View Poll Results: Mr Mo Da vs Sword God, whose swordsmanship is more IMPRESSIVE?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mr Mo Da - slicing 7 rings from 7 cups in just 1 move without stirring the cups!

17 70.83%
  • SWORD GOD Zhuo Bufan - slicing a table into 9 identical pieces in a flash!

7 29.17%
  • No idea/Draw

0 0%

Thread: Mr Mo Da vs Sword God, whose swordsmanship is more IMPRESSIVE?

Default Mr Mo Da vs Sword God, whose swordsmanship is more IMPRESSIVE?

Quote Originally Posted by Lanny Lin chapter 2
    Infuriated, the short fat man stuck his hand out to grab the old man by his scruff. Without warning, a light flashed in front of his eyes and the blade of a long thin sword flew toward the table. The sharp ring of the blade echoed. The short fat man was so astonished that he jumped back instinctively, afraid to be hurt by the sword. Then he saw the old man slowly insert the sword into the bottom of the huqin, till the whole sword disappeared into the instrument. No one would have expected a sword to be hidden in an old huqin.
    “You are talking nonsense!” the old man shook his head again, then slowly walked out of the teashop. Everyone watched him disappear into the rain, and all there was left was the sad music from the huqin, vaguely drifting from the distance.
    “Look, look at the table!” someone uttered in a cry of surprise. Everyone looked in the direction his finger was pointing. There were seven teacups on the table where the short fat man had sat; a ring, about half an inch wide, had been neatly sliced from each cup. The seven china rings had fallen by the cups, yet none of the cups had ever moved an inch.
    Mr Mo Da, the headmaster of the Hengshan sword school in Xiao Ao Jiang Hu, whose nickname is Xiao Xiang Ye Wu - Night Rain of Xiao Xiang, can slice 7 china rings from 7 china cups in just one move without stirring the cups.

Sword God Zhuo Bufan in DGSD can slice a table into 9 identical pieces in a flash.

Which feat do you think is more impressive?
    Yang Guo & Zhou Botong said in Chapters 6, 11 & 25 of ROCH:
    - 这道姑也算得美了,只是还不及桃花岛郭伯母,更加不及我姑姑。
    - 原来郭伯母竟是这般美貌,小时候我却不觉得。
    - 龙姑娘,我瞧你品貌才智,和那小黄蓉不相上下,武功也跟她差不离。

Quote Originally Posted by Huang Rong
    Mr Mo Da, the headmaster of the Hengshan sword school in Xiao Ao Jiang Hu, whose nickname is Xiao Xiang Ye Wu - Night Rain of Xiao Xiang, can slice 7 china rings from 7 china cups in just one move without stirring the cups.

Sword God Zhuo Bufan in DGSD can slice a table into 9 identical pieces in a flash.

Which feat do you think is more impressive?
    But Mo Da couldn't even beat Yue Lingshan at the Song Shan Meet right? I liked him a lot but I don't think he's that highly-skilled.

Zhuo Bufan is the bloke who was hanging around with that loser Murong Fu, right? I have several things to say about him - none of them are polite so I'll just hold my tongue!

~ Edmund Lau
    Read my blogs at: Uncle Screwtape's Blogspot

Quote Originally Posted by Edmund Lau
    Zhuo Bufan is the bloke who was hanging around with that loser Murong Fu, right?
    Well, there were quite a few chaps who "hung around" Murong Fu. But I don't believe SWORD GOD Zhuo Bufan is one who "hung around" Murong Fu. SWORD GOD was the one who effortlessly inflicted a long wound on Duan Yu and who "rescued" Xuzhu from A Pair of Monsters of Pearl Cliff, among other things. His magnificent contributions to the colorfulness of Jin Yong's character/martial arts descriptions is the reason several of us consider him one of the greatest hidden gems in wuxia fiction ever.
    Last edited by PJ; 02-03-07 at 01:01 AM.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Much as I am a fan of SWORD GOD Zhuo Bufan, in this instance I would give the prize to Mo Da. Mr Mo's feat required much more precise control since it required small, fast and precise movements. A table is much bigger then a winecup.

However, I am not sure if Mr Mo can transmit his voice clearly across a mountain range of throw an object across 3 miles.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Zhuo Bufan is the bloke who was hanging around with that loser Murong Fu, right? I have several things to say about him - none of them are polite so I'll just hold my tongue!

~ Edmund Lau
    Are you mixing SWORD GOD up with one of Murong Fu's retainers?

But Mo Da couldn't even beat Yue Lingshan at the Song Shan Meet right? I liked him a lot but I don't think he's that highly-skilled.
    ~ Edmund Lau
    In fact he's really that high-skilled, because Jin Yong wrote about his feat in Chapter 2 of XAJH.
    Futhermore, IMO, Mr Mo Da was capable of winning over Yue Lingshan in no time, but he didn't do so since he thought that Yue Lingshan was a little girl.
    - 原来郭伯母竟是这般美貌,小时候我却不觉得。

Quote Originally Posted by Huang Rong
    In fact he's really that high-skilled, because Jin Yong wrote about his feat in Chapter 2 of XAJH.
    Futhermore, IMO, Mr Mo Da was capable of winning over Yue Lingshan in no time, but he didn't do so since he thought that Yue Lingshan was a little girl.
    How come YLS managed to defeat pugilists who were higher ranked than she was? Did she dazzle them into defeat with her as before unknown swordplay or did they underestimate her?

Quote Originally Posted by junzi
    How come YLS managed to defeat pugilists who were higher ranked than she was? Did she dazzle them into defeat with her as before unknown swordplay or did they underestimate her?
    there's still a decent amount of gap between mr. mo da & "pugulists higher than YLS". mo da should be near the best within the 5 yue sword sects...YLS as good as she is, is still nowhere near the top in the 5 yue.
    Watch out! Dihydrogen Monoxide will kill us all!

slicing wood pfftt if i had 10 dollars, i rather use it to watch ppl slice rings into cups than wood
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

Mr Mo Da's feat has Linghu Chong praising, so i should say that is quite a feat.

Quote Originally Posted by junzi
    AFAIK, Mr Mo Da and the other headmasters of the 5 Yue sword schools were far far superior to YLS but they were all lost to YLS since they either made concessions to her or discounted her.
    Quote Originally Posted by shortsight
    Mr Mo Da's feat has Linghu Chong praising.
    no, when he sliced the 7 teacups in the restaurant, Linghu Chong wasn't there.
    - 原来郭伯母竟是这般美貌,小时候我却不觉得。

Quote Originally Posted by shortsight
    Mr Mo Da's feat has Linghu Chong praising, so i should say that is quite a feat.
    Only one person who was a nobody at the time? When SWORD GOD sliced the table into 9 identical pieces, the crowd of nearly one thousand experts cheered naturally at this accomplishment. There were experts there near Murong Fu's martial arts level, and SWORD GOD took them all by storm.

Not saying SWORD GOD's feat is more impressive, just that if we were to compare strictly on the basis of praises, SWORD GOD wins hands down.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

~ Edmund Lau
    he defeated YLS in the fight, he hit the sword off her hand, laughed, and gave her mercy. while YLS just sneakily shot a rock on his chest
    在下日月神教陸教主是也

Well, the teacups were all of identical make, presumably, and they were all on the table, hence of equal height. One horizontal slash could get all of them. Sword God on the other hand had to make many cuts so it was harder.

Senior Member kyss of the sword's Avatar

mr mo da had some skills but lack the awe and mystery of sword god.
    THE KYSS OF THE SWORD IS DEADLY BUT EXQUSITE
    he's the strongest in history but he's the disciple.
    http://www.mangafox.com/manga/histor...ciple_kenichi/

Quote Originally Posted by K2Grey
    Well, the teacups were all of identical make, presumably, and they were all on the table, hence of equal height. One horizontal slash could get all of them. Sword God on the other hand had to make many cuts so it was harder.
    but the extreme impressiveness here is he sliced the teacups without stirring the cups and the 7 rings were identical in shape!
    - 原来郭伯母竟是这般美貌,小时候我却不觉得。

The impressiveness to me was not due so much to the speed or the size of the cups. It was impressive due to the circular nature of the rings, meaning it wasn't just one straight slash but it had to incorporate seven minute circular strokes along with the straight stroke.

As well as the obvious: the cups were made out of some sort of ceramic (like porcelain); that type of material tends to shatter.