Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 32 of 32

Thread: "Official Organized Debates"

  1. #21
    Moderator Ken Cheng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    22,613

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ren Ying Ying View Post
    You mean GJ vs. YG?
    Yeah...I wasn't talking about Internet sex.

    Although Gwok Jing vs. Yeung Gor debates just might be BTS.

    Maybe.

  2. #22
    Senior Member Extremer88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    LOHAH - Land of Honour & Happiness
    Posts
    2,405

    Post

    These debates games actually can be quite fun.
    ..ext88

  3. #23
    Senior Member ChanceEncounter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,286

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HuangYushi View Post
    Weights could be assigned to the different criteria, for example:
    - Persuasive argument: 10%
    - Style: 10%
    - Humour: 10%
    - Rebuttal: 10%
    - Accuracy: 60% (has to be more than 50%).

    The weights above were *randomly assigned for the purpose of illustration*, but if the weightage of Accuracy is high enough, any "win" by a debater who is weak in the knowledge of the novel content (and/or poor in research, for that matter) would simply be one of skill in persuasive argument, instead of true wuxia knowledge, especially if the points are posted for all to see.
    This gives too much emphasis on "accuracy," which is nebulous at best. Most of the topics debated have no clear answer. Also, giving a dedicated 10% to "humour" is a bit too much. While humour in and of itself is great, it's not enough to reward a debater for it. A humourless debater can still be incredibly formidable and straightforward, and humour is ultimately irrelevant in creating a cogent argument. A rebuttal of 10% is also a bit vague, as any good debater will continuously concede and rebute. It's part of the overall scheme of the argument.

    I would say 20% accuracy, 20% clarity and style, 30% persuasiveness, and 30% inventiveness. Good debaters are able to think quickly on their feet, be quick at answering questions, and are able to respond to and create things out of left field.
    </div>

  4. #24
    Senior Member Ren Ying Ying's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    hell in the middle of nowhere
    Posts
    3,240

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChanceEncounter View Post
    I would say 20% accuracy, 20% clarity and style, 30% persuasiveness, and 30% inventiveness. Good debaters are able to think quickly on their feet, be quick at answering questions, and are able to respond to and create things out of left field.
    </div>
    but given this is a forum...we'd have to give them at least a few days leeway.

  5. #25
    Senior Member ChanceEncounter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,286

    Default

    Yes, the thought process isn't so much as ensuring that they post quickly, but that whatever they post is clear, concise, and yet fluid and inventive, instead of just a boring, generic argument.

  6. #26
    Senior Member Ren Ying Ying's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    hell in the middle of nowhere
    Posts
    3,240

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChanceEncounter View Post
    Yes, the thought process isn't so much as ensuring that they post quickly, but that whatever they post is clear, concise, and yet fluid and inventive, instead of just a boring, generic argument.
    thus, Chancey should just join the "Han Solo's official GJ vs YG debate" for fun

  7. #27
    Senior Member PJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    18,371

    Default

    I would like to participate in a debate to prove, with nothing but evidence from the novel, that Miao Renfeng and 5th tier fighters from HSDS are as strong as Xiao Feng, Yang Guo, etc. Anyone want to join my side of the debate?
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

  8. #28
    Senior Member Ren Ying Ying's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    hell in the middle of nowhere
    Posts
    3,240

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    I would like to participate in a debate to prove, with nothing but evidence from the novel, that Miao Renfeng and 5th tier fighters from HSDS are as strong as Xiao Feng, Yang Guo, etc. Anyone want to join my side of the debate?
    i would...but i'm not sure of everyone else, dear

    but since we're testing out the debates anyway, you should help the cause and join the GJ vs. YG one for now

  9. #29
    Senior Member PJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    18,371

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ren Ying Ying View Post
    i would...but i'm not sure of everyone else, dear

    but since we're testing out the debates anyway, you should help the cause and join the GJ vs. YG one for now
    The only thing I'm interested in proving about GJ and YG is that they are not better than Miao Renfeng

    GJ and YG have been discussed to death. I could careless about who wins. We need a breath of fresh air, or as the mighty CC once expressed: Go PJ! Stir that pot of crap harder!
    Last edited by PJ; 07-15-08 at 04:09 PM.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    6,638

    Default

    60% accuracy! that will kill the people that didnt read the book
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

    http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

    Entries due July 31st, 2016!

  11. #31
    Senior Member Ren Ying Ying's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    hell in the middle of nowhere
    Posts
    3,240

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    The only thing I'm interested in proving about GJ and YG is that they are not better than Miao Renfeng

    GJ and YG have been discussed to death. I could careless about who wins. We need a breath of fresh air, or as the mighty CC once expressed: Go PJ! Stir that pot of crap harder!
    neither do I, nor does the "debate" prove anything about GJ or YG. i personally would prefer another topic, but heck, we need something to start off with

    and because it's been discussed to death, it should be an easy debate since all the research has already been done for you. all you need to do it give it a little organization and skill

    and the greatness is that...you don't even have to beleive what you're arguing for
    Last edited by Ren Ying Ying; 07-15-08 at 06:07 PM.

  12. #32
    Senior Member PJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    18,371

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ren Ying Ying View Post
    and the greatness is that...you don't even have to beleive what you're arguing for
    With me, That's a given
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 36
    Last Post: 05-03-11, 10:22 PM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-18-08, 03:36 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-09-08, 04:12 PM
  4. The official "How good is Huang Shang" thread
    By PJ in forum Wuxia Fiction
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 12-24-07, 02:13 PM
  5. [B]Chow Yun-Fat "Fired" from "Battle of Red Cliff"[/B]
    By maverick911 in forum Entertainment News
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-24-07, 02:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •