Thread: For PJ, CC (and/or anybody): does SWORD GOD Zhuo Bufan appear in DGSD '81?

Default For PJ, CC (and/or anybody): does SWORD GOD Zhuo Bufan appear in DGSD '81?

Guys:

Tomorrow, I'm going to begin watching TVB's DEMIGODS & SEMIDEVILS for the first time in nearly twenty years. I was just a kid the last time I watched DGSD in full, and there are many details I've either forgotten or just didn't pay attention to back then.

I don't remember SWORD GOD Zhuo Bufan appearing in this adaptation, but maybe he does. I'm going to be looking out for him. Where does he make his first appearance?

He does not make an appearance in the 81' version.

He does make an appearance in the newest china version tho

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    Guys:

Tomorrow, I'm going to begin watching TVB's DEMIGODS & SEMIDEVILS for the first time in nearly twenty years. I was just a kid the last time I watched DGSD in full, and there are many details I've either forgotten or just didn't pay attention to back then.

I don't remember SWORD GOD Zhuo Bufan appearing in this adaptation, but maybe he does. I'm going to be looking out for him. Where does he make his first appearance?
    Are you watching Leung Ka Yan's version? In this version, there are some parts that TVB changed. Eg. Sweeper doesn't seem as invincible as he should be.

IIRC, SWORD GOD does not appear. I watched it over 10 years ago though.

Its only in the latest China adaptation (with Jimmy Lin as Duan Yu) where SWORD GOD gets some proper airtime.

Have fun with the 80s CG laserbeams! Haha!
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

If you have the 30-disc set of DGSD 1981, The bits pertaining to the 36 Caves/72 Islands is on disc #22. There you can see the classic sequence when a guy charges at Wang Yuyan, Duan Yu dashes to rescue and gets injured, thinks he is going to die... and then Xuzhu says "actually your injury is really minor." In the novel it is SWORD GOD Zhuo Bufan who injures Duan Yu, but in the series it is just some random guy.

Now, in DGSD 2003, although SWORD GOD Zhuo Bufan makes an appearance, his character is by no means done justice. Firstly, the series merged his character with that of Taoist Buping, who is another underrated lovable character in every right. Secondly, in the novel, although SWORD GOD proved inferior to Xuzhu, he was never "defeated" in the butt-whupping manner. In the series they had the nerve to present SWORD GOD falling down the stairs with messy hair. This is an outrage and one must note that SWORD GOD maintained much more class and flair throughout the novel.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by PJ

Now, in DGSD 2003, although SWORD GOD Zhuo Bufan makes an appearance, his character is by no means done justice. Firstly, the series merged his character with that of Taoist Buping, who is another underrated lovable character in every right. Secondly, in the novel, although SWORD GOD proved inferior to Xuzhu, he was never "defeated" in the butt-whupping manner. In the series they had the nerve to present SWORD GOD falling down the stairs with messy hair. This is an outrage and one must note that SWORD GOD maintained much more class and flair throughout the novel.
    In the novel, SWORD GOD actually managed to hit Xu Zhu with his blade too. The show didn't show that.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!