Thread: Handsomeness of Wei Xiaobao

Default Handsomeness of Wei Xiaobao

How handsome is Wei Xiaobao as described in the novel?
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

I don't think he was that attractive. Certainly not a Yeung Gor like in attractiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by wang23
    I don't think he was that attractive. Certainly not a Yeung Gor like in attractiveness.
    Wasn't Ah Or initial distaste reaction to WSB was his looks?

Quote Originally Posted by wang23
    but yeung gor only got 1 girl and maybe 4 girls with a crush on him. wxb got 7 girls and 50 eunuchs.... . ok sure yeung gor has a condor in love with him, but a condor is at most 3 eunuchs since 2 eunuch = 1 man, 1 animal = 1/2 a man, magical condor = 1 1/2 man at most.
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

its his mouth that got him everything
    Am i Crazy!?!?!?!
    [8888888][8888888][8888888][8888888][8888888][8888888]

Quote Originally Posted by PJ
    How handsome is Wei Xiaobao as described in the novel?
    first glance, not at all attractive

second look, there is something about him

third impression, he got the x factor

seriously, he is not someone you call handsome....but he is not ugly either.

Wai Siu Bo's entire story takes place when he is somewhat younger than any of the other Jin Yong main protagonists (isn't he not yet even eighteen at the end of DUKE OF MOUNT DEER?), so thinking in terms of how good looking he is seems almost a bit creepy to me.

He appeared at 13 and ended the story at 18. Some friend of his in the novel (I believe it was Kangxi) described his look as a monkey with bat face and mouse ears. It's from a Viet translation and those are Viet expressions so the original Chinese description would be technically different but it's safe to say that he's one fugly bastard.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Quote Originally Posted by Candide
    He appeared at 13 and ended the story at 18. Some friend of his in the novel (I believe it was Kangxi) described his look as a monkey with bat face and mouse ears. It's from a Viet translation and those are Viet expressions so the original Chinese description would be technically different but it's safe to say that he's one fugly bastard.
    I thought he looked like Yang Guo? I mean, he was Yang Guo in a previous incarnation right? And Liu Yifei even fell in love with him!

~ Edmund Lau

p/s - He also looked like Zhou Xun's brother in "The Banquet" right?
    Read my blogs at: Uncle Screwtape's Blogspot

Quote Originally Posted by Edmund Lau
    I thought he looked like Yang Guo? I mean, he was Yang Guo in a previous incarnation right? And Liu Yifei even fell in love with him!

~ Edmund Lau

p/s - He also looked like Zhou Xun's brother in "The Banquet" right?
    HAHAHA....That's good stuff.

Wai Siu Bo wasn't handsome, but I think he had something like aura/charisma and that's why he got so many girls.
    always smile

Quote Originally Posted by natuschan
    Wai Siu Bo wasn't handsome, but I think he had something like aura/charisma and that's why he got so many girls.
    WXB has charisma? ROFL! You have never read the novel then and only watched the adaptations with charming actors? Kangxi once wanted to give WXB a certain title but he changed his mind because WXB didn't have the charisma needed for it. Kangxi said he looked like a starving monkey and maybe when he got older and fatter he would look good enough for the role.

He got the girls because 1 he's extremely persistent, 2 he can talk his way into or out of any situation if he wants to and 3 he has a lot of dirty tricks up his sleeves. Nothing to do with his (nonexistent) attractiveness.

The whole point of this character WXB is that he's the total opposite of your ideal hero - the kind JY wrote so much about in his other novels. He's short, he's fugly, he's immoral, he's gutless, he plays dirty, he's lazy and he's terrible at learning martial arts (except qing-gong for running away). Jin Yong wrote that WXB has only one positive trait: he's fiercely loyal to his friends (influenced by the stories of brotherhood told by a local teacher he used to listen to, like Outlaws of the Marsh) and would never screw them over, even with the temptation of money and power.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Quote Originally Posted by natuschan
    well Tony Leung has charisma

Quote Originally Posted by Edmund Lau
    what are the chances he's going to also look like Zhang Wu Ji....

i was under the impression that he was not all that attractive, BUT because of his ability to talk his way through things.

Certainly nothing to Yang Kang and Yang Guo's good looks. Pity they had Zhou jie play Yang Kang in LOCH 02 talk about no charisma.

I thought WXB wasn't meant to be handsome either, since he was meant to be the opposite of Jinyong's average hero. And when you think about Jinyong's average hero (like Yang Guo), we've got handsome, charismatic, etc. But when you consider it, he had 7 wives, so he had to have something that attracted so many girls. And he was only 18 at the end of the book. How times have changed...

Quote Originally Posted by 0-0-0
    what are the chances he's going to also look like Zhang Wu Ji....
    Hmm after careful reasoning, I would say the chances are high.

Quote Originally Posted by 0-0-0
    Pity they had Zhou jie play Yang Kang in LOCH 02 talk about no charisma.
    Oh please don't remind me about Zhou Jie and Yang Kang...Zhou Jie already made a bad impression on me considering he overacted in his role as Er Kang in HZGG 1-3. I think watching him portray Yang Kang (who, last time I checked, was meant to be handsome) was much worse than Zhou Xun's voice. How'd we go from Miu Kiu Wai to Zhou Jie?
    I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know? -Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky
    Oh please don't remind me about Zhou Jie and Yang Kang...Zhou Jie already made a bad impression on me considering he overacted in his role as Er Kang in HZGG 1-3. I think watching him portray Yang Kang (who, last time I checked, was meant to be handsome) was much worse than Zhou Xun's voice. How'd we go from Miu Kiu Wai to Zhou Jie?
    Zhou Jie is the guy with "Dumbo-sized" ears and Cyrano de Bergerac's nose, right? Someone better warn him. "Hey, Zhou Jie, Dumbo wants his ears back and Cyrano wants his nose back!" Seriously, he was the number one reason why I avoided the Mainland LOCH!

~ Edmund Lau
    Read my blogs at: Uncle Screwtape's Blogspot

Quote Originally Posted by Candide View Post
    I dont think Wei Xiaobao was 18 at the end of story, at least he is 19-20 years old.