Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Haken no Hinkaku

Default Haken no Hinkaku

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m86/raven_frosts/HakennoHinkaku.jpg')

Haken no Hinkaku, is a drama that examines the differences in the treatment and working conditions of contract workers and regular employees at a food manufacturer. It follows in the wake of an October report on labor conditions by the Japanese Labor Ministry, which showed that the proportion of contract workers to regular employees had doubled compared to that eight years ago, after a relaxation of regulations.

The term "haken" refers to temporary workers supplied by an employment agency. Haken became popular in the 1990s as a means of finding job opportunities for women who wished to resume working in a flexible way at their convenience, but in the late 1990s, with the rising unemployment rate, many people chose to work as haken as a stop-gap before finding a full-time job.
    Last edited by jade_frosts; 01-26-07 at 11:20 PM.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m86/raven_frosts/Chart.jpg')

Stars:
    Shinohara Ryoko as Omae Haruko, Super haken
    Kato Ai as Miyuki Mori, New haken
    Koizumi Kotaroo as Satonaka Kensuke, Marketing manager
    Oizumi You as Shouji Takeshi, Division 2 sales manager
    Katsuji Ryo as Asano Tsutomu, New employee
    Itaya Yuka as Kuroiwa Masako, Division 2 sales staff
    Yasuda Ken as Hitotsugi Shinya, Haken company manager
    Shirakawa Yumi as Amaya Mayuko, Cantante's owner
    Shirota Yuu as Amaya Ryuto, Flamenco guitarist
    Matsukata Hiroki as Kirishima Toshio, Head of business department
    Last edited by jade_frosts; 01-20-07 at 02:31 AM.

TELEVIEWS / 'Haken no Hinkaku': The temps take over NTV

Wm. Penn / Special to The Daily Yomiuri

Every overworked, under-appreciated office lady in the land should tune in to Haken no Hinkaku (Wednesdays, 10 p.m., NTV network) for some vicarious vindication. Haven't seen a series this satisfying in a long time. It manages to be both light comedy and scathing social comment.

Ryoko Shinohara is excellent as Haruko Omae, a supertalented haken shain (temp agency worker) who sets her own conditions and takes no nonsense from anyone. Haken no Hinkaku is thought-provoking stress relief for a nation caught up in the current employment mess where many now find they have to accept low wages, no security, bonus or benefits just to get a job.

Omae's answer to the conundrum is to be independent, highly skilled and versatile. In Episode 1, we found out she is a whiz at computers, can operate a forklift and makes a perfect cup of tea.

She carries out her assignments ultraefficiently, but invests no passion in her job, accepts no overtime and doesn't buy into the corporate vision or team spirit. Her real passion is flamenco dancing.

Shinohara enjoys a good supporting cast. We see Omae through the adoring eyes of her temp agency coworker Miyuki (Ai Kato), a young woman who fits the haken stereotype--young, inexperienced and rather irresponsible. Hokkaido actor Yo Oizumi is good as the seishain (full-time employee) section head who contemptuously addresses Haruko as "omae" (a condescending form of "you"). She simply uses her surname to put him in his place. "Omae," she shoots back while referring to him with a more polite, but equally condescending, term "seishain-san." The script for episode one was full of sharply crafted dialogue like this.

Even Kotaro Koizumi, who plays Haruko's superior in the new marketing department, is good considering his role requires him to do little more than look convincingly incompetent. The scene in which Haruko pulls him up out of a bus seat by his necktie so it could be offered to a little old lady is a classic.

Looks like this will be Ryoko Shinohara's third hit in a row following Anego (2005) and Unfair (2006), the film version of which hits theaters in March. If the series continues to be this good, it could mean four stars for the supertemp and a bonanza for the NTV Web site gift shop.

I don't know anything about this drama, so the first thing I did was, naturally, scan for hotties.

Are you following this series, jade? If so, please let us know how you like it and if it's worth watching.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Zhuge
    I don't know anything about this drama, so the first thing I did was, naturally, scan for hotties.

Are you following this series, jade? If so, please let us know how you like it and if it's worth watching.
    You know what, lady zhuge....I would have done the same thing....btw, your signing off signature has changed...why did you choose that? just curious...

Quote Originally Posted by strawberry
    You know what, lady zhuge....I would have done the same thing....btw, your signing off signature has changed...why did you choose that? just curious...
    The former PM's son looks pretty cute.

Yeah, I felt like some new sigs for the new year were in order. As for my current one, I just like its humor and wittiness underlining an observation which holds some truth.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Haha. Hotties? Well, I'm sorry to say that Haken no Hinkaku is rather short on male eye candy. Koizumi Kotaro is quite cute but I'm not sure if he'll progress from playing a rather haplessly inexperienced marketing manager to a more savvy one in later episodes. I love men who are in control of the situation.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m86/raven_frosts/Haken.jpg')

I am watching this series now, and I think that it is one of most promising dramas of the winter season. There are many big names anchoring various dramas but some of the plots and supporting cast leave a lot to be desired. I didn't expect much of Haken no Hinkaku initially and in fact started watching it out of curiousity, and I can't wait for the next episode!!! Shinohara Ryoko is back in form after a rather dismal showing in the tepid Hanayome wa Yakudoshi in summer 2006. It wasn't any fault of hers because even an established actress can't save a drama from floundering on a weak script and non-existent chemistry with the male lead. Anyway, her turn as Omae Haruko in Haken no Hinkaku once again shows us why she's one of the most popular actresses in the Japanese entertainment industry and also why she's lasted so long in this fickle showbiz world.

The dialogue is sharp and funny at turns, the episodes are well-paced and structured, and the cast acquit themselves admirably. (I still find Kato Ai annoying but I guess I can live with her.)

I'll put up more information on the characters and the story soon. Don't let the lack of hotties deter you from watching.

All kidding aside, I wouldn't let lack of eyecandy deter me from watching quality series with interesting storylines and strong performances.

As for the hapless male marketing manager, it sounds like he's there to help make the female lead look good.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Quote Originally Posted by jade_frosts
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m86/raven_frosts/Haken.jpg')

I'll put up more information on the characters and the story soon. Don't let the lack of hotties deter you from watching.
    Ryoko certainly looks gorgeous here. There goes that same gaijin who played Kiyora's sensei from Europe (in NC) on the very right side. This certainly sounds interesting since I also like @$$ kicking no nonsense main female character. However the lack of hotties certainly will delay my priority. I'll wait till it becomes easily accessible. Now that I take a close look, there's the cute young male who played Tezuka in the PoT movie and musical. Not enough power but it's something eh?

I love Shinohara Ryoko, and I think her acting is super. I don't care if her drama doesn't have hot guys as long as the script is good and funny as Anego. With a good supporting cast and a good script, she can do anything. She has the best acting ability right now . Heck, I couldn't watch this as long as I don't hecka know how to dl torrent. Wait until people dl it and sell it .

Quote Originally Posted by Grifis
    Ryoko certainly looks gorgeous here. There goes that same gaijin who played Kiyora's sensei from Europe (in NC) on the very right side. This certainly sounds interesting since I also like @$$ kicking no nonsense main female character. However the lack of hotties certainly will delay my priority. I'll wait till it becomes easily accessible. Now that I take a close look, there's the cute young male who played Tezuka in the PoT movie and musical. Not enough power but it's something eh?
    That shot is a little deceptive because Ryoko's character Omae Haruko isn't presented as a glamorous, super-scale haken in the drama. There are no gaijin too (yet). Haha...I guess yes this would lack the pull for you. Tezuka must be Shirota Yuu. His role is small and his hair covers most of his face so even when he appears, you'll just be staring at a mop of hair and not quite the guy himself.

Haruko might sound quite detestable to some but I love her character. She never minces her words; never gets flustered; never lets people boss her around or tell her what to do (not even the head of the division, the fatherly Kirishima, gets his way); never works past lunchtime or overtime. She always anticipates what needs to be done; always has a sharp, sometimes witty retort handy especially when verbally sparring with people like Shoji; and always seems to perceive more than she lets on. She's only cool, nonchalant and business-like at work but when she's off, some part of that icy facade seems to melt away and she's utterly affable and warm-hearted (I thought I detected a bit of sadness too). An enigma?

That shot is a little deceptive because Ryoko's character Omae Haruko isn't presented as a glamorous, super-scale haken in the drama. There are no gaijin too (yet). Haha...I guess yes this would lack the pull for you. Tezuka must be Shirota Yuu. His role is small and his hair covers most of his face so even when he appears, you'll just be staring at a mop of hair and not quite the guy himself.
    Oh so he's Yuu. I didn't bother looking him up. He does look kind of good I guess but I wasn't taken by him or anything. Nevermind, I think I've seen enough mops of hair.

Haruko might sound quite detestable to some but I love her character. She never minces her words; never gets flustered; never lets people boss her around or tell her what to do (not even the head of the division, the fatherly Kirishima, gets his way); never works past lunchtime or overtime. She always anticipates what needs to be done; always has a sharp, sometimes witty retort handy especially when verbally sparring with people like Shoji; and always seems to perceive more than she lets on. She's only cool, nonchalant and business-like at work but when she's off, some part of that icy facade seems to melt away and she's utterly affable and warm-hearted (I thought I detected a bit of sadness too). An enigma?
    I would love her character too. From your description, Ryoko's Haruko in Haken is a mixture of Anego's Noda (who was a little too vulnerable) and Unfair's Natsumi (who was a little bit too extreme in a hypocritical way). The intriguing part of her character may very well be the different layers she possesses or the different aspects you get to see (which would make her whole or real). The description certainly sounds very appealing to me and if she does it well she might snatch another award this time. First time I saw Ryoko was in My magician with Hideaki Ito which was a very silly comedy (that I couldn't watch pass 2 eps). Needless to say, I didn't like her very much but in Anego she was solid. The one bit you mentioned that I found interesting is her passion for flamenco dancing. This can only mean she has to show some moves. Did you get to see that yet? Caps maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Grifis
    I would love her character too. From your description, Ryoko's Haruko in Haken is a mixture of Anego's Noda (who was a little too vulnerable) and Unfair's Natsumi (who was a little bit too extreme in a hypocritical way). The intriguing part of her character may very well be the different layers she possesses or the different aspects you get to see (which would make her whole or real) ... The one bit you mentioned that I found interesting is her passion for flamenco dancing. This can only mean she has to show some moves. Did you get to see that yet? Caps maybe?
    Given the way the story is developing, I do think later episodes will slowly unravel the facade Haruko has put up and show viewers why she's the way she is.

Grifis, huongduong and all who like Ryoko, here are the screen caps from the scene of her doing the flamenco at the end of ep1:

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m86/raven_frosts/Cantante.jpg')

hmm...thanks for the heads up jade frost, i'll definitely look out for this.
    U can choose 2 keep on doing wat u've been doing w/c means u'll keep on getting wat u've been getting or u can choose 2 accept that u do have wat it takes but u've been ff the wrong blueprint.-Ziglar

Screen caps from Haken no Hinkaku Ep1: Super Haken Appears

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m86/raven_frosts/Haken_ep1-1.jpg')
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m86/raven_frosts/Haken_ep1.jpg')

Okay, I caved and watched episode 1. Haruko is scary with the looks of death she gives people and when she cut, no, more like chopped her own hair. Oh and on the bus when she yanked Kensuke's tie to get him to give up his seat for an old lady. In reality, she's probably like a raw egg...hard on the outside, but soft on the inside. I wonder what happened to make her such a robot, albeit a very capable one?

Kato Ai is playing an annoying character yet again. She seems to be typecast for either incompetent, weak roles or whiny and irritating ones, and oftentimes a combo.

I liked how the drama tied up the ends of the first episode. In the beginning Haruko was in Spain, then at the end she was doing the flamenco dance!
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Okay, I caved and watched episode 1. Haruko is scary with the looks of death she gives people and when she cut, no, more like chopped her own hair. Oh and on the bus when she yanked Kensuke's tie to get him to give up his seat for an old lady. In reality, she's probably like a raw egg...hard on the outside, but soft on the inside. I wonder what happened to make her such a robot, albeit a very capable one?

Kato Ai is playing an annoying character yet again. She seems to be typecast for either incompetent, weak roles or whiny and irritating ones, and oftentimes a combo.

I liked how the drama tied up the ends of the first episode. In the beginning Haruko was in Spain, then at the end she was doing the flamenco dance!
    *SPOILERS AHEAD*

Haha. I hope you enjoyed watching it, Lady Zhuge. Haruko is scary, if only for a short while because as the episodes progress we know that deep inside she's quite capable of warmth, compassion, laugther and a whole range of other emotions that she never quite reveals at work. The only moments that I spied a crack in her armour while in the company of a co-worker was when she was with Kensuke in ep2 and ep3 but that was a very brief moment. The only people she's at ease with are her "family" at Cantante and, I believe, a few friends she has made from her previous temporary stints. Otherwise, she's inscrutable and always on her guard. We're also given to believe that she's almost a loner because she doesn't seem to form friendships or relationships with anyone. But I find this endearing compared to Kato Ai's Miyuki, whom I agree is thoroughly annoying.

In Haken no Hinkaku, she's everything rolled into one: incompetent, weak, whiny, trouble prone and with no mind of her own. And in ep3, I almost thought she was a kid because she said she needed companionship for lunch or she'd not be able to eat alone, and asked Haruko what "friends" and "pride" mean. Ugh, this is one character who should be given less screen time.

It's not surprising why the guys are all gradually drawn to Haruko. Even Shoji who resents her behaviour, largely due to a misunderstanding on his part and Haruko's unwillingness to clear it up, starts to see her in a different light. Kensuke, I say, is already a lost cause for it seemed like he was bewitched by her almost from the very start!!! ... Probably when she grabbed his necktie and yanked him out of the seat.

Yes, I enjoyed episode 1, which is why I went ahead and watched episodes 2 and 3 as well. I'm looking forward to episode 4, as 3 ended on a bit of a cliffhanger. How will Haruko react to Shoji's forwardness? This might be mine, personally: Okay, Shoji's not that bad, but I hope Kensuke has a shot at proving that nice guys don't always finish last.

You've described Haruko perfectly, jade. Haruko actually reminds me of a female Shinsuke from KDO in many ways. She's good at what she does, is rigid in her ways, doesn't form bonds easily, but definitely has a heart beneath it all.

Okay, slow me just noticed that Haruko's age is as mysterious as she is in this chart you posted above:

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m86/raven_frosts/Chart.jpg')
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Screen caps from Haken no Hinkaku Ep2: Pride and Hotchkiss

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m86/raven_frosts/Haken_ep2.jpg')
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m86/raven_frosts/Haken_ep2-1.jpg')

Yes, I enjoyed episode 1, which is why I went ahead and watched episodes 2 and 3 as well. I'm looking forward to episode 4, as 3 ended on a bit of a cliffhanger. How will Haruko react to Shoji's forwardness? This might be mine, personally: Okay, Shoji's not that bad, but I hope Kensuke has a shot at proving that nice guys don't always finish last.
    I'm impatiently awaiting episode 4 too! And I'm rooting for Kensuke.

Poor Kensuke had to witness the moment between Haruko and Shoji so I wonder how he'll react toward that and whether it will compel him to take any action of his own. It's so blatantly clear that Haruko's almost always on his mind, and he has seen and perceives aspects of her that Shoji hasn't but so far, he's only been made out to be a rather ineffectual marketing manager who's better at people relations than in strategic business relations. Well, that said, don't Haruko and Kensuke complement each other completely? (Some people were speculating a pairing of Kensuke and Miyuki by the scriptwriters. Nooooooooo way!!!)

From the trailer for the next episode, I think Haruko had no reaction (outwardly) towards Shoji and even danced with Ryuto to spite him when he came to look her up at Cantante because she curtly told him not to talk about love in office. As usual, the two of them never pass up on the chance to trade barbs with each other. Shoji called Haruko a blackhole in ep3 and in ep4 I think he calls her a lamp post. Evil! Haha.

Haruko actually reminds me of a female Shinsuke from KDO in many ways. She's good at what she does, is rigid in her ways, doesn't form bonds easily, but definitely has a heart beneath it all.

Okay, slow me just noticed that Haruko's age is as mysterious as she is in this chart you posted above.
    Yeah indeed! One wonders what she has gone through to make her harden herself in such a manner. Her "mom" said Miyuki reminded her of a time when Haruko was younger.

I don't know why they chose to make that a mystery too but the normal trend in Japanese dramas is to have the actors and actress play characters close to their own age. Koizumi Kotaro for instance is 29 this year and his character Kensuke is 30. Shinohara Ryoko and Oizumi Yo are the same age, which makes them 34 this year.

I'm impatiently awaiting episode 4 too! And I'm rooting for Kensuke.

Poor Kensuke had to witness the moment between Haruko and Shoji so I wonder how he'll react toward that and whether it will compel him to take any action of his own. It's so blatantly clear that Haruko's almost always on his mind, and he has seen and perceives aspects of her that Shoji hasn't but so far, he's only been made out to be a rather ineffectual marketing manager who's better at people relations than in strategic business relations. Well, that said, don't Haruko and Kensuke complement each other completely? (Some people were speculating a pairing of Kensuke and Miyuki by the scriptwriters. Nooooooooo way!!!)

From the trailer for the next episode, I think Haruko had no reaction (outwardly) towards Shoji and even danced with Ryuto to spite him when he came to look her up at Cantante because she curtly told him not to talk about love in office. As usual, the two of them never pass up on the chance to trade barbs with each other. Shoji called Haruko a blackhole in ep3 and in ep4 I think he calls her a lamp post. Evil! Haha.
    It airs every Wednesday night in Japan, right? There's not much longer to wait...

Thanks for the screencaps, jade. More of Kensuke, please! I find myself thinking of how much he sometimes reminds me of another actor I really like. From the preview of episode 4, he doesn't seem to have much screentime, though. It's frustrating, but Kensuke is the type who'd probably back off if a friend of his was interested in the same woman he's interested in rather than rise to the challenge of competition. Oh yes, he and Haruko would indeed complement each other well. If you added the two of them, then divided by two, the result wouldn't be far from perfection. Kensuke and Miyuki...? Gah, no!!! But I can certainly see Miyuki falling for Kensuke while Asano seems to have a thing for Miyuki. Ultimately it'll all come down to who Haruko ends up developing the hots for and hopefully it won't turn out to be fulfillment of the overused romantic formula of gradual love developing from initial annoyance/hatred.

I don't know why they chose to make that a mystery too but the normal trend in Japanese dramas is to have the actors and actress play characters close to their own age. Koizumi Kotaro for instance is 29 this year and his character Kensuke is 30. Shinohara Ryoko and Oizumi Yo are the same age, which makes them 34 this year.
    I was just wondering if the ? has to do with her character since she's almost portrayed in a superhero(ine) kind of light (like when she walks down the street, a mysterious wind surrounds her, some triumphant music plays, and everyone else gets out of the way, etc.). I have no clue how old Wonder Woman is or if her age has ever been revealed.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")