Page 103 of 111 FirstFirst ... 35393949596979899100101102103104105106107108109110111 LastLast
Results 2,041 to 2,060 of 2208

Thread: Liu Yi Fei (刘亦菲) #2#

Quote Originally Posted by ChineseChik525 View Post
    ^ DAMN. well then i guess that's why she looked so amazing, lol.
    Well, that, and she had a good 底子 (base, i.e. skin, features etc) to begin with. I wish they used the same makeup artist for Qian Nyu You Hun.

but honestly. i just love the makeup in ROCH! i kinda want to get that makeup artist to do it on me, haha
    Lol, don't we all?
    Last edited by ailinon; 09-20-11 at 06:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ailinon View Post
    Well, that, and she had a good 底子 (base) i.e. lovely skin/features to begin with. I wish they used the same makeup artist for Qian Nyu You Hun.
    wel of course she does! the girl is just naturally so gorgeous...!

LYF with Kate Winslet.
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww1.sinaimg.cn/bmiddle/4c060e74gw1dlmrwh2zhlj.jpg')

Banned

I've just got her album lyrics in Traditional Chinese. Found it on esnips.

Despite all the talk about her getting to the top with connections, you have to admit...she's definitely drop-dead gorgeous at every angle. I've never really seen a bad pic of her. Honestly, with or without connections, she would have made it to A-list sooner or later based on looks alone.
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww3.sinaimg.cn/bmiddle/693ad074gw1dlwi2p6vozj.jpg')
    Last edited by xiaolong; 10-09-11 at 01:04 PM.

Apart from White Vengeance, her other movie that she actually filmed prior to White Vengeance should also be released soon. It's called "4 Da Ming Bu" and she'll be starring as "Wu Qing" ("Heartless") opposite Deng Chao. It sounds like quite a departure from her usual "xian nu" type roles so definitely a good step for her in broadening her acting range.

In addition, I believe LYF will also be playing the lead role in the upcoming movie "Tong Que Tai" which starts filming any day now--I don't know all the details of that one yet though but it's a pretty big-budget and highly hyped production as well.

Quote Originally Posted by xiaolong View Post
    Despite all the talk about her getting to the top with connections, you have to admit...she's definitely drop-dead gorgeous at every angle. I've never really seen a bad pic of her. Honestly, with or without connections, she would have made it to A-list sooner or later based on looks alone.
    She's gorgeous no doubt, but she definitely wouldn't be close to where she is today without her powerful backing for sure. I think her only supporting role was as the #2 actress in "Jin Fen Shi Jia" at age 14; ever since then she's been the #1 female lead, whether it's TV series or her string of big-budget movie productions recently. I can't really think of any other actress who had the lead in nearly every one of her projects (perhaps apart from Zhang Ziyi, who struck gold by landing the role in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon). I'm not saying LYF's not deserving of her success, because I agree her beauty is a major asset that alone could get her casted in roles and I respect her professionalism/work ethic as well, but you really can't underestimate how important connections are in the Chinese entertainment industry--looks (even looks + talent + hard work combined) are not enough to guarantee A-list status.

Just look at Jiang Qinqin and Fan Bingbing. Everyone generally agrees that both of them are drop-dead beautiful as well. (Personally I would place Jiang Qinqin on par with LYF's looks; as for FBB I'd rank her a bit less just because she doesn't look that great without strong makeup on, but she does look strikingly beautiful with makeup.) However, JQQ never made it to the A-list; I don't think she ever even had a major role in a big movie. Meanwhile, FBB is renowned for being a extremely hard worker and "nu qiang ren" (fierce/forceful career woman); yet despite all that, and her early fame at age 16 in HZGG, it took her many years of slaving away in supporting roles/smaller projects to get her the status she has today in the A-list. And I think both JQQ/FBB have much better acting skills than LYF, to be honest. Even if you argue that LYF's beauty is greater than both of them, the difference is not enough to explain the huge disparity between how fast LYF's career has risen compared to the other two who did not have any connections (LYF is only 24, but even with her 2-year hiatus from acting she's gone way farther than JQQ ever has and is probably not too far behind FBB).

Of course, without her looks/personality/hard work, LYF would never be able to get to where she is even with her connections.

Quote Originally Posted by xiaolong View Post
    No offense but do you seriously think LYF could have made it to where she is right now based solely on looks? To be honest, LYF has never been top in my list of drop-dead gorgeous actresses; yes, she does looks beautiful in most of her costume projects & when she's all made-up for fanciful occasions but there are many other mainland actresses who are equally beautiful onscreen & off, if not more so than her imo. I have seen several unflattering shots of her in the past. If looks were that powerful, almost all the beautiful young hopefuls would have made it huge & actresses who are recognized more for their talents than looks (e.g. Zhou Xun) wouldn't even have a chance to star in a movie. However, if LYF possessed both the looks and acting chops (or at least some), I definitely would have no problem believing that she can make it without any connections. It's been years since she debuted but I've yet to see anything impressive from her. Granted, she has made some improvement but it's really nothing to wow about or justify the types of opportunities she's currently getting. And it's really no secret how much backing she has behind her, which existed ever since she entered the entertainment industry & was most highlighted during her XLN/Forbidden Kingdom days.
    There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.

Wise Fool

^I think there might be a difference in opinion. You don't think her beauty is all that while a lot of other people are absolutely smitten by her beauty. Even Jinyong was fanboying her looks.

Actors and actresses do make it big from their talents, but there's never only one way in any situation so there shouldn't only be one way in the entertainment business. And from the beginning, the roles she got weren't roles that required acting chops anyway. They were just roles that required her to be pretty so they probably just wanted her to be pretty. By the time she got into roles that required more of her than being pretty, her fame was already huge.

Of course, I'm not denying that her connections played an important role in her career.
    我是个疯子疯子疯子只爱你的疯子 你是个傻子傻子傻子傻的却好懂事
    要爱你一辈子 写爱你的故事 在我心里承诺了几千次

Yes, but I think sunnysnow's point is, there are plenty of actresses who are just as beautiful but they never get the chance to be in leading roles despite their beauty. Tong Liya is another one. I remember so many people were absolutely blown away by her beauty back when she had a supporting role in "Mu Yi Tian Xia"--there were definite comparisons to when LYF first entered the industry and everyone said how gorgeous she was. Plenty of people even thought she was more beautiful than LYF. Yet, what has she managed since then? She also has the looks and the talent (I thought her acting was pretty good anyways), but again, there is such a huge disparity between her career path and LYF's. I could go on with more examples...

Her connections pretty much formed the basis of her career. Otherwise, LYF would probably still be working her way up in TV series because another young actress with connections would have influenced producers etc. to cast her instead of LYF--especially considering how highly coveted so many of her roles were. It's no secret in the entertainment industry that this happens all the time.

But, where she took her career from there is thanks to her standout looks for sure. Her beauty explains why she is much more famous and successful right now compared to other actresses with similar connections (e.g. older actresses like Eva Huang, Zhang Yuqi etc who also star in major movie productions but are not nearly as popular as LYF, despite the fact that they have better acting talent--btw I haven't seen either of them in action, so this is just from what I've read from other people...but they don't have her looks).

^Okay, I would agree with that.
    Except Tong Liya looks like a fish to me. *ducks away from Tong Liya fans*
    要爱你一辈子 写爱你的故事 在我心里承诺了几千次

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon Heiress View Post
    ^I think there might be a difference in opinion. You don't think her beauty is all that while a lot of other people are absolutely smitten by her beauty. Even Jinyong was fanboying her looks.
    The whole “Jin Yong handpicked LYF for XLN” was a marketing ploy. Sure, I don’t think Jin Yong minded going along with the publicity when ZJZ and LYF's pr people were hyping up the show. In any case, LYF was quite young then, and of course he’d have wanted to come across as encouraging, in a media situation that’s been foisted on him by the show’s marketing team.

From an interview with Jin Yong after the fact:
    http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMjEwMjEyMjI4.html
    At :24-:50, in response to the statement that the 2006 version was the most faithful adaptation of ROCH, he says:

"實際上他完全沒有跟隨原著呀!他選劉亦菲扮演小龍女,劉小姐樣子滿漂亮的,但她怕難看,不敢作 表情,一作表 情就破壞了她原來的相貌,就改動了!她要哭的話,她不肯哭,流滴眼淚就算了。"

“In fact he [ZJZ] didn’t follow the source at all! He chose LYF to play Xiao Longnyu. Miss Liu is quite pretty, but she’s afraid of looking ugly; when she makes an expression it changes her looks for the worse, so they changed things! In the crying scenes she’d refuse to cry and only shed a few tears.”
    Last edited by ailinon; 10-10-11 at 07:02 PM.

I don’t really care about the question of LYF’s connections and whether they are unfair or not, as I’m not seeing her movies anyway, being overseas and all that (helps that the constant hyping is faraway). I just wish she and her marketing team will stop making things up on her resume.

I don’t want to come across as a basher, but when you go around claiming variously that
    1) Stanford sent people to Beijing to extend an invitation for you to become a visiting scholar in their program. You considered this, but in the end decided not to accept, opting for Yale.

2) You were accepted into Yale’s School of Drama, but turned it down in order to act in The Forbidden Kingdom. Today the official line is that she was privately tutored by Yale’s professors during the two years she disappeared from the scene.

An example of a typical article in the Chinese media:
      推掉很多“玉女”角色后,刘亦菲想继续读书。公司为她联系了斯坦福去做访问学者,校方的人也来北京见过 她,对她很中意,非常欢迎她成为该校最年轻的访问学者之一。刘亦菲却出乎意料地没有接受对方的好意。“那是 公司安排的,我想自己考。”她听一个美国朋友说,耶鲁大学有全世界最好的表演系。一声不响地,刘亦菲背着经 纪人跑到美国,以普通考生的身份报考耶鲁。考试的题目,她到现在都还记得清清楚楚:“当时考的是莎士比亚片 断,我拿着一把椅子在那儿演,得跪在那把椅子上,把那儿当阳台。"
      后来,刘亦菲接到了耶鲁面试通过的通知,但是,几乎在同一个时间,她也接到《功夫之王》剧组的电话,电 话里说,她被确定出演《功夫之王》的女一号,让她赶紧回来试妆。那是一部由成龙、李连杰共同主演的好莱坞电 影,在一部这么大制作的戏里担当女一号,对于任何人来说都无法抗拒。考虑再三,刘亦菲打包了行李回国拍戏, 读书的计划被暂时搁置。”

Curious netizens emailed Yale and Stanford’s admission departments to confirm whether these assertions were true. Both institutions denied them emphatically.

Yale's response.jpg: Bald statement that she was not offered admission. It is unclear if they've even heard of her name before.

Stanford's response.jpg: Basically, she came to them to ask about her options, but they don't offer the specific degree option she wanted to pursue for her masters, and she also lacks the terminal degree that's a requirement to become a visiting scholar.

There are many other instances where she and her team have made blatantly false statements like this to the press. I think the question of her English has come up in this thread before.
    Last edited by ailinon; 10-11-11 at 06:56 AM.

Wait, I thought he said the ROCH95 was the most faithful version.
    Wow, I think it's kind of sad if she really wouldn't cry.
    要爱你一辈子 写爱你的故事 在我心里承诺了几千次

^Okay, I would agree with that.
    Except Tong Liya looks like a fish to me. *ducks away from Tong Liya fans*
    Is this from her "Strange Hero" styling? I didn't watch it yet but I don't think they made her makeup/costuming very flattering in there. Same with Gong, they really downplayed her beauty.

If you see pics of TLY in "Mu Yi Tian Xia" though (one of her first major roles), she was definitely drop-dead gorgeous.

I don’t really care about the question of LYF’s connections and whether they are unfair or not, as I’m not seeing her movies anyway, being overseas and all that (helps that the constant hyping is faraway). I just wish she and her marketing team will stop making things up on her resume.
    I don't really care about connections that much either--if an actor/actress is talented/good-looking/has a good personality, I will like them and watch their projects regardless of how they got there. True, I respect actors more when they've made it on their own, but I won't look down on them just for having influence in the industry. (On the other hand, it does make me respect actors like FSF a lot more because if rumours are true, he has a powerful/rich family background as well but he has never used it to get any advantage in the entertainment industry.) With LYF, I never had a huge problem with her connections either (it was more her lack of expressive acting that I was disappointed with)--I just think it's an undeniable fact that her connections basically made her career.

Wait, I thought he said the ROCH95 was the most faithful version.
    According to this clip his favourite was the 1983 version with Andy Lau and Idy Chan. He also really disliked HXM's Yang Guo, apparently.

Hilarious comment in the video link above. Not sure if the poster was being sarcastic:
    //@独孤风韵:金庸显然没有看过“神雕侠侣”这部小说,这年头,竟然还有人不知道神雕侠侣,真是可悲呀。。。 教主演技无敌~!
    Obviously, Jin Yong has never read the novel. How sad that there are people existing today who aren't familiar with Return of the Condor Heros...HXM is an awesome actor!
    Last edited by ailinon; 10-10-11 at 07:02 PM.

He says in this clip that his favourite was the 1983 version with Andy Lau and Idy Chan. He also really disliked HXM's Yang Guo, apparently.

Hilarious comment in the video link above. Not sure if the poster was being sarcastic:
    //@独孤风韵:金庸显然没有看过“神雕侠侣”这部小说,这年头,竟然还有人不知道神雕侠侣,真是可悲呀。。。 教主演技无敌~!
    Obviously, Jin Yong has never read the novel. How sad that there people existing today who aren't familiar with Return of the Condor Heros...HXM is an awesome actor!

BWAHAHAHA. I am in tears over this.

I am totally on JY's side with HXM--that one role completely turned me off him (he had previously been one of my favourite actors); I even delayed watching ROCH for several years because I was afraid my impression of him would be ruined. And it did, he still hasn't fully recovered in my mind, LOL...

Quote Originally Posted by mango_cake View Post
    Is this from her "Strange Hero" styling? I didn't watch it yet but I don't think they made her makeup/costuming very flattering in there. Same with Gong, they really downplayed her beauty.

If you see pics of TLY in "Mu Yi Tian Xia" though (one of her first major roles), she was definitely drop-dead gorgeous.
    Okay, I haven't seen Mu Yi Tian Xia but I'm going to look up pictures now.
    要爱你一辈子 写爱你的故事 在我心里承诺了几千次

Okay, I haven't seen Mu Yi Tian Xia but I'm going to look up pictures now.
    I'll go post a few in TLY's thread if you're interested...

He says in this clip that his favourite was the 1983 version with Andy Lau and Idy Chan. He also really disliked HXM's Yang Guo, apparently.
    Wow, and I always got the impression from press reports that Jin Yong liked HXM's YG. I knew he's always loved Andy Lau's YG (that performance really is unbeatable...by far!), but I believe he once did say Carmen Lee's XLN was the one which captured the essence of XLN's cold beauty. I know he said LYF was beautiful, but the press blocked out the part where he said she's too concerned about her looks to cry properly.

Well, LYF's PR department and solid backing is indeed very powerful.