Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Parental Guidance

I think the show's great! But it ended this week.

don't worry...i'm sure they'll finish the sequel in no time..maybe we can watch it within the year (Sorry..i'm pretty bad at consoling people..did i just make matters worse? Haha..nevermind)
    Hmm...?

can any1 find the last epi of PG on youtube?

The entire series has been uploaded on youtube:
    http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=yicheng23

Quote Originally Posted by Polgara View Post
    PG will be back for another season!!! (i hope this is news to you, because it was certainly news to me. I heard some news before about a PG2 several weeks ago, but i dismissed it as rumours..well, here is concrete evidence! Adrian reveals this in the behind the scenes footage cum bloopers of PG in the first 15 mins of the season finale of PG. By the way, if you knew about this all along then i'm sorry I've been so thick! I should have smelled a rat when they kept advertising the last episode of PG on TV as the season finale -_- ah well...i shan't say more! Have fun watching! I can't say it was really to my liking, but it was okay. I seem to remember that i found several parts worth laughing over..but i'll let you be the judge of it ^^)
    Thanks for the spoilers! I wasn't exactly expecting a second season because I'm not sure where the scriptwriters intend to take the show.

Ep 13 wasn't any better than the other episodes that came before it. Palatable but no lingering sensation after the fact. Did you suspect what was going to happen when they finally decided to chase after Ling? I did! And I really disliked it. Even if Parental Guidance had to be predictable, I want some quality. I don't want it to descend into some cheesy, formulaic sequence that makes you grimace and wonder, 'haven't I seen that all before?' The silly lines and gags are bad enough to begin with. I thought the part where James stumbled upon the pregnancy kit and learnt that Ling might have had a one-night stand with Terence a good opportunity for a nice, level exchange with her but it was handled so childishly. Anyhow, since there's season 2, I guess they'd won over a satisfying number of viewers.

Up to this moment, Parental Guidance has skimmed over parenting so breezily, not to say anything about James and Ling's work as lawyers. The introduction of some sideplots wasn't too wise. I take issue with the last bit on Terence and Matilda. Unnecessary filler. Also, I'd rather they spent more time developing the characters properly, in particular, their relationships. I wasn't quite convinced of the emotions shared between James and Ling, there weren't nuances to really show them softening up to each other and starting to appreciate certain facets of each other's personalities by the time the last seconds of Ep13 faded away, and frankly I'm not so sure I care whether she decides to snub everyone and get on the plane. Well, of course she won't since there's season 2.

If there's anything I could wish for for season 2, I'd definitely want the scriptwriters to go out and hear and watch for themselves how people behave and speak. And please make it a drama, not a dramedy. Do justice to the good cast they have in their hands! Wishful thinking?

I don't know if it is just wishful thinking on our part, but i seriously hope for a better drama. This is the first time i've heard of the term dramedy (really), and i am not liking it one bit. Actually, let's just say that PG has made me dislike it. Come to think of it, i've watched pretty good ones made by the westerners. Desperate Housewives is one. (At least, they called it a humourous drama series) I've always felt that there was something lacking in the english dramas produced by Singaporeans. They just aren't mature enough...there's just this lack of substance! It's such a contrast to the ones that the americans make. To be honest, Singapore isn't doing too well in this TV series arena. First of all, we only have one english channel that doesn't tell the news or show cartoons most of the time. No competition between networks. Second of all..we have a pretty small talent pool in this area.

What we need for PG2:

More depth in the storyline (less cheesy, more angst).
    Better, heartfelt and sincere lines (lines that are more meaningful, and not only serve as unwitty gags).

I am no doubt happy about PG2, but i am worried that the show might degenerate from its not-so-satisfying first. I am just crossing my fingers though..

By the way, i think the decision for a PG2 was made earlier in the year or something like that. I don't think it was because of the ratings or anything. Besides, they stopped filming quite sometime ago, and the ending was far from satisfying anyway. They're lucky they revealed that PG2 is in production at the beginning of the show. I would have thrown my shoe at the television if i knew that that was to be the final ending..(sigh, yeah, i knew that Ling wouldn't board the plane...i was just crying inside when James said he brought her her gloves...outside, i was saying swear words -_-)

What's wrong with having more angst in dramas or dramedies?! Can we only watch angsty Singaporean films on Arts Central?! Sigh...forget it.
    Hmm...?

i agree with the lack of substance in our local dramas. unfortunately, i doubt its a situation that can be changed. maybe gradually i guess. i've worked in a local production house and while i have witnessed quality ideas being suggested, part of the feedback that the broadcaster throws back is that usually the 'quality stuff' is too "profound" for most singaporeans to comprehend, must less enjoy. hence, they tend to request for simpler content to suit the masses; sometimes even inclining toward the lame, fluffy stuff especially when it comes to humour (best eg: PCK). to them, such content partly enables higher ratings. i guess what they have to realise is that that there is an increasing pool of educated viewers (who should not be treated as merely niche audiences) and unless they are willing to experiment, the quality of local tv will never improve.

I wonder how the broadcaster came to the conclusion that Singaporeans can't appreciate truly intelligent and witty dramas? Or are their choices for local productions a mere reflection of their personal tastes? Ugh Phua Chu Kang made me cringe especially into its final season not that I watched it. I remembered them screening it on TV Mobile and it was so unfunny and tasteless it offended my senses and the worst thing about TV Mobile is that you can't tune it out while riding to your destination unless the reception gets scrambled.

I don't hold out much hope for a change in the style of Parental Guidance because needless to say, the production company obviously thinks that their formula worked. This is the only drama I've watched faithfully each week but achieved no viewer satisfaction. Instead of griping about the drama every week, I guess I could get better entertainment watching my doses of CSI and House.

There are a couple of rare local English dramas that weren't trying too hard to be cute and witty. Like My Own, with Flora Chan and Zhu Mimi, is one of them. It's a pity very few people watched it. It didn't even get a thread here.

Quote Originally Posted by dcp0134
    i've worked in a local production house and while i have witnessed quality ideas being suggested, part of the feedback that the broadcaster throws back is that usually the 'quality stuff' is too "profound" for most singaporeans to comprehend, must less enjoy. hence, they tend to request for simpler content to suit the masses; sometimes even inclining toward the lame, fluffy stuff especially when it comes to humour (best eg: PCK). to them, such content partly enables higher ratings.
    Oh my god. *closes eyes* Why do some people assume that we Singaporeans are an unintelligent bunch of people? Now, what we really do not understand is why writers have to rely on a slapstick style of humour to get by in Singapore. I feel it is both unfair to the production team and to us viewers living in Singapore. Each party is wrongly evaluated by the other; the Production Team feels that us viewers cannot appreciate and understand good plots or lines with greater depth, and we viewers feel that the Production Team is incapable of coming up with something more intelligent, witty and heartfelt. I entirely agree with you. Unless the writers are willing to experiment, we will never improve. They need to come out of their 'safety zone'. By 'safety zone', i mean that they try to entice Singaporeans to watch local dramadies/comedies in the easiest way possible- Slapstick humour. It is something which everyone understands, but would not like to live on! Too much of it makes it dull and boring. Which is how i feel about the PCK. The only thing i look forward to in such comedies/dramadies are how the relationships between the characters develop. Nothing further than that interests me. I think that 'Under One Roof' is better than PCK though. It is more heartfelt for one, its humour is better written, and it has more realistic and well developed characters acting as satires to us Singaporeans. It has the right touch of local flavour as well, in my opinion.

But back to my point, local writers need to understand that we are mature citizens and not mere airheads. In my opinion, everyone has the capability to understand mature plots or storylines. Which is why dramas from overseas receive great response here in Singapore. I feel that local writers need to refresh their opinions of Singaporeans by dedicating some time to read such forums or carry out surveys regarding the perceived standard of local dramas by us locals. Societies mature and change, as do the levels of maturity and depth in storylines. We need to move on from 'Goldilocks and the three bears' to 'Goldilock's scandal and the trio's revenge' or something. Comedy or dramedy writers should also watch comedies like 'Friends' and take notes. Such comedies are not big hits all over the world for nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by jade_frosts
    I don't hold out much hope for a change in the style of Parental Guidance because needless to say, the production company obviously thinks that their formula worked.
    I'm sorry to say that i think you are entirely right in saying so. Because it certainly appears to be the case. They were very confident to have planned to make a sequel even before it was aired for the first time. -_-

Quote Originally Posted by convoy
    There are a couple of rare local English dramas that weren't trying too hard to be cute and witty. Like My Own, with Flora Chan and Zhu Mimi, is one of them. It's a pity very few people watched it. It didn't even get a thread here.
    I watched several episodes of this drama series. But i simply cannot remember much of it, or even why i stopped watching it. I think it was because i was busy with school or something, but i watched some bits of it because i was a fan of Flora's Still, i remember that this show definitely soars in comparison to PG in terms of sincerity.
    Last edited by Polgara; 05-14-07 at 05:06 PM.
    Hmm...?