View Poll Results: Based on overall production quality, which adaptation of LOCH is your favourite?

Voters
95. You may not vote on this poll
  • TVB's LOCH '82 (Felix Wong, Barbara Yung)

53 55.79%
  • TVB's LOCH '95 (Julian Cheung, Athena Chu)

10 10.53%
  • Mainland's LOCH '03 (Li Yapeng, Zhou Xun)

32 33.68%
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: The LOCH adaptation debate

Talking

Thank you LoisLane for the link!

That is not Viet-dubbed, I'm Vietnamese and I can't understand a thing they said . I think it might be Thai or a different language, it doesn't sound like Khmer either.

Quote Originally Posted by redfirefly124 View Post
    LOL...don't think so....even I, the LOCH 03 supporter, hate...er, dislike him....and all I can say is that he probably tried his best.
    Honestly, I did think Zhou Jie did right in portraying YK's love for WYHL and there was some conflict in Ep 19 over his love for MNC vs WYHL. Just that everytime I see his face I just want to punch it. I guess it's inevitable - TV viewers will always be superficial and place looks above proper characterisation.
    Last edited by xiaolong; 07-27-10 at 06:34 AM.

I don't understand the Zhou Jie-Yang Kang hate. He isn't extremely handsome, but I wouldn't consider him to be bad-looking. He portrayed Yang Kang in such a way that along with Guo Jing and Mu Nianci, I too wanted so much for him to finally change for the better, because I couldn't hate him. He did an amazing job with the character, especially in the death scene when he denounced WYHL. After seeing that, I was ready to forgive him for every bad thing he had ever done.

The leads from the 2003 version really stood out for me. In terms of Huang Rong, I think Zhou Xun is the best by far and the highlight of the 2003 version. She is the most interesting, the most charming, and seems more intelligent than the other HRs. IMO, she's also the best-looking, most memorable, and most natural in the role.

LYP suits Guo Jing so well. IMO, he's the best but not by very much.

Shui Ling as Mu Nianci was okay, but it started to annoy me a bit, though that might be because of the script.

In the supporting cast, I thought HYS was amazing. I didn't like H7G, though, and I thought OYF was a bit too...cute?
    Last edited by Dragon Heiress; 07-19-10 at 04:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon Heiress View Post
    and I thought OYF was a bit too...cute?
    I find this Ouyang Feng too friendly, and his hairstyle belonging to someone much younger.

LOCH 2003's H7G was terrible. In my review I really slagged him off, and having rewatched it recently my opinion of him hasn't improved at all. HYS has grown on me, though (probably because I watched Anthony Wong's version and the 2003 version had much more.. aura). OYF's Shakespeare hairstyle didn't help, and his role was too nice - he just didn't exude any menace at all.. although I have to say that he was likeable, just not as a villain.

I'm so glad everyone is saying good things about Zhou Jie. I wrote my review, and kind of said I liked him, and ever since then I've seen nothing but dislike for his YK on these forums, making me wonder if I got it all wrong. During the rewatch I still didn't find him particularly bad, so thankfully I'm not alone in liking his YK. He might not be very handsome, but I'm a guy and don't really notice such things =)

Zhou Xun's Huang Rong was really good. Not the typical Huang Rong mold, and always a bit risky, but Zhou Xun's charisma carried the role through really well. The typical cute Huang Rongs such as Barbara, Athena and Ariel were all lovable, but Zhou's take was slightly different, arguably more mature, but it didn't lose out to the other three in any way.

i watched all versions, 82, 94, 03, 08
    but i still think 82 adaptation is the best ever....
    from GJ/HR , to supporting casts.... to the 5 greats, 7 freaks, Theme Songs, the acting of everyone, Genghis khan...
    everyone just look like the role they are playing, and they are so into the role that whenever u think of them, u will think of their role in LOCH 82..... or vice versa....
    this is something that the other versions cannot be compared to..... though i must say the other versions of GJ/HR had tried their best and Not bad too.... But barbara yung and Felix wong are still my favourite so far....

the 2003 version have the most best authentic looking scenery.
    the 82 version have the most entertaining guo jing.
    the 94 version have the most ethical genghis khan.
    the 2008 version was too much cgi and it seemed like an xxx romance production made for entertainment rather than literature and ethical and culture learning.

Quote Originally Posted by SweetSourSalt View Post
    the 2003 version have the most best authentic looking scenery.
    Scenery is, at best, a "side dish" in a wuxia television adaptation. It's nice to have it if you can, but this is hardly what should make or break a wuxia adaptation.

the 82 version have the most entertaining guo jing.
    This is vitally important; without an engaging lead character, a story won't get very far.

the 94 version have the most ethical genghis khan.
    Which is interesting, but might be distorting the truth quite a bit. Still, this is an adaptation of a fictional work we're talking about, so some bending of the truth is not unexpected.

the 2008 version was too much cgi and it seemed like an xxx romance production made for entertainment rather than literature and ethical and culture learning.
    I wouldn't mistake or substitute LOCH (in any form) for ethical and cultural learning (although the story can fulfill some of those goals on the side), but any adaptation better be a darn good action/adventure or it's all for not.

But if they keep replacing much natural looking scenery with cgi than it make me feel like I'm playing a video game.

Quote Originally Posted by SweetSourSalt View Post
    But if they keep replacing much natural looking scenery with cgi than it make me feel like I'm playing a video game.
    Who said anything about CGI? During the 1980s, TVB used the hills and meadows out in the New Territories to simulate everything from the Mongolian steppes to the forests of the Central Plains. Did it matter? Not really.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Who said anything about CGI? During the 1980s, TVB used the hills and meadows out in the New Territories to simulate everything from the Mongolian steppes to the forests of the Central Plains. Did it matter? Not really.

I mean the 2008 series and beyond.