Thread: Does Jin Yong have something against monkeys?

Default Does Jin Yong have something against monkeys?

There were lots of monkeys in the 1st/2nd edition JY novels. The more he edits his novels, more and more monkeys were removed!

LOCH 1st Edition: YG's mum was a girl called Qin Nan Qin who had a fire monkey as her pet. 2nd Edition: JY removed Qin Nan Qin and replaced her with Mu Nianci - therefore bye-bye fire-monkey.

HSDS 1st Edition: ZWJ had a monkey as pet on Fire-Ice Island. 2nd Edition: Bye-bye monkey.

SSRB 2nd/3rd Edition: YCZ had gorillas for pets and he fought a tiger as a kid. 4th Edition: No more tiger. Are the gorillas still there? (Gotta check the new edition novels).

Now, the only monkey seems to be the one who taught Ah Qing in "Yue Nu Jian". The monkey was supposedly very highly skilled and passed on its sword-skills to Ah Qing simply by playing/sparring with her. Apparently this monkey was featured in several Tang/Sung Dynasty novels/stories and JY included it in his novella. In SSRB, YCZ's teacher, Mu Renqing was called "Immortal Sword, Heavenly Monkey" - was it a homage to that legendary monkey who taught Ah Qing?

Your thoughts?

~ Edmund Lau
    Read my blogs at: Uncle Screwtape's Blogspot

He was probably sick of the cheap animal costumes that keep popping up in the adaptations and tried to remove some animals from his stories.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Currently in Moss, Silver. Next stop....still Moss, Silver

Quote Originally Posted by CC
    He was probably sick of the cheap animal costumes that keep popping up in the adaptations and tried to remove some animals from his stories.
    LOL thats a good one...
    Da One and Only,
    ghostdarTeal'c

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Idols: Mark Dacascos and Vicki Zhao Wei
    Fav Artists: Zhang Tie Lin, Cheng E Kin, Vin Diesel, Jet Li, Amy Chan Sau Man, Michelle Rodriguez, Theresa Lee Yee Hong
    Fav Series: The Great General, Heroine of The Yangs, Huan Zhu Ge Ge I & II, Secret Battle of The Majesties
    Fav Movies: The Matrix I, G.I Jane, Fist of Legend, Drive, Gladiator, 2009 Lost Memories, So Close, Crying Freeman

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius; Commander of the Army of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor; Marcus Aurilius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife, and I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.

- The Spaniard -

Quote Originally Posted by CC
    LOL.

BTW, don't for get Lu Da You, aka Liu Hou, from Xiao Ao Jiang Hu, the guy who was killed by the second martial brother Lao De Nou, who was actually from Song Shan. He really liked monkeys, so when Linghu Chong captured Lao De Nou, he tied him to a monkey as a punishment.
    hu ge, yang mi, yuan hong, liu shishi.
    wang luodan, li guangjie.