Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Favourite Period Dramas

Default Favourite Period Dramas

I created this thread before spcnet crashed and this was somehow lost in the confusion

I'm a big fan of period dramas, although I know a lot of people find them very boring. I'm yet to find a guy who doesn't fall asleep watching Pride and Prejudice.

Here are some of the ones I like and recommend:

Pride and Prejudice, BBC version 1995

This is probably the most well known adaptation by BBC, with good reason- it's got a superb cast starring Colin "wetshirt" Firth as Mr Darcy and Jennifer Ehle as Lizzy Bennet. The acting is spot on and the script is very faithful to the book. Then entire series has a very authentic feel to it.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f178/0-0-0/s1785358.jpg')

North and South, BBC

This adaptation of Elizabeth Gaskell's North and South is a much less well known series compared to Pride and Prejudice, and I find that unfortunate because as much as i like P&P, I actually prefer this over Pride and Prejudice, as much as I like both. There's a lot more substance in this story and the male character is as likeable as Mr Darcy (this is saying something)

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f178/0-0-0/3485_8_north-and-south.jpg')

Some of the movies I like include:

Little Women
    starring Winona Ryder. Definitely worth a watch, good family movie, some good acting- generally very solidly adapted

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f178/0-0-0/little-women-DVDcover.jpg')

French Lieutenan'ts Woman
    Stars Meryl Streep (says everything)

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f178/0-0-0/french-lieutenants.jpg')

Shakespeare in Love
    A little corny at times, but overall a very enjoyable film to watch.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f178/0-0-0/B00001U0E1.jpg')

Finding Neverland

This film is really magical- i absolutely loved it. Great cast with Johnny Depp and Kate Winslet

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f178/0-0-0/617645_m.jpg')

Ever After
    A Cinderella adaptation, but very warming and fun to watch. Drew Barrymore is adorable and the acting is overall commendable.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f178/0-0-0/Ever-After.jpg')

The Crucible
    Adapted from the play by Arthur Millar, the screenplay was actually written by him as well, so obviously very faithful. It's quite a powerful movie even though i still prefer the play.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f178/0-0-0/THE20CRUCIBLE20FLAT.jpg')

Pride and Prejudice

Those that found the BBC version draggy, I have no qualms about recommending the Hollywood adaptation which is quite commendable considering. Keira Knightley does a great job with her acting, Mr Darcy is ok. The remaining cast is so-so, there's not the same sense of authenticity, but it's still enjoyable to view and compare.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f178/0-0-0/20060218-orgulho-e-preconceito.jpg')

I'm also looking forward to seeing Miss Potter and Becoming Jane Austen.

Some people find period dramas extremely boring and others absolutely love them.

What do you think of period dramas? And what are some of your favourites?

Azumi
    hero
    大爺來了﹗

想唱就唱, 唱得向亮! 力揚加油

MAGIC SHOOTER HISASHI MITSUI!

What do you think of period dramas? And what are some of your favourites?

period drama is very engaging if you have great actors and good actresses playing them. else, it would be very boring with their flat accents and wooden portrayals. i like them very much, especially PnP and ............. many more
    Last edited by sheraldine; 02-09-07 at 05:05 AM.

I thought the older Pride and Prejudice series with Colin Firth was much better than the newer one with Keira Knightley. The older one was much more faithful to the book, and Mr Darcy seemed more like...Mr Darcy. It seems that the newer version changed the book more to fit the audience.

But, I guess the back story with Mr and Mrs Bennet hating each other wouldn't have worked so well in a 1-2 hour film, compared to a mini-series.
    I am human and I need to be loved just like everybody else does.

Quote Originally Posted by 0-0-0
    North and South, BBC

This adaptation of Elizabeth Gaskell's North and South is a much less well known series compared to Pride and Prejudice, and I find that unfortunate because as much as i like P&P, I actually prefer this over Pride and Prejudice, as much as I like both. There's a lot more substance in this story and the male character is as likeable as Mr Darcy (this is saying something)

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f178/0-0-0/3485_8_north-and-south.jpg')
    I've never seen this one, but there's one with the exact same name that's about the civil war, with Patrick Swayze (who I preferred in Dirty Dancing, but alas) and Kirstie Alley.

Shakespeare in Love
    A little corny at times, but overall a very enjoyable film to watch.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f178/0-0-0/B00001U0E1.jpg')
    I love this movie. Totally deserved the Oscar. Gwyneth Paltrow is very good in this film, and Judi Dench's short portrayal of Elizabeth was top class.

Ever After
    A Cinderella adaptation, but very warming and fun to watch. Drew Barrymore is adorable and the acting is overall commendable.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f178/0-0-0/Ever-After.jpg')
    I love Drew Barrymore and this is one of my fave Cinderella adaptations. For once Cinderella doesn't have to be the damsel in distress.

Pride and Prejudice

Those that found the BBC version draggy, I have no qualms about recommending the Hollywood adaptation which is quite commendable considering. Keira Knightley does a great job with her acting, Mr Darcy is ok. The remaining cast is so-so, there's not the same sense of authenticity, but it's still enjoyable to view and compare.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f178/0-0-0/20060218-orgulho-e-preconceito.jpg')
    I can't say I like this adaptation nearly as much as BBC's version. While it might just be my opinion, I didn't like Keira Knightley's acting. Keira Knightley is too dramatic and giggly - at moments it made me feel like she was Lydia. Not to mention she's too beautiful for the role - Lizzy is meant to be appreciated for her personality. Okay, it might not've been awful, but Keira Knightley's Elizabeth was okay IMO, not Oscar nomination-worthy. I mean, even Audrey Hepburn didn't get a nomination for My Fair Lady...how did Keira Knightley get one for Pride and Prejudice?

It also might be partially because I don't like Jane Austen's works. I tend to like classics overall, but out of Austen's writing, Pride and Prejudice is okay, Emma is pretty dreadful, nothing else is worth remarking upon. I've really tried to like Jane Austen, since she is such a British icon and almost everyone loves her, but as far as Victorian literature goes, Jane Austen isn't for me. All three Bronte sisters, I like...along with Charles Dickens, Thackeray, Oscar Wilde...I just don't like Jane Austen.

To add to 0-0-0's list, I also really like ELIZABETH starring Cate Blanchett in the title role. Made me a fan of Cate Blanchett. Historical accuracy is okay, but overall a very interesting movie, beautiful production design, a cast that is right-on, plus Queen Elizabeth I stands out to me amongst English monarchs...great movie.
    I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know? -Ernest Hemingway

haha i only knew of 2 bronte sisters (emily & charlotte), i'm obviously living in the dark all these years >_<
    i didn't like wuthering heights, but i loved jane eyre.
    as for austen, i loved pride & prejudice so much i went to look for her other works. they were a pain to read and i never finished any of them.

I've watched most of these adaptations. I liked P&P with Colin Firth. His chemistry with the actress was good, the length was appropriately long, and ... well, I just enjoy Colin Firth's presence ^_^... the one with Keira Knightly was okay. I liked the cinematography, and I didn't mind a beautiful Lizzy. I mean, the book said she's pretty too, although not as much as Jane is. They decided to go with a more lively lizzy rather than a composed one, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Maybe they wanted to display her good-humour side.

*side track* when did that anniversary dvd come out? the cover looks so much better than the one i have >_<

2 other mini-series i thought of are "merlin" and "the 10th kingdom"... a little more on the fantasy side. i really liked merlin. as for the 10th kingdom, it sounded interesting, but it was a little choppy.

A favorite of mine would be "Sleepy Hollow".

Quote Originally Posted by hinako442003
    2 other mini-series i thought of are "merlin" and "the 10th kingdom"... a little more on the fantasy side. i really liked merlin. as for the 10th kingdom, it sounded interesting, but it was a little choppy.
    Ah yes, I loved "Merlin" starring Sam Neill. It even inspired one of my first email addresses.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

I like the adaptation of "Emma" with Gwyneth Paltrow as Emma. "Little Women" with Winona Ryder, as well as "Finding Neverland" were good too. Other nice ones would include "Stage Beauty" starring Claire Danes as well as Wilde's classic, "The Importance of being Earnest" with Reese Witherspoon. And my all-time favourite, "My Fair Lady" starring Audrey Hepburn as Eliza Dolittle
    Last edited by sunnysnow; 02-13-07 at 12:54 AM.
    There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.

Wise Fool

To tell you the truth, I hated Finding Neverland. I just...didn't like it. It was kinda a boring storyline to me. I actually know someone who fell asleep in the middle of it. Oh well.
    hu ge, yang mi, yuan hong, liu shishi.
    wang luodan, li guangjie.

I live out of a suitcase, but the heart is at home on the lake.

I enjoyed Romeo & Juliet with Claire Danes and Leonardo Dicaprio, and I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the Titanic - one of my favorite period romances of all time.

Stephen Poliakoff's "The Lost Prince", a 10/10 rating from me. I rented this two-parter because I read one good review and boy am I glad that I listened to the reviewer. I watched and watched and couldn't stop. It was one of the most interesting, warm and cruel stories I've ever seen. After seeing it, I said to myself that I had to buy this mini-series. After I bought it, I watched it again late the same day. My dad who usually sleeps early watched along and he stayed until the end; all two parts. It is now one of my most treasured DVD. It is truly a masterpiece.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/drama/lostprince/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lost_Prince

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B00015HXDG.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg')
    My obsessions: Joy Division, New Order, Bones, The Office.

Do bears bear? Do bees bee?

does anybody know WINDSTRUNG....
    "Deep South.."
    "when you rush you miss the important things when you take your time you find new paths"
    "Beware the fury of a patient man."

Quote Originally Posted by sunnysnow
    I like the adaptation of "Emma" with Gwyneth Paltrow as Emma. As well as Wilde's classic, "The Importance of being Earnest" with Reese Witherspoon.
    hm, i haven't had the chance to watch Emma, but i've read the novel and i think it's quite a light read. Mr Knightley-- now there's a symbolic name for you. I'm always hesitant about watching adaptations of novels where i like the main male character, because very few male actors pull them off for me.

The Importance of Being Earnest i thought was pretty average. I much preferred the play.

Quote Originally Posted by hinako442003
    i didn't like wuthering heights, but i loved jane eyre.
    as for austen, i loved pride & prejudice so much i went to look for her other works. they were a pain to read and i never finished any of them.
    i liked Jane Eyre, but similarly, i couldn't get through Wuthering Heights. It bored me to death. If you liked P&P, normally you would also enjoy Emma. In fact, I would probably recommend Emma first.

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalis
    I thought the older Pride and Prejudice series with Colin Firth was much better than the newer one with Keira Knightley. The older one was much more faithful to the book, and Mr Darcy seemed more like...Mr Darcy. It seems that the newer version changed the book more to fit the audience.
    yes, i think most people do prefer the older version, and personally, i do too, but i don't think the new version was bad. Now if you want to see BAD MR DARCY, watch Bride and Prejudice - oh god, that Mr Darcy was ... oh god... don't make me recall. I stopped watching because he was just sooooo bad....

Keira was really the only particular highlight of P&P 06. Colin Firth clearly rules, and what was up with the 06 Bingley? Crispin was way cuter

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky
    I've never seen this one, but there's one with the exact same name that's about the civil war, with Patrick Swayze (who I preferred in Dirty Dancing, but alas) and Kirstie Alley.
    I REALLY REALLY recommend North and South to anyone who enjoyed P&P or any similar pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky
    While it might just be my opinion, I didn't like Keira Knightley's acting. Keira Knightley is too dramatic and giggly - at moments it made me feel like she was Lydia. Not to mention she's too beautiful for the role - Lizzy is meant to be appreciated for her personality
    i don't think she deserves the oscar nomination, but the whole film was more dramatic, not just Keira. I admire that neither Lizzy nor Darcy came out "imitating" BBC version and tried to do something unique with their character. Whether it worked or not is a different matter, but i admired the way Keira handled her role. Lizzy is meant to be beautiful- not like Jane, but still beautiful. Her personality shines through, but i don't think Keira was too bad a choice although i personally don't think she looks good in period clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by bellamia
    I enjoyed Romeo & Juliet with Claire Danes and Leonardo Dicaprio, and I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the Titanic - one of my favorite period romances of all time.
    Ahh the Titanic. One of my fave movies of all time. Amazing sets, costumes, direction, acting...music (my heart will go oooon and oooon) - no wonder it got so many Oscars! Leonardo diCaprio was cute in that movie too

i don't think she deserves the oscar nomination, but the whole film was more dramatic, not just Keira. I admire that neither Lizzy nor Darcy came out "imitating" BBC version and tried to do something unique with their character. Whether it worked or not is a different matter, but i admired the way Keira handled her role. Lizzy is meant to be beautiful- not like Jane, but still beautiful. Her personality shines through, but i don't think Keira was too bad a choice although i personally don't think she looks good in period clothing.
    Keira's not a bad actress, but I don't think she's a phenomenal one either. Lizzy is meant to be noticed for her personality rather than her looks though. However, Keira just seemed too dramatic, giggly...always with that grinning expression, and her facial expressions are a bit too limited. I didn't buy Keira's performance in P&P though, especially considering it was Oscar-nominated...however, I would say she was much better than whoever played Mr. Darcy. No match for Colin Firth.
    I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know? -Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by sunnysnow
    And my all-time favourite, "My Fair Lady" starring Audrey Hepburn as Eliza Dolittle
    Oh yes, how did I forget that one? Obviously I wasn't there to see Julie on Broadway, but Audrey Hepburn will always be Eliza for me. Delightful movie too. But Audrey was snubbed of that Oscar nomination! Sure, she got dubbed (I feel so bad for how the studio didn't even tell her she was going to get dubbed), but there's more to the role than singing. Anyway, I think Audrey's voice, while not as pretty as Marni Nixon's, suited Eliza more, and they could've at least let her sing some of the songs.

Quote Originally Posted by bellamia
    i personally, really didn't like Romeo and Juliet.

I really thought it was retarded the whole way through...

Romeo: "Draw thy capier!"
    (pulls out a gun)

*audience rolls around in laughter*

I preferred the zephereli (sp?) version, even if there was a little more nudity that i thought appropriate.

Another one i like is GONE WITH THE WIND. this is one of my all time favourites and has the most perfect actress for Scarlett, plus the fact that like BBC's Pride and Prejudice and North and South, it's not rushed through as much. I loved Gone with the wind.

Sparky, the P&P 06 version was, i agree, much too dramatic. I mean, the clearest memory i have is of jagged cliffs o.o

Too melodramatic in a sense- hollywood style, and i died when i saw the "US ending" Thank god they didn't have that in Oz.

sense and sensibility, mary poppins and Dr. Zhivago
    The problem with the rat race is that even if you win, you're still a rat.
    $this->handle_bbcode_url(str_replace('\"', '"', 'http://66.7.192.165/banners/full_banner2.jpg'), '')

I remember liking Les Miserables, yes, the one with Geoffrey Rush, Uma Thurman, Liam Neeson, and Claire Danes. When I first saw it, I was deeply moved. I'm not sure if I'll have the same thoughts after reading the novel and watching it again. But we'll see someday but probably not any time soon. Life is still too busy.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

the one n only one....FORREST GUMP!!! man, i watched tat movie for about 10 times but never get bored with it....

Quote Originally Posted by SkyKing
    the one n only one....FORREST GUMP!!! man, i watched tat movie for about 10 times but never get bored with it....
    Is "Forrest Gump" a period drama? I guess it is but I sure don't think about '60s as old enough.
    My obsessions: Joy Division, New Order, Bones, The Office.

Do bears bear? Do bees bee?