Thread: Comparison of martial arts between SSRB/BXJ and other JY novels

Default Comparison of martial arts between SSRB/BXJ and other JY novels

I'm currently watching the mainland version of SWORD STAINED BY ROYAL BLOOD/BI XUE JIAN. Having not read the original novel, special effects obviously aren't a good indication of the martial arts ability, I am just curious as to how the martial arts level of SSRB/BXJ in comparison to the LOCH/ROCH/HSDS era and the "ultimate" DGSD era.

For example, in DUKE OF MOUNT DEER, there are really no "top" fighters as such, so is BI XUE JIAN similar to say, SMILING PROUD WANDERER/XIAO AO JIANG HU? and how would the "top" characters of BXJ/SSRB fare against fighters in the other novel?

thanks

if this is the 1 with the golden snake guy, in my opinion (i am not a wuxia analyst so i am like 99% wrong), i think the golden snake guy is just about as good as 1 of the quen zhen ppl
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

Quote Originally Posted by LuNaR
    if this is the 1 with the golden snake guy, in my opinion (i am not a wuxia analyst so i am like 99% wrong), i think the golden snake guy is just about as good as 1 of the quen zhen ppl
    equal to one of the quen zhen ppl means he's very weak. i thought he's much stronger, maybe somewhere around Yelu Qi? Is that an overstatement?

Quote Originally Posted by LuNaR
    there are a lot of quanzhen people... they can range from Zhou Bo Tong, Wang Chong Yang to pretty weak level fighters

imo Bi Xia Jian's *so-called* elite masters such as: Jin She Lang Jun (Golden Snake), Yuan Chengzhi and some other characters whose name I can't recall would only be ranked as the *5th tier fighters* if thrown in XAJH era, since the old Taoist, shifu of Yuan Chengzhi, (i don't remember his name) was a disciple of a declined school - Hua Shan!
    Therefore, compared to the Condor's greats or the DGSD's elite masters, they would be ranked as the *7th tier fighters*,
    But 1 Condor Great = the combination of the Quanzhen 7 masters.
    therefore Yuan Chengzhi = Jin She Lang Jun (Golden Snake Husband) = anyone amongst the QuanZhen 7 masters.
    Last edited by Huang Rong; 02-06-07 at 12:32 PM.
    Yang Guo & Zhou Botong said in Chapters 6, 11 & 25 of ROCH:
    - 这道姑也算得美了,只是还不及桃花岛郭伯母,更加不及我姑姑。
    - 原来郭伯母竟是这般美貌,小时候我却不觉得。
    - 龙姑娘,我瞧你品貌才智,和那小黄蓉不相上下,武功也跟她差不离。

Quote Originally Posted by Huang Rong
    imo Bi Xia Jian's *so-called* elite masters such as: Jin She Lang Jun (Golden Snake), Yuan Chengzhi and some other characters whose name I can't recall would only be ranked as the *5th tier fighters* if thrown in XAJH era, since the old Taoist, shifu of Yuan Chengzhi, (i don't remember his name) was a disciple of a declined school - Hua Shan!
    Therefore, compared to the Condor's greats or the DGSD's elite masters, they would be ranked as the *7th tier fighters*,
    But 1 Condor Great = the combination of the Quanzhen 7 masters.
    therefore Yuan Chengzhi = Jin She Lang Jun (Golden Snake Husband) = anyone amongst the QuanZhen 7 masters.
    Yuen Cheng Zhi's master, Mu Renqing, perfected the Huan Yun internal energy skill. Was that derived from the "qi"-faction of Hua Shan (probably a variant of Zi Xia Shen Gong)?

~ Edmund Lau
    Read my blogs at: Uncle Screwtape's Blogspot

Quote Originally Posted by Edmund Lau
    Yuen Cheng Zhi's master, Mu Renqing, perfected the Huan Yun internal energy skill. Was that derived from the "qi"-faction of Hua Shan (probably a variant of Zi Xia Shen Gong)?
    ~ Edmund Lau
    I don't know anything about Huan Yun skill, haven't read BXJ yet, but I think Hua Shan school began to decline and the Purple Twilight Divine Art was lost after Yue Buqun died.
    Is that right?
    - 原来郭伯母竟是这般美貌,小时候我却不觉得。

Not sure if Purple Divine Art was lost because there was a manual and to my knowledge, it still existed; however, it clearly didn't show up in BXJ.
    法王正欲回掌相击,突听嗤嗤轻响一股柔和的气流涌向面门,正是一灯大师使出“一阳指”功夫,正面拦截。法王一直没将这白眉老僧放在眼内,那料到他这一指之功,竟是如此深厚
    此时一灯大师的“一阳指”功夫实已到了登峰造极、炉火纯青的地步,指上发出的那股罡气似是温淳平和,但沛然浑厚,无可与抗

The one in TVB had Yuan Chengzhi powering up a force field each time there are too many enemies to fight. His force field could blast people away. I thought that is a pretty strong feat. Might be over-exaggerated in the TVB version, I never read BXJ.

that is exxagerated. The Yuan Chengzhi in the book who pull off nothing close to that force field.
    法王正欲回掌相击,突听嗤嗤轻响一股柔和的气流涌向面门,正是一灯大师使出“一阳指”功夫,正面拦截。法王一直没将这白眉老僧放在眼内,那料到他这一指之功,竟是如此深厚
    此时一灯大师的“一阳指”功夫实已到了登峰造极、炉火纯青的地步,指上发出的那股罡气似是温淳平和,但沛然浑厚,无可与抗

Quote Originally Posted by Whsie
    Not sure if Purple Divine Art was lost because there was a manual and to my knowledge, it still existed; however, it clearly didn't show up in BXJ.
    The Yuan Chengzhi in the book who pull off nothing close to that force field.
    I don't know much about what happened in the novel SSWRB/BXJ, but I read DOMD already.
    The 1-armed nun (Princess Chengping in SSWRB), the 2nd best fighter in DOMD, was an orthodox disciple of a 1st class fighter in SSWRB (he's the bosom friend of the master of Yuan Chengzhi, i don't remember his name), yet her MA seemed to only be equal to the MA of the 5th class fighters of XAJH.
    => SSWRB's 1-class-fighters are probably =~ the 4th-class fighers of XAJH.
    - 原来郭伯母竟是这般美貌,小时候我却不觉得。

Quote Originally Posted by Huang Rong
    I don't know much about what happened in the novel SSWRB/BXJ, but I read DOMD already.
    The 1-armed nun (Princess Chengping in SSWRB), the 2nd best fighter in DOMD, was an orthodox disciple of a 1st class fighter in SSWRB (he's the bosom friend of the master of Yuan Chengzhi, i don't remember his name), yet her MA seemed to only be equal to the MA of the 5th class fighters of XAJH.
    => SSWRB's 1-class-fighters are probably =~ the 4th-class fighers of XAJH.
    That is probably the first edition is it?

Cause Yuan Chengzhi is the master of the one-armed nun in DOMD, isn't it?

Han SOlo

Quote Originally Posted by Han Solo
    That is probably the first edition is it?
    Cause Yuan Chengzhi is the master of the one-armed nun in DOMD, isn't it?
    Han SOlo
    No no, the one-amred nun was a princess of the Ming dynasty - Princess Chengping, she and Yuan Chengzhi had a romantic relation but led to nothing.
    The disciple of Yuan Chengzhi you mentioned was a Miao girl, also the leader of the 5 Venom sect in SSWRB, whose name is He Tieshou.
    - 原来郭伯母竟是这般美貌,小时候我却不觉得。