Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Parental Guidance

It's predictability makes it boring once you catch on with the way the drama has been scripted. I suppose as all cliches go, the marriage of convenience will become a marriage of love.

Hmmm they don't speak like Singaporeans in the drama. Where're all the lahs and lehs? HAHA.
    magic is something science hasn't made boring!

Some think it is boring because: Jessica already starred in a series like this 1 same synopsis ... inheriting children and gaining a better half EXCEPT in that series she was already good friends and got along with the guy.

If anyone wants to know the name of the series I forgot

The kids are cute and great ... especially the little girl who wants to act like her uncle James

WARNING SPOILER:
    who knew Jessica already knew Adrian (James) in college and they were the ones who brought the kids parents to each other there ...

Default Woohoo

Some think it is boring because: Jessica already starred in a series like this 1 same synopsis ... inheriting children and gaining a better half EXCEPT in that series she was already good friends and got along with the guy.
    I think you are talking about 'Family of Five'..she starred in it along with Joe Ma..i heard they got rather close ...no insinuations or whatsoever intended..

Jessica's an uber actress..my favourite TVB actress (along with Flora Chan). But...i feel that she overacts a bit in PG..i mean, she is a great actress, and her facial features are all highly expressive, so when she tries to act out her role, it seems like she overacts..But to her credit, her character is rather exaggerated (come on, a cleasing spray or a disinfectant or whatever? My jaw dropped when she took out her wipes to clean the taxi's door handle), so her exaggerated actions are to be expected? (She looks great in a suit too )

Adrian is a great actor...we lack good hosts in Singapore, and he does a good job. His accent is also pleasant to hear..as it's so natural ^^ Maybe PG will have a sequel? But whatever it is, Adrian has got to stay in show biz...in Singapore ah, we can't lose our local talent you know!

Oh ya..one of my favourite jokes in PG: (First episode)

Jessica: Don't drive too fast, i like 50
    Taxi Driver: *turns around, jaw dropped* Hah? Why don't you take a trishaw?! [i would have liked it better if he had used singlish eg: Take a trishaw la!]

Can't wait for the next episode tmr! *grins* Bear bear....

Poor bear bear gets disinfected and loses an eye.

Parental Guidance is too formulaic and superficial. Every episode, the misguided parents get a revelation in one form or another, and things end on a happy note.

haha..yup, that's what i think as well..they could have written a better script. I'm just watching it for all the actors and actresses. I wish they had done something which would have a little more local flavour to it..i don't feel any warmth towards the characters as they all seem rather plastic in my opinion..hmm..i can't say i like Jess's role much..

but i'm still waiting for the next episode..but my monday nights belong to Desperate housewives
    Hmm...?

I'm still in the process of watching it. So far it's funny. It's lame sometimes and unbelievable but I guess it's just something light on the side to watch when you're bored. But at least it's short, right? *shrugs*

Did anyone find ep 10 exceptionally lame and juvenile? Parental Guidance has never been outstanding but this particular ep was just downright silly, and required some suspension of disbelief. I don't think people like James and Ling would act in such a manner, they certainly have more depth than that. Polgara I totally agree about them feeling plastic! Maybe the writers thought it funny and light-hearted but I found myself having to keep from sniggering. This drama is in the wrong hands!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jade_frosts
    Did anyone find ep 10 exceptionally lame and juvenile? Parental Guidance has never been outstanding but this particular ep was just downright silly, and required some suspension of disbelief. I don't think people like James and Ling would act in such a manner, they certainly have more depth than that. Polgara I totally agree about them feeling plastic! Maybe the writers thought it funny and light-hearted but I found myself having to keep from sniggering. This drama is in the wrong hands!!!
    I wholeheartedly agree. It was ridiculous the way they were discussing and arguing. My family members are choosy about the shows they watch, and i felt my face burn up with embarrassment when they watched this episode with me. Not to say that i find it bad..i just find it childish that's all. I wish their characters had more depth, Jade -_- It's a drama afterall, not a comedy, and it is too light-hearted for me! I love humour, but this isn't humour..it is sort of slapstick. Sorry for ranting here..but i just feel a need to say this out loud I wish the characters would show a little more angst sometimes, and talk about it, which would prevent the current monotony of the show...Episode 10 was the perfect chance to air their growing feelings for each other in mature way (and i stress again, a mature way...but they blew it!!! Gah!!!) Bleh..hope i'm not being too mean about this, but it's only the cast that keeps me wanting to watch this show.
    Hmm...?

Quote Originally Posted by Polgara
    I wholeheartedly agree. It was ridiculous the way they were discussing and arguing. My family members are choosy about the shows they watch, and i felt my face burn up with embarrassment when they watched this episode with me. Not to say that i find it bad..i just find it childish that's all. I wish their characters had more depth, Jade -_- It's a drama afterall, not a comedy, and it is too light-hearted for me! I love humour, but this isn't humour..it is sort of slapstick. Sorry for ranting here..but i just feel a need to say this out loud I wish the characters would show a little more angst sometimes, and talk about it, which would prevent the current monotony of the show...Episode 10 was the perfect chance to air their growing feelings for each other in mature way (and i stress again, a mature way...but they blew it!!! Gah!!!) Bleh..hope i'm not being too mean about this, but it's only the cast that keeps me wanting to watch this show.
    I totally agree with you. I'm sticking around for Adrian Pang, Jessica Hsuen and the rest of the folks too. Well, the problem is that the brilliant folks who produced Parental Guidance call it dramedy which, I suppose, means wants to straddle drama and comedy although I can't see how it can be both. Adrian Pang did have a bone to pick with that I vaguely recall. The conversations and behaviours that the characters have are at times unrealistic and the episodes are superficial. For goodness sake, Ling and James are lawyers, surely they can speak better lines than these contrived ones. Ep 10 definitely blew the chance to give greater depth to the characters and that pretty much will be the tone of the drama. I don't even know where Parental Guidance will go from here. It feels kinda directionless.

Exactly!! Whew..glad to see you feel the same way too. Today's episode was not that bad i suppose..(By the way, i entirely agree that they should have wittier lines what with them being lawyers and all..Unfortunately, it is as you have said..contrived :/ Grr...If i get my hands on the scriptwriter...[you understand that i blame him entirely for this])

Next week's episode (12) will probably be a little angsty (that is, a leeetle bit if we're lucky ) Jess is really quite jealous and really angry over an amorous woman who tries to entice the pervy Adrian into her arms...and Terence (don't know his real name..but he looks handsome ) gets drunk and clings on to Jess. That's what i saw for the highlights anyways..*crosses fingers* Hope it turns out well
    Hmm...?

Parental Guidance is GREAT!!

Exactly!! Whew..glad to see you feel the same way too. Today's episode was not that bad i suppose..(By the way, i entirely agree that they should have wittier lines what with them being lawyers and all..Unfortunately, it is as you have said..contrived :/ Grr...If i get my hands on the scriptwriter...[you understand that i blame him entirely for this])

Next week's episode (12) will probably be a little angsty (that is, a leeetle bit if we're lucky ) Jess is really quite jealous and really angry over an amorous woman who tries to entice the pervy Adrian into her arms...and Terence (don't know his real name..but he looks handsome ) gets drunk and clings on to Jess. That's what i saw for the highlights anyways..*crosses fingers* Hope it turns out well
    I'm so glad Ep 11 saw a return to normalcy! It's funny how when contrasted to the previous episode, this one came across as rather subdued and restrained. No over the top hysterics and acting required of the cast. Thank goodness of course! And, like you, I hope Ep 12 will continue in the same tone. James still isn't going to show the least bit of interest in Ling? It's supposed to be an All's Well Ends Well kind of story isn't it? Or at least that's the impression I had from the very start. Heh and yeah I totally agree that the guy who acts as Terence is quite handsome.

Woopee! Episode 12 rocks! (Though Jess's acting at the end was a little overdone in my opinion..the whole bit where she was ranting about him always being at the back of her mind..but other than that there was no 'over the top hysterics' as you say Jade ) But they did it! They really did it! Erhem..for the sake of some kids that might be reading this, i won't actually say what they really did..but it was sweet, and it looks like you have there your 'All's Well Ends Well' ending (Though it appears that Ling will have to face the decision of leaving the family in the last episode..but my hunch is that everything will end satisfactorily..no worries there!)

Hm..i've always thought that Jame's lines are more wittier than Ling's, but i loved the part where dear squeaky clean Ling said 'Why the hell..' or something like that. I just liked the way Jess said it..the 'hell' word sounded good and did a much better job of showing her frustrations over James to James then her 'over the top hysterics' (Very useful phrase you've got there btw)

Great..they have to stop the series when it gets good..haha! Ah well..another week to go before the 1 hour grand finale special..don't miss it!
    Last edited by Polgara; 04-26-07 at 09:32 AM.
    Hmm...?

Woopee! Episode 12 rocks! (Though Jess's acting at the end was a little overdone in my opinion..the whole bit where she was ranting about him always being at the back of her mind..but other than that there was no 'over the top hysterics' as you say Jade ) But they did it! They really did it! Erhem..for the sake of some kids that might be reading this, i won't actually say what they really did..but it was sweet, and it looks like you have there your 'All's Well Ends Well' ending (Though it appears that Ling will have to face the decision of leaving the family in the last episode..but my hunch is that everything will end satisfactorily..no worries there!)

Hm..i've always thought that Jame's lines are more wittier than Ling's, but i loved the part where dear squeaky clean Ling said 'Why the hell..' or something like that. I just liked the way Jess said it..the 'hell' word sounded good and did a much better job of showing her frustrations over James to James then her 'over the top hysterics' (Very useful phrase you've got there btw)

Great..they have to stop the series when it gets good..haha! Ah well..another week to go before the 1 hour grand finale special..don't miss it!
    Haha. Ep12 sounds good. I've made a habit of watching it on youtube rather than on tv so I don't have to sit through the commercials, and I guess that means I'll only be able to catch it tomorrow, at the earliest.

Parental Guidance is ending so quickly!?!? Gah ... I'll miss James. Haha. He doesn't seem to work does he? He's such a slob but quite adorable all the same.

Oh dear..sorry, i didn't mean to spill the beans, but i think you'll still enjoy episode 12 by a lot

>< I know..why did they have to end the series so early?! Maybe we can petition for PG2? Haha..

And James may still be a slob, but i'm sure Ling is starting to teach him a thing or two about responsibility...in fact, his boss entrusts him with a client in episode 12, but he fails miserably in this job...you'll find out the reason why ^^ (By the way, i totally agree that he is very adorable..especially when he's shy and starts to mumble and mutter away )
    Hmm...?

Oh dear..sorry, i didn't mean to spill the beans, but i think you'll still enjoy episode 12 by a lot

>< I know..why did they have to end the series so early?! Maybe we can petition for PG2? Haha..

And James may still be a slob, but i'm sure Ling is starting to teach him a thing or two about responsibility...in fact, his boss entrusts him with a client in episode 12, but he fails miserably in this job...you'll find out the reason why ^^ (By the way, i totally agree that he is very adorable..especially when he's shy and starts to mumble and mutter away )
    Oh it's nothing at all.

I watched Ep12 today and it was quite sweet. Despite knowing right from the very start that James and Ling would end up growing fond of each other, I wasn't really convinced when they finally came to it. Maybe the signals were too subtle or I was too obtuse, but either way, it seemed a bit abrupt. The flow wasn't there.

I noticed that Jessica tends to overact but Adrian on the other hand is quite natural and at ease. If there's one thing I wish for, I'd wish that the writers stop the impulse to throw in silly lines like getting Adrian to say "chocolate or strawberry?" when his dad's ex appears with the cake, or the part at the end where their clothes are swopped. It wasn't funny to me although I'm quite certain it was meant to elict laughs. But yeah James' lines are definitely a notch above Ling's.

So it's down to the last episode this coming week. I wonder what they have in store... ...

Quote Originally Posted by jade_frosts View Post
    Oh it's nothing at all.

I watched Ep12 today and it was quite sweet. Despite knowing right from the very start that James and Ling would end up growing fond of each other, I wasn't really convinced when they finally came to it. Maybe the signals were too subtle or I was too obtuse, but either way, it seemed a bit abrupt. The flow wasn't there.

I noticed that Jessica tends to overact but Adrian on the other hand is quite natural and at ease. If there's one thing I wish for, I'd wish that the writers stop the impulse to throw in silly lines like getting Adrian to say "chocolate or strawberry?" when his dad's ex appears with the cake, or the part at the end where their clothes are swopped. It wasn't funny to me although I'm quite certain it was meant to elict laughs. But yeah James' lines are definitely a notch above Ling's.

So it's down to the last episode this coming week. I wonder what they have in store... ...
    Yeah, as much as i like Jess, i have to admit that she does overact. Perhaps it's because of the difference in the english and chinese culture? (she doesn't overact in the cantonese dramas i've watched her act in) Then again, it could be because she was too nervous at filming her first english film, and wanted to pull it off well...

But i shan't delve too much into that. Oh yeah, aside from the cold jokes and the overacting, episode 12 did turn out rather well That part where the clothes were swopped was probably inspired by the Antony and Cleopatra love affair (or as i was informed by someone..). Apparently the roman guy and the egyptian gal (which isn't true, as she isn't an egytian in the first place..) would wear each others' clothing (in Shakespear) as a symbol that they have 'dunnit'. I don't know if this was done discreetly or not, but then again, it's none of my business.

Back to the point (i tend to ramble, sorry ^^;, episode 13 is....ah well..i've learned from my past mistake. You watch it on youtube when you're free, sit back in your seat and enjoy. All i can say is, you'll be pleasantly surprised and probably be a little miffed as well.. Have fun!
    Hmm...?

Quote Originally Posted by Polgara View Post
    Oh yeah, aside from the cold jokes and the overacting, episode 12 did turn out rather well That part where the clothes were swopped was probably inspired by the Antony and Cleopatra love affair (or as i was informed by someone..). Apparently the roman guy and the egyptian gal (which isn't true, as she isn't an egytian in the first place..) would wear each others' clothing (in Shakespear) as a symbol that they have 'dunnit'. I don't know if this was done discreetly or not, but then again, it's none of my business.
    Oh that's interesting information although I'm not sure it really achieved its intended effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Polgara View Post
    Back to the point (i tend to ramble, sorry ^^;, episode 13 is....ah well..i've learned from my past mistake. You watch it on youtube when you're free, sit back in your seat and enjoy. All i can say is, you'll be pleasantly surprised and probably be a little miffed as well.. Have fun!
    Hahaha...can I ask you to spoil it for me first??? I'm not sure I'll get to watch it until next week.

(psst..i thought the idea of them exchanging clothes was rather lame too..as much as i hate to admit it <=/)

Now, back to the point..*bites fingernails* argh..you're not playing fair..asking me to spoil it for you when you know i'm tempted to Well..i'll tell you two things...

The thing that will make you miffed (or at least one of the things) is:

*drumroll*

It ends on a cliff hanger! (But maybe you've already suspected that?)

One of the things that'll make you happy (i hope ) is:

*drumroll*

*extended drumroll*

*very very long drumroll*

*gosh-this-had-better-stop-soon-drumroll*

(sorry, couldn't resist..)

PG will be back for another season!!! (i hope this is news to you, because it was certainly news to me. I heard some news before about a PG2 several weeks ago, but i dismissed it as rumours..well, here is concrete evidence! Adrian reveals this in the behind the scenes footage cum bloopers of PG in the first 15 mins of the season finale of PG. By the way, if you knew about this all along then i'm sorry I've been so thick! I should have smelled a rat when they kept advertising the last episode of PG on TV as the season finale -_- ah well...i shan't say more! Have fun watching! I can't say it was really to my liking, but it was okay. I seem to remember that i found several parts worth laughing over..but i'll let you be the judge of it ^^)
    Hmm...?