Thread: Common/Reoccuring themes and more in TVB serials Today

Default Common/Reoccuring themes and more in TVB serials Today

Not just Korean dramas have common themes but TVB has common themes too!

What are some reoccuring themes and things that happened in more than one TVB serials? e.g. Fate to Face -Tavia's long lost father, LWOLAP- Bosco and Long-lost father, Under the Canopy of Love--Bosco and long-lost father.

TVB seem to have lotsa Long-lost father/son/daughter theme.

Can you name some? Name a series and a theme.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

In most series, TVB picks one business area and the whole story revolves around it.

Let me see, there were:
    Wine
    Life insurance
    Hotel
    Food and catering
    Fashion
    etc.

In these series, two main characters usually hate each other at the very beginning to to some misunderstanding, and then after they are forced to work together, they realize that they love each other. There are also third parties that interfere with their relationship, but no matter what at the end the two main characters will end up with each other.
    Last edited by mellon; 01-14-07 at 05:48 PM.

I think TVB should try to do an honest-to-goodness superhero/sci-fi show, just because they've NEVER done one before. Something to break the monotony of their repetitive dramas.

a little island east of america and west of europe

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    I think TVB should try to do an honest-to-goodness superhero/sci-fi show, just because they've NEVER done one before. Something to break the monotony of their repetitive dramas.
    From memory, they have dabbled a little in this genre, but the Hong Kong people weren't too interested. A couple of examples include 富貴超人 (1990) where Roger Kwok gets super powers after being struck by lightning and also the pseudo sci-fi in "Mystery Files" 迷離檔案 (1997) that was tagged onto the X-files hype.

TVB writers are just recycling stuff over and over again nowadays, but then again if that's what the viewers want, then why go against the shareholders' wishes.

Wasn't there a series called The Legendary Ranger ft. Leon Lai, Catherine Hung, Marco Ngai, Michelle Reis and Athena Chu, kind of sci-fi/modern day hero type of serial? There was some kind of brain transplanting and weird stuff.

I remember a series with Ada Choi,Kenix Kwok, Fiona Leung(maybe) and Canti Lau as a doctor and it involved some vengeance story with ghosts.
    Last edited by Suet Seung; 01-14-07 at 08:51 PM.

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

What I'd like to watch is a horror series from TVB. They haven't truly produced one of these in a long long time. You can argue the Mystery Files were somewhat classified as horror, but I thought that series was just a little more intense than W-Files. The last horror series TVB produced from my recollection is Shades of Darkness. I thought the Detective Mystic Files I and II starring Michael Tao and Felix Wong were very interesting and wished TVB would do something similar. They had a mini series called The Zone, however the cases were only 20 minutes long and lacked plot development. I guess TVB is known as a family channel and these series don't really fit their reputation and target audience. Anybody else want horror series or is it just me?

Quote Originally Posted by wang23
    What I'd like to watch is a horror series from TVB. They haven't truly produced one of these in a long long time. You can argue the Mystery Files were somewhat classified as horror, but I thought that series was just a little more intense than W-Files. The last horror series TVB produced from my recollection is Shades of Darkness. I thought the Detective Mystic Files I and II starring Michael Tao and Felix Wong were very interesting and wished TVB would do something similar. They had a mini series called The Zone, however the cases were only 20 minutes long and lacked plot development. I guess TVB is known as a family channel and these series don't really fit their reputation and target audience. Anybody else want horror series or is it just me?

HERE ! i want horror movies ! =) but i enjoy TVB comedy more..but not the one like Virtues of harmony or Welcome to the house. it's a waste of $$ if you're gonna rent it coz it's really a long series...but just wait it till it air on tv ..

Quote Originally Posted by mellon
    In these series, two main characters usually hate each other at the very beginning to to some misunderstanding, and then after they are forced to work together, they realize that they love each other. There are also third parties that interfere with their relationship, but no matter what at the end the two main characters will end up with each other.
    I think that's typical of any romance drama, so it's not typically tvb. like korean dramas.

The most common theme in tvb series are police related series, and law series. In one year, there must be at least 2-3 of the first.

Come to think of it...in Twins of Brothers, Better Halves, and that series with Annie Man and Frankie Lam included a long-lost-father/daughter/son plot.

a little island east of america and west of europe

There may be broadcasting standards rules that prevent TVB from overdoing the horror genre. "The Zone" was probably as far as it could go without getting millions of complaints.

I'd like to see some good modern day mysteries. They have tried to do this a lot of times such as Greed Mask and To Get Unstuck in Time etc, but they aren't very good at building some deep suspense... the kind of storyline that just leaves you gagging to find out whodunnit.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    Or they can try doing the more controversial stuff like Greed of Man. I think TVB is too conservative and we end up see things that are really cliche or formuliac. I mean the typical romances that TVB does nowadays are so cliche and boring.

I like shows like Police Cadet where they revolve a simple story around the main character and through character development, we learn about them. After watching the series, you feel like you know the guy and feels realistic at the same time.
    "If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put it in a bottle it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friends.