Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Oscar Race 2006

I live out of a suitcase, but the heart is at home on the lake.

Default Oscar Winners

Some highlights of last night's Oscar winners for people who didn't get to watch the program:

Best Picture: The Departed
    Best Director: Martin Scorsese, the Departed (Its about time!!!)
    Best Actor: Forest Whitaker, The Last King of Scotland (Damn, I missed out on his acceptant speech. Yay! Will Smith didn't win)
    Best Actress: Helen Mirren, The Queen
    Best Supporting Actor: Alan Arkin, Little Miss Sunshine (Who? I've never seen or heard of him b4)
    Best Supporting Actress: Jennifer Hudson, Dreamgirls (No surprises here!)
    Best Animated Feature Film: Happy Feet (What happens to Car?????)
    Foreign Language Film: The Lives of Others
    Documentary Short Film: The Blood of Yingzhou District
    Documentary Feature: An Inconvenient Truth
    Writing Adapted Screenplay: The Departed
    Cinematography: Pan’s Labyrinth
    Short Film (Animated): The Danish Poet

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky The Wise Who Predicted for Leo
    that avatar...too bad bella's going to be saying goodbye soon
    lol Net you should've backed out when there was still time. Why didn't you listen to the oh-so-wise Sparky?
    your prediction didn't come true either - how are you wise in this sense?
    And Bella isn't going away... shes just busy with the kids at the moment..
    If you don't like my flag, then you can kiss my rebel a55

Quote Originally Posted by bellamia
    Best Supporting Actor: Alan Arkin, Little Miss Sunshine (Who? I've never seen or heard of him b4)
    You haven't? He's been in the business for a long time.
    My obsessions: Joy Division, New Order, Bones, The Office.

Do bears bear? Do bees bee?

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky
    I wouldn't have minded if Ryan Gosling won either...I do feel bad for those who've been nominated so many times, like Kate Winslet and, oh yes, Peter O'Toole.
    I do feel for Peter O'Toole, he's Lawrence of Arabia for crying out loud and never won the Oscar?!?
    My obsessions: Joy Division, New Order, Bones, The Office.

Do bears bear? Do bees bee?

Quote Originally Posted by Net the Unwise Who Predicted Will Smith Would Win
    your prediction didn't come true either - how are you wise in this sense?
    And Bella isn't going away... shes just busy with the kids at the moment..
    I never predicted that. When trying to give you some decent and WISE advice after you made that bet with bella...
    That said, I don't think Will Smith is going to win because Forest Whitaker is getting all of the critical acclaim.
    I obviously realized Whitaker was going to win. I just wanted Leo to win. There's a difference between who you want to win, and who you know is going to win.

Oh yes, Net, I get that you made a bet with bella, but why do your avatars have to look so similar? Remind me, was that part of the bet too? I hope you don't gamble Every time I look at it I think it's bellamia, I read the post and I'm like, "she's in a bad mood" but then I realize it could only be you.

Quote Originally Posted by Cancuck21
    You haven't? He's been in the business for a long time.
    I'm actually really glad Alan Arkin won. He was nominated way back in 1967. It's about time. Him and Martin Scorcese (how many times can you get snubbed?). And I loved Little Miss Sunshine.
    I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know? -Ernest Hemingway

Oh yes, Net, I get that you made a bet with bella, but why do your avatars have to look so similar? Remind me, was that part of the bet too? I hope you don't gamble Every time I look at it I think it's bellamia, I read the post and I'm like, "she's in a bad mood" but then I realize it could only be you.
    that was part of the wager - have the winner's avatar with the inscription...

Some highlights of last night's Oscar winners for people who didn't get to watch the program:

Best Picture: The Departed
    Best Director: Martin Scorsese, the Departed (Its about time!!!)
    Best Actor: Forest Whitaker, The Last King of Scotland (Damn, I missed out on his acceptant speech. Yay! Will Smith didn't win)
    Best Actress: Helen Mirren, The Queen
    Best Supporting Actress: Jennifer Hudson, Dreamgirls (No surprises here!)
    Best Animated Feature Film: Happy Feet (What happens to Car?????)
    Foreign Language Film: The Lives of Others
    Documentary Short Film: The Blood of Yingzhou District
    Documentary Feature: An Inconvenient Truth
    Writing Adapted Screenplay: The Departed
    Cinematography: Pan’s Labyrinth
    Short Film (Animated): The Danish Poet
    It seems that Iwo Jima and Clint Eastwood totally got snubbed.

Quote Originally Posted by strawberry
    It seems that Iwo Jima and Clint Eastwood totally got snubbed.
    how is he snubbed? Clint Eastwood won a few oscars already..

I actually felt bad for Peter O toole. The man is already at this age and yet he didn't win one yet

and Kate! She got nominated 5-6 times? She never won one.

and this OScar business... it felt like British invasion
    SPCNET07 Duets and Solo's for Summer 2007! Come and listen

www.soundclick.com/spcnet07

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar
    I actually felt bad for Peter O toole. The man is already at this age and yet he didn't win one yet
    I know! The poor guy. Only Forest Whitaker was so good it would've been a tragedy if he didn't win. And his acceptance speech! Okay, so his public speaking skills could use work (reading off a paper), but its content brought me to tears! Really very genuine speech.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar
    and Kate! She got nominated 5-6 times? She never won one.
    I don't feel as bad for Kate - she's only 31 and she's been nominated 5 times. Now keep in mind she's only made around 30 films, some of which she's done the voice for, so she couldn't get nominated - that's one nomination every 6 films! I think Kate, while not my fave actress, is incredibly talented and this girl is going to win that Oscar sooner or later.

Quote Originally Posted by NetDriftr
    I didn't protest then, not that it was my business, so I guess I must hold my peace now. Gee bella, why must I suffer because Net lost? How about you invert the colours?
    I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know? -Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky The Public Speaker
    I know! The poor guy. Only Forest Whitaker was so good it would've been a tragedy if he didn't win. And his acceptance speech! Okay, so his public speaking skills could use work (reading off a paper), but its content brought me to tears! Really very genuine speech.
    he was overwhelmed! can u remember what you want to say when you're in that state Sparky-O ?

he was overwhelmed! can u remember what you want to say when you're in that state Sparky-O ?
    I would probably cry like Nicole Kidman did and lose my mind and start thanking the wrong people ("I'd like to thank Net for always offering constructive criticism, thanks to the Alpha Centauri for my wonderful husband Guo Pinchao"). It's just that his speech was so genuine, but the reading off the piece of paper made it seem so much less natural.

i don't remember this part of the condition - the wager only requires the losing party to change his/her avatar to read the stated inscription. LOL! though, i don't mind u taking on the "green rose" identity.

just a random thought, not every society requires the wife to take on the husband's sir name.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky-Orathon
    I didn't protest then, not that it was my business, so I guess I must hold my peace now. Gee bella, why must I suffer because Net lost? How about you invert the colours?...
    If u're going to hold ur peace, then cease ur whining, missy!

I’m contemplating to change my avatar, but since it bothers u so much i'm going to leave it.

I’m contemplating to change my avatar, but since it bothers u so much i'm going to leave it.
    Fine, be that way. I'll just mistake Net for you and eventually think that you have no common sense and are always in a bad mood. The number on your sig is incorrect again, by the way.

But to turn around the blame, gee, Net, why'd you have to lose and make me suffer?

Fine, be that way. I'll just mistake Net for you and eventually think that you have no common sense and are always in a bad mood. The number on your sig is incorrect again, by the way.

I asked Bellamia about the avatars last night. She never answered me, I think its their secret. Bellamia dear, I told you that you can't leave SPCNET. You're way too attached to Net, you'd be missing him way too much. Just save yourself the pain and take the signature off.

Quote Originally Posted by LuNaR
    theres an asian short documentary film that won. something about AIDs
    It's about a little kid whose parents both died of AIDS and how his village tried to take care of him (out of sense of duty) yet was scared to death to go near him (and such). Not a upper, as they say.
    春花秋月几时了,
    往事知多少?
    小楼昨夜又东风,
    故国不堪回首明月中.
    雕栏玉砌应犹在,
    只是朱颜改.
    问君能有几多愁,
    恰似一江春水向东流.
    --南唐后主,李煜.

But to turn around the blame, gee, Net, why'd you have to lose and make me suffer?
    ur incessant whining only allows Net to have more reason to gloat! I’m trying to do u a favor here, woman!

And oh yea, the "common sense" is to look at the texts on Net's avatar and realize that there's a vast difference between my avatar and his. i don't think the similarity is that confusing, as you've claimed. I suggest an eye exam, perhaps.

ur incessant whining only allows Net to have more reason to gloat! I’m trying to do u a favor here, woman!

And oh yea, the "common sense" is to look at the texts on Net's avatar and realize that there's a vast difference between my avatar and his. i don't think the similarity is that confusing, as you've claimed. I suggest an eye exam, perhaps.
    My incessant whining clearly has provoked you...my goal is achieved

GuGu is right - something's going on between bella and Net...bella should be Ji Xiaofu after all.

Quote Originally Posted by GuGu1995
    I asked Bellamia about the avatars last night. She never answered me, I think its their secret. Bellamia dear, I told you that you can't leave SPCNET. You're way too attached to Net, you'd be missing him way too much. Just save yourself the pain and take the signature off.
    missy, i didn't answer ur question becos i was occupied not because there's some sort of secrets. Net and I had a wager, and i'm satisfied that he'd delievered part of his bargain, respectively (i would have done the same if i was on the losing end)

btw, the signature will be revised becos i know that u're coming back...

My incessant whining clearly has provoked you...my goal is achieved

GuGu is right - something's going on between bella and Net...bella should be Ji Xiaofu after all.
    LOL! why do i feel like i'm in high school all over again?