Thread: martial arts level of Lu Xiaojia [Gu Long]

Default martial arts level of Lu Xiaojia [Gu Long]

Lu Xiaojia, the assassin in Bordertown Wanderer, how good is his kung fu compared to the main characters?
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by PJ
    Lu Xiaojia, the assassin in Bordertown Wanderer, how good is his kung fu compared to the main characters?
    He should be comparable to the Ye Kai and Fu HongXue of that period. When Lu XiaoJia attacked "The Stranger" (A Fei) with all his might, Fu HongXue observed and admitted that the attack was as fast as his own sabre. Of course, A Fei snapped Lu XiaoJia's sword in half like nothing. A Fei then went on to compliment all three, noting that they were not any lesser than him (and his peers) when he was their age.

The old TVB(?) series 'Black Sabre' had a fight between FHX and LXJ (not in novel) and had FHX winning. The movie (the one starring Ti Lung) also had a fight between these 2, with LXJ dying. Guess that gave some people a wrong impression.

I was so hoping for a fight between LXJ and FHX in the novel.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CC
    The old TVB(?) series 'Black Sabre' had a fight between FHX and LXJ (not in novel) and had FHX winning. The movie (the one starring Ti Lung) also had a fight between these 2, with LXJ dying. Guess that gave some people a wrong impression.

I was so hoping for a fight between LXJ and FHX in the novel.
    Being comparable can still mean one of them loses in the end. After all, between experts it is just one move that can decide the difference... or something to that effect.

I don't remember much of the movie, but I still recall the fight at the end of "The Black Sabre". I think it lasted fairly long, although not as long as some fights lasting all day + all night. I loved that adaptation, probably my favorite GL series. It captures the mood so well. I can't wait to pick it up if it ever comes out on DVD.

Quote Originally Posted by TigerWong
    Being comparable can still mean one of them loses in the end. After all, between experts it is just one move that can decide the difference... or something to that effect.

I don't remember much of the movie, but I still recall the fight at the end of "The Black Sabre". I think it lasted fairly long, although not as long as some fights lasting all day + all night. I loved that adaptation, probably my favorite GL series. It captures the mood so well. I can't wait to pick it up if it ever comes out on DVD.
    Is Lu Xiaojia the guy with two swords who was sent after Fu Hongxue? He was pretty powerful - easily a match for Ye Kai.

~ Edmund Lau
    Read my blogs at: Uncle Screwtape's Blogspot

Quote Originally Posted by Edmund Lau
    Is Lu Xiaojia the guy with two swords who was sent after Fu Hongxue? He was pretty powerful - easily a match for Ye Kai.

~ Edmund Lau
    The Ti Lung movie? Then yes, he was the cocky guy who only splits his sword when facing fearsome opponents. No one who saw his sword split had ever survived until FHX, so no one in Jiang Hu knows about the twin swords.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmund Lau

~ Edmund Lau
    He was Jing WuMing's student who loved to eat peanuts. I think there was only one part in the novel where he used two swords, but in general he just carried a single thin blade. Other than Ye Kai managing to steal some of his precious peanuts, I don't recall them really getting into any serious fights. But it is implied that the 3 young heroes are respectably matched.

Quote Originally Posted by TigerWong
    He was Jing WuMing's student who loved to eat peanuts. I think there was only one part in the novel where he used two swords, but in general he just carried a single thin blade. Other than Ye Kai managing to steal some of his precious peanuts, I don't recall them really getting into any serious fights. But it is implied that the 3 young heroes are respectably matched.
    My memory of GL characters are a bit doubtful these days. Couldn't really recall this guy except from the Ti Lung movie (which I loved very much). He was Jing Wu Ming's disciple? WOW! Then, he's easily a match for both Fu Hong Xue and Ye Kai.

~ Edmund Lau

I thought that movie was pretty bad...though i've never read/seen any prior adaptions. Sounds interesting though

Quote Originally Posted by tape
    I thought that movie was pretty bad...though i've never read/seen any prior adaptions. Sounds interesting though
    In the 1990s, following the success of Tsui Hark's "Swordman" (XAJH) movie, there were dozens of other wuxia movies following that new formula. More spectacular fight scenes, lots of desert or ocean, sweeping theme songs, etc. The earlier wuxia format perfected by Shaw Bros. in the 1970s (e.g. those directed by Chu Yuan or Chang Cheh) were largely forgotten. That Ti Lung movie was released in the midst of all the 1990s-wuxia and it was very, very serious. Not satirical like a lot of 90s cynical-wuxia. It was slow-paced, dark, with muted colors and moody background sounds (no sweeping themesong sung by Sam Hui or Sally Yeh). So for me, that movie was an homage to the Shaw Bros. wuxia movies - even more than "Kill Bill" was! The only thing missing was Gordon Liu!

~ Edmund Lau

Thanks for the explanation, I've never been a fan of Shaw Brothers films since I'm not of that generation really. Btw, am I the only person who likes Swordsman 1 with Sam Hui better than Swordsman 2 with Bridgette Lin?

I think that Swordsman I is more polished while Swordsman II is more exciting and frenetically paced. Plus, Swordsman II was the movie which captured Dongfang Bubai's invincibility and made a new star out of Asia's #1 beauty.

Speaking of fight scenes in BLACK SABRE... I recall a fight between 2 guys which involved clashing swords while sitting in a chair and slowly descending down a cliff! Was that between Lu Xiaojia and the evil guy Ma?

Quote Originally Posted by PJ
    Speaking of fight scenes in BLACK SABRE... I recall a fight between 2 guys which involved clashing swords while sitting in a chair and slowly descending down a cliff! Was that between Lu Xiaojia and the evil guy Ma?
    Yep, that was Lu XiaoJia vs. Ma KongQun. I don't think that really happened in the novel either. Alright... I know we seem to be discovering a lot of things that never happened in the story, but for the most part, the adaptation was pretty accurate. Maybe my judgment of "accuracy" is clouded by how well the mood and music fit the way I've always envisioned the novel. Except I think they could have found a more suitable actor for Ye Kai.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmund Lau View Post
    So for me, that movie was an homage to the Shaw Bros. wuxia movies - even more than "Kill Bill" was! The only thing missing was Gordon Liu!

~ Edmund Lau
    If i had to shoot a DGSD movie, I would definitely try to get Gordon Liu as Sweeper Monk. (i know Sweeps is not a muscleman but heck!)

Or Jiumozhi!

The Swordsman series got too over the top after the first one. Its only Lin Ching Hsia who saved the day. And that Eunuch from Swordsman 1 was perfect!
    Last edited by CC; 08-24-09 at 05:07 AM.

W/regards to the original topic, it is implied in the novel (by Lu Xiaojia himself) that Lu Xiaojia was afraid of Ye Kai. Thus, although he was on the same level as Ye Kai, it would seem likely that he was slightly inferior.

Fu Hongxue, as well, appeared to be slightly inferior.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing View Post
    W/regards to the original topic, it is implied in the novel (by Lu Xiaojia himself) that Lu Xiaojia was afraid of Ye Kai. Thus, although he was on the same level as Ye Kai, it would seem likely that he was slightly inferior.

Fu Hongxue, as well, appeared to be slightly inferior.
    I definitely do not think LXJ and FHX were on the same level as Ye Kai.

GL made it quite clear IMHO. Example, when FHX saw (actually he didn't see, which is the point) YK release his dagger, he seemed troubled, as if he knew he couldnt quite handle it. Its probably part of GL's Little Li Flying Dagger bias.

Maybe the end novel (Tian Ya Ming Yue Dao) FHX reached the same level of Shen Lang, Little Li etc though.