Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some questions about the Mo Leung Sword Sect

Default Some questions about the Mo Leung Sword Sect

Some questions about the Mo Leung Sword Sect of DGSD:

1. How did the sect split into the Eastern and Western schools?

2. Why did the two schools split on gender lines?

3. Other than sharing a mountain with where Lee Chou Sui had her secret cave, was there any real connection between Lee Chou Sui, Teen San Tung Lo, or the Siu Yiu Sect and the Mo Leung Sword Sect?

4. Was Mt. Mo Leung in Dali or Sung territory?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    1. How did the sect split into the Eastern and Western schools?
    Please see: http://wuxiapedia.com/novels/jin_yon...oundless_sword

2. Why did the two schools split on gender lines?
    The school was not split along gender lines.
    From the link above:

Disciples of the western faction, which was led by Xin Shuangqing, included:
    * Ge Guangpei 葛光佩 - young woman; eloped with Gan Guanghao from the eastern faction (Chapter 2, surname only). Had a few white pox-like spots on her left cheek. Killed together with Gan Guanghao (who had become her husband) by Mu Wanqing when they tried to silence Duan Yu (Chapter 3, named in full).
    * Zhu 诸 - young man; lost to Gong Guangjie of the East during the inter-faction martial arts and swordplay competition (Chapter 1).

3. Other than sharing a mountain with where Lee Chou Sui had her secret cave, was there any real connection between Lee Chou Sui, Teen San Tung Lo, or the Siu Yiu Sect and the Mo Leung Sword Sect?
    Not that I know of.

4. Was Mt. Mo Leung in Dali or Sung territory?
    Dali.
    Again, from the above link:
    A martial arts school that was established on the Boundless Mountain [Wu2 Liang4 Shan1 无量山] of Nanzhao [Nan2 Zhao4 南诏] during the short-lived Later Han empire [Hou4 Han4 后汉, 947 A.D. to 950 A.D.] in the Five-Dynasties period [Wu3 Dai4 五代, 907 A.D. to 960 A.D.].
    Nanzhao was the former name of Dali, viz:
    http://wuxiapedia.com/research/history/duan_family
    The Kingdom of Dali [大理国 Da4 Li3 Guo2] reigned in Yunnan [云南 Yun2 Nan2] in the south-western corner of present-day China from 937 to 1253. It was established after the fall of the Nanzhao Dynasty [南诏 Nan2 Zhao4] in 902 and three other very brief reigns that lasted a total of 35 years.

--

All the above, and more, about DGSD at Wuxiapedia.

--
    Jin Yong's Ode to Gallantry [侠客行].
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    what about SPT, I need my SPT fix ASAP, pretty pleaseeeee...
    Soon ... SOON!

Thanks for the info, Lord Huang.

I have an additional question that Wuxiapedia probably will not be able to answer: was Chung Man Sau's Man Sau Manor also local to the Mount Mo Leung vicinity? Chung Ling apparently didn't have to travel too far from home to get there. Deun Yu did not take long to travel from Mt. Mo Leung to Man Sau Manor (at whose stables he would meet Muk Yeun Ching) and back.

Also, was the Divine Dragon Union local to Mt. Mo Leung, or had they simply traveled there from elsewhere to attack the Mo Leung Sword Sect on Teen San Tung Lo's orders?

It's the Divine Agriculture Clan, or the Divine Farming Clan -- not Divine Dragon.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by PJ
    It's the Divine Agriculture Clan, or the Divine Farming Clan -- not Divine Dragon.
    Hee! What a stupid sounding name (in English, at least) for a martial arts sect!

The Divine Farmers' Sect? Doesn't exactly inspire fear and dread in the enemy, does it?

If I were Deun Yu and I were telling other people about running for my life from the "Divine Farming Union," I don't know if I'd be able to keep a straight face while telling the story.

Shen Nong was the name of the Emperor who first taught herb use to the Chinese people. So that clan name quite befits them since they use poison (probably herb based poison - from the name). So if you wanted to translate the name using its meaning rather then a literal translation, one could use - Sect of the Ancestral Emperor or something like that.

Even if you wanted to use Divine Farmer, it should be translated as The Divine Farmer Clan rather then the Divine Farmers Clan. Can't have the plural 'farmers' or 'farming' since Divine Farmer was a singular entity.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    I have an additional question that Wuxiapedia probably will not be able to answer:
    Sometimes, it's good to check out the Facts of Figures of DGSD on Wuxiapedia before making this assumption.

was Chung Man Sau's Man Sau Manor also local to the Mount Mo Leung vicinity? Chung Ling apparently didn't have to travel too far from home to get there. Deun Yu did not take long to travel from Mt. Mo Leung to Man Sau Manor (at whose stables he would meet Muk Yeun Ching) and back.
    Please see: http://wuxiapedia.com/novels/jin_yon...and_calamities
    From the link:
    Home of Zhong Ling; located on the western bank of the Lancang River (accessed via the Crossing of Benevolent People, if necessary). Two to four days' return journey from the Boundless Mountain, depending on the speed of travel.
    See also: http://wuxiapedia.com/novels/jin_yon...undless_cavern
    From the link:
    The route out of the cavern and the ravine of the Lake of Swords:
    * Opened out to the bank of Lancang River, about 10 zhang (33.33 metres) from the surface of the water.

From Chapter 2 of the novel:
    After Duan Yu left the cavern and the ravine of the Lake of Swords through the exit on the bank of Lancang River, he walked for at least 17-18 li (8.5-9 km) before arriving at the Crossing of Benevolent People.

Man Sau Manor (at whose stables he would meet Muk Yeun Ching)
    Incorrect.
    From: http://wuxiapedia.com/novels/jin_yon...ple/mu_wanqing
    Lived in a large house about 6 to 7 li (3.0 to 3.5 km) to the north of the Valley of Ten Thousand Calamities.

Also, was the Divine Dragon Union local to Mt. Mo Leung, or had they simply traveled there from elsewhere to attack the Mo Leung Sword Sect on Teen San Tung Lo's orders?
    A Cantonese clarification:
    1. Divine Dragon Union = San4 Lung4 Bong1
    2. Society of the Divine Farmer = San4 Nung4 Bong1
    When poorly articulated, Nung4 can sound like Lung4.

From: http://wuxiapedia.com/novels/jin_yon...rganisations#S
    Society of the Divine Farmer, The [Shen2 Nong2 Bang1 神农帮] - a group of people who collected and sold medicinal flora and fauna for a living. Became hostile towards The Boundless Sword after it was not allowed to collect medicinal flora from the mountains behind the Palace of the Lake of Swords. Skilled in the use of poison; always prepared with a comprehensive range of medicinal flora and fauna of the best quality. Attacked The Boundless Sword on the orders of Misty Peak's Palace of the Gifted Vulture (Chapter 1). A vassal entity of the Palace of the Gifted Vulture for 8 years (Chapter 5).
    The origins and headquarters of this organisation are not stated in the first 14 chapters of the novel, which is the current state of all the annotated references on DGSD on Wuxiapedia. Things may change when the annotation is complete.
    Last edited by HuangYushi; 01-20-07 at 02:07 AM. Reason: Added Cantonese clarification for the Society of the Divine Farmer
    Jin Yong's Ode to Gallantry [侠客行].
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    what about SPT, I need my SPT fix ASAP, pretty pleaseeeee...
    Soon ... SOON!

Default Mo Leung Sword Sect questions.

A few questions about the Mo Leung Sword Sect (DGSD):

1. Who decided to separate the Mo Leung Sword Sect into Eastern and Western "Wings," and why was it split along gender lines?

2. Why did the two wings need to have a contest every five years to determine who would get the privilege of living in the Mo Leung Manor for the next five years? Isn't there room enough to accommodate everyone? Couldn't they *add* room if they needed to?

3. Just what were those shadowy figures on the face of the Mo Leung Jade Cliff? Who was practicing sword techniques there? What kind of sword technique was it? How did that technique compare to other DGSD elite martial arts?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    A few questions about the Mo Leung Sword Sect (DGSD):

1. Who decided to separate the Mo Leung Sword Sect into Eastern and Western "Wings," and why was it split along gender lines?

2. Why did the two wings need to have a contest every five years to determine who would get the privilege of living in the Mo Leung Manor for the next five years? Isn't there room enough to accommodate everyone? Couldn't they *add* room if they needed to?

3. Just what were those shadowy figures on the face of the Mo Leung Jade Cliff? Who was practicing sword techniques there? What kind of sword technique was it? How did that technique compare to other DGSD elite martial arts?
    1.) It was NOT split among gender lines.

2.) There are 3 factions (why no South?).

Nobody cares enough about Wu Liang Pai since their skills are so crappy. You don't see people asking JY about them during the 100 question session. Just like nobody cares how old Shan Shushan was or what skill he practiced.

3.) Wuyazi and Li Qiushui. Technique not named. Knowing them, it can't be scrubby stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    1.) It was NOT split among gender lines.
    DGSD '81 (yeah, yeah, I know...) had the Eastern and Western Wings. Eastern Wing was all men, no women...Western Wing was all women, no men.

Just how the first TVB version rolled...

2.) There are 3 factions (why no South?).
    There wasn't even the mention of a Southern or Northern Wing. It was just Eastern and Western in DGSD '81, arranged like sword-wielding boy scouts and girl scouts.

Nobody cares enough about Wu Liang Pai since their skills are so crappy. You don't see people asking JY about them during the 100 question session. Just like nobody cares how old Shan Shushan was or what skill he practiced.
    During the opening part of DGSD, it looked for a short while as if they were going to be the focus of the story, but they began to fade out of the story shortly after the Four Great Evils first showed up and disappeared from the story more or less completely after Deun Yu and Muk Yeun Ching returned to Dali.

3.) Wuyazi and Li Qiushui. Technique not named. Knowing them, it can't be scrubby stuff.
    Probably not. I wonder if their sword technique was good enough to take on Dook Goo Kau Bai's stuff?

You don't see people asking JY about them during the 100 question session.
    And yet, one outstanding individual asked whether Bao Butong AND his daughter Bao Bujing (who was only mentioned like twice) were related to Yang Tiexin's wife in LOCH!!!!!!!!!! Definitely the most ELOC question to Jin Yong, I bet he was caught off guard!!

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    And yet, one outstanding individual asked whether Bao Butong AND his daughter Bao Bujing (who was only mentioned like twice) were related to Yang Tiexin's wife in LOCH!!!!!!!!!! Definitely the most ELOC question to Jin Yong, I bet he was caught off guard!!
    Lol All Baos must be related. Bao Xi Ruo was a beauty. Bao Butong and his daughter are uglies.
    I was wondering the same thing when an "Ou Yang" surname character appeared in HSDS, also a well known player like OYK.

Neyppers, Jin Yong says the Baos are not related.

Well, Bao got quite a lot of speaking lines in DGSD. He isn't that ELOC although I find him rather lovable.

I'd be more impressed if he asked about Sima Lin or Jin Ah Er.

Then again, for Jin Yong, the answer would have been obvious and easy: "no." If he had no such intent when he created those characters, then there's no way such a relationship would be true. Jin Yong wouldn't need to strain his brain thinking about this one.

Well, Bao got quite a lot of speaking lines in DGSD. He isn't that ELOC although I find him rather lovable.

I'd be more impressed if he asked about Sima Lin or Jin Ah Er.
    The ELOC-great part is that he asked about Bao Bujing. If not for the exposition of this ELOC in this question, it's likely that even an ELOC aficionado such as myself would have completely overlooked her.

The ELOC-great part is that he asked about Bao Bujing. If not for the exposition of this ELOC in this question, it's likely that even an ELOC aficionado such as myself would have completely overlooked her.

Credit to DGSD 2003 for mentioning her prominently then. Can't remember if they stuffed her in the Xixia scene for DGSD 82. Ken?

Credit to DGSD 2003 for mentioning her prominently then. Can't remember if they stuffed her in the Xixia scene for DGSD 82. Ken?
    No relatives of Pau But Tung showed up in DGSD '81.