View Poll Results: Who do you like better: Huang Rong or Ren Ying Ying?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Huang Rong

25 49.02%
  • Ren Ying Ying

26 50.98%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Huang Rong vs Ren Ying Ying

Default Huang Rong vs Ren Ying Ying

Lets compare these two characters in WU GONG, PERSONALITY, and of course, LOOKS. I mean, they're kinda similar. Please vote based on all three of these qualities, on just which you like better. I'm really interested to know who has better wu gong....
    Personally I like Huang Rong better by a TINY bit.
    hu ge, yang mi, yuan hong, liu shishi.
    wang luodan, li guangjie.

1. Looks:
    If you wanna compare the looks of the actresses who played the role Huang Rong with the looks of the actresses who played the role Ren Yingying, I can say that the former is surpass the latter. Zhu Yan, Weng Meiling, Zhou Xun > Liang Beiling, Anita Yuen for sure.

But if you wanna compare HR and Ren Yingying as 2 novel characters, I think there'll be no unimpeachable answer. Since:
    - firstly, the descriptive words that Jin Yong used to describe HR and RYY are nearly the same.
    - secondly, (LOCH + ROCH) and XAJH are too different in setting times and nearly have nothing to do with each other.

2. Personality:
    I think they're equal in this matter.
    Both HR and RYY have defects in personality due to their growing-up environments.
    In general, HR is a heroine but sometimes her mischievousness and selfishness went beyond normality.
    As a whole, Yingying is a very lovable + faithful girl, but she also showed her fairly ruthlessness in forcing the members of the unorthodox path who saw her being with Linghu Chong to blind themself and leave the Central Plains.

3. Martial art:
    Huang Rong is better than Yingying no doubt since the MA base of XAJH is far inferior to that of the Condor Trilogy.
    Even in XAJH only, Yingying is not one of the top-notch fighters. Her MA is perhaps just about equal to Madam Yue's.
    Last edited by Huang Rong; 02-24-07 at 01:54 PM.
    Yang Guo & Zhou Botong said in Chapters 6, 11 & 25 of ROCH:
    - 这道姑也算得美了,只是还不及桃花岛郭伯母,更加不及我姑姑。
    - 原来郭伯母竟是这般美貌,小时候我却不觉得。
    - 龙姑娘,我瞧你品貌才智,和那小黄蓉不相上下,武功也跟她差不离。

hehe...in terms of the actresses chosen to play the roles of hr and ryy, i found anita yuen to be the most beautiful...she could have easily played hr and make that believable too! but i think hr wins in terms of intelligence and wits, and that's what makes her appeal to me more. plus, she can COOK WELL!!!! that alone should win many people's hearts. both are biatchy when they choose to be.

hard to really compare beauty since it's so subjective so we'll let this one be a tie although i've always had the impression that hr is much more beautiful than tv series give her credit for. but we'll give this a tie.

as hr said, the deterioration theory gives hr the extra boost in having the better martial arts.

so imo, in summary:
    personality: hr>ryy
    martial arts: hr>ryy
    beauty: hard to say (though i'd like to believe hr>ryy)
    if you have the time and enthusiasm, please join in on the new and fabulous wuxia rpg fic /rpg discussion. (<--- click here)

Wow, easiest question I have seen in a while. Huang Rong wins, hands down. RYY, not really into her. I do like her more than Little Dragon Girl and Zhao Min though.
    Last edited by Felix; 02-24-07 at 04:07 PM.

Martial Arts: HR>RYY, It felt like HR could kick more *** then RYY.
    Personality: HR=RYY, both had their own weird moments. One dressed up as a man, the other as an old lady.
    Looks: HR=RYY, Since they are both the female lead, I think JY intended for their beauty to be close to each others. Even if we talk about the actresses.. Barbara Yung, Zhou Xun, Athena Chu = Fiona Leung, Rebecca Chan, Fann Wong, Anita Yuen

For actresses who played RYY....don't forget Xu Qing.
    Not a very good pic, sorry...
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://muhupin.com.ne.kr/soho/06.jpg')

Quote Originally Posted by redfirefly124
    For actresses who played RYY....don't forget Xu Qing.
    Not a very good pic, sorry...
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://muhupin.com.ne.kr/soho/06.jpg')
    She played opposite of Li Ya Peng right?

Yup! She did really well...except the stupid scriptwriters decided to change the plot and RYY's character A LOT.

Quote Originally Posted by redfirefly124
    Yup! She did really well...except the stupid scriptwriters decided to change the plot and RYY's character A LOT.
    Xu Qing was amazing. I can't picture a better Yingying. Didn't Jin Yong say that Xu Qing was the Yingying he always imagined?

I prefer Huang Rong because I think I connect with her more. Huang Rong's more impish and mischievious like myself...meanwhile, Yingying is more shy.

As for those three factors you mentioned, Huang Rong for martial arts, Huang Rong for personality IMO, and I don't know for looks - based on adaptations I would say Huang Rong, but that comment about them both being female leads is true. Plus wuxia heroes always marry a good-looking girl.
    I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know? -Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky
    Xu Qing was amazing. I can't picture a better Yingying. Didn't Jin Yong say that Xu Qing was the Yingying he always imagined?

I prefer Huang Rong because I think I connect with her more. Huang Rong's more impish and mischievious like myself...meanwhile, Yingying is more shy.

As for those three factors you mentioned, Huang Rong for martial arts, Huang Rong for personality IMO, and I don't know for looks - based on adaptations I would say Huang Rong, but that comment about them both being female leads is true. Plus wuxia heroes always marry a good-looking girl.
    I'm not sure myself. Both Huang Rong and Ren Ying Ying are likeable. I actually find YY's shyness to be really cute. I mean she can be a tad ruthless but she has a soft side too. And I'm impressed with her talents with playing the zither. Although, she can't cook as well as HR, she could definitely collect herbs and play the zither well. And yet, HR cooks well but we've never seen her play an instrument, I guess her father never taught her how to play the flute, huh?

I'm going to vote for RYY just to give her a little bit more edge since this is a HR-oriented crowd.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Quote Originally Posted by Huang Rong
    As a whole, Yingying is a very lovable + faithful girl, but she also showed her fairly ruthlessness in forcing the members of the unorthodox path who saw her being with Linghu Chong to blind themself and leave the Central Plains.
    i actually found that made her more interesting... of course HR's ear cutting incident was interesting too
    Watch out! Dihydrogen Monoxide will kill us all!

I think HR can sing pretty well...in LOCH 03 she played the zither but that's probably just an added thing. Very smart voting Suet Seung.

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung
    And yet, HR cooks well but we've never seen her play an instrument, I guess her father never taught her how to play the flute, huh?
    In LOCH '82 and LOCH '03 she was playing the zither in the part where Guo Jing wants to find medicine for I-forget-his-name and they go steal it from Yang Kang at night. I haven't read the original novel but I know LOCH '82 did some digressing from the plot, so I don't know if Huang Rong really plays the zither. Then again, I think cooking well is more useful than being a good musician. Music is my passion but my cooking (such as my cakes) almost always get negative reviews.

I've actually always preferred shy people - I wish I was a bit more shy myself. However, Huang Rong just seems more lively, spontaneous, and fun to be around.
    I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know? -Ernest Hemingway

HR's singing voice was described to be very sweet n beautiful. but I've never seen her play any instrument in the novels. unlike Yingying's amiable personality, perhaps HR is too active to be able to sitting still playing the zither.
    Last edited by Huang Rong; 02-25-07 at 02:28 AM.
    - 原来郭伯母竟是这般美貌,小时候我却不觉得。

i'm sure she plays instruments...

we don't see HYS cook, but we know he could for sure...
    it's not a stretch to think HR learned much from her father. afterall, she was quite "distracted" from her martial arts studies trying to learn everythng from her dad
    Watch out! Dihydrogen Monoxide will kill us all!

which Huan Rong?? I think the ROCH one is too old for me
    在下日月神教陸教主是也

xu qing is the coolest! Jin Yong himself stated that xu qing is the Ren Ying Ying he imagined her to be. Anyways Huang Rong became a bit too motherly and soft in ROCH, if it was stand alone LOCH vs SPW, Huang Rong would get my vote. Since it's not, Ren Ying Ying
    don't play with swords

Wow, I didn't know that many people liked RYY. Are they that similar in the novel?

RYY is good in martial arts and shy? Is that how she was in the novel? I did not get the feeling she was a good fighter or shy.

Hahaha....HR and RYY are neck to neck. I think support for each will be about the same...
    I just thought of another category....whose name do you like better? Personally I think 'Ying Ying' is a nicer name by a little bit, although 'Rong'er' is really nice too.

Quote Originally Posted by Felix
    Wow, I didn't know that many people liked RYY. Are they that similar in the novel?
    They're similar to each other to a remarkable extent: both are intelligent, quick-thinking, beautiful and have somewhat a heresy within.
    Quote Originally Posted by Felix
    RYY is good in martial arts and shy? Is that how she was in the novel? I did not get the feeling she was a good fighter or shy.
    In the novel, Yingying's MA is just at an above-average level.
    And yes, even though being brought up in the Sun Moon Divine Sect, Yingying always attached much importance to traditional rites and ethical behaviour, she often showed her shyness whenever it came to her love toward Linghu Chong and delicate matters.
    This is the main difference between her and the 15 yr old Huang Rong of LOCH who always behaved boldly regardless of traditional rules in a Confucianism-influenced society as wuxia world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red124
    Hahaha....HR and RYY are neck to neck. I think support for each will be about the same...
    I just thought of another category....whose name do you like better? Personally I think 'Ying Ying' is a nicer name by a little bit, although 'Rong'er' is really nice too.
    In fact, if you had added one more "No idea" option to the poll, I think the result would possibly have leaned to Huang Rong.
    Sometimes people simply vote for the opposites of the thing that they dislike.
    Last edited by Huang Rong; 02-25-07 at 05:00 PM.
    - 原来郭伯母竟是这般美貌,小时候我却不觉得。