Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some constructive criticism on Wuxiapedia: a thought for improvement

Default Some constructive criticism on Wuxiapedia: a thought for improvement

This is meant to be constructive criticism, so I hope those in charge at Wuxiapedia will take it as such.

Lately, many of my questions here are being directed to Wuxiapedia. It's a wealth of information that does contain the answers I'm searching for.

Unfortunately, I almost never find these answers without a direct link because the information on Wuxiapedia is organized in a manner that's difficult for me to follow.

I don't know what it is exactly, but something about Wuxiapedia's current navigational configuration just makes it difficult for me to find specific topics. For example, I'm currently searching for information about Deun Yu's Bak Ming Sun Gung victims. I've searched under "Characters," "DGSD," and I think "Juxian Lou" and I still haven't found what I'm looking for.

I've been a bit discouraged from using Wuxiapedia not because I don't trust in the quality of the information there, but because its current layout has made things really difficult for me to find.

Any suggestions on how that can be improved?

While a search function would be nice, most of the information that you need would be in the annotated DGSD summaries and also articles written by HYS.

Btw, the answer you need is in the other thread.

Han Solo

The search function is disabled as it's shit and I'm getting a new one. The site is also being redesigned (slow progress since I've been very busy).

You can still search the site though by typing this in Google: "site:wuxiapedia.com keywords" without the quotes.

I don't know what it is exactly, but something about Wuxiapedia's current navigational configuration just makes it difficult for me to find specific topics. For example, I'm currently searching for information about Deun Yu's Bak Ming Sun Gung victims. I've searched under "Characters," "DGSD," and I think "Juxian Lou" and I still haven't found what I'm looking for.
    That's too specific to be organised into any category. It's one of those "ask an expert" types of questions, and is more suitable for a forum like this. Still, I believe Yushi has done a list of that in his DGSD summaries.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Quote Originally Posted by Candide
    It's one of those "ask an expert" types of questions, and is more suitable for a forum like this.
    Which is all well and good, Candide, but as you've seen, when I do that, I've been getting, "go look on Wuxiapedia" replies.

Which leaves me up a creek, you know?

Most of them are telling you to read the novel translations, mate. It's not that hard to find them on Wuxiapedia.

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

think ken will only read it in 2010 when all 3 of LOCH, ROCH and HSDS is fully translated... ken does that include DGSD also??
    TaZzY InC

Quote Originally Posted by Tazzy1972
    think ken will only read it in 2010 when all 3 of LOCH, ROCH and HSDS is fully translated... ken does that include DGSD also??
    Not necessarily, although it would irk me a bit to be reading the DGSD translation and realize, "Damn! The CONDOR HEROES TRILOGY translations aren't ready yet!"

I'm a completist, and I don't like to start what I can't finish.

so that would not be a trilogy, more a quadilogy
    TaZzY InC

To candide and HYS,

What is your opinion on storing the few important essays that appeared here on wuxiapedia?

I'm referring to the various threads that explains about formlessness etc that i thought was fantastic and just need someone to consolidate it into a true essay.

Han Solo

Quote Originally Posted by Han Solo
    ... just need someone to consolidate it into a true essay.
    And that could also just be the most time-consuming part of all ... and if that someone -- or someones -- can be found, sure, we'd love to have it on Wuxiapedia.
    Jin Yong's Ode to Gallantry [侠客行].
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    what about SPT, I need my SPT fix ASAP, pretty pleaseeeee...
    Soon ... SOON!

Quote Originally Posted by HuangYushi
    And that could also just be the most time-consuming part of all ... and if that someone -- or someones -- can be found, sure, we'd love to have it on Wuxiapedia.
    So ladies and gentlemen,

If you want to showcase your knowledge, or at least your name at the premier wuxia literature site on the net, then pls submit an essay consolidated from the vast archive of threads at SPCNET's wuxia fiction.

To ease your burden, i would suggest searching for terms like formlessness or sword theories, and also using the search terms of Laviathian, Athena, or even me, because we had a few great discussion on that topic (tried to search my own posts for 10 min but was still in posts made in 2006 )

Han Solo

I apologise for reviving a long forgotten and dead topic. However, I felt it more appropriate to do so than start a new thread.

Could I now what's the status of the site? There doesn't seem to be much updates recently. Is the site still being work on?

I'm interested to help out. I'm not an expert in wuxia knowledge (a far cry from many veterans here, I know) but I do have some knowledge of web design. I hope to do my part for the community.

I had plans to start a site with information of the various Wuxia novels eg. character, location, world (of different authors, or eras even). But those ideas were put aside when I found Wuxiapedia. Still, I noticed that there aren't too much details on these aspects.

Is Wuxiapedia more focussed on translations or are there plans of adding such information? Or is there a lack of sources for such information, thus the lack of their inclusion?

I don't want to waste resources by starting off on another site altogether, when there are overlaps with Wuxiapedia and collaboration would actually reap more rewards.

I hope I'm not stepping on any toes here. I'm still new around here and wet behind the ears. ^^;

Yep I'm supposed to be working on updates and a new version of the site, but I've been a lazy bugger and life intervened. I'll answer your questions later (at work right now).

Oh alright. I'll look forward to your reply then. ^^

Quote Originally Posted by jayjenxi View Post
    Oh alright. I'll look forward to your reply then. ^^
    Hello jayjenxi

I'm writing on behalf of Candide, who sprained a wrist earlier today and now finds it a bit more challenging than usual to use a keyboard.

There are several large areas of work in progress at Wuxiapedia.com right now, including (but not limited to) new and continued/on-going translations, novel annotations that cover detailed information on characters, events, martial arts and other aspects of wuxia novels, as well as articles that discuss, explain and analyse novel content.

One of the best ways to contribute to Wuxiapedia.com is to be a reader for content accuracy. This role, which requires a dedicated individual who can read at least 3,000 Chinese characters and is fluent in written English, involves checking specific novel translations for content accuracy (e.g. 十二里 is not '20 miles', and 一色黑衣 is not 'dressed in white'), grammatical correctness and expressive flow.

Hope that helps.

Yours sincerely
    Yushi HUANG
    Senior Editor
    Wuxiapedia.com
    Jin Yong's Ode to Gallantry [侠客行].
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    what about SPT, I need my SPT fix ASAP, pretty pleaseeeee...
    Soon ... SOON!

I hope Candide's wrist recovers soon ^^

I am of Chinese descent and am fluent in Chinese. I think I'm rather fluent in English as well. I'm actually aspiring to be a novelist writing wuxia and science fiction in the English language. I'm ashamed to say, I write better in English than in Chinese.

I would be very wiling to take up such a task. I have come across some rather badly translated terms in print. The pride for my culture and language has spurred me to try and correct such mistakes, albeit minor at times. There's nothing I can do about those books but I guess I can make a difference on wuxiapedia.

The site doesn't seem to have been updated recently, or at least there isn't any signs of it being updated. Are all the work being done behind the scenes or are edits made without any notification of such changes?
    Last edited by jayjenxi; 02-08-08 at 04:55 AM.

Just a stupid question but since it's already been a long time... will there be updates on Wuxiapedia?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Not necessarily, although it would irk me a bit to be reading the DGSD translation and realize, "Damn! The CONDOR HEROES TRILOGY translations aren't ready yet!"
    HYS tells me that the LOCH translation is done and is under revision. I guess we can read LOCH and ROCH later this year

Quote Originally Posted by WesY2K View Post
    Just a stupid question but since it's already been a long time... will there be updates on Wuxiapedia?
    Yes, there will. I'm just having so much on my plate atm.

That are great news. I thought maybe you had given up or something with the lack of updates...