View Poll Results: Do you return to a forum under a new username after being permanently banned?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

5 18.52%
  • No

14 51.85%
  • That depends

8 29.63%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Do you return to a forum under a new username after being permanently banned?

Quote Originally Posted by C Monster View Post
    Just today. I was never dead to begin with. As Mark Twain once said, "The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated."
    Well, welcome back to the land of the living.

And as I've been browbeating the rest of the forum to do during the past year or so, READ MY GUNDAM FANFIC (see links in signature)!

Default banned but still using the forum

I am quite sure that I have seen the word banned under a user id and yet he/she was posting to the forum happily. I was quite curious how the person could do it. May be not in spcnet.

Quote Originally Posted by bella25 View Post
    I am quite sure that I have seen the word banned under a user id and yet he/she was posting to the forum happily. I was quite curious how the person could do it. May be not in spcnet.
    Not at SPCNET. Some V-Bulletin Administrators allow users the option of editing their own User Titles, so they can type "Banned" or anything else they want there. I don't think SC gives users of SPCNET Forums this option.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Here's my personal opinion on bannings and returnings. It does not necessarily reflect SC's views on the matter...just how I see it.

The moderators at SPCNET try to be fair to all members. SPAMmers aside, we generally don't ban members until a long pattern of uncooperative, disruptive behavior has been observed. The moderators typically discuss a member's problems for a period of time before considering banning. Sometimes, this process goes on for months.

After a ban has been decided upon and carried out, however, the intention is for it to stick. Banned members should have some integrity and understand that they've been excluded from the forums because they were unwilling to observe the relatively few and not especially stringent guidelines that we have.

Banned members should reflect upon their own behavior and understand why they've been excluded. If they want to return, they must make a sincere effort to cease the kinds of behaviors that got them banned in the first place. If they succeed in doing this, chances are they won't get banned again because they won't even draw moderators' attention to them. Moderators aren't omniscient. If members don't act like troublemakers, moderators have no reason to scrutinize them (we do have lives, you know?). Typically, ban evaders who get caught are those who come back immediately or very shortly after getting banned and engage in the exact same kinds of behaviors that got them banned to begin with. For the record, these behaviors are not limited to constant obscenity, baiting, and flaming, which are obvious "no nos," but also constant posting of material of no substance. In other words, non-commercial SPAM.

So that's my view on this matter.
    do the person get any warnings?
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

Quote Originally Posted by LuNaR View Post
    Normally, members get many warnings, depending on what they did. I've gotten several official and non-official warnings. It's so cute. I like getting them. J/K!!

I also remember being banned one time. I think it was to test out the forum. To see if I can enter the forum or check my PMs while being banned.

Quote Originally Posted by GuGu View Post
    Normally, members get many warnings, depending on what they did. I've gotten several official and non-official warnings. It's so cute. I like getting them. J/K!!

I also remember being banned one time. I think it was to test out the forum. To see if I can enter the forum or check my PMs while being banned.
    hmmm i havent gotten 1 yet... but why am i so scared

hmmm i havent gotten 1 yet... but why am i so scared
    Becuz you be making all those perverted threads! Can't remember at the moment, but I know you did!

Quote Originally Posted by GuGu View Post
    Becuz you be making all those perverted threads! Can't remember at the moment, but I know you did!
    i never made any perverted threads!

First time offenders, yes. Unless it's something extremely grievous (like making threats of bodily harm or other illegal things), it's three strikes before the offender is out.

Ban evaders, however, are banned as soon as they're identified.

First time offenders, yes. Unless it's something extremely grievous (like making threats of bodily harm or other illegal things), it's three strikes before the offender is out.

Ban evaders, however, are banned as soon as they're identified.
    o ok, im good then thanks for the response

Hey where is M.L. nowadays? Hadn't seen anything from him in ages except I seem to remember seeing a random thread started by the M____ L____ username, then it was deleted and I presume he was either warned or banned.

I joined back in 2003 when I was still working and posting here a lot during work. Fortunately I never got caught by the IT Dept., or they just didn't care. I think I must've just missed the whole "scandalous affair" about the relationship forum. I seem to recall the forum was still in existence when I joined, but I must've been oblivious to what was going on.
    This account is retired.

The question is irrelevant to its topic.

I understood the rule: "ban evaders are banned as soon as they're identified" but what if it is actually a completely another person eventhough have the same IP of the former account/member? Will the mods still think it's "ban evaders"? Do explain this.

Quote Originally Posted by kingearth View Post
    The question is irrelevant to its topic.

I understood the rule: "ban evaders are banned as soon as they're identified" but what if it is actually a completely another person eventhough have the same IP of the former account/member? Will the mods still think it's "ban evaders"? Do explain this.
    That depends.

Having the same IP as a previously banned member isn't by itself enough to get someone banned.

Having a similar posting style as a previously banned member also isn't by itself enough to get someone banned.

Having the same IP as a previously banned member *and* having a similar posting style, however, will set off the alarms and usually result in banning.

The moderators generally aren't out hunting for ban evaders, but when certain signals set off our red flags, we'll definitely pursue them.

Having the same IP as a previously banned member *and* having a similar posting style, however, will set off the alarms and usually result in banning.
    Oh so..okay, I got the conception. So basically having the exactly same IP as the former banned account and having a very similar posting reference, will make the mod(s) suspect/think it's a 'ban evaders'.

But what if it is a completely different person happens to have the similar IP, even, it's another an individual being. How can the mod(s) tell the difference? Guess, "that depends" huh?
    Last edited by kingearth; 11-27-07 at 12:44 AM.

Oh so..okay, I got the conception. So basically having the exactly same IP as the former banned account and having a very similar posting reference, will make the mod(s) suspect/think it's a 'ban evaders'.

But what if it is a completely different person happens to have the similar IP, even, it's another an individual being. How can the mod(s) tell the difference? Guess, "that depends" huh?
    It's never going to be completely foolproof. Moderators, after all, aren't omniscient. But there's an old saying: if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...

The chances of a totally different person having the same IP at the same forum is 1/1,000,000. For it to happen, the persons involved would have to be on the same isp with dynamic ip's and placed in a petri dish to culture.

but yes the bans are not always foolproof
    Due to several complaints, I will stop using the terms "Babe" and "Baby" in reference to our female counterpart. They will now be replaced with "B*tch."

SPCNET Karaoke Corner

but what if i get banned now, and my sister discovers spcnet, (she does like the stuff i like-we're very similar), will she get banned?

Quote Originally Posted by libby96 View Post
    but what if i get banned now, and my sister discovers spcnet, (she does like the stuff i like-we're very similar), will she get banned?
    Only if you've committed a violation so severe that it requires an IP ban. Your sister will have a separate account, though likely on the same IP if you live together. The server doesn't know you from your sister.

So if you're thinking of violating SPCNET rules, remember this: you might not be the only person affected by your misbehavior.

Quote Originally Posted by libby96 View Post
    I would say probably yes, libby96, she will get banned eventhough she has a different account b/c of the same IP thingy. I somehow got mistaken into these same IP stuff(s) too. *sign* Didn't know what to say other then; Good luck to your sister, libby96.

I would say probably yes, libby96, she will get banned eventhough she has a different account b/c of the same IP thingy. I somehow got mistaken into these same IP stuff(s) too. *sign* Didn't know what to say other then; Good luck to your sister, libby96.
    Or better yet, just don't do stuff that will get you banned. It's not that hard. It's not like we have a million rules set up like traps waiting for people to fall into. Ninety-nine percent of the people who register here are never even considered for banning, so if you do get banned, you need to look towards your own behavior first rather than trying to find blame with "cruel" moderators.