Thread: Kiu 3 Wai and his wife: the "Kents" of the Jin Yong Universe?

Default Kiu 3 Wai and his wife: the "Kents" of the Jin Yong Universe?

In the Superman mythos, Kal-El's adoptive parents on Earth, Jonathan and Martha Kent, are usually identified as the source of the moral grounding that caused him to use his vast powers not to bully others or conquer the world, but to serve and protect those in need as Superman. With his vast powers, it would be easy for Superman to subjugate the people of Earth. What prevents him from doing so, however, is the morality that the simple, decent Mr. and Mrs. Kent instilled in him while he grew up as Clark Kent. It was Jonathan "Pa" Kent and Martha "Ma" Kent who taught Clark that when he became a man, he must use his powers for the good of humanity.

In Jin Yong's universe, Kiu 3 Wai and his wife seemed to fulfill a similar role for Kiu Fung. Like Kal-El, Kiu Fung was an orphaned (or so he believed) child from a foreign place. He was blessed with great abilities and powers that could be very destructive if misused. Kiu 3 Wai and his wife, like the Kents, were simple, humble, and moral people who lived by a code of compassion and justice. Kiu 3 Wai and his wife showed Kiu Fung the value of kindness and justice when they raised him, and thus, when Kiu Fung became an adult and one of the most powerful men in wulin, he (like Superman) used his great abilities righteously and heroically.

The Kents are often regarded as the DC Universe's unsung heroes because it was their raising of Clark Kent that made him into the hero that the world knew as Superman. Likewise, shouldn't Kiu 3 Wai and his wife get a good deal of credit for how Kiu Fung turned out?

Final thought: Siu Yeun San, Kiu Fung's biological father, could destroy Kiu 3 Wai effortlessly in a physical confrontation. One was a fighter of supreme ability while the other was no fighter at all. Kiu 3 Wai, however, was a FAR better father to Kiu Fung than Siu Yeun San ever was.

What you talking about Willis?

Quote Originally Posted by ltcuoi
    What you talking about Willis?
    You need to be somewhat familiar with the SUPERMAN mythos to understand, "Arnold."

I recommend starting with the Christopher Reeve SUPERMAN movie from 1978.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    Final thought: Siu Yeun San, Kiu Fung's biological father, could destroy Kiu 3 Wai effortlessly in a physical confrontation. One was a fighter of supreme ability while the other was no fighter at all. Kiu 3 Wai, however, was a FAR better father to Kiu Fung than Siu Yeun San ever was.
    XYS is such a irresponsible father, after he survived from the fall he just went to shaolin to read those stupid manuals instead of taking his son back. When his son became a successful leader XYS should thank Kiu 3 Wai, instead of killing him

reminds me of Goku's life too, i think his saiyan brother is a pretty evil person
    在下日月神教陸教主是也

I wouldn't reference Kui Feng as Clark Kent, have you seen Smallville?

Quote Originally Posted by Yeung Gor
    I wouldn't reference Kui Feng as Clark Kent, have you seen Smallville?
    Here and there. SMALLVILLE is the latest telling of Clark Kent's formative years, but not the only one. The classic telling is the Silver Age SUPERBOY comic books, which showed how Clark grew up in Smallville during the mid-20th Century. This was revised and modernized in John Byrne's MAN OF STEEL comic book miniseries in 1986, and further refined in Mark Waid's BIRTHRIGHT in 2004. Other treatments include the Christopher Reeve SUPERMAN movies of the 1970s and 1980s, and SUPERMAN RETURNS (briefly).

In each case, however, one thing remains consistent: Clark was raised by good people of simple, but universal human values of decency, honesty, courage, compassion, and humility. Clark took these lessons to heart and they remained his moral foundation even after he began his career as Superman.

Likewise, I believe that Kiu Fung's moral outlook and principles are rooted in what he learned growing up in the Kiu household. Like the Kents, the Kius seemed to be decent, simple folk of strong moral principles.

Here and there. .
    I see. Not enough to get annoy like I did. The only time Clark reminds me of Kiu Feng is when he was affected by the red kryptonite.

Awesome job Ken. Never thought about it like that. Don't think that Jin Yong was influenced by Siegal (Superman's Creator) but there is a definite parallel.

Is Superman the most powerful in the Marvel universe?
    In general I don't like Western comics but some superheroes of Marvel's are quite interesting to me such as Speedsters: Barry Allen & Bart Allen.
    AFAIK, several supervillains such as: the Anti-Monitor, the Monitor,... could subdue Superman easily.
    Yang Guo & Zhou Botong said in Chapters 6, 11 & 25 of ROCH:
    - 这道姑也算得美了,只是还不及桃花岛郭伯母,更加不及我姑姑。
    - 原来郭伯母竟是这般美貌,小时候我却不觉得。
    - 龙姑娘,我瞧你品貌才智,和那小黄蓉不相上下,武功也跟她差不离。

Quote Originally Posted by Huang Rong
    Is Superman the most powerful in the Marvel universe?
    In general I don't like Western comics but some superheroes of Marvel's are quite interesting to me such as Speedsters: Barry Allen & Bart Allen.
    AFAIK, several supervillains such as: the Anti-Monitor, the Monitor,... could subdue Superman easily.
    Superman and the Flashes (Jay Garrick, Barry Allen, Wally West, and Bart Allen) are DC Comics characters, not Marvel. Marvel's characters are Spider-Man, Daredevil, the X-Men, and the Fantastic Four.

And yes, there are cosmic beings that could kill Superman easily; these would be the "Janitor Monk" beings of the DC Universe.

so superman is not in the Marvel universe, it seems that no-one in Marvel comics can stand a chance against DC's characters.
    i even doubt that superman is more powerful than the speedsters too, since those lightning guys can exceed the speed of light and go back in time to kill superman when he was just a little kid .
    Yang Guo & Zhou Botong said in Chapters 6, 11 & 25 of ROCH:
    - 这道姑也算得美了,只是还不及桃花岛郭伯母,更加不及我姑姑。
    - 原来郭伯母竟是这般美貌,小时候我却不觉得。
    - 龙姑娘,我瞧你品貌才智,和那小黄蓉不相上下,武功也跟她差不离。

so superman is not in the Marvel universe, it seems that no-one in Marvel comics can stand a chance against DC's characters.
    Marvel has its share of powerhouses that can go toe-to-toe with DC's best. Thor can match Superman in raw strength (and because Thor is a god, his magical nature makes Superman vulnerable to his attacks). Beings such as the Silver Surfer are no worse than equal to and perhaps more powerful than Superman.

i even doubt that superman is more powerful than the speedsters too, since those lightning guys can exceed the speed of light and go back in time to kill superman when he was just a little kid .
    The Flashes are faster than Superman, and their vibratory powers make them threats to even very powerful beings (the Wally West Flash once destroyed the Anti-Monitor's physical form with his Speed Force attack).

Marvel does have alot of powerful characters that can beat superman with ease, such as Thanos with infinity Gaulet, Living Tribunal, Eternity, Pheonix, etc. Some of these characters can crush galaxies and even fabric of time. They are essentially godlike.

I prefer Marvel over DC, marvel seems to have more interesting characters.
    Last edited by Yeung Gor; 02-12-07 at 03:59 PM.

Marvel does have alot of powerful characters that can beat superman with ease, such as Thanos with infinity Gaulet, Living Tribunal, Eternity, Pheonix, etc. Some of these characters can crush galaxies and even fabric of time. They are essentially godlike. .
    DC has its share of cosmics as well: the Spectre, the Monitors, the Guardians of Oa, Parallax, Ion, the New Gods, the wizard Shazam, Fifth Dimensional imps, etc.

DC has its share of cosmics as well: the Spectre, the Monitors, the Guardians of Oa, Parallax, Ion, the New Gods, the wizard Shazam, Fifth Dimensional imps, etc.
    Yup, most of the main characters of both universe isn't really that powerful when compared to the cosmic beings.

Yup, most of the main characters of both universe isn't really that powerful when compared to the cosmic beings.
    Fortunately, the superheroes don't need to fight the cosmics every day...much in the same way that Kiu Fung, etc., don't need to fight the Janitor Monk every day.

Oh yea, Ken, don't forget, the closest thing to a superhero in JY universe is the Condorman Yeung Gor

Oh yea, Ken, don't forget, the closest thing to a superhero in JY universe is the Condorman Yeung Gor
    He's got the mask. He's got the "secret identity." He's got the cave. He's got the bird-themed sidekick. He's got the secret weapon. He's got the special superpower. He's got the secret weakness. Yeah, pretty much...