Thread: Incest Themes

Default Incest Themes

Both implied and actual themes in The Banquet and Curse of the Golden Flower. What is up with that? Same w/ Gladiator, etc.

I live out of a suitcase, but the heart is at home on the lake.

Quote Originally Posted by yearning
    Both implied and actual themes in The Banquet and Curse of the Golden Flower. What is up with that? Same w/ Gladiator, etc.
    Nothing surprising! The incest theme is popular and redundant in K-dramas. I guess people like to see irony and there is no fate worse than being in love with your own brother/sister/cousin/step brother/step sister/…you get the drill.

Quote Originally Posted by bellamia
    Nothing surprising! The incest theme is popular and redundant in K-dramas. I guess people like to see irony and there is no fate worse than being in love with your own brother/sister/cousin/step brother/step sister/…you get the drill.
    I guess you can be in love with your stepbrother if there are no blood relations at all...but how do you fall in love with your own brother? unless I didn't know he is..imagine the devastation when you find out....

I hope this is not spoilers for anyone, but in the new series made by Gu Long starring Liu Tao and Nicholas Tse, they will play two people who fall in love but are yet real bro and sis.

Quote Originally Posted by strawberry
    I guess you can be in love with your stepbrother if there are no blood relations at all...but how do you fall in love with your own brother? unless I didn't know he is..imagine the devastation when you find out....
    Just ask Mr Duan Yu how he felt when he learned all his girls who he had a connection with are his half-sisters, even WYY, up until his mom died and revealed to him.

I live out of a suitcase, but the heart is at home on the lake.

Quote Originally Posted by Felix
    I hope this is not spoilers for anyone, but in the new series made by Gu Long starring Liu Tao and Nicholas Tse, they will play two people who fall in love but are yet real bro and sis.
    Wait, I hear that the love is only one-sided from Liu Tao's character, whereas, Nic's character likes Angelina's character.

The ones they present in k-dramas are a bit different though. Those are more of the "soft incest" type, where the two individuals don't know they're related, and it becomes all tragic, etc. or it's not really "true incest", i.e. step brother and step sister kind of deal.

Well, I guess the ones in The Banquet and Curse of the Golden Flower (at least of the incest parts) are not really "true incest" since it's more of a step mom and step son deal, but it's a bit more taboo than long lost siblings who mistakenly love each other.

Old boy is the most incest movie iv seen!
    大爺來了﹗

想唱就唱, 唱得向亮! 力揚加油

MAGIC SHOOTER HISASHI MITSUI!

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

Spanking The Monkey - mother and son - the worst kind!

Wait, I hear that the love is only one-sided from Liu Tao's character, whereas, Nic's character likes Angelina's character.
    Ah, so looks like they changed the story in the series then, which seems understandable to satisfy all the fans who want "happily ever after".

The War Zone (Father/daughter) - Tim Roth
    The Cement Garden (Brother/sister) - Andrew Birkin
    Close My eyes (Brother/sister) - Stephen Poliakoff
    Spanking the Monkey (Mother/son) - David Russell

People have been writing and performing dramas with incest themes since at least the time of the Ancient Greeks. Ever watch or read OEDIPUS REX by Sophocles?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    People have been writing and performing dramas with incest themes since at least the time of the Ancient Greeks. Ever watch or read OEDIPUS REX by Sophocles?
    Actually Oedipus Rex was on my mind as I started this thread lol--examined that in depth for my senior English class project.

But it's an interesting topic, given that it's so taboo, but it seems to have resurfaced on the big screens for Asian movies lately. Whereas the homosexual theme was prevalent consistenly.

Once saw a program about full-blooded brothers and sisters, separated for whatever reason at an early age, meeting, falling in love, marrying and having children BEFORE finally finding out the truth either through living relatives or genetic testing.

It's true, fact is often stranger than fiction..
    Zhang Ziyi CSC: news, biography, gallery, filmography, forums, more...