Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why didn't Wong Yung reach Great level?

Default Why didn't Wong Yung reach Great level?

Wong Yung is surrounded by a wealth of top martial arts, being that her father is Eastern Heretic, her master is Hong 7Gong, and she even knows 9 yin. But yet, she fails short of becoming Great, even though her intelligence is without equal. Why?

Realistically, She's the protagonist's wife. She has no choice but to observe the unwritten rule that her husband will need to be much better than her in terms of martial arts.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Her martial arts talent, though not poor, was limited. She wasn't Greats material.

Moreover, mastery of martial arts requires a dedicated application that Wong Yung was not willing to give for martial arts. She had too many fires to tend to, so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    Her martial arts talent, though not poor, was limited. She wasn't Greats material.

Moreover, mastery of martial arts requires a dedicated application that Wong Yung was not willing to give for martial arts. She had too many fires to tend to, so to speak.
    She had plenty of time to practice. Doesn't she realize that she could have protected her family much better if she had reach Great level? And fight alongside Gwok Jing as well. With those reasons, she should have been more dedicated to martial arts.

[sarcasm]Yeah, she ought to spend time polishing her kungfu to be better than 99% of the pugilists instead of just 90-95%. I mean, she sure wasted all that time formulating strategies and all[/sarcasm]

More to the point, we didn't exactly get to see her in great shape (pun intended) since she was either pregnant or recovering for a great deal of ROCH.

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoReverse
    [sarcasm]Yeah, she ought to spend time polishing her kungfu to be better than 99% of the pugilists instead of just 90-95%. I mean, she sure wasted all that time formulating strategies and all[/sarcasm]

More to the point, we didn't exactly get to see her in great shape (pun intended) since she was either pregnant or recovering for a great deal of ROCH.
    It's the top 10 % that people aught to worry There is a big gap of time between Guo Fu and Gwok Seung.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeung Gor
    She had plenty of time to practice. Doesn't she realize that she could have protected her family much better if she had reach Great level? And fight alongside Gwok Jing as well. With those reasons, she should have been more dedicated to martial arts.
    I don't think that's very desirable for a woman. Generally, women are less interested in martial arts than men. Except for a few oddballs and wackos like Guo Xiang (obsessed with a married man), Tianshan Tonglao (just plain weird), Lin Chaoying (proud and arrogant), and Ah Qing (otherworldly?). If a woman is "normal" chances are she won't be that interested in martial arts. At least, not at the expense of producing babies. Note that the above female sages all ended up alone, without family or kids, with nobody really loving them in their life time. The road to success is often a lonely one.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

In addition, when you have Gwok Jing as your husband, North Beggar as your master and East Heretic as your father, there is less incentive to learn martial arts. It's not like someone is going to pick on her.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeung Gor
    It wasn't a time issue as much as it was a lack of interest issue. Even in LOCH, it was evident that Wong Yung took no pleasure in the practice of martial arts. She learned what she needed to accomplish her goals.

Moreover, being as intelligent as she was, she knew that she could better achieve her goals (and by extension, Gwok Jing's) by contributing where she was strongest, which was *always* her mind, not her fighting skills. The goal of defending Seung Yeung was not going to come down to martial arts, but the better plan.

There's an old Chinese saying: "use one's strength to attack other's weaknesses."

I don't have Michael Jordan's basketball talent. I can never compete against him in a game of basketball. Michael Jordan, however, probably can't write a better essay than I can. If I were to compete against him in anything, I'd choose essay writing.

Similarly, Wong Yung didn't have extraordinary martial arts talent, so rather invest heavily into something that probably won't get her high returns, why not concentrate on what she's *good* at?

That's what a smart person would do.

Similarly, Wong Yung didn't have extraordinary martial arts talent, so rather invest heavily into something that probably won't get her high returns, why not concentrate on what she's *good* at?
    Maybe I am overestimated Wong Yung's talent, but I think she could be much better if she would put in the effort, esp in improving her inner power with 9 yin. From what I have seen in JY's universe, alot of main characters who encounter or get hold of a martial arts manual almost always have little problem learning them, it just doesn't seem right that Wong Yung couldn't do the same. So I would agree that it is mostlikely her lack of interests.

The goal of defending Seung Yeung was not going to come down to martial arts, but the better plan.
    In reality, it's true. But in wuxia, it might not be so. Just look at the amount of impact YG did to the Mongolians when he invade the Mongol camp cutting thousands of troops ears off, in the end kill GWM and the Khan. This shows how important martial arts can be.
    Last edited by Yeung Gor; 02-01-07 at 09:44 AM.

IIRC it was stated that she lacked the time plus pregnancy(busy with XY and beggar sect matters). That's why her inner power was inferior to QQR's sister(forgor her name) and a greats as well.
    wow..04-08....4 years just like that..time flies..

Moreover, being as intelligent as she was, she knew that she could better achieve her goals (and by extension, Gwok Jing's) by contributing where she was strongest, which was *always* her mind, not her fighting skills. The goal of defending Seung Yeung was not going to come down to martial arts, but the better plan.

There's an old Chinese saying: "use one's strength to attack other's weaknesses."

I don't have Michael Jordan's basketball talent. I can never compete against him in a game of basketball. Michael Jordan, however, probably can't write a better essay than I can. If I were to compete against him in anything, I'd choose essay writing.

Speaking of basketball, would it equate to a woman never being as good in basketball as males, cause they have children to worry about. Being pregnant is for all purposes considered an injury in sports.

Billie Jean King once defeated Arthur Ashe in a intergender tennis match. But of course, BJK was also a lesbian (though she did marry before to Larry King, no not that Larry King, just another one with the same name). I don't think she ever gave birth.

Back to the topic, if it wasn't for Wong Yung, there would never have been a strategy to fight against the Mongolians during the wulin meeting. (BTW, I assumed WY thought of it and not GJ, correct me if I am wrong).
    Last edited by Ken Cheng; 04-03-07 at 03:49 PM.

of course, learning a skill after just watching it once (or maybe twice) is most obviously not anything extraordinary...any old joe can manage that

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Ying Ying
    of course, learning a skill after just watching it once (or maybe twice) is most obviously not anything extraordinary...any old joe can manage that
    Wait, I never knew that...So the WY in the novel is able to do that too? I thought it was just her mother. I guess she incorporated that trait from her mom.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ
    Realistically, She's the protagonist's wife. She has no choice but to observe the unwritten rule that her husband will need to be much better than her in terms of martial arts.
    i think i agree with this answer the most... if she is better than guo jin then the whole novel wouldnt make sense cause it is about condor hero not condor heroine. guo jin is meant to be the best in LOCH by fate, cause the title is named after him
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

Quote Originally Posted by LuNaR
    i think i agree with this answer the most... if she is better than guo jin then the whole novel wouldnt make sense cause it is about condor hero not condor heroine. guo jin is meant to be the best in LOCH by fate, cause the title is named after him
    exactly!

if XLN (whose "name" took up part of the title) can waste her 16 years not making any improvements even when all she had to do all day long was sit there and stare into the blank at the botton of a valley/cave, then HR has all the right not to make spetacular improvements. Esp if she's gotta deal with ppl like GF & GJ...

Well XLN did have the whole posioned to the brink of death thing working against her....

And it's my fanboyism for XLN speaking out but I'm not too enitrely convinced that she didn't improve. I mean all we have to go on is an offhand remark she said before climbing a rope.

She had the Ice Jade bed and one has to assume that she did a lot of internal cultivation to cure her self, inaddition to the honey and white fish. Maybe she impvoed and didn't even know it....

Again my fanboyism talking.

Its almost like modern society. If you were married to the a wealthy man, would you ever consider working? In GJ's case, he has more fame than anyone, plus he was the greatest martial artist of his time. So she has protection and fame, why would she need to practice martial art?

Self-Edification.

It's not very good to define yourself by the success of others.
    It give the image of shallow Hollywood types.....

WY doesn't seem to be that kind of person.

Huang Rong didn't necessarily lacked talent, just that she had no real desire to learn more, otherwise, she could have been a powerhouse. Besides, even when she saw powerful MAs she didn't had any desire to probe deeper but when it interested her like parts of the nine-yin manual or even the dog-beating stick, she showed profound understanding. Huang Rong was also the resident fireman (?) dealing with the various wulin matters such as being chief of beggar clan and then non-wulin stuff such as pregnancy and motherhood. Her character is very likeable