+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 50

Thread: Malaysian singers

  1. #1
    Senior Member crimson18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    bsb brunei
    Posts
    351

    Default Malaysian singers

    Recently Malaysian singers such as Guang Liang, Fish Leong, and Nicholas Teo (Zhang Dongliang) have made it to the limelight. Is their singing competent with Taiwanese singers such as Jay Chow Jie Lun??

    Asking for opinions
    CrimsYu SukiYo 川島 すき依 ..

    CrimsYu

    AND that's me!!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...titled-1-1.jpg

  2. #2
    Senior Member ChestNut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,784

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crimson18
    Recently Malaysian singers such as Guang Liang, Fish Leong, and Nicholas Teo (Zhang Dongliang) have made it to the limelight. Is their singing competent with Taiwanese singers such as Jay Chow Jie Lun??

    Asking for opinions
    being a malaysian, of course i'll support them all the way.. haha, but then i do find them competent enough because I don't think any malaysian singers who make it big are counted really as 'idol singers'.. When u say Taiwanese singers, i assume all, hence, this not only meant Jay, but also many others like Farenhiet, F4, 183club, energy, cyndi wang, which are 'idol singers'.. though i haven't hear all of them performing live, I doubt they can sing as well as Fish Leong (Liang jing ru) or even Zhang Dong Liang..
    力扬力扬,魅力飞扬
    祝力扬 & 栗亲们新年快乐, 万事如意!!~
    力扬加油, 栗子加油,加油,加油!!!!^o^

    YAY, Federer WON!!!!~

  3. #3
    Senior Member big master's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    in my house:)
    Posts
    3,242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crimson18
    Recently Malaysian singers such as Guang Liang, Fish Leong, and Nicholas Teo (Zhang Dongliang) have made it to the limelight. Is their singing competent with Taiwanese singers such as Jay Chow Jie Lun??

    Asking for opinions
    guang liang is malaysian? he s so good! he is the one who was once a duo with ping guan ryt? the one who sang a song with richie ren way back in 2000?

  4. #4
    Senior Member ChestNut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,784

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by big master
    guang liang is malaysian? he s so good! he is the one who was once a duo with ping guan ryt? the one who sang a song with richie ren way back in 2000?
    yeah, their group was called guang liang ping guan or some ppl know it as wu yin liang ping (sounds weird...) ..
    力扬力扬,魅力飞扬
    祝力扬 & 栗亲们新年快乐, 万事如意!!~
    力扬加油, 栗子加油,加油,加油!!!!^o^

    YAY, Federer WON!!!!~

  5. #5
    Senior Member kidd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Somewhere Out There
    Posts
    13,073

    Default

    The 2R sisters are also Malaysians but moved to Singapore at an early age and grew up there.

    Another quite famous (in overseas) Malaysian singer in the 90's is Eric Moo. He has filmed a few HK movies too.

    I agree with Chestnut. Most Malaysia singers who make it big can actually sing. I think it is because chinese entertainment industry in Malaysia is not as blooming and big scale as in HK and Taiwan. So, less manufactured band and idol singers. With little promotion and stuff, if u r not good, how to survive? But I think with the emergence of shows like Malaysia idol and Superstar where sms votes determine the winner, the situation of might change.
    Last edited by kidd; 01-17-07 at 01:14 PM.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

    和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

  6. #6
    Senior Member ChestNut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,784

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kidd
    Th 2R sisters are also Malaysians but moved to Singapore at an early ages and grew up there.

    Another quite famous (in overseas) Malaysian singer in the 90's is Eric Moo. He has filmed a few HK movies too.

    I agree with Chestnut. Most Malaysia singers who make it big can actually sing. I think it is because chinese entertainment industry in Malaysia is not as blooming and big scale as in HK and Taiwan. So, less manufactured band and idol singers. With little promotion and stuff, if u r not good, how to survive? But I think with the emergence of shows like Malaysia idol and Superstar where sms votes determine the winner, the situation of might change.
    LOL. i heard guy sebastian has malaysian roots as well.

    Anyway, yeah quite true, but then again, those shows weren't really that popular and even if there are idol singers, they might survive in malaysia sicne the public are the ones who voted for them, but then I don't think they will be able to compare against the idol singers from taiwan.. fat chance.. even the most idol-like one i can think of, Zhang Dong Liang, he can actually sing live very well.. so the most important thing, u must either be able to sing well, or great composing/lyric writing skills like Gary Cao.. who is also a malaysian in case any of u are wondering..
    力扬力扬,魅力飞扬
    祝力扬 & 栗亲们新年快乐, 万事如意!!~
    力扬加油, 栗子加油,加油,加油!!!!^o^

    YAY, Federer WON!!!!~

  7. #7
    Senior Member kidd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Somewhere Out There
    Posts
    13,073

    Default

    More Malaysia singers:

    Penny Tai Pei Ni - She's a Johorean.
    Ah Niu (Chen Qingxiang) - he's the composer of the song 'Dui Mian De Nu Hai Kan Guo Lai' which was also sung by Richie Ren. I think it's this song that made him famous.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

    和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

  8. #8
    Senior Member kidd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Somewhere Out There
    Posts
    13,073

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChestNut
    LOL. i heard guy sebastian has malaysian roots as well.

    Anyway, yeah quite true, but then again, those shows weren't really that popular and even if there are idol singers, they might survive in malaysia sicne the public are the ones who voted for them, but then I don't think they will be able to compare against the idol singers from taiwan.. fat chance.. even the most idol-like one i can think of, Zhang Dong Liang, he can actually sing live very well.. so the most important thing, u must either be able to sing well, or great composing/lyric writing skills like Gary Cao.. who is also a malaysian in case any of u are wondering..
    I wonder why only Zhang Dong Liang got famous, while other winners of Astro New Talent Contest singing career remain so so. In fact, many winners didn't even have and album of their own. Even Andrew Tan Say Aun, who won the Chinese International New Talent Singing in year 2006 hasn't got an album yet.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

    和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

  9. #9
    Senior Member redfirefly124's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,021

    Default

    I quite like Fish Leong...didn't know she was Malaysian though....she has quite a nice voice.
    hu ge, yang mi, yuan hong, liu shishi.
    wang luodan, li guangjie.

  10. #10
    Senior Member big master's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    in my house:)
    Posts
    3,242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kidd
    More Malaysia singers:

    Penny Tai Pei Ni - She's a Johorean.
    Ah Niu (Chen Qingxiang) - he's the composer of the song 'Dui Mian De Nu Hai Kan Guo Lai' which was also sung by Richie Ren. I think it's this song that made him famous.
    ah niu is malaysian too? wow! i dint know that!!! i like him as well, just like guang liang i like them as a trio w richie ren very comical...n good too

  11. #11
    Senior Member big master's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    in my house:)
    Posts
    3,242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChestNut
    yeah, their group was called guang liang ping guan or some ppl know it as wu yin liang ping (sounds weird...) ..
    wow! i like songs of guang liang n ping guan different...really wholesome...to bad they got disbanded...that farewell concert was heartbreaking...

  12. #12
    Senior Member kidd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Somewhere Out There
    Posts
    13,073

    Default

    Just look up info on Ah Niu.

    Surprise that he was born on 31 August. Wah, the whole country celebrate birthday with him.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

    和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

  13. #13
    Senior Member kidd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Somewhere Out There
    Posts
    13,073

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by big master
    wow! i like songs of guang liang n ping guan different...really wholesome...to bad they got disbanded...that farewell concert was heartbreaking...
    Ping Guan is also still active in the music industry. So, u can still listen to both of them.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

    和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    624

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kidd
    I agree with Chestnut. Most Malaysia singers who make it big can actually sing.
    That's for sure. Their voices are remarkable (ermm, actually I find this quite an understatement), a pity I couldn't say the same about their songs. I am not so impressed with the songs produced in Malaysia; they tend to become easily bored with after a while. Perhaps that's just me.

  15. #15
    Senior Member ChestNut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,784

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kidd
    I wonder why only Zhang Dong Liang got famous, while other winners of Astro New Talent Contest singing career remain so so. In fact, many winners didn't even have and album of their own. Even Andrew Tan Say Aun, who won the Chinese International New Talent Singing in year 2006 hasn't got an album yet.
    COs he's good?? hahahha I actually really like his songs, find them rather 'taiwanese' .. maybe because he's the company's hope so they put him on everything and eventually he became famous.. hahaha.. he's company is famous for anonymous singers (ie singing behind cartoon animations etc, such as ou de yang).. But to my surprise, the company's based in S'pore.. I tot it's going to be Taiwan.. anyway, Zhang Dong Liang's actually real lucky i think, cos he started off pretty well, as he re-popularise the 'Huang Hun' song in M'sia (and sang it so many times I feel sick listening to that)... and while he's still popular, the company quickly grab the chance to release his version.. and together with it other songs, hence he actually has lots of opportunities.. Quite like him, especially after watching Wei Xiao Pasta ( i believe he's the first Msia actor ever screened on Taiwanese Idol drama? As a lead character as well.. ) But too bad he smokes.. hmm, deducted some impression marks.. haha..

    Andrew Tan on the other hand, really, I don't find him that great. I reckon he's not as good as Nic, during the competition in HK, omg, what's with his emotions man? He does SHOW emotions, except maybe not during the right timing?? I'm surprised he made it to the final round and even win it.. His singing skills is just so-so.. hope he'll improve.. of course he doesn't have an album, he doesn't even have a secure fan base, which company will take such risk? It's not like Malaysian Idol whr u noe, at least part of the public will buy the albums since they forked out money to vote..
    力扬力扬,魅力飞扬
    祝力扬 & 栗亲们新年快乐, 万事如意!!~
    力扬加油, 栗子加油,加油,加油!!!!^o^

    YAY, Federer WON!!!!~

  16. #16
    Senior Member big master's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    in my house:)
    Posts
    3,242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kidd
    Ping Guan is also still active in the music industry. So, u can still listen to both of them.
    yea but to me, their songs as a duo sounds better than the solo ones...although some of their songs before were also solo's...but their voices blend real well....

  17. #17
    Senior Member ChestNut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,784

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by big master
    yea but to me, their songs as a duo sounds better than the solo ones...although some of their songs before were also solo's...but their voices blend real well....
    quite true.. though they still have pretty good songs after they part ways.. when they were together, I reckon they were the best boy band around!!
    力扬力扬,魅力飞扬
    祝力扬 & 栗亲们新年快乐, 万事如意!!~
    力扬加油, 栗子加油,加油,加油!!!!^o^

    YAY, Federer WON!!!!~

  18. #18
    Senior Member big master's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    in my house:)
    Posts
    3,242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChestNut
    quite true.. though they still have pretty good songs after they part ways.. when they were together, I reckon they were the best boy band around!!
    have to agree with u on that one...they were best at singing those types of songs together...some of their greatest hits were : yu guo tian qing, shen bien, dan lien, you ni zhay shen pang and a whole lot more

  19. #19
    Senior Member crimson18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    bsb brunei
    Posts
    351

    Default

    i still think its the "voice factor"..they have a good voice compared to other TW actors/actresses in the singing industry who just play it cool (Jay), cute (Jolin/Cyndi) etc. I dun reali enjoy sum of their songs.for e.g. Jay's yi fu zhi min sound kinda weird, not all jolin songs r nice plus i dun like some of her "erotic" dances, and some Cyndi songs r childish, not to mention she looks younger than 18. Yuki Hsu, on the other hand, often has songs depicting she has a senorita-ish attitude. I don know why Yuki's songs generally give me a headache. It's not that I dislike them, tho. Maybe its the beat...
    CrimsYu SukiYo 川島 すき依 ..

    CrimsYu

    AND that's me!!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...titled-1-1.jpg

  20. #20
    Senior Member big master's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    in my house:)
    Posts
    3,242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crimson18
    i still think its the "voice factor"..they have a good voice compared to other TW actors/actresses in the singing industry who just play it cool (Jay), cute (Jolin/Cyndi) etc. I dun reali enjoy sum of their songs.for e.g. Jay's yi fu zhi min sound kinda weird, not all jolin songs r nice plus i dun like some of her "erotic" dances, and some Cyndi songs r childish, not to mention she looks younger than 18. Yuki Hsu, on the other hand, often has songs depicting she has a senorita-ish attitude. I don know why Yuki's songs generally give me a headache. It's not that I dislike them, tho. Maybe its the beat...
    imo, jay is realy cool n not just acts cool but i agree w the others like jolin n cyndi

Similar Threads

  1. Malaysian Chinese Series
    By kidd in forum Global Series Discussion
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 06-28-11, 08:49 PM
  2. Replies: 32
    Last Post: 12-31-07, 03:56 PM
  3. looking for malaysian students
    By junzi in forum Academia
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-29-07, 12:59 AM
  4. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-13-07, 03:00 AM
  5. malaysian-astro channel 30 viewers
    By funny face in forum TVB Series
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-21-05, 09:24 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts