Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which version of The Demi-Gods Semi-Devils is the BEST?

Arrow Which version of The Demi-Gods Semi-Devils is the BEST?

In one of Jin Yong's famous novels is the Demi-Gods and Semi-Devils. I've watched the 1997 version and it's very good. It was emotional and the fighting series were awesome (in my opinion). Particularly the main characters (3 of them), they all gave a good performance and really made me believe they are the characters described in the book. I heard another version in China but never watched it, is it as good as the TVB's one?

And another question, why did Jin Yong ban TVB from producing his books into series? Was it because they didn't follow the book and he got pissed? But TVB did follow the storyline for some of his books. I never read the book and if it wasn't for TVB, I might not know these novels existed in the first place. Martial arts novels are so captivating and once you started, you have to finish :0 The versions that followed close to the novel (that I also enjoyed) are: ROCH'95, LOCH'94?, DGSD'97, SoD'96 and others I can't remember but these I remember best. The ones that didn't follow the novel and just screwed up everything was Crimson Sabre and Dragon Sabre 2000, correct?
    Currently watching: --
    Anticipating: GOONG 2 (original), HYD (Korean), Palace Scheme, Grand Entreprenur

Quote Originally Posted by j-walker
    In one of Jin Yong's famous novels is the Demi-Gods and Semi-Devils. I've watched the 1997 version and it's very good. It was emotional and the fighting series were awesome (in my opinion). Particularly the main characters (3 of them), they all gave a good performance and really made me believe they are the characters described in the book. I heard another version in China but never watched it, is it as good as the TVB's one?

And another question, why did Jin Yong ban TVB from producing his books into series? Was it because they didn't follow the book and he got pissed? But TVB did follow the storyline for some of his books. I never read the book and if it wasn't for TVB, I might not know these novels existed in the first place. Martial arts novels are so captivating and once you started, you have to finish :0 The versions that followed close to the novel (that I also enjoyed) are: ROCH'95, LOCH'94?, DGSD'97, SoD'96 and others I can't remember but these I remember best. The ones that didn't follow the novel and just screwed up everything was Crimson Sabre and Dragon Sabre 2000, correct?
    DGSD96 is better in my opinion.

HSDS2000 was the final straw to why JY refused to let TVB adapt any more of his stories.

And I'm sure Flying Fox of Snowy Mountain didn't help either.

There were things i liked in both DGSD 97 and DGSD 03, but i think 97 has a stronger cast and i found it more believable. The highlight of DGSD 03 was LYF's brilliant acting...not. It was Liu Tao's performance as A Zhu.

Flying Fox 99- there is NOTHING good to say about that.

I think DGSD 97 was the only time when Benny Chan's acting didn't annoy me. Coincidently, it was also his first role in a tv series. And no one made HL18P looked more spectacular than Felix Wong then or since..

DGSD96 is much better and also it's the closest to the novel in my opinion. The series has Carmen acted 3 roles in it. Her brilliant performance is really great. DGSD96 is the best version.

Talking

Agree, DGSD 97 or 96 w/ Felix, Benny & Carmen were the best! Cool music & fighting scenes. I cried when A Zhu died

I don't like the mainland remakes, b/c they make the story longer and full of special effects. Not only that, the people talk & move so slowwwwwww.

Heaven Sword & something Sabre w/ Lawrence Ng & Gigi Lai were so horrible. That guy was old & uglie as hell. Charmaine Seh was uglie too

TLBB 2003 fer me because of HJ's portrayal of XF and LT as AZ.

It was a rollercoaster ride for me. Of all the ZJZ produced JY-"masterpieces," TLBB is my favorite. The one I hate the most is ROCH 2006, but that's another tangent.
    Last edited by resident:alien; 02-27-07 at 11:48 AM.
    [ 空蕩的街景 想找個人放感情 做這種決定 是寂寞與我為鄰...我們的愛情 像你路過的風景 一直在進行 腳步卻從來不會為我而停...給你的愛一直很安靜 來交換你偶爾給的關心 明明是三個人的電影 我卻始終不能有姓名...你說愛像雲 要自在飄浮才美麗 我終於相信 分手的理由有時候很動聽...給你的愛一直很安靜 來交換你偶爾給的關心 明明是三個人的電影 我卻始終不能有姓名... 一直很安靜 ]

i hated the original...the guy that played the young prince annoyed me so badly...i liked the '96 version too, and i liked that felix wong was in it as a different character...
    I'm not even Chinese or Thai, but I am obsessed with their TV series. Current obsession: Ken Theeradeth Wonpuapan. He has super good looks and is very talented.

The 1982 TVB version for me.
    My obsessions: Joy Division, New Order, Bones, The Office.

Do bears bear? Do bees bee?

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck21
    The 1982 TVB version for me.
    yeah either 82 or the 96 one, both are great.

Definitely 2003. I just loved everything about that adaptation! Great opening theme. And I loved the chemistry between LYF and Jimmy Lin!! LYF is the Asian Audrey Hepburn, and even better at acting! Meanwhile, Jimmy is so cuuuute and hoooooot, even if he looks a tad like a girl!

A match made from heaven! Definitely the best couple!
    DUAN YU AND WANG YUYAN (she was my birthday-wuxia-thingie person) FOREVA!!!

In seriousness, I think the main merits of TLBB 2003 over 1997 were a couple shining performances (in my opinion, mainly Liu Tao and Hu Jun, and some impressive performances from minor characters), but I think 97 had a stronger cast OVERALL.
    I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know? -Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky
    Definitely 2003. I just loved everything about that adaptation! Great opening theme. And I loved the chemistry between LYF and Jimmy Lin!! LYF is the Asian Audrey Hepburn, and even better at acting! Meanwhile, Jimmy is so cuuuute and hoooooot, even if he looks a tad like a girl!

A match made from heaven! Definitely the best couple!
    DUAN YU AND WANG YUYAN (she was my birthday-wuxia-thingie person) FOREVA!!!

In seriousness, I think the main merits of TLBB 2003 over 1997 were a couple shining performances (in my opinion, mainly Liu Tao and Hu Jun, and some impressive performances from minor characters), but I think 97 had a stronger cast OVERALL.
    How can you say she's the asian Audrey Hepburn, LYF is no Audrey Hepburn in any aspect at all. Ha, you can't be serious. You're not serious.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

LYF and Jimmy Lin forever! I re-watched this version a few nights ago and I actually started to like LYF's portrayal of WYY. And the chemistry WAS THERE between them, I just fast forwarded most of their scenes the first and second time I watched it. I liked the scene where WYY finally realized who loved her most! I mean right after she realized it she was willing to give herself to him. Awww how sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by GuGu1995
    LYF and Jimmy Lin forever! I re-watched this version a few nights ago and I actually started to like LYF's portrayal of WYY. And the chemistry WAS THERE between them, I just fast forwarded most of their scenes the first and second time I watched it. I liked the scene where WYY finally realized who loved her most! I mean right after she realized it she was willing to give herself to him. Awww how sweet.
    Yay someone agrees with me! BEST COUPLE EVA!!!!!

Those who think LYF's WYY was bad just don't understand the professional art of subtle acting! It's something she learned at BFA when she went to class!

Suet Seung, I thought the "just kidding" was implied there
    I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know? -Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky
    Yay someone agrees with me! BEST COUPLE EVA!!!!!

Those who think LYF's WYY was bad just don't understand the professional art of subtle acting! It's something she learned at BFA when she went to class!

Suet Seung, I thought the "just kidding" was implied there
    From what I know, even though sadly Sparky is a Zhao Min fan, I am sure she is not a LYF fan.

I liked the 80s and the 90s version since they both had their good and bad points. The 80s version had a strong cast, but they really changed the story towards the end which makes it a "bad" adaption. The 90s version had a pretty good cast overall, but I think the 80s cast was stronger overall. But the 90s version was a more accurate adaption towards the end. I didn't like the 2003 version that much... It was ok, but was way overrated....I hated the way they changed certain parts of the story too.
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

I actually wasn't thrilled with Hu Jun performance. His XF seemed really dumb... i swear, XF was not that dumb. The major highlight for me was Liu Tao as A Zhu, Gao Hu was quite good too.

I don't know why everyone liked Gao Hu's performance as HZ.He made HZ into a really stupid and incompetent person. HZ is not stupid but is too kind hearted. I personally thought he did a really bad job. Terry Fan was pretty good, but I think Felix Wong was the best as HZ. However, each person has their own opinion.
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

DGSD96 was the best version. really loved Felix and Jay Lau
    Beautiful and deadly, she is a true descendant of dragon. Fighting for the forces of right and justice, she leaves a series of broken bodies and broken hearts wherever she goes.