Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Malaysian singers

Quote Originally Posted by big master
    imo, jay is realy cool n not just acts cool but i agree w the others like jolin n cyndi
    to me play cool or not is irrelevant because in the end, u need real talent to survive, which pretty much explains how Jay manage to last for so long consistently as well, he never fails to win award each year, and there is at least one breakthrough song in each of his album (i think anyway).. his composing abilities is just SUPERB.. and u can see clearly how he rise to the top because he puts out a new album each year, unlike other composer singers (ie david tao and lee hom) where there's a rather big gap in between each album..

with jolin and cyndi, jolin imo is sort of OK, cause afterall she's like the taiwanese greatest diva atm.. i like some of her old songs, but i do grew out of them pretty quickly i have to say..

as with cyndi, her songs are just almost the same style everytime.. dun like her personality too..
    力扬力扬,魅力飞扬
    祝力扬 & 栗亲们新年快乐, 万事如意!!~
    力扬加油, 栗子加油,加油,加油!!!!^o^

YAY, Federer WON!!!!~

Quote Originally Posted by ChestNut
    to me play cool or not is irrelevant because in the end, u need real talent to survive, which pretty much explains how Jay manage to last for so long consistently as well, he never fails to win award each year, and there is at least one breakthrough song in each of his album (i think anyway).. his composing abilities is just SUPERB.. and u can see clearly how he rise to the top because he puts out a new album each year, unlike other composer singers (ie david tao and lee hom) where there's a rather big gap in between each album..

with jolin and cyndi, jolin imo is sort of OK, cause afterall she's like the taiwanese greatest diva atm.. i like some of her old songs, but i do grew out of them pretty quickly i have to say..

as with cyndi, her songs are just almost the same style everytime.. dun like her personality too..

chestnut! if u saw cyndi's performance in the chao ji's thank u concert (did u see it) , ul be disliking her even more!!!!

i like Penny tai. she's got talent...i'm not sure bout her fan base whether they're huge or not, but i like the fact that she write/composes her songs. as for the others, yea they're fine but i'm not so into chinese entertainment.

it's kinda sad the fact that they have to like sorta go over to Taiwan to make it big there.

Quote Originally Posted by avanpiper
    it's kinda sad the fact that they have to like sorta go over to Taiwan to make it big there.
    if it is not a political thingy then at least the mentality stuff.... everything produced locally is not good enough... only when recognized and acclaimed internationally, then only will make a front page national news.

Quote Originally Posted by sheraldine
    if it is not a political thingy then at least the mentality stuff.... everything produced locally is not good enough... only when recognized and acclaimed internationally, then only will make a front page national news.
    i suppose it's mostly the mentality here then. but since they get really famous internationally when they go over, i dont mind really come to think of it...at least their work gets recognised. the videos made locally is uh...definitely not as good though. they really need to learn from countries like japan, taiwan. i think the BIG problem other than talents in video making is budget...
    Last edited by avanpiper; 02-07-07 at 06:06 AM.

i suppose it's mostly the mentality here then. but since they get really famous internationally when they go over, i dont mind really come to think of it...at least their work gets recognised. the videos made locally is uh...definitely not as good though. they really need to learn from countries like japan, taiwan. i think the BIG problem other than talents in video making is budget...
    I dunno if Nic Teo's 'Fu Chu' was made locally, I thought so, might not be, but definitely not Taiwan as I remembered, might be S'pore, but I really liked it, both the song and the MV, i think it's better than most HK popidol MV's nowadays..
    力扬力扬,魅力飞扬
    祝力扬 & 栗亲们新年快乐, 万事如意!!~
    力扬加油, 栗子加油,加油,加油!!!!^o^

YAY, Federer WON!!!!~

i suppose it's mostly the mentality here then. but since they get really famous internationally when they go over, i dont mind really come to think of it...at least their work gets recognised. the videos made locally is uh...definitely not as good though. they really need to learn from countries like japan, taiwan.
    japan and taiwan have good sponsors, plus they know what is talent and how to promote it.... here we have..... well, you know and i know and yes, i am happy for them to find fame elsewhere. they worked hard and they deserved it.

It used to be not that bad. But seems like after HVD closed down, music industry also went downhill. During HVD time, u can also see music videos of local singers on TV. I still remember one guy called Zhang Yu or something that sing the song 'blue'. Michael & Victor (Guang Liang Ping Guan) also got popular locally first before going overseas. Same with Eric Moo. And there is a sister group called 'Feng Chai Sisters'.

But now, singers need to go overseas first.

Anyway, one of the judges of Superstar (the one who got voted most popular judge) just released his album not long ago. So, Malaysians who want to support local products can go get it.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Quote Originally Posted by kidd
    It used to be not that bad. But seems like after HVD closed down, music industry also went downhill. During HVD time, u can also see music videos of local singers on TV.
    very true indeed...i dont see much local media support...

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    It used to be not that bad. But seems like after HVD closed down, music industry also went downhill. During HVD time, u can also see music videos of local singers on TV. I still remember one guy called Zhang Yu or something that sing the song 'blue'. Michael & Victor (Guang Liang Ping Guan) also got popular locally first before going overseas. Same with Eric Moo. And there is a sister group called 'Feng Chai Sisters'.

But now, singers need to go overseas first.

Anyway, one of the judges of Superstar (the one who got voted most popular judge) just released his album not long ago. So, Malaysians who want to support local products can go get it.
    actually to me, I don't mind if it's not produced locally.. as long as they're malaysians and it's good, then why not? they're just as good as other singers.. maybe better sometimes..

zhang dong liang has new album.. the songs are really nice, strongly recommended..
    力扬力扬,魅力飞扬
    祝力扬 & 栗亲们新年快乐, 万事如意!!~
    力扬加油, 栗子加油,加油,加油!!!!^o^

YAY, Federer WON!!!!~

Quote Originally Posted by ChestNut View Post
    actually to me, I don't mind if it's not produced locally.. as long as they're malaysians and it's good, then why not? they're just as good as other singers.. maybe better sometimes..

zhang dong liang has new album.. the songs are really nice, strongly recommended..
    When did I say I mind that albums are not produced locally?

I just said the local chinese entertainment industry used to be not that bad and albums produced locally still has an outlet to reach the audience. You can see their MTV and stuff on local TV and local singers actually came make it locally first before going overseas. But later on, the chinese local intertainment industry was so bad that singers has to make it overseas first before they can make it back home.

That's what I mean.

I'm not so anal as to insist albums from Malaysians must be produced locally.

I'm just sad about the slump malaysia chinese entertainment industry was going through in the last decade. It's only recently that it's reviving. I really like the efford made my the Superstar group. It doesn't just hold a singinf competition and then leave the singers to fend for themselves after the competition. They actually follow up with idol series and such so that the contestants are not forgotten.

Btw, you can check out the 1/2 hour episodes idol series that was air every Sunday 7.30-8pm. I was unable to follow the series since my 8tv reception these days is really bad. But to those who can, check it out. I just bought the series soundtrack. http://www.8tv.com.my/sky/index.asp
    Last edited by kidd; 07-11-07 at 02:29 AM.

When did I say I mind that albums are not produced locally?

I just said the local chinese entertainment industry used to be not that bad and albums produced locally still has an outlet to reach the audience. You can see their MTV and stuff on local TV and local singers actually came make it locally first before going overseas. But later on, the chinese local intertainment industry was so bad that singers has to make it overseas first before they can make it back home.

That's what I mean.

I'm not so anal as to insist albums from Malaysians must be produced locally.

I'm just sad about the slump malaysia chinese entertainment industry was going through in the last decade. It's only recently that it's reviving. I really like the efford made my the Superstar group. It doesn't just hold a singinf competition and then leave the singers to fend for themselves after the competition. They actually follow up with idol series and such so that the contestants are not forgotten.

Btw, you can check out the 1/2 hour episodes idol series that was air every Sunday 7.30-8pm. I was unable to follow the series since my 8tv reception these days is really bad. But to those who can, check it out. I just bought the series soundtrack. http://www.8tv.com.my/sky/index.asp
    i don't mean it that way.. haha i wans't going to say u mind.. lolx.. i was just saying i dun mind.. actually i think locally produced are not as good usually due to lack of resources.. i'm no currently in m'sia so can't watch it.. but have to say, i was never a fan of malaysian singing comp except maybe the astro talent quest one..
    力扬力扬,魅力飞扬
    祝力扬 & 栗亲们新年快乐, 万事如意!!~
    力扬加油, 栗子加油,加油,加油!!!!^o^

YAY, Federer WON!!!!~

Why are Victor Wong and Jasmine Leung together so much nowadays? They duet for several songs and go to variety shows together. Have they formed a duo singing group?

Why are Victor Wong and Jasmine Leung together so much nowadays? They duet for several songs and go to variety shows together. Have they formed a duo singing group?
    I thought they've always showed up together a lot at functions and variety shows? Didn't they only sing two songs together so far, Ming Ming Hen Ai Ni and Way Back Into Love (maybe three songs counting the Mandarin version of Way Back Into Love)? Have they sang more songs together?

Quote Originally Posted by avanpiper View Post
    You should be happy and proud of these talented musicians. Going to Taiwan to make Chinese music is like going to Hollywood to make movies. Taiwan is the biggest Chinese music market in the world. If they release their album in Taiwan, more people will hear their music.

Because they are foreigners in Taiwan, they have to be better--cream of the crops--than most Taiwanese musicians. Otherwise, why would Taiwanese record companies sign and spend money to promote them, instead signing the locals?

Malaysian or Singaporean?
    Penny Tai vs Tanya Chua
    Fish vs Sun Yan-Zi
    Gary Chaw vs JJ Lin
    Guang Leung vs Ah-Du 阿杜

Cool

Fish and Pin Guan? I recall they made a MV together, Fish said something like "I am Liang Jing Ru, I like the guy in white who is a Pisces" or something in the beginning about Pin Guan. in the MV, she was a cashier in a restaurant and Pin Guan was the waiter... dont exactly remember much.

Fish also filmed a MV with Guang Liang (Michael Wong is his english name, I think). Anyway, both of them have their own independent "Yong Qi" songs, just as Jay and Jolin sang "Dao Dai" independently.

I personally like some Malaysian and Singaporean singers than Taiwanese. For example, when I watched "Sonria Pasta", I liked Nic's songs more than Cyndi's (I feel her songs are like more girly girly themed), I like Nic's voice too, very natural compared to Cyndi.

Heard JJ and JS (Jun Jie and Jin Sha) have fans all the way in China. And watched JJ World Tour DVD. JJ also made it to Hana Kimi as a guest, didnt he?

Didn't know Penny was Malaysian from Johore, liked some of her songs. I just knew she was invited to Brunei once and took photos in the papers with royales.

Anyway, be it Singaporean or Malaysian, wish them good luck always and keep it up!
    not watching anything specific at the moment.

Visit my blog
    Visit June's blog

Love Chen Qiao En, June Tsai, Chen Jingxuan, Eelyn Kok, Shu Chang, and many others

I think Yin (符瓊音) is good. Hope she can release her own album one day.

Check out her singing
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=na43pyxWGWM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgDhfz5iojI
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XP8uKHV_48c

I think Yin (符瓊音) is good. Hope she can release her own album one day.

Check out her singing
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=na43pyxWGWM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgDhfz5iojI
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XP8uKHV_48c
    I remember her from Malaysian idol. I got chills when she rendered Broken Vow. But she didn't make it to the final 12. She is one of the "sut lik phai" singers.

The best of them:

Range:
    Gary Cao/Chaw
    Chang Z Chen
    Mindy Quah
    Eric Moo

Tone:
    Fish Leong
    Nicholas Teo
    Mindy Quah

Singer/Songwriter skills
    Guang Liang
    Penny Tai
    Gary Cao

Non-Chinese:
    Siti Nurhaliza
    Sheila Majid
    Noryn Aziz
    Jaclyn Victor
    Ning Baizura
    Anuar Zain

U forgot one name which is Ziana zain. She got the most powerful vocal not even in Malaysia but oso in Asia. She has been voted for top ten in the best singer in Asia by famous website. She can hit the highest note that no ther can achieve in Malaysia. She has been crown as the Queen of high note by GLAM Magazine. she can reach f4 smoothly.