Page 6 of 43 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: What Japanese Series Are You Watching?

Quote Originally Posted by eeyore View Post
    I finished watching Himitsu no Hanazono last nite, it's only took me 2 nites! That has to do with the story although I don't really like the casting. Osamu is the funniest, I reckon he'll be a good otaku...

the best scene is in Episode 9 when Hinata was crying with Tsukiyama and Osamu together with Satoshi was eavesdropping at the back. I was also crying in these scene, but tears was mixed with laughter once I saw Osamu bawling and hiding his face in Satoshi's chest. The way they make my emotion going rollercoaster was amazing. And Hinata isn't that loveable at the beginning, but when he smile... my my my... he's so kawaiiiiiiii.....

Some people reckon Wataru's acting too stiff, but I think not, cause coming from his character that has to hide secrets for so long from so many people, he's become quite a weirdo ...

What serial is this? Any cast pictures or screen caps pl?

I recently finished watching Ningen Shikaku, Kinki Kids's first TV series. It's very good and meaningful, but extremely twisted and distressing to sit through. I couldn't watch more than one or two episodes at a time until towards the end. It's the best series I'll never watch again. I don't know if anyone else here has seen it, but if so, who do you think
    click to show/hide spoilers
    pushed Nimi Sensei off the train platform at the end?

I'm currently watching M no Higeki, about a woman who's out to ruin a guy's life because he's somehow indirectly responsible for the death of her lover. The storyline is interesting so far, but if that's Misa's motivation for ruining Andou's life, she's nuts and after the wrong person. Things probably aren't that simple, though.

I've also started Long Vacation, which so far seems overrated to me.

Quote Originally Posted by strawberry View Post
    What serial is this? Any cast pictures or screen caps pl?
    http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=19414
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

I happen to have the cast pictures for Himitsu no Hanazono

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/912/syaku06kn7.jpg') - Tsukiyama
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/7329/sakai06ph5.jpg') - Wataru, 1st brother
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/6460/ikeda06zc3.jpg') - Osamu, 2nd brother
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/4463/kaname06rf2.jpg') - Satoshi, 3rd brother
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/994/hongou06dr8.jpg') - Hinata, 4th brother
    Spring Summer Autumn Winter.
    Pair ducks nest fly together.
    Clemencies. Summer life, feather winter white.
    Green meadow in spring, before the autumn bite.
    Watching the red gown.
    And none else, alone.

Talking Hana Yori Dango

i'm currently watching Hana Yori dango II and GTO Live action...

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Zhuge View Post
    I've also started Long Vacation, which so far seems overrated to me.
    ]
    I have caught glimpses of long vacation when it aired a few years back. I have friends who are big fans but I really fail to see why. I don't even know why Takuya's shows are great in the first place.
    Last edited by strawberry; 05-31-07 at 02:18 AM.

I have caught glimpses of long vacation when it aired a few years back. I have friends who are big fans but I really fail to see why. I don't even know why Takuya's shows are great in the first place.
    Well, if you're watching a '96 drama from today's perspective, it is understandable that Long Vacation appears to be overrated to you.

Comparing LV with modern romance dramas, LV's plot may not seem to be as exciting or interesting. However, back then, the plot wasn't the driving force for romance dramas. The audience were more into the characters in the show and the chemistry they had together. People wanted to watch the way they communicate and interact.

This is what makes LV so enjoyable to watch. The undeniable chemistry between Kimura Takuya and Yamaguchi Tomoko. Backed with an excellent cast and very memorable BGM, LV is easily a timeless romance classic for many people back then, especially those who were able to identify themselves with the theme of the show of people being at the crossroads in their lives.

And that brings us to the 'greatness' of Kimura's shows.

He may not be a very technical actor but his charisma, stage presence and particularly, his natural ability to strike a strong chemistry with any of his counterpart, is the charm of his shows. This is why Kimura is able to pull in the ratings, even with a mediocre script. People find it enjoyable and interesting to watch him interact and work with his counterparts.

I used to think that Kimura is overrated as well, until I've watched all his dramas and slowly discovered his strengths and appeal.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

To stay on topic, I'm currently watching Tiger and Dragon. A really creative and witty drama.

Currently watching Erika Toda's Liar Game & Aya Ueto's Hotelier...

Quote Originally Posted by floydian View Post
    Well, if you're watching a '96 drama from today's perspective, it is understandable that Long Vacation appears to be overrated to you.
    The thing is, LV doesn't seem like a drama from 10+ years ago. I would have assumed it was made not long ago had I not known better. Personally I'm not comparing it to more modern dramas, but just assessing based on my own enjoyment level of the show. It did cross my mind that perhaps watching it before similar "classics" such as Love Generation or Tokyo Love Story might give it an advantage in terms of making an impression, but so far after one episode, it's just okay. Hopefully it'll get better.

I'm also currently watching Investigator Mariko seasons 1-4. Season 1 is actually my least favorite in terms of the cases 'cause I found them to be the most predictable, but I'd even rate that 8/10. Forensic shows rule! I like how the evidence is used to nail the culprits. Most of the cases are interesting and have a twist or two and gives the audience something to think about, although after awhile you get the hang of figuring out who the guilty party is quite easily. But to think this was made before Crime Scene Investigation! Captain Koba kind of reminds me of Grissom in terms of his demeanor.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Quote Originally Posted by floydian View Post

Comparing LV with modern romance dramas, LV's plot may not seem to be as exciting or interesting. However, back then, the plot wasn't the driving force for romance dramas. The audience were more into the characters in the show and the chemistry they had together. People wanted to watch the way they communicate and interact.

This is what makes LV so enjoyable to watch. The undeniable chemistry between Kimura Takuya and Yamaguchi Tomoko. Backed with an excellent cast and very memorable BGM, LV is easily a timeless romance classic for many people back then, especially those who were able to identify themselves with the theme of the show of people being at the crossroads in their lives.

And that brings us to the 'greatness' of Kimura's shows.

He may not be a very technical actor but his charisma, stage presence and particularly, his natural ability to strike a strong chemistry with any of his counterpart, is the charm of his shows. This is why Kimura is able to pull in the ratings, even with a mediocre script. People find it enjoyable and interesting to watch him interact and work with his counterparts.

I used to think that Kimura is overrated as well, until I've watched all his dramas and slowly discovered his strengths and appeal.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

To stay on topic, I'm currently watching Tiger and Dragon. A really creative and witty drama.
    Actually, I saw the show when it was very popular so it can't have been that far from when the show was shown in Japan and I still didn't like it very much. could be a matter of personal taste. I totally didn't get the chemistry bet the 2 leads but I remember that it was a younger guy and older woman love story?

but thanks very much for your post, it gave me a different perspective to Kimura.

The thing is, LV doesn't seem like a drama from 10+ years ago. I would have assumed it was made not long ago had I not known better. Personally I'm not comparing it to more modern dramas, but just assessing based on my own enjoyment level of the show. It did cross my mind that perhaps watching it before similar "classics" such as Love Generation or Tokyo Love Story might give it an advantage in terms of making an impression, but so far after one episode, it's just okay. Hopefully it'll get better.
    Yup, do watch a couple more episodes. Minami's random english is pretty hilarious. Even if you don't plan on watching this till the end, do at least watch episode 9 for that touching and memorable scene and of course, the last episode for the ending.

Actually, I saw the show when it was very popular so it can't have been that far from when the show was shown in Japan and I still didn't like it very much. could be a matter of personal taste. I totally didn't get the chemistry bet the 2 leads but I remember that it was a younger guy and older woman love story?

but thanks very much for your post, it gave me a different perspective to Kimura.
    Yeah, ultimately it does very much boils down to personal preference though I feel that LV appeals more to a mature audience. Personally, the chemistry between the leads in LV is one of the most memorable in the jdoramas I've watched, along with other Kimura pairings in Long Generation, Hero and Beautiful Life.

Does anyone know where one can watch nino's Ao no honoo from? with e-subs pl...

are there any wacky japanese game shows with english or chinese subs on nowadays?

I've started Toshiie and Matsu, my first epic taiga drama. It's really good so far and I love Karasawa Toshiaki as Toshiie. He is dramatic, humorous, and adorable! I'm also attempting to continue Love Complex, but so far it hasn't been my cup of tea. It's interesting seeing Karasawa and Sorimachi Takashi star together in two completely different series and roles, though.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

I've started Toshiie and Matsu, my first epic taiga drama. It's really good so far and I love Karasawa Toshiaki as Toshiie. He is dramatic, humorous, and adorable! I'm also attempting to continue Love Complex, but so far it hasn't been my cup of tea. It's interesting seeing Karasawa and Sorimachi Takashi star together in two completely different series and roles, though.
    *hi-5*.. im watching toshiie and matsu too!
    Love complex is funny!!! karasawa's acting is jus bravo in love complex as he is funny in tis drama.. hahaas!!! But the story and the title does not have ANY RELATIONSHIP.. so tink out of the box.. hahahas!!

lady zhuge, u may wanna watch "kobayakawa nobuki no koi".. or mayb u have watched it b4 bah.. XD
    Last edited by biggirl20; 06-05-07 at 06:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by biggirl20 View Post
    *hi-5*.. im watching toshiie and matsu too!
    Love complex is funny!!! karasawa's acting is jus bravo in love complex as he is funny in tis drama.. hahaas!!! But the story and the title does not have ANY RELATIONSHIP.. so tink out of the box.. hahahas!!

lady zhuge, u may wanna watch "kobayakawa nobuki no koi".. or mayb u have watched it b4 bah.. XD
    How far are you in Toshiie and Matsu? I'm about to start episode 5. I wonder why every taiga drama has 49 episodes?

I think Karasawa is funny in Love Complex, but the actual series reminds me of some Quentin Tarantino movie. That might be a good thing for most people, but personally I've never understood the popularity of films like Pulp Fiction. I don't mind thinking outside the box...(but what's to say it's even a box?)...

I haven't seen Kobayakawa Nobuki no Koi, but it's on my "to see" list. What did you think of it?
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

How far are you in Toshiie and Matsu? I'm about to start episode 5. I wonder why every taiga drama has 49 episodes?

I think Karasawa is funny in Love Complex, but the actual series reminds me of some Quentin Tarantino movie. That might be a good thing for most people, but personally I've never understood the popularity of films like Pulp Fiction. I don't mind thinking outside the box...(but what's to say it's even a box?)...

I haven't seen Kobayakawa Nobuki no Koi, but it's on my "to see" list. What did you think of it?
    taiga drama has 49 epds is becoz its for the whole yr.. therefore the taiga drama (which always on NHK) need to be 49 epds to be enuff for almost everyweek of a yr.. =D I watched until epd 12 or 13.. but i stopped for quite a long time becoz of my examinations.. now its over but i havent resume myself from watching the drama yet.. ahhaas!!!

"Kobayakawa" i can say tat karasawa's image in tis drama is cute.. hahaas! but i tink the scriptwriter didnt do a really good job.. so dun expect much.. but i bought the vcd due to karasawa's cute-ness.. LOL
    PS: "kobayakawa" going to be shown in my country's cable tv channel!! YEAH!!!

Quote Originally Posted by biggirl20 View Post
    taiga drama has 49 epds is becoz its for the whole yr.. therefore the taiga drama (which always on NHK) need to be 49 epds to be enuff for almost everyweek of a yr.. =D I watched until epd 12 or 13.. but i stopped for quite a long time becoz of my examinations.. now its over but i havent resume myself from watching the drama yet.. ahhaas!!!

"Kobayakawa" i can say tat karasawa's image in tis drama is cute.. hahaas! but i tink the scriptwriter didnt do a really good job.. so dun expect much.. but i bought the vcd due to karasawa's cute-ness.. LOL
    PS: "kobayakawa" going to be shown in my country's cable tv channel!! YEAH!!!
    I know taiga dramas run the whole year and are therefore much longer than typical Japanese series, but was just wondering if there's anything significant about the number "49." I mean, why not 48, 50, 51, etc. total episodes for some of them, you know?

I read some reviews for Kobayakawa Nobuki no Koi and most people seem to be of the opinion that it's mediocre, which is kind of disappointing given the cast.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

I know taiga dramas run the whole year and are therefore much longer than typical Japanese series, but was just wondering if there's anything significant about the number "49." I mean, why not 48, 50, 51, etc. total episodes for some of them, you know?

I read some reviews for Kobayakawa Nobuki no Koi and most people seem to be of the opinion that it's mediocre, which is kind of disappointing given the cast.
    i tink is becoz tat the weeks for all 4 seasons are 49 weeks.. so the epd number is keep at 49..

yup.. its very disappointing!!! the cast is good.. but the story jus too bad.. But from the beginning till the middle part, its okay for me.. the worst part is from the middle onwards.. And towards the end.. the story seems to drag while the story in front is at much a faster pace than the story behind.

Hajimemashite...... my first post in this thread.

Currently watching:
    Proposal Daisakusen --> awesome!! my fave this season
    Liars Game
    Bambino
    Hotelier --> just because it's originated from Hotelier Korean

Recently
    Kurosagi
    Bushi no Ichibun (movie)

Anticipating:
    Hanakimi & Hero movie (Takuyaaaaaa.....!!!)

I think i am going to start watching Haikei, Chichiue-sama soon. It seems like a totally sweet drama or rather nino's Ippei seems totally sweet plus I am looking forward to the bonding scenes bet him and Yoko.