Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: How do you become a Moderator?

Moderating job isn't all it cracks up to be. I have moderated before in other forums and it does require you to devote significant amount of your spare time to be an effective moderator as well as the added responsibility. Also you will have to read every thread, even ones that don't interest you. It can get boring fast. It's not like you can go around abusing your power, that's not what it means to be a moderator.

And if you only want to be a moderator to feed your power hunger, then it's just a sign of immaturity. Good moderators usually don't expect anything in return for their service, they just want to help make the forum better and pleasant place to discuss their favorite topics. At the same time, since moderators do participate in discussions, they have to keep their words in check so not to aggravate any minor situation into a bannable offense.

That's my 2cents on moderators

Quote Originally Posted by GuGu1995
    No problem doc. I'm willing to test out anything for you LOL, Net posts your PMs? How rude As long as I'm good, I know I won't get banned. I'm not so sure about Bellamia's heart breaking, she might jump in joy instead Wow, didn't know that you're a doctor!
    LOL of course I'm not a doctor I can't even keep my plants alive for long enough...not to mention being a doctor would mean I'd have to be 30 or something around that...I just know from my pamphlet that you need to take prenatal vitamins (for the record, I am NOT pregnant).

How could bellamia jump for joy? I bet that if you were banned, bellamia would be ->> for three days and three nights.

Yes, he posts my PMs. It was back when I was trying to stay within my 999 limit. It was a convenient way to voice my opinions while allowing him to feel good about his rudeness.
    I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know? -Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by spcnet
    Show us some love (none of that fake kind please)!
    Huh? Are you insinuating that I have fake boobs?
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Quote Originally Posted by Yeung Gor
    Also you will have to read every thread, even ones that don't interest you.
    That's just not practical on any forum that gets appreciable traffic, and SPCNET gets fairly heavy traffic. I don't know of any moderator who actually reads *every* thread. Moderators, like other members, read the threads that interest them. If there's trouble in a thread that a moderator doesn't visit, members will usually notify him/her before long. It really isn't necessary or practical for a moderator to try to read every thread that gets posted.

Moderators have lives outside the forums too.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky
    Yes, he posts my PMs. It was back when I was trying to stay within my 999 limit. It was a convenient way to voice my opinions while allowing him to feel good about his rudeness.
    oh purlease! the content that i posted was harmless - it wasn't like i was posting your vital statistics for everyone to read. anyone with access to the backend database could read the PMs (unless vBulletin encodes the text fields in binary) - so it's not that private if you ask me
    If you don't like my flag, then you can kiss my rebel a55

Quote Originally Posted by NetDriftr
    oh purlease! the content that i posted was harmless - it wasn't like i was posting your vital statistics for everyone to read. anyone with access to the backend database could read the PMs (unless vBulletin encodes the text fields in binary) - so it's not that private if you ask me
    Did I ever mention it was harmful?
    I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know? -Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by NetDriftr
    Harmless or not, NetDriftr, it's bad Netiquette to post information that is meant to be private discussion in a public forum. Moreover, just because there are people who have special knowledge of how this forum's technology works doesn't mean it's right to violate others' privacy. Banks can be robbed because their security is imperfect; that doesn't mean that it's right or legal to rob banks.

Please don't do it any more.

aww.. i wanna be but... i don't have too much spare time... i'm a busy person...
    "Deep South.."
    "when you rush you miss the important things when you take your time you find new paths"
    "Beware the fury of a patient man."

Quote Originally Posted by spcnet
    (Don't worry, Suet Sueng, I'm still here, usually during the weekends.)

When I was picking moderators in the past, it was mostly just based on an overall impression of how I felt about the member's posts and maturity level. One of the requirements was that you needed at least 200 posts so that I could have something significant to make a judgement on (so newbies, don't even bother PM'ing me about it). Currently though, I don't see any need for extra moderators since I like to keep the forum as informal as possible. In an ideal scenario, moderators are no different than other members, except that they have extra administrative responsibilities to keep the forum threads in order. It actually causes us a lot of stress when we have to deal with a member who's out to cause trouble or just can't respect the forum rules because bans are never fun to deal out.

I think some members are being overly critical about moderators just because they represent a form of authority or jumping on the bandwagon of bashing moderators for no apparent reason at times. It's rather discouraging to hear that kind of talk and it doesn't benefit anyone. Show us some love (none of that fake kind please)!
    Actually, i would like to use this opportunity to apply to be a moderator.

My brief CV.

Name: Han Solo

Active in Wuxia fiction, wuxia translation and academia sections.

Responsible, knowledgeable, gets well with forum members, and in addition i have extra free time for moderation duties.

The main reason that i am volunteering is that some of the forum area that i frequented i.e. Wuxia translation and academia has not had much input from the moderator team, and i believe an active moderator may help to streamline the posts over there.

In addition, SPCNet has been a wonderful part of my life for years, and being not being able to contribute financially to its well-being, pls let me contribute my time and expertise.

Yours sincerely,
    Han Solo
    p/s: pls PM me.....

Quote Originally Posted by Han Solo
    Actually, i would like to use this opportunity to apply to be a moderator.

My brief CV.

Name: Han Solo

Active in Wuxia fiction, wuxia translation and academia sections.

Responsible, knowledgeable, gets well with forum members, and in addition i have extra free time for moderation duties.

The main reason that i am volunteering is that some of the forum area that i frequented i.e. Wuxia translation and academia has not had much input from the moderator team, and i believe an active moderator may help to streamline the posts over there.

In addition, SPCNet has been a wonderful part of my life for years, and being not being able to contribute financially to its well-being, pls let me contribute my time and expertise.

Yours sincerely,
    Han Solo
    p/s: pls PM me.....
    Han solo, you specialize in medicine.. right???
    "Deep South.."
    "when you rush you miss the important things when you take your time you find new paths"

Quote Originally Posted by maki_hitsugaya
    Han solo, you specialize in medicine.. right???
    Yes, i'm a doctor.

Han Solo

Yes, i'm a doctor.

Han Solo
    you answered my question a long time ago.. about a certain disease... thanks for that...
    "Deep South.."

Mr. SPCNet i would agree for Mr. Han Solo to be made a moderator... because he's a really nice dude.. and this time i mean it...

Mr. Han Solo...
    Hope this helps...
    "Deep South.."

Han is SPCNET's house medic.

Cry out for Han if you get hurt while reading or writing at SPCNET Forums.

I usually go to see Han when overly mushy romance conversations make me sick to my stomach.

yeah.. but it seems that his medical check up thread has been deleted..
    "Deep South.."

Quote Originally Posted by maki_hitsugaya
    Mr. SPCNet i would agree for Mr. Han Solo to be made a moderator... because he's a really nice dude.. and this time i mean it...

Mr. Han Solo...
    Hope this helps...
    Thanks for the support.

And the other thing, the Han Solo's Clinic thread is still there in the Academia section, just in page 2 or 3 it you need it.

Han Solo

Thanks for the support.

And the other thing, the Han Solo's Clinic thread is still there in the Academia section, just in page 2 or 3 it you need it.

Han Solo
    thanks... cool.. i didn't know that, that thread is still alive...
    "Deep South.."

Quote Originally Posted by Candide
    Huh? Are you insinuating that I have fake boobs?
    I'm finding that you sound more and more so like that levendis d'orange person, wherever he/she is. And both of you sound a bit like the Janitor/Mike Liu..ahh the good times when they were wreaking havoc.

And a lot of older members disappeared...like Yonyon (she used to have this cool website too), and a couple more usernames I can't remember hmm...
    Last edited by yearning; 01-17-07 at 03:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by yearning
    I'm finding that you sound more and more so like that levendis d'orange person, wherever he/she is.
    Actually, Candide sounds most like a departed member named "TristeCouer."

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    Actually, Candide sounds most like a departed member named "TristeCouer."
    Hmmm Now that you mention it....Wasn't Candide married to Tristecour?
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.