Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Undefeated East, Unrivaled By the West, Undefeatable Throughout the Realm . . .

Default The Undefeated East, Unrivaled By the West, Undefeatable Throughout the Realm . . .

This topic is pertaining to the prowess of Dongfang Bubai.

In the match with Linghu Chong, Dongfang dashed to poke at Linghu with his thin, short needle. Because Linghu also attacked, Dongfang had to block the long sword or else he would have been stabbed. The result is that Dongfang poked Linghu in the cheek and then stepped back to block the sword. Now imagine if Dongfang Bubai was fighting with a long sword (same as Linghu Chong). Would Linghu Chong have been a goner after that initial stance?
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Most probably.

nope i dont think so. Because a long sword would be harder to maneuever around. As with a needle all you have to do is move your fingers and the needle would change direction.

This is a straight stab and straight pull back. If DFBB had a sword, LHC would've been run through first without DFBB having to pull back.

Even large weapons are quick. There's something called torque... think about a 3rd Class Lever. Maneuvering a needle is certainly more agile, but in quickness a longsword would far surpass it.

However, DFBB himself was as fast as weapons...

Depends on if the needle is a specific martial art and if whether he totally mastered to what degree.. if we look at it with great anylazation then we would have to look at many points.. but yea if simply.. it wouldn't be wrong to assume that he might be able to do with a longer sword

Another issue. When Linghu Chong attacked ferociously at Dongfang, the latter seemed to be busy blocking all the time. And then Xiang Wentian and Ren Woxing jumped in to help, but they only seemed to be getting in the way. Does this mean that if Linghu Chong attacked ferociously enough WITHOUT the help of 2 additional experts, he would have a better chance with DOngfang?

Quote Originally Posted by PJ
    Another issue. When Linghu Chong attacked ferociously at Dongfang, the latter seemed to be busy blocking all the time. And then Xiang Wentian and Ren Woxing jumped in to help, but they only seemed to be getting in the way. Does this mean that if Linghu Chong attacked ferociously enough WITHOUT the help of 2 additional experts, he would have a better chance with DOngfang?
    Not true, as the translations shows that LHC despite trying to hit DFBB with all his might, only manages to hit thin air.

This is with RWX and WXT trying to hit DFBB as well.

I think that if DFBB vs LHC one on one, LHC may not even manage to hit DFBB at all.

HAn Solo

Quote Originally Posted by creamcheese007
    nope i dont think so. Because a long sword would be harder to maneuever around. As with a needle all you have to do is move your fingers and the needle would change direction.

but there is much more power with a long sword.
    Watch out! Dihydrogen Monoxide will kill us all!

If you think about it, LHC has a way longer reach with his sword than DFBB with his needle. So when DFBB already managed to reach LHC with his needle, wouldn't the point of LHC's sword be behind DFBB's body? So why would DFBB need to block it? He's already inside LHC's sword range and he's won already. This is actually what happened when Jin Yong described the fight between LPZ and YCH in the beginning of ch 35.

Quote Originally Posted by pokit
    If you think about it, LHC has a way longer reach with his sword than DFBB with his needle. So when DFBB already managed to reach LHC with his needle, wouldn't the point of LHC's sword be behind DFBB's body? So why would DFBB need to block it? He's already inside LHC's sword range and he's won already. This is actually what happened when Jin Yong described the fight between LPZ and YCH in the beginning of ch 35.
    The only way to visualise it for me is that DFBB sidestepped inside LHC's sword to poke his face, then blocked when LHC swung his sword round to attack.

Lets not even talk about a sword, if DFBB had a _longer_ needle, LHC would be dead too. Or if DFBB had coated the needle with poison.

I don't think RWX and XWT got in LHC's way either. When LHC thought about the fight later on, his thoughts were that the _combined_ might of 4 fighters couldn't overcome DFBB. He didn't think 'Damn RWX got in my way".
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Anyone wonder why he doesn't just fight barehanded? Given the length of the needles, saying that they are not efficient weapons is an understatement. If he had been able to slap them around with his bare hands instead, wouldn't it be more damaging than pricking them with a needle? Not to mention he can do a lot more with his hands freed. Punch, claw, stab, palm, grab etc.
    "I will punish the evil and protect the weak, superboy is in a winning streak. The sky's peak is what I seek"

i suppose with a needle, there's more sword essence rather than just his hands. afterall, sunflower thingy is still a sword art. plus, he probably didn't want to dirty his hands with their skin/bloods or something
    Watch out! Dihydrogen Monoxide will kill us all!

Actually, I think there is a distance between them that can't be reach just by using their hand but with a needle, it is basically very difficult to counter with such speed and power. Thats why people tends to use needle as projectile instead of other bigger weapon like sword. Basically, I don't think SUNFLOWER manual is a sword art manual but instead a manual for training great inner power actually.

I am not even sure if DFBB specifically trained in needle fighting or he used them just because he was busy embroidering when our gang barged in.

There seems to be a lack of information on DFBB fights after he overthrew RWX. Did he ever fight with needles before his last fatal fight? How did he get the reputation of #1 undefeatable under the heavens for the past decade?
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ken2004
    Actually, I think there is a distance between them that can't be reach just by using their hand but with a needle, it is basically very difficult to counter with such speed and power. Thats why people tends to use needle as projectile instead of other bigger weapon like sword. Basically, I don't think SUNFLOWER manual is a sword art manual but instead a manual for training great inner power actually.
    Except for the fact that DFBB is using the needle like a sword.

Han Solo

Quote Originally Posted by Han Solo
    Not true, as the translations shows that LHC despite trying to hit DFBB with all his might, only manages to hit thin air.
    But before that, When Linghu fought Dongfang 1:1, it was stated that Dongfang had no choice but to either block or avoid Linghu Chong's sword. Then after Ren Woxing and Xiang Wentian joined, they didn't seem to add any value at all.

I think that if DFBB vs LHC one on one, LHC may not even manage to hit DFBB at all.
    Of course Linghu Chong would not be able to land any hits on Dongfang, but Dongfang may not be able to land any life-threatening hits on Linghu either, if Linghu went all-out on the assault.

Quote Originally Posted by superboy
    Anyone wonder why he doesn't just fight barehanded? Given the length of the needles, saying that they are not efficient weapons is an understatement. If he had been able to slap them around with his bare hands instead, wouldn't it be more damaging than pricking them with a needle? Not to mention he can do a lot more with his hands freed. Punch, claw, stab, palm, grab etc.
    Long time no see!

Dongfang Bubai used the thin needle to block and parry Linghu Chong's sword. I don't think he can do that empty-handed.

Plus, Jin Yong wanted to emphasize Dongfang's feminine qualities. The needle works well to convey this expression.
    Last edited by PJ; 01-18-07 at 12:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pokit
    If you think about it, LHC has a way longer reach with his sword than DFBB with his needle. So when DFBB already managed to reach LHC with his needle, wouldn't the point of LHC's sword be behind DFBB's body? So why would DFBB need to block it?
    The only way to visualise it for me is that DFBB sidestepped inside LHC's sword to poke his face, then blocked when LHC swung his sword round to attack.
    Perhaps By the time Linghu Chong got his act together to react, Dongfang Bubai had already poked Linghu Chong in the face. When the sword was extended out, Dongfang still needed to block/evade it or else it would have penetrated his throat.

If he was fast enough to just poke LHC in the face and then parry the blow, why wasn't he fast enough to parry an attack and then stab LHC in the face. In such a case, LHC would have even lesser time to launch a counter offensive.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ
    But before that, When Linghu fought Dongfang 1:1, it was stated that Dongfang had no choice but to either block or avoid Linghu Chong's sword. Then after Ren Woxing and Xiang Wentian joined, they didn't seem to add any value at all.

Of course Linghu Chong would not be able to land any hits on Dongfang, but Dongfang may not be able to land any life-threatening hits on Linghu either, if Linghu went all-out on the assault.
    you can't be too literal sometimes.....jy just wanted to emphasize how great dg9j is by saying that....i take that phrase more of an expression than an actual fact....

dfbb might be indeed defending but he might have no intention to kill lhc just yet..perhaps he just want to test the sword skills of lhc....

i'd look more at other evidences than at that particular phrase to judge whether lhc is anywhere close to dfbb in martial arts...
    Still searching for my GuGu