubbish. He had never been ashamed of this viewpoint, nor did he keep it hidden from anyone. He believed that he was born to experience the admiration of all women. (T/L: What an arrogant bastard and to think that I liked him). If a woman loved him, loved him to the point where she hated the fact that she could not die in his arms, he would only laugh at her stupidity.(T/L: He so deserves to be crushed in hell this one.) So if Kim Lan Hoa betrayed him then he would only think that it served him right. He didn’t need to worry because he was ready to risk his life. One person, one life. No matter what sort of life, if this person is ready to risk his life then what in the world could continue to worry him?

“Is it true that you didn’t notice?”

“Is there something painful hidden deep in your heart that you cannot tell anyone?”

“Is there a wound inside of you that can never be healed?”

Who can see these types of thoughts in him? Even he has forgotten about such thoughts. Or perhaps he is just trying with all his might to forget such thoughts. But then again who can tell?

Beside the table there were three people. Big Boss, Truc Diep Thanh and Kim Lan Hoa. Big Boss has not said a word. He will not say anything unless the situation requires it. If there is already someone who is going to say what he wants to say then why would he want to waste his breath?

Truc Diep Thanh is always the first to speak. His voice was very soft and gentle.

“These are high quality pearls. Any beautiful women who wears this will only get more beautiful. Even if you are not beautiful, if you wear it the men around you will wonder how you suddenly got so beautiful.”

Kim Thanh Hoa:

“I know.”

Truc Diep Thanh:

“You are a very beautiful woman but there is no woman who doesn’t grow old”

Kim Thanh Hoa:

“I know.”

Truc Diep Thanh:

“Women may need men but there are times when they realise that a pearl is far more valuable than countless men.”

Kim Lan Hoa:

“I know.”

Truc Diep Thanh gently tapped the sheath of a sabre.

“This sabre can kill people.”

Kim Lan Hoa:

“I know.”

Truc Diep Thanh:

“No matter how beautiful a woman is, a thrust with this sabre into this heart will turn her into something that even an exquisite pearl cannot save.”

Kim Lan Hoa:

“I know.”

Truc Diep Thanh suddenly asked:

“Do you want to be stabbed by the sabre or do you want the pearls?”

Kim Lan Hoa:

“Ofcourse I want the pearls.”

Truc Diep Thanh looked at Kim Lan Hoa for a very long time. He asked slowly:

“Do you know Useless Ah Cat’s surname? Where is he from?”

Kim Lan Hoa:

“I don’t know.”

Truc Diep Thanh laughed. As soon as his laugh began, the sabre flashed at Kim Lan Hoa’s left ear. This was not a feint used to threaten. Truc Diep Thanh knew full well that only when the person in question could see his own blood dripping bright red, slowly in front of them that true fear would settle in.

Kim Lan Hoa was so scared that her entire body automatically curled up. She had seen her own blood and half of her ear flowed towards the ground with the blood. But she did not feel any pain. The fear was so horrific that she could not feel any pain whatsoever!

Truc Diep Thanh’s face did not show a single flicker of emotion, he only said casually:

“The lost of half an ear can be easily covered by your long hair but to lose half your nose would be very unsightly indeed.”

Kim Lan Hoa suddenly said in a high voice:

“Ok, I’ll tell you.”

Truc Diep Thanh smiled and lowered his sabre.

“As long as you tell us then all these pearls will be yours.”

Kim Lan Hoa answered:

“You don’t really need me to tell you who he is. You already know?”

Truc Diep Thanh:

“Huh?”

Kim Lan Hoa:

“He is the Lord of the Underworld who has come to claim your lives.”

Before the sentence was finished, she had lunged towards the sabre on the table. Using two hands she plunged the sabre deep into her chest.

Truc Diep Thanh’s face paled. He reached forward to grab a mass of her hair and pulled her towards him. His voice was serious.

“You’re just a common *****. Why would you die for that bastard?”

Kim Lan Hoa’s face was sickly white. Blood had began to trickle slowly from the sides of her mouth. However, she still had the breath to say a sentence which seemed to come from deep within her.

“Because he is the only man worthy of being called a real man unlike the rest of you who are a mass of mongrels who are not even fit to be called a dog. I…I am very happy.”

End Chapter 15

I don't understand why Kim Lan Hoa would die for someone who obviously thinks all women are stupid. So weird.

And thats it people. Next chapter in 2 or 3 days.
    Last edited by Kara; 01-10-07 at 04:19 AM.

Great work! I really enjoy the novel.

Thanks for the comments. I really appreciate them. Does anyone happen to know how i can get the vietnamnese text of this book in word format? I have it in pdf and it takes me longer to translate because i have to keep switching windows. I've tried to select the text but it won't let me copy it to word. If anyone can help me, that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2-3 days a chapter! Speed demon!

So good to see you've taken this back up again =)

Seeing your nickname and the word speed demon makes me think of DFBB. Lol.

But thank you for your comments.

Great work Kara! Keep it up! The story is getting very interesting. Thanks for working on it.

Finished a little earlier than i thought i would. =D

Chapter 15 Recap:

Kim Lan Hoa’s face was sickly white. Blood had began to trickle slowly from the sides of her mouth. However, she still had the breath to say a sentence which seemed to come from deep within her.

“Because he is the only man worthy of being called a real man unlike the rest of you who are a mass of ill bred dogs who are not even fit to be called a mongrel. I…I am very happy.”

Chapter 16: Not fit to be called a mongrel.

The room was totally silent. There was not even one sound. No one knew how much time had past before Big Boss suddenly said:

“You made an appointment with him tonight was it?”

Truc Diep Thanh:

“Yes.”

Big Boss:

“Then you’d better go prepare the place now.”

Truc Diep Thanh asked:

“Big Boss is really going to go there?”

Big Boss nodded and replied:

“I really want to meet him.”

He continued, as if feeling the need to explain himself.

“I would have never thought that there was a type of man that would cause a prostitute to willingly die for him. I want to see this man and see if there is anything special about him.”

Truc Diep Thanh did not say anything. He knew that no one could ever convince Big Boss once he had made up his mind.

Even so, Big Boss still asked him:

“So what do you think?”

Truc Diep Thanh did not answer straight away. This was a very important matter which did not allow for a single mistake or mishap. He had to think about this carefully and in great detail.

Truc Diep Thanh thought deeply for a while before he said slowly:

“Because Mieu Tu and his sister are in our hands, I don’t think he should act rashly.”

Big Boss:

“Obviously.”

Truc Diep Thanh continued:

“But a man who can cause a common ***** to Satrifice herself willingly for him might be the type of man who will dare to do anything.”

Big Boss:

“Such as?”

Truc Diep Thanh:

“There are some men in this world who normally are truly very loyal and righteous towards there friends but when needed, they are willing to Satrifice these friends without second thought.”

Big Boss:

“When is when needed?”

Truc Diep Thanh:

“When they set out to achieve something great.”

Big Boss did not need to ask any further. He knew that anyone who could kill him would have achieved something great that would shake the world of jiang wu.

Truc Diep Thanh”

“Before it gets dark I will assemble all the highly skilled men at old Ca Han’s house. There should be at least thirty something men.”

Big Boss asked:

“Aren’t thirty men enough to protect me?”

Truc Diep Thanh:

“Sometimes they are enough and sometimes they aren’t. If there is a so chance that they might not then I dare not agree to this plan.”

Big Boss:

“If they stand in front of me then I will have a chance to escape won’t I?”

Truc Diep Thanh:

“If his goal is just Boss then if we only have a slight opening, he will have the chance to strike. And if he strikes, I don’t know if anyone is capable of stopping it!”

He sighed and continued:

“If only Iron Tiger was home then the situation would be entirely different.”

Big Boss asked:

“So you’re telling me I shouldn’t go?”

Truc Diep Thanh replied:

“Ofcourse if Boss wants to go and meet him ofcourse you can go but…”

Big Boss interrupted:

“But what?”

Truc Diep Thanh replied:

“We don’t necessarily let him meet Boss.”

He did not need to say anything more as he knew that Big Boss would understand immediately. Anyone who has reached the position that Big Boss has reached today must be an extraordinary person who surpasses most people in terms of intelligence and cunning.

Big Boss did not disappoint him.

“Because he has never met me before we can find a person to impersonate me. I will follow that person as an attendant and that way I will still be able to see him.”

Truc Diep Thanh said:

“If he really does attack boss, he will first strike the impersonator leaving Boss the opportunity to escape.”

Big Boss smiled.

“It’s a good plan. A great plan.”

Suddenly, a voice from outside interrupted the conversation.

“Not good. Its not a good plan.”

This was the private study of Big Boss, the place where he and his most capable advisors discussed their most secretive affairs. The person who spoke was just outside the door. Who was it that dared to enter the study without the permission of Big Boss? Big Boss’s opinions were always right. If he said it was a good plan, it was a good plan. No one had ever dared to say otherwise.

But this person was an exception.

In front of Big Boss, only this person was allowed to do things that others did not dare to do. Only this person was allowed to say things that others did not dare to say; because the things that this person could do for Big Boss could be not replicated by many others. As soon as he heard this person’s voice, Big Boss exclaimed joyfully:

“Ho Sat has returned!”

Steam rose and curled above a large bowl of beef noodles. The stock used for this was the primary stock and four eggs and 2 large pieces of pork were added to the noodles. It was a delicious looking bowl of noodles. However, Ah Cat could not taste the noodles at all. It had been quite a while since Ah Cat had been able to eat something this delicious. To him this food was fit for an emperor. Ah Cat was always one who wanted to share the deliciousness and sweetness of life with his friends. He really wanted to go back to Dai Nguu’s house and visit Mieu Tu and ‘the girl’. But he did not dare to do so.

When he left Iron Head’s house the table was still stacked high with silver from the previous night’s betting. However, Ah Cat only took the smallest silver teal with him. He needed to eat something nourishing to restore his strength and thus he needed finish this bowl of noodles. This noodle store was very small store. It was crowded and dark inside and yet Ah Cat still chose to sit in the darkest furthest corner from the light. His head was bent down as he forcefully tried to finish his noodles. He did not want to look and other people and he did not want them to look at him. He only wanted to be able to peacefully finish his bowl of noodles. However, he was not allowed to do so.

As he was reaching the second egg, the wooden roof above him shook and a large clump of dirt landed in his bowl of noodles.

“Don’t move. Don’t even smile. If you do you will die!”

Ah Cat did not move nor did he smile.

The only waiter in this small store was shaking with fear as he saw the person holding a precious sabre that shone like a mirror. Moreover, he could see the deep sunken eyes which shone with the cruelty of a wild animal. A wild animal which has been hunted to the point where he has nowhere else to run will have eyes that overflowed with fear and hatred.

“Sit down slowly.”

He ordered the waiter.

“Act as if nothing has happened.”

The waiter immediately collapsed upon an old wooden bench.

He ordered Ah Cat.

“Continue to eat the noodles. You must eat the entire bowl.”

Ah Cat continued to eat. This bowl of noodles only had a clump of dirt which was nothing to the Ah Cat who had even eaten a bun, which had fallen into manure water. He felt that the person behind him was one who was filled with immense fear but he did not understand who or what that person was afraid of. But he did not really want to know why. However at that moment, he spotted a huge, proud looking man walking past the front of the store. As soon as they saw this man, most of the townsfolk would bow and incline their heads. The man behind Ah Cat seemed even tenser and he seemed to be trembling uncontrollably. He was probably afraid of that huge man. Who was this huge man? How could he instil fear into everyone in this town?

As Ah Cat bent his head to continue his meal, he noticed the huge man glance into the store; his gaze was like a flash of lightning. It was lucky that it was just a glance and the man continued pass the store. It was only then that Ah Cat saw that at his hip he wore a rope onto which six people were tied into a line behind him. All six were wearing very ragged clothes. Even their hats, belts and shoes were very worn. All six had been beaten until their faces were swollen with bruises. Some had even had their arms or legs broken. Each person had the rope around their neck like an obedient dog on a walk with its master. The man behind Ah Cat sighed and his hand around the sabre loosened.

Ah Cat suddenly asked:

“Those people are your friends aren’t they?”

The man snapped fiercely:

“Shut up.”

Ah Cat did not shut up.

“If you have had a chance to escape, why did you not find a way to rescue them as well?”

The question had not been finished before a sabre was at his throat and a person said in a cold voice.

“Even if you did not open your mouth I would have still killed you anyway.”

The huge man who had walked past the store had suddenly appeared in front of Ah Cat. His eyes shone like lightning, he had high cheekbones and beak like nose and a proud mouth. Ah Cat bent down and continued to eat his noodles.

The person crouched behind Ah Cat still had his sabre on Ah Cat’s neck.

“If you move I will cut his throat!”

The huge man answered:

“If you kill him I will kill you.”

His voice was cold as he lamented:

“I wanted you to live for at least another three years so that you could be punished for another three years.”

Ah Cat continued to forcefully eat his noodles.

The person behind him suddenly leapt high into the air, the sabre in his hand gleaming bright as he aimed a lightning chop towards the huge man’s head. The huge man did not move his head nor did he move his body out of the way. He simply reached upwards and grabbed the wrist, which held the sabre. Crack! His wrist had been broken. Clang, as the sabre fell upon the ground. The sabre wielding man kneeled upon the floor.

The huge man looked at him coldly.

“Are you coming or not?”

The kneeling man had tears streaming down his face as he said repeatedly:

“I’ll come! Please let me come!”

The huge man grinned and dragged the defeated man to leave. Suddenly he turned around and stared at Ah Cat. Ah Cat continued to steadily eat his noodles. The huge man laughed sarcastically as he commented:

“You are pretty good at keeping your cool.”

Ah Cat did not look up.

“I am starving and I can only think about eating this bowl of noodles.”

The huge man stared at Ah Cat for a long time before he suddenly turned to the waiter of the store.

“I’ll pay for that bowl of noodles.”

The waiter replied.

“Yes.”

Ah Cat:

“Thank you.”

The huge man replied:

“No need!”

The rope had wound its way around another person. Now there were seven people trailing the huge man like a troop of dogs.
    Finally Ah Cat finished the bowl of noodles. He was determined to finish the bowl of noodles even though it had a clump of dirt, even if it had fresh blood in it and even if there were tears within the bowl. He finally got up and walked over to the waiter.

“Who was that person just then?” He asked.

The waiter who was still scared of his wits and trembling from fright replied:

“Who?”

Ah Cat:

“The person who just treated me to that bowl of noodles.”

The waiter looked right and left for a long time before he lowered his voice and whispered near Ah Cat’s ear.

“You can’t borrow money off that person.”

Ah Cat answered with a question:

“What is his name?”

The waiter answered:

“Iron Tiger Ho Sat, though he is stronger than iron and much more evil than a tiger.”

Ah Cat laughed, his laughter filled with an indescribable emotion.

“To be able to tie seven wolves and make them act like obedient dogs means that he is definitely fiercer than a tiger.”

The voice of the waiter was already soft but he lowered it even further.

“Do you know him?”

“No” Ah Cat replied.

He laughed rather strangely. He said slowly:

“Though I know that both of us will soon get to know each other.”

“Ho Sat has returned!”

Ho Sat was now standing in front of Big Boss. Although his back was bent and head was lowered slightly to show respect, his body still gave off a feeling of total arrogance a type of posture that could not be mimicked by any another person. His arrogance was real whereas respect wasn’t something that he was going to show to anyone.

Big Boss said:

“You’ve returned much earlier than we expected.”

Ho Sat replied:

“It’s because this pack of wolves are fundamentally a pack of dogs.”

Big Boss smiled and replied:

“Before you, a true wolf would still become a dog.”

Ho Sat smiled. He was not a modest person. He loved hearing others praised him, especially when the boss praised him.

Big Boss asked:

“So where is the pack of dogs now?”

Ho Sat replied:

“Six dead dogs acted as bait for the wolves and seven live dogs were brought back here.”

Big Boss:

“So none managed to escape?”

Ho Sat:

“Along the way one of the dogs escaped. I never would have thought that he would have a sabre down the leg of his pants.”

Big Boss asked:

“So where is the sabre now?”

Ho Sat replied:

“Up his ***.”

Big Boss laughed. He loved the way Ho Sat did things. He always used the most straight forward, simplest most effective method.

Suddenly Ho Sat asked:

“Earlier who was it that Boss said you wanted to meet?”

Big Boss:

“His name is Ah Cat.”

Ho Sat:

“Ah Cat?”

Big Boss said:

“I know you have never heard of that name. In reality he really has no name. He likes to call himself the ‘useless thing’.”

Ho Sat:

“But he is actually a very useful thing?”

Big Boss:

“Not only is he very useful, sometimes it feels like he is a big name in jiang wu. However, some people with big names may never want others to remind them of their names again.”

Ho Sat understood what Big Boss meant. He was the same. He had chosen to bury his true name for many years now.

Big Boss:

“We had an arrangement to meet tonight but Tieu Diep (Little Leaf i.e. referring to Truc Diep Thanh) is afraid something will happen to me.”

Ho Sat laughed:

“Perhaps Tieu Diep’s courage is even smaller than that of a little leaf.”

Big Boss said:

“Don’t blame him. If everyone did their work a little more carefully, then we’d have a lot less mistakes.”

Truc Diep Thanh had been silent the entire time, listening and occasionally laughing with the other two. He waited until Ho Sat was finished before he said:

“Before I could not help but be cautious because Ho Dai Ge (Big Brother Ho) was not here.”

Ho Sat:

“And now?”

Truc Diep Thanh:

“Ofcourse it is different now.”

He laughed but it was a laugh that made others feel uncomfortable.

“Now if Boss wants to see anyone, there is no one whom you can’t bring to him.”

Ho Sat glared at Truc Diep Thanh:

“You think I can’t do that don’t you?”

Truc Diep Thanh replied:

“If there was something in this world that Ho Dai Ge could not do then no one else in the world could do it.”

Ho Sat’s two fists were clenched.

Big Boss suddenly said:

“You’re tired.”

He was talking to Truc Diep Thanh.

“Now that Ho Sat has returned, there are no more problems. You should go catch a few winks.”

Truc Diep Thanh:

“Yes.”

Big Boss continued:

“If you see someone on the bed waiting for you to return to sleep with you then you don’t need to hesitate or be afraid of offending anyone.”

Truc Diep Thanh:

“Yes.”

Big Boss:

“Whoever it may be.”

Truc Diep Thanh:

“Yes.”

He immediately left without asking who the person was or asking any further details. Big Boss had given him a command and he would always obey and obey without question.

Truc Diep Thanh had reached the door of the room and yet Ho Sat was still glaring at him intently, his fists clenched to the extent that his veins stood out starkly against his skin. Normally, anyone who saw this glare of his would be finding a way to avoid it and be as far away from it as possible.

Big Boss stared straight into his fearsome eyes:

“How long have you been with me for?”

Ho Sat:

“About five years.”

Big Boss:

“Not five years but four years nine months and fourteen days.”

Admiration and respect filled Ho Sat’s eyes. He could not believe that Big Boss would remember such an insignificant detail so clearly. A person who could remember such small details normally had the admiration and respect of many.

Big Boss:

“Do you know how long Tieu Diep has followed me?”

Ho Sat:

“Not as long as me.”

Big Boss:

“He has followed me for more than six years, specifically six years 3 months and 13 days.”

Ho Sat could not say anything to that.

Big Boss said:

“You’ve followed me and in those years you have used up forty seven thousand silver taels of mine and changed seventy nine women. What of Tieu Diep?”

How was Ho Sat suppose to know such a thing?

Big Boss continued:

“I have instructed my accounts to let both of you have as much money as you wanted and yet during the six years he has been with me Tieu Diep has only spent 3 teals.”

Ho Sat had been silent for a while but now he burst out:

“There are some people who know how to spend money and there are some who don’t!”

Big Boss continued:

“He has never had a single woman either.”

Ho Sat:

“Then he is not a man!”

Big Boss continued as if speaking to himself.

“But the things he does for me are no less than the things you have done for me.”

Ho Sat did not want to admit it but he could not deny it either.

Big Boss asked:

“Tieu Diep has worked for me, not for fame nor fortune nor women. What could be the reason then?”

Ho Sat did not utter a single sound.

Big Boss:

“If you discount fame, fortune or women, what is the last thing that can move a man’s heart?”

Big Boss continued without waiting for an answer.

“Its power! Power.”

End Chapter 16

This chapter has an awesome ending and it was pretty easy to translate so i am quite happy. But the following chapters look much harder. I couldn't help myself and read about five chapters ahead. There are two in particular that i don't quite like in terms of translating but storywise it is good. I'm going to be working all of this week so the next update will probably come out next week or in maybe in 5 days if i am good. I find Ah Cat to be a person that i totally do not get at all. But i think its in the next chapter that we can pretty guess who he is. That or chapter 18. Anyways, enjoy.

Btw, no one has replied about the word/pdf thing. I guess no one knows?

Sorry this is a little late.

Chapter 16 recap:

Big Boss:

“If you discount fame, fortune or women, what is the last thing that can move a man’s heart?”

Big Boss continued without waiting for an answer.

“Its power! Power.”

Chapter 17: Carefully hidden, not to be shown

If a man had power then there was nothing the world that he could not have.

Big Boss:

“He doesn’t like anything, maybe it’s my throne that he prefers.”

Ho Sat’s eyes lit up.

“As long as Boss says the word, I’ll remove him immediately.”

Big Boss:

“Are you sure?”

Ho Sat:

“I…”

Big Boss:

“I know of your martial arts prowess and that you have defeated many famed fighters before this.”

Ho Sat did not deny this, nor did he feel the need to be modest.

Big Boss:

“For six years I have never let Tieu Diep participate in any assignment because even I felt that he had no martial arts.”

Ho Sat:

“Ofcourse he doesn’t.”

Big Boss:

“You are wrong and even I have been wrong.”

Ho Sat:

“Huh?”

Big Boss continued immediately:

“It was only until today that I realised that he was a martial arts expert.”

Ho Sat asked immediately:

“What kind of expert?”

Big Boss:

“An expert at using the sabre”

Ho Sat:

“Boss has seen him use a sabre?”

Big Boss:

“It was only today when I saw him use the sabre that I realised his sabre skill is far better than any other sabre skill I have seen.”

The flash of the blade and subsequently the removal of half of Kim Hoa Lan’s ear.

Big Boss said:

“His sabre is not only fast but precise. It seems that for all these years he has hidden this skill carefully and not allowed it to be known at all. And he still thinks that I have not realised it.”

Big Boss smiled:

“But he is wrong. Even if I don’t eat pork I have still seen a pig run across the street before!”

Big Boss was still smiling very calmly but Ho Sat was starting to boil over with anger.

“Its not like I’ve never seen a person who has used a sabre before.”

Big Boss replied:

“I know that sabre experts such as the sabre skills of Ngu Ho Doan Sect, Van Thanh Sect, Thai Hang Khoai etc have been defeated by you number at least twenty to thirty…”

Ho Sat said:

“If we include Flying Dragon Sabre Giang Trung that I defeated today then its thirty people altogether.”

Big Boss said:

“I know you could definitely remove him for me.”

Ho Sat said: “Anytime you wanted.”

Big Boss:

“But now is not the time.”

Ho Sat asked:

“Why?”

Big Boss:

“Because I know that now is not the time he will not betray me.”

Ho Sat said:

“By the time you know it may be too late.”

Big Boss said:

“It will never be too late.”

Ho Sat:

“Why?”

Big Boss:

“Because he is a man. Any man who stands before a woman he likes will have a hard time keeping all his secrets in his heart.”

Upon the table there was a vase upon which flowers were displayed. Big Boss reached over a extracted a single chrysanthemum and held it to his nose to savour the scent.

“If this woman is fairly clever and is continuously sharing his pillow with him, even if he does not say anything, she will know.”

Ho Sat:

“So he does like women then?”

Big Boss:

“Ofcourse he does.”

Ho Sat:

“Who?”

Big Boss:

“Tu Linh.”

Big Boss continued explaining as he knew Ho Sat did not know who she was:

“She’s the girl I brought home from the river Hoai. The one with a mole near her mouth.”

Ho Sat was not stupid. He immediately understood.

“She’s the woman who is waiting for him at home on his bed isn’t she?”

Big Boss smiled. He knew that he had made Ho Sat realise two things: the fact that he was not an easy opponent to deal with, nor should he ever be underestimated. And also that his true confidant was only Ho Sat. He knew that based on these two facts, he had made Ho Sat loyal to him for the rest of his life. Big Boss smiled and closed his eyes. Ho Sat withdrew quietly from the room. Big Boss believed that Ho Sat would be able to deal with Ah Cat. He knew that firstly Ho Sat would go over to see Iron Arm Ah Dung to enquire about the technique Ah Cat had used to injure him.

Ho Sat, when doing most things, was very rough and careless. However, when he met an opponent who could truly challenge him, he immediately because very cautious and ingenious when dealing with them. From ten years ago when he was renowned across all of wulin, nobody had ever been able to escape when he went to claim their lives.

Big Boss closed his eyes and saw Ah Cat fall by Ho Sat’s sword. He saw Ah Cat fall forward into his own pile of blood and tears.

The room was clean and very comfortable. Big Boss was always generous to those that followed him and Ah Dung still had his uses. However, currently Ah Dung’s arm was swathed in bandages. He was in tremendous pain.

When Ho Sat entered, Ah Dung who was lying on the bed was hoping that it was Mistress Ca Han who had found a virgin for him to get rid of his anger. But now he knew it was Ho Sat. To enter the room arrogantly without knocking could only mean Ho Sat. Ah Dung had always been annoyed by this habit of his, but he had never said anything to Ho Sat. Because he knew that, especially at moments like this, he needed friends like Ho Sat. Even saying so, if Ho Sat suddenly died, Ah Dung would be unlikely to shed a tear over his death.

Seeing that Ah Dung’s arm was bandaged so tightly, Ho Sat raised an eyebrow:

“You are very heavily injured?”

Ah Dung forced a laugh. Ofcourse he was heavily injured. It was possible that he might never be able to use this arm ever again but this possibility must never reach the ears of Big Boss. He knew that Big Boss was not the type to continue to support a disabled man who had no hope of recovering.

Ho Sat:

“Who was the person who injured you?”

Ah Dung:

“He said his name was Ah Cat. Useless Ah Cat.”

Ho Sat:

“Even so, he managed to injure you heavily and kill Dai Cuong?”

Ah Dung forced a smile.

“Maybe he is useless in all other areas, but his martial arts are definitely not useless.”

Ho Sat asked:

“What did he use to injure you?”

Ah Dung:

“He only used his hands.”

At first Ah Dung wanted to insist that he had been injured by a weapon, but he soon realised he would not be able to sustain this lie as so many people had seen the battle between him and Ah Cat.

Ho Sat’s furrowed his brows. He knew that Ah Dung’s Iron Arm was no weak and that it was no easy thing for someone to crush the iron on his arm using their bare hands.

Ah Dung said:

“I know you’ve come to ask me what technique he used to crush my arm haven’t you?”

Ho Sat admitted it. He was not someone who would come just to visit the injured.

Ah Dung:

“But it’s a pity I am not sure which sect his kung fu is from.”

Ho Sat’s face began to show signs of anger.

“You have trained in martial arts for twenty years and have roamed Jiang Wu for quite and while as well. Now that someone has beaten you up this badly and yet you can’t even name which sect his techniques come from?”

Ah Dung answered:

“He attacked too quickly for me to see.”

Ho Sat smiled coldly. Suddenly he grabbed Ah Dung’s injured arm and began taking off the bandages around it.

Ah Dung’s face changed colour:

“What are you doing?”

Ho Sat:

“I want to see your injury.”

Ah Dung forced a smile.

“There’s nothing to see, it’s just an arm injury.”

Ho Sat:

“There is something to see.”

Ah Dung continued:

“The doctor told me that he had bandaged my arm real good and that I was not suppose to touch it for two days.”

Ho Sat barked:

“And what do I care about the old fart?!”

Ah Dung could only be silent as the bandages themselves had already been removed anyway.

Ho Sat’s face changed colour as he looked at Ah Dung’s arm. The iron arm which he had been training for twenty years had been smashed to such an extent! And it had been done by only three fingers. Upon the arm of Ah Dung, the deep purple imprint of three fingers could still be seen. What kind of martial arts did this Useless Ah Cat practice anyway?

Ho Sat sighed:

“No matter what happens we are still friends.”

Ah Dung smiled a brown nosing smile.

“Yes we are friends.”

Ho Sat said:

“So don’t worry, I definitely won’t reveal this to anyone.”

Ah Dung forced a smile.

“Reveal what?”

Ho Sat:

“This arm of yours can never be used again.”

The smile on Ah Dung’s face froze and his pupils constricted.

Ho Sat continued:

“Though even if I keep this secret for you, Boss will realise this sooner or later. You had better prepare and leave as soon as possible”

Ah Dung shouted loudly:

“Using one arm I can still kill people for Boss.”

Ho Sat smiled cynically:

“It depends on the type of people you kill. Who needs you to kill people who are no better than a cripple?”

He reached into his clothes and pulled out a wad of money and threw them onto Ah Dun’s lap without counting.

“This is money that you will eventually need to use. Keep it with you and don’t use it all at once.”

Once he finished that sentence, Ho Sat did not even bother to look at Ah Dung again as he left the room.

Ah Dung could only listlessly stare after Ho Sat as he left.

Unexpectedly, he heard the gentle voice of Truc Diep Thanh:

“I’ve come to visit the injured and I’ve just caught the end of your conversation.”

Ah Dung said:

“You’ve heard right? Well its all for the better that you’ve heard.”

Truc Diep Thanh:

“Objectively speaking, he is not a bad friend towards you.”

Ah Dung:

“He’s not a bad friend. He’s very good to me. That’s why he told me to keep this money with me.”

Suddenly he laughed loudly.

“Keep this money and do what? Use it to open a general store and be a store manager? Or become a butcher and sell beef?”

He laughed crazily for a long time before using his remaining arm to throw the wad of money into the air. He then lay face down on the bed, sobbing with pain and despair.

Truc Diep Thanh understood what Ah Dung was feeling and so he let him cry for a long while before he said in a warm and gentle voice:

“You just go and get a doctor to help you get better and not worry about anything. No matter what happens I will find some way to help you.”

Big Boss, still with his eyes closed, accepted a cup of tea from a warm and soft hand. He took two slow sips before asking:

“Where is Tu Linh?”

“She is over at Mr Diep’s place.”

“She and Mr Diep they have already…”

“One time already…”

Big Boss smiled. He had guessed that Truc Diep Thanh would follow his orders. Who would dare to not obey the boss?

Big Boss:

“And Ho Sat?”

“He has already left.”

“Did he say where he was going?”

“Firstly he went to visit Ah Dung and now it seems like he is going to visit Mistress Ca Han’s place.

Big Boss frowned before he realised why Ho Sat had gone there; obviously not to find women. The first time Ah Cat had appeared was at Mistress Ca Han’s and so if he wanted to find out the identity of Ah Cat, he would have to ask her. She would know more than anyone else about Ah Cat. Even if it was only a tiny little bit more. Just the fact that Ho Sat had thought of this meant that he was far more careful and prepared against this than any other opponent he has faced before. This made Big Boss laugh even more happily.

Now everything was within his control. Everybody was moving according to his will. Any person who defied him or dared to underestimate him would never escape his punishment. His punishment was always fair but excruciatingly harsh.

Ho Sat was now sitting opposite Mistress Han and looking her straight in the eye. He waited until her eyes stopped smouldering before him before he said:

“You know why I am here don’t you?”

Mistress Han smiled, her eyes slits upon her face.

“I know that this time you have been sent on a very tiring assignment. Coincidently I have some new goods which I assure you are of high quality. Among them there is one who is still whole and complete.”

Ho Sat:

“The person I am looking for is not a woman.”

Mistress Han asked:

“Could it be that Mr Ho has had a change in tastes and now wants to try young boys instead of women?”

Ho Sat’s face darkened as he said coldly:

“If you are drunk, I have a way to sober you up immediately!”

The smile on Mistress Han’s face froze.

Ho Sat:

“Are you sober yet?”

Mistress Han:

“Yes I am sober.”

Ho Sat:

“So you know who I am looking for?”

Mistress Han said:

“You must be looking for Ah Cat. Useless Ah Cat isn’t it?”

Ho Sat said:

“I heard that he came from your place.”

Mistress Han:

“He was unconscious for a while at our place.”

Ho Sat:

“So where is he from?”

Mistress Han:

“How am I supposed to know? When he got here he was completely drunk and passed out for many days.”

Ho Sat looked at Mistress Han until he could see that she was not lying. Then he asked:

“Why did you let him work for you?”

Mistress Han:

“Because he had no money to pay his debts and I felt sorry for him because he was young.”

Ho Sat:

“Because he is young and he is not bad looking isn’t he?”

Mistress Han went red.

“But he has no relationship with me.”

Ho Sat said:

“Because he sees you as trash.”

Mistress Han sighed.

“It seems that he sees all women as trash.”

Ho Sat continued his questions:

“Has he done anything unusual during the time he stayed here?”

Every single question that Ho Sat asked was asked very suddenly and quickly and it was obvious that he had thought carefully about them. However, Mistress Han did not dare to answer immediately. She thought very carefully before answering because she knew that if she made a mistake, she would be signing her own death warrant.

“It is strange. He never really did anything unusual. He washed the dishes, poured tea for customers…”

She suddenly remembered something that was partially unusual.

“He has received many sabre wounds because of me here.”

Ho Sat:

“Who was using the sabres?”

Mistress Han said:

“I think it was the subordinates under Phu Xe.”

Ho Sat:

“Ah Cat killed them?”

Mistress Han:

“No. He didn’t retaliate at all.”

The pupils in Ho Sat’s eyes constricted:

“Don’t tell me he just stood there and received all the slashes from those punks?”

Mistress Han:

“He didn’t move at all.”

Ho Sat’s eyes twitched. His eyes did not just twitch when he wanted to kill someone; it also twitched as a foretelling. He had grown up in a poor environment in the city so naturally he had been cut by sabres before. The first time before he was cut by a sabre, his eyes had twitched like this. That time, he was facing an opponent who was truly terrifying. This time, what type of person would he be dealing with?

Why would a person who could use three fingers to crush the iron arm of Ah Dung hide in a place like this and allow some little punks to cut him up with sabres? Why would he preserve here and endure all sorts of hardship and abuse when he didn’t have to?

Mistress Han sighed and said:

“At that time I never would have imagined that he was this type of person.”

Ho Sat:

“According to you, what type of person is he?”

Mistress Han:

“I heard he killed Mr Iron Head last night.”

Ho Sat:

“Can you think of why he allowed those punks to slash him at that time without retaliating?”

Mistress Han thought for a moment.

“Maybe he has done something in the past that has made him unable to face anyone.”

Ho Sat:

“You’re wrong.”

Mistress Han:

“Wrong?”

Ho Sat:

“What does he gain from standing there instead of you and getting slashed by sabres?”

End Chapter 17

Thank you so much for the translation Kara! I can't wait for the next chapter

Thank you so much for commenting. Sometimes i feel like no one is reading this translation. It makes me feel very happy to read your comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Kara
    Thank you so much for commenting. Sometimes i feel like no one is reading this translation. It makes me feel very happy to read your comment.
    There's always still Han Solo who reads this religiously over many years.

This is one of 4 Gu Long novels that i really wanted to read in its full.

Han Solo

Thanks Han Solo. I will try my best to finish this for people like you then. =) BTW, what are the other three novels you want to read?