Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Should we switch to Vista or continue using Win XP?

its not worth to download vista on to yr comouter but it is worth more if you wait to by a computer with vista already downloaded. its already out on laptop but very very pricy

I will not switch to Vista since it costs (upgrading your hardware and buying the OS) more then the benefits I get.
    But if you really want to upgrade to Vista, wait until service release 1. Otherwise you are one of the so many microsoft guinea-pigs

Quote Originally Posted by maverick911
    I will not switch to Vista since it costs (upgrading your hardware and buying the OS) more then the benefits I get.
    But if you really want to upgrade to Vista, wait until service release 1. Otherwise you are one of the so many microsoft guinea-pigs
    I agree with that too, there are so many bugs in vista. One of the bugs that I have with Vista is that my new graphic card (ATI xt1950) does not work under Vista for some reason and i have no choice but downgrade it to xp again. I won't even buy it, I would just dl the full version instead of paying that out rage price that they have.
    Last edited by Wild-Fire; 03-17-07 at 04:12 PM.
    PLA

Wait a few months for that OS to be stable and a couple of years before everyones PC's and notebooks can actually utilize the features properly

Currently in Moss, Silver. Next stop....still Moss, Silver

Quote Originally Posted by strife au
    Wait a few months for that OS to be stable and a couple of years before everyones PC's and notebooks can actually utilize the features properly

my...my...why do i feel this new member so familiar??

Quote Originally Posted by ghostdarTeal'c
    my...my...why do i feel this new member so familiar??
    哈哈 ! You must be hallucinating then, I'm a noobiwankenewbie !

btw.. whys you cool sig gone?

Currently in Moss, Silver. Next stop....still Moss, Silver

哈哈 ! You must be hallucinating then, I'm a noobiwankenewbie !
    need to take my med now then.....but the missing underscore is somewhat obvious..

btw.. whys you cool sig gone?
    i usually disable the sig option if im only posting one liner like this...but since you missed it so much, here it is.....

Uhm *looks around* sorry mod for going off topic with this one....cant help greeting our new forummer here....
    Da One and Only,
    ghostdarTeal'c

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Idols: Mark Dacascos and Vicki Zhao Wei
    Fav Artists: Zhang Tie Lin, Cheng E Kin, Vin Diesel, Jet Li, Amy Chan Sau Man, Michelle Rodriguez, Theresa Lee Yee Hong
    Fav Series: The Great General, Heroine of The Yangs, Huan Zhu Ge Ge I & II, Secret Battle of The Majesties
    Fav Movies: The Matrix I, G.I Jane, Fist of Legend, Drive, Gladiator, 2009 Lost Memories, So Close, Crying Freeman

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius; Commander of the Army of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor; Marcus Aurilius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife, and I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.

- The Spaniard -

Quote Originally Posted by ice cream
    its not worth to download vista on to yr comouter but it is worth more if you wait to by a computer with vista already downloaded. its already out on laptop but very very pricy
    Yep, that's what I'm gonna do. I usually switch PC every time there's a new OS.
    My obsessions: Joy Division, New Order, Bones, The Office.

Do bears bear? Do bees bee?

I used to live up north but then it got freezing so i flew all the way down south..now it is boiling

Most computers that have Vista preinstalled usually don't have the 'full' vista version..

I would suggest you keep XP for a while, or 2000....since Vista, the OS itself needs around 1GB RAM...just for some pretty translucent graphical effects =.="", and not to mention some games are not compatible with Vista, since Vista uses DirectX 10, and you cant downgrade to DX9.0c...

For people that have upgraded to Vista from XP/2000/ME, it would be wise to update drivers for video cards, sound cards etc as some may not be compatible with XP.
    meePiT

With virtualisation (like WMware) and dualboot programs (like bootcamp), you can have more then one OS on you PC, why not try:
    - Apple MacOS X 10.5 (Codename: Leopard, which will launch very soon)
    - Ubuntu 6.10 Linux with XGL and Kiba-Dock
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYsxaMyFV2Y&eurl=

Quote Originally Posted by maverick911
    With virtualisation (like WMware) and dualboot programs (like bootcamp), you can have more then one OS on you PC, why not try:
    - Apple MacOS X 10.5 (Codename: Leopard, which will launch very soon)
    - Ubuntu 6.10 Linux with XGL and Kiba-Dock
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYsxaMyFV2Y&eurl=
    unless you're an enthusiast or a computer geek, most ppl have no need for dualboot and virtualisation programs.
    If you don't like my flag, then you can kiss my rebel a55

Do not switch to Vista for now. Let Microsoft come out with more patches and fixes first. Vista is a nightmare now. It's very buggy. This version should be called Vista Beta.

Some of the problems I encounter

1) Cannot extract valid zip files. I've no problem extracting the same zip file in xp or using winzip, but vista said the file is corupted. I first tried to enter the zip file by double-clicking it. The inside was blank. So, I tried to extract it, and it said 'file corrupted'. I tried opening the same file with winzip and it's ok.
    I've check up the problem on the net and it seems, I'm not the only one facing this problem.

2) It's incompatible with Lotus Smartsuite and so far, I can't find any solution yet.

3) We have just have the notebook with Vista for 3 days and the memory is already 60%. We have a 1GB RAM and running Vista Basic.

4) This might not be a bug, and someone might like it too, but I found Vista super paranoid. When Windows Defender is on, we have problem getting online. Sometimes u can load the page, sometime u can't. Also, CPU usage gone to near 100%.

But, Vista not all bad. I do like some of its security features. One of them is the OS which will always get permission from u when u want to open a program or install something.

Maybe Vista will be a great OS later, but, for now, keep your XP.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Looks like we would have to wait for the service pack to be released.
    ..ext88

Many corporate IT departments will not change to a new operating system for at least two tears after introduction. They will usually have a machines or two with the system installed for testing. The last thing they need is several hundred or more PCs in use with problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck21
    That's not logical at all. How can XP can't perfom anymore? Is there a time bomb attached to every OS?
    tat's when my motherboard crash......tat's when my XP can't perform anymore....

What type of system specification are you running? Windows Vista needs a minimum of 1 Gig RAM to run (and even then it's straining, Vista list 512 as the minimum, don't listen to those dogs..). The recommended RAM need to run Vista would be 2 Gigahertz. So before you think about switching make sure your computer can handle it.

Vista definately have its perks.. It's new features would bolster any multimedia computer's arsenal. It has a very friendly User Interface (as if windows wasn't easy enough already, anyone remember DOS? ahh those 486 days..) and those Widgets are extremely useful for mobility. If you own a labtop and need it for work and always on the go, definately get Vista.

I still use Windows 2000 Proffessional, call it a fetish, but to me this was the best version. Nice and stable.

Default If you don't already know...

Your recent computer may be loaded with stuff you don't want but paid for unknowingly. Check this:
    http://www.pcdecrapifier.com/

after months of playing and testing Vista on my dev PC, i finally installed Vista Ultimate on my HTPC.

I waited this long to install Vista on the HTPC because I have so many addon cards and devices that didn't have Vista compatible drivers during Vista's release.

The installation was clean - i didn't experience any issues.

Performance wise, I didn't see any drop or gain over XP, and I can't be bothered running a benchmark program.

I'm not too impressed with IE 7 which seem buggy. In particular the MSN Videos portion where the ads run just fine but the video does not load.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesG View Post
    I'm not too impressed with IE 7 which seem buggy. In particular the MSN Videos portion where the ads run just fine but the video does not load.
    u dont need vista to run IE7
    is it the browser or the website or the popup/spam program thats not loading the video?