Page 2 of 43 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: What Japanese Series Are You Watching?

I've started watching Fire Boys. The rivalry between Taka's character Shigo and the main guy Daigo is pretty funny. I like their jabbing. The first episode was more intense than I'd expected and I'm looking forward to more.

"Amakasu, you take him and I'll take this dumbass."
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

I'm currently watching My Boss My Hero should be funny right? my friend said last 4 episodes pretty depressing
    Last edited by eeyore; 01-21-07 at 09:33 PM.
    Spring Summer Autumn Winter.
    Pair ducks nest fly together.
    Clemencies. Summer life, feather winter white.
    Green meadow in spring, before the autumn bite.
    Watching the red gown.
    And none else, alone.

Currently watching Hana Yori Dango 2 & Densha Otoku. HYD is alright but DO is so funny & stupid!

just finished Attack No.1 . It's ok, the story line is not bad (since it based on manga) , but some of the actresses are just too old to be acting as high school girls . Rated 6/10 . I didn't like Ueto Aya in Attention Please but I like her here .

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Zhuge
    I've started watching Fire Boys. The rivalry between Taka's character Shigo and the main guy Daigo is pretty funny. I like their jabbing. The first episode was more intense than I'd expected and I'm looking forward to more.

"Amakasu, you take him and I'll take this dumbass."

Hi Lady Zhuge, did you buy this? how much was it? is it good?

I finished H2 on the weekend and really like Yamada Takayuki so I am looking for this series. Only managed to get 'Cry out from the center of the world' (Sekai no Chuushin de, Ai wo Sakebu 世界の中心で、愛をさけぶ) and 'song for the sun' (Taiyou no Uta タイヨウのうた).
    "Most men are of naught more use in their lives but as machines for turning food into shit."

-- Miles Vorkosigan quoting his grandfather (Lois McMaster Bujold, "Memory")

Yamada also appear in the dorama called Lunch Queen with Yuko Takeuchi, Satoshi Tsumabuki and YamaP. He's also has a movie recently with Tetsuji Tamayama and Erika Sawajiri. The title is Tegami (The Letter (?)) , but sounds like a family drama type.
    Last edited by eeyore; 01-22-07 at 05:37 PM.
    Spring Summer Autumn Winter.
    Pair ducks nest fly together.
    Clemencies. Summer life, feather winter white.
    Green meadow in spring, before the autumn bite.
    Watching the red gown.
    And none else, alone.

Quote Originally Posted by tinac
    Hi Lady Zhuge, did you buy this? how much was it? is it good?

I finished H2 on the weekend and really like Yamada Takayuki so I am looking for this series. Only managed to get 'Cry out from the center of the world' (Sekai no Chuushin de, Ai wo Sakebu 世界の中心で、愛をさけぶ) and 'song for the sun' (Taiyou no Uta タイヨウのうた).
    I didn't buy it myself, so I don't know how much it costs. I've seen 3 episodes so far and I like it. Daigo can be somewhat annoying though, as he tends to get in as much trouble as he helps others get out of. However, since you're Takayuki's fan, you'll probably like him in the leading role. He's in Waterboys too.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

I finished Seikei Bijin and I didn't quite like the story or the characters very much. I think Honami's folks were the nicest thing about the drama; the message the drama seemed to give was that beauty is ultimately the most important although Honami realises that being beautiful doesn't erase all the troubles and unhappiness from one's life. Not recommended unless you're a fan of any of the cast.

I've just started on Love Story starring Nakayama Miho, Toyokawa Etsushi and Kattori Shingo. It's a romance by the famous screenwriter Eriko Kitagawa who also gave us Long Vacation, Over Time, Beautiful Life. The story revolves around Etsushi's character, Ko, who's a well-known romance novelist suffering in a two-year long writer's block. He can't churn out anything but his publishers are pushing him to write just anything with his name on it because they'd be instant bestsellers. He's sour, quite dour-faced, and a little eccentric having falled on bad times. Into his life comes Miho's character, Misaki, she's an editor with the publisher and a fan of his work but can't seem to say the right things every occasion they meet to discuss his future as a writer. This angers him and gets her fired but he slowly realises that she's the editor for him because she won't let him compromise his work just to get something out in print. I liked the ep1. It was a bit serious but the setting of author and publisher intrigues me, and the cast is good although many people probably wouldn't have heard of Nakayama Miho and Toyokawa Etsushi much despite their being established artistes.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m86/raven_frosts/LoveStory.jpg')

I've started watching Boku dake no Madonna. It's a weird drama and the phrase "what the hell?!" kept running through my mind as I watched the first episode. I'm not sure if I'm actually going to finish the series, but I think I'll at least give it another couple of episodes or so to see if the story goes anywhere worthwhile.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

I've started watching Boku dake no Madonna. It's a weird drama and the phrase "what the hell?!" kept running through my mind as I watched the first episode. I'm not sure if I'm actually going to finish the series, but I think I'll at least give it another couple of episodes or so to see if the story goes anywhere worthwhile.
    Kyoko Hasegawa drama? It's quite trying watching her act in my opinion.

Finished watching Love Story. It was a heartwarming love story although the many entanglements in between threatened to bog it down. The theme song, Haruka by Spitz, is very catchy and addictive.

I'm in the midst of watching Kira Kira Hikaru which is about forensic doctors and the police and how they help solve police cases through the use of forensic science and the friendships they forge. This is seen through the eyes of a newbie played by Fukatsu Eri. It isn't very interesting because the cases are simple and the characters are the usual stereotypes: the naive, tough, and cynical. Think of it as a less sophisticated, riveting version of CSI.

Quote Originally Posted by jade_frosts
    Kyoko Hasegawa drama? It's quite trying watching her act in my opinion.
    Yep, that's right. This is the first series I've seen with Kyoko in it, but I think she's quite cute and sexy although her character is annoying. I pity Kyon while at the same time desire to give him a swift kick in the *** for allowing certain individuals to walk all over him like that.

I'm in the midst of watching Kira Kira Hikaru which is about forensic doctors and the police and how they help solve police cases through the use of forensic science and the friendships they forge. This is seen through the eyes of a newbie played by Fukatsu Eri. It isn't very interesting because the cases are simple and the characters are the usual stereotypes: the naive, tough, and cynical. Think of it as a less sophisticated, riveting version of CSI.
    Too bad this one's a disappointment. I generally love this genre and wish there were more quality series in it.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

i've just finished Satorare. It's about a satorare doctor (Odagiri Joe) , whom didn't know people can read his thoughts. I really enjoyed this one. This drama is funny and romantic at the same time. Odagiri Joe acted his role wonderfully. I'd rate this one 9/10.

Yep, that's right. This is the first series I've seen with Kyoko in it, but I think she's quite cute and sexy although her character is annoying. I pity Kyon while at the same time desire to give him a swift kick in the *** for allowing certain individuals to walk all over him like that.
    Since you're watching Love Revolution, I presume you've given up on Boku Dake no Madonna?

Too bad this one's a disappointment. I generally love this genre and wish there were more quality series in it.
    Hmm, yeah there aren't many good dramas in this genre although a few series do get made each year. Perhaps you can try watching Inspector Mariko, it's about a forensics expert who trained with the FBI and now uses her skills to help the metropolitan police solve crimes. I'm not sure how readily available the drama is. There should be 4 to 5 seasons. For police dramas, Keizoku is still one of the best around. The other being Odoru Daisousasen.

Quote Originally Posted by huongduong
    I've just finished Satorare. It's about a satorare doctor (Odagiri Joe) , whom didn't know people can read his thoughts. I really enjoyed this one. This drama is funny and romantic at the same time. Odagiri Joe acted his role wonderfully. I'd rate this one 9/10.
    I love this one too!

I've just started on Tabloid which focuses on, well yeah, the tabloid world. It stars Tokiwa Takako who is a sharp-tongued newspaper reporter with a major newspaper but demoted to work at a sleazy tabloid after she embarrases a government official at a press club session. There's Tomosaka Rie, Sato Koichi and Kashiwabara Takashi. This sounds like it will be interesting!

Since you're watching Love Revolution, I presume you've given up on Boku Dake no Madonna?
    Actually I haven't given up on that one yet. I'm currently on episode 5.

Hmm, yeah there aren't many good dramas in this genre although a few series do get made each year. Perhaps you can try watching Inspector Mariko, it's about a forensics expert who trained with the FBI and now uses her skills to help the metropolitan police solve crimes. I'm not sure how readily available the drama is. There should be 4 to 5 seasons. For police dramas, Keizoku is still one of the best around. The other being Odoru Daisousasen.
    Thanks for the recommendations. I think those series will be pretty hard to find, though.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

is Tabloid good , Jade-Frosts? Yah, you're right Lady-Zhuge, it's hard to find those kind of dramas. I just finished Konya Hitori no Beddo De . This one is about the love of our hero Aki (who totally is a dumbass), left his wife for a weird woman that his younger brother left at the altar. Man, the relationships in this drama is messing up . The only one that I love is the wife, Yuu. I like the way she treats her husband and the other woman although she knows he betrayed her. I don't want her to be back with Aki though. She's too good for him. Most people don't like the ending, but I think the ending is a good closure. Rated 6/10 . The OST is good

Quote Originally Posted by huongduong
    is Tabloid good , Jade-Frosts? Yah, you're right Lady-Zhuge, it's hard to find those kind of dramas. I just finished Konya Hitori no Beddo De . This one is about the love of our hero Aki (who totally is a dumbass), left his wife for a weird woman that his younger brother left at the altar. Man, the relationships in this drama is messing up . The only one that I love is the wife, Yuu. I like the way she treats her husband and the other woman although she knows he betrayed her. I don't want her to be back with Aki though. She's too good for him. Most people don't like the ending, but I think the ending is a good closure. Rated 6/10 . The OST is good
    Haha. Hmm Motoki almost always acts as a philandering cad. He was also unfaithful to Yuki Amami in Suiyoubi no Jouji. And he was a real meanie in Kimi to Deatte Kara for making Mayu Tsuruta heartbroken so many times. Thanks for the review. I think I'll pass on this one then.

I have just started on Tabloid so I can't comment yet. Will update again soon.

I've finished up Boku dake no Madonna. I guess the overall premise of the story was interesting and the series had its fair share of funny and unexpected/frustrating moments (nonchalant bombs dropped by Surumi), but it was way too draggy for my taste after the first few episodes. 9-10 episodes max would have sufficed. Very catchy OST, though. Overall rating: 6.5/10

Next I'm planning to start on Love & Eros, Itoshi Kimie, or Satorare (since you guys make it sound so enticing ).
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

I am still watching Haikei Chichiue-sama, this is turning out to be a very intriguing series, very character centric and focusing alot of the dynamics among the people. Seems like not too many people are watching it, do try it out, the starting and pace may be a little slow initially but it has been pretty enjoyable so far.

I am up to episode 3 of Kisarazu Cat's Eye, very fun series to watch. Funny in an unconventional way, quirky characters and the antics that they pull are weird and crazy at the samet time. Will be trying to finish it asap, so that I can move on to Tiger & Dragon, written by Kudo Kankuro as well. I think I am going to try out all his dramas that I can get my hands on, IWGP was great, though I'm not done with KCE, I am already liking the show alot. Can't wait to see how his other shows are like.

I was watching Fuurin Kazan yesterday. It was just that after 15 minutes I could feel that my brain cells were leaving their positions one by one and slowly crawled back to the sleeping headquarter so I skimmed right through it. It might have been the cold medicines I was taking nor maybe there was no real eye candies I've seen so far.

I recently finished watching Shukumei, Itoshi Kimi e, and Love & Eros and am halfway through Satorare and Jikou Keisatsu.

Shukumei is a one-episode crime/mystery/suspense drama special starring Naohito Fujiki and Takashi Kashiwabara. I found it pretty interesting, although I did have an inkling about the ending connection just from the opening flashback scenes.

Itoshi Kimi e stars Naohito Fujiki and Miho Kanno and features a predictable, but well-executed storyline about a cameraman destined to go blind in 3 months and a pediatric intern dedicated to staying by his side no matter the obstacles. I very willingly ate this one up. The pacing is on the slow side, but more like stopping to smell the roses than an insidious variety. I really liked Shiki's profound monologues from episode to episode and the touching scenes between various characters, especially those with Shiki and her father. The OST is SO beautiful; it was definitely vital to amplifying every emotional segment of this drama. I especially love the theme song and the subtheme.

Love & Eros is a pretty dark romance drama starring Atsuko Asano, Tomoya Nagase (in a raw, animal-like role), and Fumiya Fujii. It's okay overall, but I found it hard to feel much for the main characters for one reason or another. I thought the ending was kind of a cop-out too.

Satorare has been funny and enjoyable so far. Joe Odagiri's performance is great and I like Mayu Tsuruta as well.

Jikou Keisatsu: Hmm. It's weird in a wannabe-like-Trick kind of way, but is nowhere as endearing. The only character I like in here is Kiriyama (Joe Odagiri). There's one case per episode and those are really hit or miss.

Planning to start soon: Bijo ka Yajuu, Unfair, Le Bel Homme
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")