Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Haken no Hinkaku

Screen caps from Haken no Hinkaku Ep8: Proposal to a Haken?

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m86/raven_frosts/Haken_ep8.jpg')
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m86/raven_frosts/Haken_ep8-2.jpg')

The last episode airs next week!
    Last edited by jade_frosts; 03-09-07 at 08:19 AM.

Lol, it's so funny how the dog in episode 9 was symbolic of Shoji in many ways.

I liked the last scene when Kensuke reached out to Haruko and relayed his desire to understand where she's coming from and why she is the way she is. He's doing the job for us viewers. 3 months with a person and she still remains an unsolved mystery for many.

Will Haruko agree to stay with S&F? Will she and Shoji make it official or will there be a dreaded "open ending" (unless they plan to make a special or something)? I'll have to be extra patient, as my viewing of the final episode will be delayed about a week while I'm out of town.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

You'll be on holiday? Enjoy! I thought I'd have a delayed viewing of the last episode but since its only 10 instead of 12 episodes, I'll be able to catch it before going away. Meanwhile, here's an article on Haken no Hinkaku that I translated.

Popular drama, Haken no Hinkaku, enjoys hot support among females in their 20s, 30s
    J-CAST, 27 February 2007

Permanent employees (seishain) who are proud are not so for long. Companies now cannot function without temporary workers (haken) -- This narration by Tomorowo Taguchi, which is reminiscent of the Tale of the Heike (Heike Monogatari), runs through the opening minutes of the popular drama series, Haken no Hinkaku (NTV, Wednesdays 10.00 pm). With ratings hovering around 20 percent and vying squarely with Kimutaku's Karei-naru ni Ichizoku, Haken no Hinkaku was placed in first position in entertainment research company C-NEWS' "Interesting Dramas To Watch" survey. It is particularly popular among females in their 20s and 30s. Where does its appeal lie?

Accurate reflection of the "social disparity" now

In Haken no Hinkaku, Omae Haruko, a temporary worker (haken) who works in a tough work environment, is the central character. She is paid by the hour with no bonus, bears her own transport expenses, and her employment contract is reviewed every three months. Haruko works in a leading commercial firm in Tokyo's Marunouchi but the stark disparity that permanent employees (seishain) are better than temporary workers (haken) is evident there. For instance, Asano Tsutomu, a 23-year-old permanent employee, has an annual salary of 4.75 million yen, but Mori Miyuki, a temporary worker the same age, only receives 2.53 million yen.

This real setting which reflects actual "social disparity," is one of the drama's attractions. "The standpoints of permanent employees (seishain) and temporary workers (haken) are well portrayed, and what both parties have to say are also well understood," said OLs in their 20s who've experienced being both a permanent employee (seishain) and temporary worker (haken). Even women in their 40s who having been workings as temporary workers (haken) since 15 years ago agreed that they had "received treatment, like those scenes in the drama, from permanent employees (seishain)."

Also, Haken no Hinkaku has even struck a great chord with temporary staff employment agencies (haken gaisha) which send temporary workers (haken) to a variety of business corporations. An agency staff service personnel said Hitotsugi Shinya, the temporary work agency salesman who appears in the drama, "well captures the image of the business." "I have empathy for that desperately compliant manner he has towards both the agency's clients and temporary workers (haken). If it were me, I'd plainly say what can't be said."

Current society is reflected in any company. Of these, only super temporary worker (haken) Omae Haruko who earns 3,000 yen an hour, maintains an irreverent attitude with the motto, "reject all troublesome human relations."

Take her first interview, for example, where she impressively declares, "I won't let you regret hiring me. I will work hard for my share of hourly pay these three months." Or "If I have to turn up for a welcome party I don't feel like attending, serve sake I don't feel like pouring, it's fine if you fire me from my job," as she firmly rejects a drinking session after work.

To permanent employees (seishain) who discriminate against temporary workers (haken), she retorts, "Thanks to permanent employees (seishain) who don't work, we, temporary workers (haken) can get an hourly wage. What's the matter with that?" or "I don't want to be like a slave who's tied down by the company," she splendidly counterbacks.

Haruko's way of speaking gives a sense of exhilaration. "It feels good to see Haruko frankly say things that I can never say," a clerical OL in her 30s said.

Of course, Haruko's boast is backed by ability and action. She's not just able to complete business plans in the blink of an eye by making use of her superior computer skills; her qualifications in crane control, elevator inspection, midwifery and other aspects are too many to be written in her resume. And when trouble occurs within the company, she saves them from their desperate situation in impressive, Superman-like fashion.

Incidentally, according to Tempstaff Co, a temporary staff employment agency, temporary workers (haken) who draw more than 3,000 yen in hourly pay like Haruko, and who come from fields like system engineering exist, but "I think there isn't a versatile temporary worker (haken) with qualifications and experience like Haruko's."

Relieved to see ineptness of new temporary workers (haken)

The exquisite combination of a realistic setting and a surreal story is probably the reason why Haken no Hinkaku has caught on. It is a "drama that relieves present-day stress" as it is easy to connect emotionally to and has a story that's easy to understand like Mitokoumon (a popular historical drama based Tokugawa Mitsukuni, lord of the province of Mito - present day Ibaraki prefecture).

"People including myself, see the ineptness of the new temporary worker, Mori Miyuki, acted by Kato Ai and feel relieved with the way we are today, but we feel admiration when we see Omae Haruko perform the impossible easily," says an IT company salaryman in his 30s.

However, the contract period for this delightful Omae Haruko runs for three months. In addition to declaring "I definitely won't renew my contract," she will, a month from now, suddenly disappear and go off somewhere.

Ep9 was nice but it didn't really reveal anything really new about Haruko's past as I had been expecting it to. So much for the episode's title. It felt more like a filler before ep10.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Zhuge
    Lol, it's so funny how the dog in episode 9 was symbolic of Shoji in many ways.
    Yeah. I was also very amused that Haruko used Kuru Kuru to locate Shoji and how Shoji just sat there obediently and waited like she told him too.

I liked the last scene when Kensuke reached out to Haruko and relayed his desire to understand where she's coming from and why she is the way she is. He's doing the job for us viewers. 3 months with a person and she still remains an unsolved mystery for many.

Will Haruko agree to stay with S&F? Will she and Shoji make it official or will there be a dreaded "open ending" (unless they plan to make a special or something)? I'll have to be extra patient, as my viewing of the final episode will be delayed about a week while I'm out of town.
    In the end, it's still Kensuke that understands Haruko best with what little he has perceived and gleaned from his own observations and the comments of those around her. I think he nailed it when he guessed that deep down, Haruko is still the very same person she had been 10 years ago, but had, in the intervening years, progressively built a sturdy wall around her heart to protect herself from being vulnerable. And it has taken her so many more years to get an assignment with a company that has people who care for her as an individual , people who are determined to chip away at her facade to know the real person within. I thought that last scene was like deja vu, reminding me of a very similar scene at the end of ep2 where Kensuke approaches Haruko at the bus stop because he's perplexed by her intentional loss to Shoji. Except this time around, it's a much warmer Haruko that he's talking to.

Was Kensuke's last statement, "I need you!" his love declaration??? I think, unlike Shoji, he'll never get his act together even up to the very end.

It'll be too good for them to pass up on a drama special since Haken no Hinkaku has performed so well in the ratings. I don't think Shoji will make another move since he's been categorically rejected by Haruko so it's probably all up to her now? No cliches please! Haha maybe Shoji will pack his bags and go to Spain with Haruko to learn the flamenco!!! To me, it'd be a stretch if he were allowed to return to S&F after so openly humiliating Kirishima.

Well, the title for ep10 is out: Contract ends! ... Super haken's final skill. If there's anything to read from it I guess we better not place too much hope for a resolution to the Haruko-Shoji pairing lest we get disappointed.

One more day to go!

More screen caps from Haken no Hinkaku Ep8: Proposal to a Haken?

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m86/raven_frosts/Haken_ep8-1.jpg')
    Last edited by jade_frosts; 03-13-07 at 11:54 PM.

Well, would you believe it!? Haken no Hinkaku hit a staggering high of 26% in the Kanto region for its final episode!!!!!!

I'm trying to contain my impatience and curiosity to find out how the last episode went and how long it ran for. No script to peek at this moment too. Argh. Haha.

Haken no Hinkaku Viewership Ratings
    Ep 1: 18.2% (Kanto region), 19.0% (Kansai region), 27.0% (Hokkaido region)
    Ep 2: 18.6% (Kanto region), 19.3% (Kansai region), 25.9% (Hokkaido region)
    Ep 3: 18.8% (Kanto region), 19.6% (Kansai region), 22.4% (Hokkaido region)
    Ep 4: 20.1% (Kanto region), 20.6% (Kansai region), 24.5% (Hokkaido region)
    Ep 5: 18.6% (Kanto region), 21.3% (Kansai region), 24.2% (Hokkaido region)
    Ep 6: 20.7% (Kanto region), 23.5% (Kansai region), 24.7% (Hokkaido region)
    Ep 7: 20.2% (Kanto region), 22.0% (Kansai region), 27.2% (Hokkaido region)
    Ep 8: 19.9% (Kanto region), 20.6% (Kansai region), 26.8% (Hokkaido region)
    Ep 9: 19.9% (Kanto region), 21.2% (Kansai region), 25.2% (Hokkaido region)
    Ep 10: 26.0% (Kanto region), 25.6% (Kansai region), 26.3% (Hokkaido region)
    Average: 20.1% (Kanto region), 21.3% (Kansai region), 25.4% (Hokkaido region)
    Last edited by jade_frosts; 03-30-07 at 12:25 AM.

Screen caps from Haken no Hinkaku Ep9: Super Haken's Past

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m86/raven_frosts/Haken-Ep9.jpg')
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m86/raven_frosts/Haken-ep9.jpg')

We were treated to an extra 10 mins for the last episode which finally revealed why Haruko never extended her contracts beyond the 3 month period, as well as how Haruko felt towards Shoji.

It was hilarious watching Shoji hatch rather half-baked strategies to thwart Haruko's attempt to leave S&F (lifelong saba miso pass! ). Naturally, they backfired but it was sweet. Haruko continued to act like her usual unflappable tough cookie ("So what if I like skydiving???" she says defensively when she saves the day yet again), but her actions showed how much those 3 months had changed her life. With Shoji's departure, Kensuke rose to the occasion and showed that he wasn't the inept, hapless marketing manager that he had been made out to be, and Kirishima morphed from his antagonistic, wrathful boss to a proud, beaming one (thanks to the overwhelming success of the haken bento project). The best bit was probably the time when Haruko turned up in Nagoya, appeared before Shoji, flashed her qualifications (even one for hair styling) and offered her services for 3 months. He was so emotionally overwhelmed that the significance behind her appearance failed to sink in.

Haken no Hinkaku highlights the social changes with the growing ranks of hakens and while it does glorify hakens it offers a well-balanced depiction of hakens and seishain. Every main character has his/her strengths and weaknesses, even super Haruko, and this makes them easy to identify with. It also shows that whether seishain or haken, it's a life path that one chooses depending on what one desires of his or her life as shown through Miyuki and Haruko. It's rare to have a drama that deals with such pertinent social issues without a heavy hand, manages to remain sure-footed and consistent as it progresses, and illustrates its subject in a thoroughly entertaining fashion. Very satisfying!

More screen caps from Haken no Hinkaku Ep9: Super Haken's Past

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m86/raven_frosts/Haken_ep9.jpg')

thanks Jade-frosts for your pictures and review. I was watching this series up to the 4th episode. I'm so in love with it , but the person who uploaded it stopped ...sniff sniff ... (as I said, I don't know how to download bittorrent) ,so I'm still searching around for other source to view this series. Thanks for you review that I can keep up with it.

I hope they'll have these kind of interesting drama in the future . It'll be great with Shinohara Ryoko in it. I just love her .

Quote Originally Posted by jade_frosts
    You'll be on holiday? Enjoy! I thought I'd have a delayed viewing of the last episode but since its only 10 instead of 12 episodes, I'll be able to catch it before going away.
    Thanks, I had a good time. I presume you're on your holiday now.

I finally watched the finale today. I agree with your comments jade, and that everything wrapped up satisfactorily. It seemed like alot had changed and yet nothing had really changed, especially between Haruko and Shoji. I will miss watching their bantering. Kensuke and Miyuki's relationship never fully developed in the romantic sense, but I think it's better that way. This series definitely maintained high quality episodes each week and it's nice to see the well-deserved ratings it garnered. I'm not sure how reliable the source is, but it's rumored that Ryoko is pregnant and that may have had something to do with the series being 10 episodes rather than the originally projected 12.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thanks, I had a good time. I presume you're on your holiday now.
    Yep. I just got back today although I was half wishing that what I had was a one-way ticket. Heh.

I finally watched the finale today. I agree with your comments jade, and that everything wrapped up satisfactorily. It seemed like alot had changed and yet nothing had really changed, especially between Haruko and Shoji. I will miss watching their bantering. Kensuke and Miyuki's relationship never fully developed in the romantic sense, but I think it's better that way. This series definitely maintained high quality episodes each week and it's nice to see the well-deserved ratings it garnered. I'm not sure how reliable the source is, but it's rumored that Ryoko is pregnant and that may have had something to do with the series being 10 episodes rather than the originally projected 12.
    Me too! *sigh* Haruko and Shoji are one of the cutest and funniest couples in j-drama. There's not much to look forward to for the new season as I think I've already said one too many times. I'm hoping Miho Kanno's Watashitachi no Kyokasho (literally translated as Our Education Text) will be what Haken no Hinkaku was for winter 2007. Not that Watashitachi no Kyokasho can be considered a social commentary of a current issue since the story seems to hint that it will deal with school bullying.

I'm not surprised about the rumours of Ryoko's pregnancy since her face looks considerably fuller in Haken no Hinkaku compared to Hanayome wa Yakudoshi just one season earlier. If she is, that will put her out of action for some time. Darned. I'm sure huongduong will share similar sentiments too. I wonder how Unfair the movie is performing.

I'll upload screen caps from the last episode once I've settled in.

Yep. I just got back today although I was half wishing that what I had was a one-way ticket. Heh.
    Welcome back! Haha, it sounds like you had a nice and relaxing time.

There's not much to look forward to for the new season as I think I've already said one too many times. I'm hoping Miho Kanno's Watashitachi no Kyokasho (literally translated as Our Education Text) will be what Haken no Hinkaku was for winter 2007. Not that Watashitachi no Kyokasho can be considered a social commentary of a current issue since the story seems to hint that it will deal with school bullying.
    I'll let you take the plunge and gauge how worthwhile the series is. You like Miho Kanno, right? And I know you love Shosuke Tanihara.

I'm not surprised about the rumours of Ryoko's pregnancy since her face looks considerably fuller in Haken no Hinkaku compared to Hanayome wa Yakudoshi just one season earlier. If she is, that will put her out of action for some time. Darned.
    She wore rather baggy clothes throughout most of the last episode too.

I'll upload screen caps from the last episode once I've settled in.
    Please do! I just remembered one of my favorite parts in the final episode, when Haruko pretended to be Miyuki when Shoji called.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Welcome back! Haha, it sounds like you had a nice and relaxing time.

I'll let you take the plunge and gauge how worthwhile the series is. You like Miho Kanno, right? And I know you love Shosuke Tanihara.

She wore rather baggy clothes throughout most of the last episode too.

Please do! I just remembered one of my favorite parts in the final episode, when Haruko pretended to be Miyuki when Shoji called.
    Yeah it was. Miho Kanno's a pretty good and versatile actress - definitely a notch above Kato Ai but not one of my favourites (yet). Spring season starts in 2 weeks.

Haha yeah. I rewatched ep10 while doing the screen caps and was laughing at Haruko's expression of annoyance when Shoji refused to talk to her and asked to speak with Miyuki, her cute imitation of Miyuki, and her "innocently" asked question whether he'd like the phone passed back to Haruko, followed by her reaction to his reply. Classic Haruko. I think I shall do screen caps with dialogue from the best moments between Haruko and Shoji. Meanwhile, here's ep10.

Screen caps from Haken no Hinkaku Ep10: Contract Ends! ... Super Haken's Final Skill

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m86/raven_frosts/Haken_ep10.jpg')
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m86/raven_frosts/Haken_ep10-1.jpg')

Rumours of a Haken no Hinkaku sequel in fall has been reported by Nikkan Gendai. Haken no Hinkaku averaged a 20.1% viewership rating per episode, while its finale drew 26.0% in the Kanto region. According to the gossip tabloid, NTV approached Ryoko Shinohara about a sequel while the original series was still being broadcast due to the high ratings. NTV seemed to be aiming for it to air as early as summer but this was moved to fall due to conflicts with Shinohara's schedule.

Rumours of a Haken no Hinkaku sequel in fall has been reported by Nikkan Gendai. Haken no Hinkaku averaged a 20.1% viewership rating per episode, while its finale drew 26.0% in the Kanto region. According to the gossip tabloid, NTV approached Ryoko Shinohara about a sequel while the original series was still being broadcast due to the high ratings. NTV seemed to be aiming for it to air as early as summer but this was moved to fall due to conflicts with Shinohara's schedule.
    If this is true, then I guess Ryoko may not be pregnant after all. I hope the rest of the main cast returns as well (+/- Kato Ai ).
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Congrats to Shinohara Ryoko for winning the Best Actress award at the 52nd Television Drama Academy Awards for Haken no Hinkaku! Kimura Takuya's drama The Grand Tribe won most of the other major awards (except Best Drama, which went to Hana Yori Dango 2).
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Zhuge View Post
    Congrats to Shinohara Ryoko for winning the Best Actress award at the 52nd Television Drama Academy Awards for Haken no Hinkaku! Kimura Takuya's drama The Grand Tribe won most of the other major awards (except Best Drama, which went to Hana Yori Dango 2).
    Congrats to Ryoko. It's well-deserved. I noticed that she has won quite a few awards in recent years. Hikari to Tomo ni in 2004, Anego in 2005 and Unfair in 2006. Formidable!

I had to do a double take when I read HYD II for Best Drama. Can't quite believe it. It'll be interesting to see the media's vs audience's choices.
    Last edited by jade_frosts; 05-02-07 at 04:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Zhuge View Post
    This was a great tv drama played by Shinohara; been cheering her on within each episode, along with the characters around her. I am hoping she will come back in this sequel. Omae Haruko, Super haken played by Shinohara Ryoko has many great analogies reference's from a temp's point of view clear to the point might add. In the end of this show, it had changed me on the attitude between temp's and full-timer's; the whole message of this story is should the temps also be treated as a person instead of a tool to be re-used again and again? Yes, it should and this message was very clear to me, as well toward the audience and something more.

After watching this show, I'd wanted to see another tv show she'd done called:Hanayome wa Yakudoshi[The Pretend Bride]. Changing the scenario from a serious attitude expression into a more funnier romance comedy; this series is also beautifully done by her. I'm very impressed, it's nice she'd won the award.
    Last edited by mind_wander; 10-05-09 at 10:50 AM.
    Check out: http://samthetypist.spaces.live.com/ ; Currently under construction;Check out http://www.soundclick.com/spcnet07 , provided by Sugar.