Thread: Who do you wish would have returned in the story?

Default Who do you wish would have returned in the story?

One thing I enjoy very much about Jin Yong's stories is that (secondary) characters, after one segment of involvement in the plot, often make a return later in the story. For example, in DGSD the Four Evils were involved in chapters 3 to 9, then made a return around chapter 16, then later around chapter 22, then later around chapter 32, etc. However not all characters return when you wish they would. Who are some such characters who failed to return in the story when you wished they would have made a return?

For me personally, it would be... surprise, SWORD GOD Zhuo Bufan whose involvement ended abruptly. I cannot help but wonder what happened to him afterwards. Maybe 30 more years of practice in the mountain for the ultimater pursuit of perfection in the field of swordplay?
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by PJ
    One thing I enjoy very much about Jin Yong's stories is that (secondary) characters, after one segment of involvement in the plot, often make a return later in the story. For example, in DGSD the Four Evils were involved in chapters 3 to 9, then made a return around chapter 16, then later around chapter 22, then later around chapter 32, etc. However not all characters return when you wish they would. Who are some such characters who failed to return in the story when you wished they would have made a return?

For me personally, it would be... surprise, SWORD GOD Zhuo Bufan whose involvement ended abruptly. I cannot help but wonder what happened to him afterwards. Maybe 30 more years of practice in the mountain for the ultimater pursuit of perfection in the field of swordplay?
    ARe you suggesting that ZBF = DGKB???

Han Solo

ZBF was very disprited because of losing to Xu Zhu. He realized that reaching the peak of perfection in swordsmanship *only* was NOT enough to defeat the opponents whose *internal energy* was SUPER-HIGH.
    So, IMO, he would most likely have become a eunuch in the Purple Forbidden City of the Song dynasty then invented the Sunflower manuscript, an extremely elite technique for inner cultivation.
    Last edited by Huang Rong; 01-24-07 at 10:04 PM.
    Yang Guo & Zhou Botong said in Chapters 6, 11 & 25 of ROCH:
    - 这道姑也算得美了,只是还不及桃花岛郭伯母,更加不及我姑姑。
    - 原来郭伯母竟是这般美貌,小时候我却不觉得。
    - 龙姑娘,我瞧你品貌才智,和那小黄蓉不相上下,武功也跟她差不离。

Quote Originally Posted by Huang Rong
    ZBF was very disprited because of losing to Xu Zhu. He realized that reaching the peak of perfection in swordsmanship *only* was NOT enough to defeat the opponents whose *internal energy* was SUPER-HIGH.
    So, IMO, he would most likely have become a eunuch in the Purple Forbidden City of the Song dynasty then invented the Sunflower manuscript, an extremely elite technique for inner cultivation.
    Great theory. Fits well with the confirmation that Sunflower Manuscript is a SWORD art!!

Now we just need to explain why SWORD GOD Zhuo Bufan ended up in the government. Anyone care to take a stab at bridging the gap?

While experts are busy postulating how SWORD GOD established himself in the government, and thus invented the Sunflower Manuscript (see topic history)...

back to the topic, Who in wuxia do you wish would have returned later in the story, but never did?

Honestly, I think most characters that I wanted to return did return... but, alas, the one and the only who mattered the most, did not. SWORD GOD was never heard from again by Jin Yong's pen. Only we can imagine what may have been...

lol @ Sword God... btw I think he deserves a Wikipedia page. Even Ah Zhi gets her own page. What the heck.

Don't read if you're reading the HSDS translation or don't know the storyline!

click to show/hide spoilers
    For me, I think Fan Yao. Actually, my memory's a bit hazy on HSDS, but in case my memory is right on this, Fan Yao sort of disappears from the story, correct? I rather liked his character :\
    Last edited by dewyloony123; 12-27-07 at 01:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    While experts are busy postulating how SWORD GOD established himself in the government, and thus invented the Sunflower Manuscript (see topic history)...

back to the topic, Who in wuxia do you wish would have returned later in the story, but never did?

Honestly, I think most characters that I wanted to return did return... but, alas, the one and the only who mattered the most, did not. SWORD GOD was never heard from again by Jin Yong's pen. Only we can imagine what may have been...

Ah, but he was mentioned again! In ROCH and SOD!
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    Ah, but he was mentioned again! In ROCH and SOD!
    He was? Really?

And here I thought SWORD GOD contagion didn't spread beyond DGSD.

Zhu Baokun! I mean .... that guy had an entire identity written about him, covering all the important aspects like family, martial arts teachers, etc, etc, it's such as waste to see him go *blip*!
    Jin Yong's Ode to Gallantry [侠客行].
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    what about SPT, I need my SPT fix ASAP, pretty pleaseeeee...
    Soon ... SOON!

Sorry for disgressing from the current discussion.
    Answering the question, i will like xiao zhao to return to zwj in the later part of story. as wife not servant though.

Mount Olympus, sipping nectar and eating ambrosia

Ancient style Infernal Affairs with Zhu Baokun........ interesting.
    So huge, so hopeless, to conceive
    As these that twice befell
    Parting is all we know of heaven
    And all we need of hell.

Emily Dickinson (1830-1886)

Quote Originally Posted by dewyloony123 View Post
    lol @ Sword God... btw I think he deserves a Wikipedia page. Even Ah Zhi gets her own page. What the heck.
    Ya don't say.

Even Qin Hongmian has a dedicated Wikipedia page!

Ya don't say.

Even Qin Hongmian has a dedicated Wikipedia page!
    ::is scandalized:: Goodness me. Well, PJ, it seems you've got your work cut out for you

Quote Originally Posted by HuangYushi View Post
    Zhu Baokun! I mean .... that guy had an entire identity written about him, covering all the important aspects like family, martial arts teachers, etc, etc, it's such as waste to see him go *blip*!
    Who's Zhu Baokun?

Jin Yong's Ode to Gallantry [侠客行].
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    what about SPT, I need my SPT fix ASAP, pretty pleaseeeee...
    Soon ... SOON!

I would have liked to see HE WHO KILLS OTHERS AT SIGHT / OVERLORD OF THE STALLION Zhong Wanchou (he has 2 nicknames) return to DGSD. He was referenced a few times after disappearing, but I wish he would have appeared again.

I would like to see Yuan Chengzhi returns in DOMD as a member of Heaven Earth Society going after Kangxi.

Senior Member Mandred Skavenslayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    Sorry for disgressing from the current discussion.
    Answering the question, i will like xiao zhao to return to zwj in the later part of story. as wife not servant though.
    So nice to find a romantic. I agree that would be very good to see, especially if she comes back as a kick-*** fighter having spent years studying 乾坤大挪移.

Senior Member Mandred Skavenslayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    I would like to see Yuan Chengzhi returns in DOMD as a member of Heaven Earth Society going after Kangxi.
    Wouldn't make any difference, YCZ admired Huang Taiji and hesitated to kill him, he would have been even less inclined to kill an Emperor like Kangxi.