Thread: ATV series about gambling

Default ATV series about gambling

Does anyone remember a very old series from the '90 about gambling?

All I can remember was that there was some kind of cyborg in it, that could see through cards and calculate the chances. At the end he was beaten by the main character and because of that he kinda "self-destructed"

Anyone know??

"whos the winner" with nathan chan

one of my all time favorites
    Am i Crazy!?!?!?!
    [8888888][8888888][8888888][8888888][8888888][8888888]

Quote Originally Posted by ukoziak
    Does anyone remember a very old series from the '90 about gambling?

All I can remember was that there was some kind of cyborg in it, that could see through cards and calculate the chances. At the end he was beaten by the main character and because of that he kinda "self-destructed"

Anyone know??
    I think I remember that a guy was turned into some kind of cyborg right? And he had a daughter but was forced to leave her after the transformation. She grew up and stuff. My memory is very vague about it, its been too long ago. It may not be the one you're talking about either.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Yes that's the one!!!

Can you tell me which part was about the cyborg? (Part I, II or III?)

Quote Originally Posted by ukoziak
    Yes that's the one!!!

Can you tell me which part was about the cyborg? (Part I, II or III?)
    Sorry, I don't even remember what the series was called much less which part.

But didn't the last time the father and daughter saw each other, she or he had to hold this hot pole leaving burnt scars on his/her/their hands.

I remember there was this party they were both at, when she was older/grown up and they almost saw each other. Eh..I can't remember much.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung
    Sorry, I don't even remember what the series was called much less which part.

But didn't the last time the father and daughter saw each other, she or he had to hold this hot pole leaving burnt scars on his/her/their hands.

I remember there was this party they were both at, when she was older/grown up and they almost saw each other. Eh..I can't remember much.
    The series is indeed called "Who's the winner". I'm 100% sure.

But I don't know which part was the one I saw. I'm not sure if there was a daughter involved. All I know is that there was a cyborg who beat everyone at gambling, and couldn't stand the fact he lost from a normal human being so that he/it self-destructed.
    Last edited by ukoziak; 02-12-07 at 05:34 PM.

part 3.

part 1 and 2 are better of the 3. part 3 for me feels like a big mess, dont like the idea of robots, makes the show unreal. robocop vs the hero, not that appealing to me, maybe in comics. The robotic guy was the heros father too.
    Am i Crazy!?!?!?!

I watched all 3 parts and can verify that it is not part 3, but part 2. The cyborg is the main character’s father in part 2.

Nathan Chan only starred in the first “Who’s The Winner” and the sequel. Part 3 had Simon Yam as the lead and only briefly mentioned Nathan’s character in the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by tweety365
    I watched all 3 parts and can verify that it is not part 3, but part 2. The cyborg is the main character’s father in part 2.

Nathan Chan only starred in the first “Who’s The Winner” and the sequel. Part 3 had Simon Yam as the lead and only briefly mentioned Nathan’s character in the beginning.
    You are right. i forgot part 3 was with simon yam. well than i guess i just like part 1 alot.
    Am i Crazy!?!?!?!

Hmm....this is somewhat confusing to me. The storyline sounds very similar to Who's the Winner 2. However, I don't recall the part about the daughter having to leave the father because of the transformation.

From what I recall, parts 1 and 2 stars Nathan Chan and 3 Simon Yam. The first part revolves around Paul Chun and Eddie Ko's history. Paul frames Eddie for cheating and Eddie loses his life. Eddie's son, Jacky Lui, spends the most part of the series trying to avenge his father. Nathan eventually becomes the person who drives Paul insane. I can't recall if he actually beat him, or if Nathan and others lied about the final card, causing Paul to go insane?

Part 2 seems to follow more of the cyborg storyline. Nathan wants to spend the rest of his life with his love interest Joey Meng from the first part. He is betrayed by his friend, character name "Cheung Tin Ding," and eventually comes out of retirement to face Ben Ng and Paul Chun in a match. Nathan prevails only to find himself setup by his former friend and now rival. He eventually has a relationship with Cheung Tin Ding's daughter, played by Margie Tsang. At the end, we find out Nathan's father was actually a friend of Paul Chun and Cheung Tin Ding from long ago. However, he was outcasted by the two and he swore one day he'll make them pay. In order to accomplish this, he implants chips in him and becomes a cyborg. After Paul goes down in a match because of his heart conditions, we have a final confrontation between father and son. I see this storyline as close to the cyborg theme mentioned above. But I don't recall a daughter leaving a cyborg father. Nathan did leave his father when he was young though.

Part 3 is a totally different story with only a few minor plot references from the previous series once in a while. Three good friends Simon Yam, Joey Meng and Kent Tong were involved in a love triangle with Simon and Joey loving each other. But because of his friendship with Kent, Simon withdrawals from Joey's affections leaving her to side with Kent instead. However, not only was Kent jealous of Joey's love for Simon, he was also jealous of Simon's number one poker player ranking in the world. He plots to have a match with Simon, pitting his own hand at stake. Once again, Simon not wanting to further complicate things decides to quit and as a result has to injure his hand. No longer capable of gambling anymore, Simon goes into hibernation where he meets many new friends. The story progresses so that both Simon and Kent learn hypnotizing illusion techniques and face each other in a final showdown.

Wow, thanks for clearing that up wang23!

i liked all 3.
    $this->handle_bbcode_url(str_replace('\"', '"', 'http://members.aol.com/xsol4realx/private/ltv.jpg'), '')

which part got Joey Meng?

Quote Originally Posted by SkyKing
    which part got Joey Meng?
    Technically all three does. But if you're wondering about significance, then the first part for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by wang23
    Hmm....this is somewhat confusing to me. The storyline sounds very similar to Who's the Winner 2. However, I don't recall the part about the daughter having to leave the father because of the transformation.

From what I recall, parts 1 and 2 stars Nathan Chan and 3 Simon Yam. The first part revolves around Paul Chun and Eddie Ko's history. Paul frames Eddie for cheating and Eddie loses his life. Eddie's son, Jacky Lui, spends the most part of the series trying to avenge his father. Nathan eventually becomes the person who drives Paul insane. I can't recall if he actually beat him, or if Nathan and others lied about the final card, causing Paul to go insane?

Part 2 seems to follow more of the cyborg storyline. Nathan wants to spend the rest of his life with his love interest Joey Meng from the first part. He is betrayed by his friend, character name "Cheung Tin Ding," and eventually comes out of retirement to face Ben Ng and Paul Chun in a match. Nathan prevails only to find himself setup by his former friend and now rival. He eventually has a relationship with Cheung Tin Ding's daughter, played by Margie Tsang. At the end, we find out Nathan's father was actually a friend of Paul Chun and Cheung Tin Ding from long ago. However, he was outcasted by the two and he swore one day he'll make them pay. In order to accomplish this, he implants chips in him and becomes a cyborg. After Paul goes down in a match because of his heart conditions, we have a final confrontation between father and son. I see this storyline as close to the cyborg theme mentioned above. But I don't recall a daughter leaving a cyborg father. Nathan did leave his father when he was young though.

Part 3 is a totally different story with only a few minor plot references from the previous series once in a while. Three good friends Simon Yam, Joey Meng and Kent Tong were involved in a love triangle with Simon and Joey loving each other. But because of his friendship with Kent, Simon withdrawals from Joey's affections leaving her to side with Kent instead. However, not only was Kent jealous of Joey's love for Simon, he was also jealous of Simon's number one poker player ranking in the world. He plots to have a match with Simon, pitting his own hand at stake. Once again, Simon not wanting to further complicate things decides to quit and as a result has to injure his hand. No longer capable of gambling anymore, Simon goes into hibernation where he meets many new friends. The story progresses so that both Simon and Kent learn hypnotizing illusion techniques and face each other in a final showdown.
    Thanks for the brief summary of each part. I've watched part 1, currently watching part 2. so far so good. Part 3 b/c there's no original cast members(characters), sounds not that great... but I'll watch that after part 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa108
    Thanks for the brief summary of each part. I've watched part 1, currently watching part 2. so far so good. Part 3 b/c there's no original cast members(characters), sounds not that great... but I'll watch that after part 2.
    Not a problem. Have you finished part 2? Actually, part 3 is pretty good as well. It may not have all the original cast and hold connections to the previous ones, but it in all is an interesting series by itself. Simon Yam did a flawless job portraying his character Ching Yat Fung. Only thing I wanted to comment on it was it carries an extremely sad tone throughout the series.
    $this->handle_bbcode_url(str_replace('\"', '"', 'http://riderfans.com/forum/image.php?u=129&type=sigpic&dateline=1196205212'), '')

Quote Originally Posted by wang23
    Not a problem. Have you finished part 2? Actually, part 3 is pretty good as well. It may not have all the original cast and hold connections to the previous ones, but it in all is an interesting series by itself. Simon Yam did a flawless job portraying his character Ching Yat Fung. Only thing I wanted to comment on it was it carries an extremely sad tone throughout the series.

Almost finish with part 2, got two more eppies to go...it's so good, I don't want it to end. This is my first time actually watching it properlly, b/c back then when it was newly released, I was only 9 and didn't really watch it, my parents did.