Page 26 of 32 FirstFirst ... 1617181920212223242526272829303132 LastLast

Thread: Legend of the White Haired Maiden

Default Chapter 28 - Part 7

You are welcome, Skywalker. Here is the end of Chapter 28. Four more to go ...
    ----------------------------------------------

The old man had exceptionally keen eyes, when Zhuo Yihang was peeking out, his hand pushed the wild reeds aside and created a slight rustling noise, he immediately found out. “Who’s there!” he shouted.

The four men spread out in formation as if they were facing a powerful enemy. Zhuo Yihang knew he could not hide any longer, boldly he stepped out and cupped his fist as he said, “Are you all going up the southern peak?”

Seeing it was not the White Hair Demoness, the four men relaxed. “Who are you?” they asked, “Snowy ground, cold air, you are climbing the southern peak alone, what are you doing here?”

Zhuo Yihang was contemplating whether he should tell them the truth. The Lama in scarlet clothes suddenly said, “No need to ask, he must be climbing the southern peak to find White Hair Demoness. Are you not?”

“What if I am?” Zhuo Yihang said.

“Are you looking for her for revenge?” the Lama in red asked.

Hearing this, Zhuo Yihang knew that these four men were Yu Luocha’s enemies, anger rose up in his heart; with a cold laugh he said, “Even if there were ten more men like me, I still won’t dare to seek her for revenge.”

The old man’s countenance changed, “Who are you?” he asked harshly.

Sticking out his chest Zhuo Yihang said, “Wudang Pai’s disciple, Zhou Yihang.”

The old man laughed aloud. “Turns out it is the Wudang Pai’s Sect Leader,” he said, “A nice position you don’t want, but you come here to look for a demoness, humph, humph! I want to teach you a lesson!” He pulled a flexible whip from his waist and lashed it out, ‘shua, shua!’ Deftly his hand shook the whip, it moved like a flying snake to wrap around Zhuo Yihang’s waist!

These four men were Master Changqin, Huo Yuanzhong, Priest Zhuo, and the Black Head Elder of Tian Long Pai[17] from Tibet. After suffering a crushing defeat under White Hair Demoness’s hands, Master Changqin invited his good friend, the Black Head Elder, to come along and help him. As for Huo Yuanzhong and Priest Zhuo, they were old enemies of the Red Flower Demon Matriarch. After their attempt at seeking revenge at Red Flower Demon Matriarch was foiled by Tie Feilong and Yu Luocha[18], they returned to Tibet to live in seclusion, where they made their acquaintance with Black Head Elder, and thus they were also invited to come along.

Huo Yuanzhong was of the same generation as Priest Purple Sun, he had even seen Priest Purple Sun face to face several decades ago. Zhuo Yihang was the current Wudang Pai’s Sect Leader, everybody in the Wulin world knew about it. When discussing martial art during their meeting in the past, Huo Yuanzhong was also offended by Priest Yellow Leaf and Priest White Stone. And now that he saw not only Zhuo Yihang was alone, he was also looking for White Hair Demoness, being a petty character, Huo Yuanzhong wanted to impose his seniority on him and drive Zhuo Yihang down the mountain. Zhuo Yihang hated them because they were coming with enmity toward Yu Luocha; drawing his sword out, he did not wish to yield either.

Huo Yuanzhong swept his whip ferociously like an angry python on a rampage, with astonishing changes. Zhuo Yihang unleashed Wudang’s sword technique to its full potential, like a divine dragon coiling and twisting proudly; which attack was real and which one was fake was not easy to distinguish. Huo Yuanzhong was shocked, he had never expected that Wudang’s second generation disciple could be this formidable.

Seeing Huo Yuanzhong was unable to dominate Zhuo Yihang, Master Changqin was quite disappointed, he thought, “How come Huo Lao’er is this useless!”

Black Head Elder was hot tempered, “Since this kid is White Hair Demoness’ partner, why be polite with him?” Brandishing his staff, he charged forward.

Black Head Elder’s martial prowess was very profound, his staff carried strong gust of wind, ‘Whoosh! Whoosh!’ he successively forced Zhuo Yihang to draw back.

In this critical situation, suddenly a grim laugh was heard. “Who dares to hold a blade and toy with a staff in here?” a cold voice was heard.

Hearing this voice, Zhuo Yihang’s delight was unspeakable. “Lian Jiejie, Lian Jiejie!” he called. With eyes wide open he tried to look, and could not help but staring blankly in shock, for in front of him was unexpectedly an old lady with skin like chicken and hair like a crane. When Reverend Hui Ming told him about her the other day, he deliberately skipped the part where White Hair Demoness often wore a mask. Zhuo Yihang only called out once, and did not dare to call again. “Even if Lian Jiejie’s hair has turned white, she can’t be this old and ugly!” he mused.

"Who are you?" Master Changqin sternly asked.

White Hair Demoness did not speak a single word, her body flew in horizontal position like a strange bird to pounce on Black Head Elder, her sword moved in Upside-down Icicle stance, striking straight down from the air. Black Head Elder swayed his shoulder, his body spun half a revolution, his staff swept backward. 'Shua!' his shoulder was hit by the sword.

Hastily Master Changqin and Priest Zhuo drew their weapons and charged forward. White Hair Demoness laughed coldly and said, "Huo Yuanzhong, Priest Zhuo, the two of you do not want to accept your defeat and unexpectedly come here asking for death?"

At these words, Huo Yuanzhong called out, "This is the White Hair Demoness!"

Zhuo Yihang had also seen her swordsmanship, and his doubt was gone, she was indeed Yu Luocha. Before he opened his mouth, White Hair Demoness launched a series of attacks, all were killer moves to destroy these four men! Zhuo Yihang also heard her mentioning the two men's names, suddenly he recalled that one day his Shifu mentioned that he had some friendship with these two men. Thereupon he hastily said, "Lian Jiejie, please spare these two men!"

Ignoring his plea completely, White Hair Demoness launched a sword strike after another. Zhuo Yihang was quite embarrassed, without any other choice he launched an attack toward Master Changqin.

Amidst the fierce battle, suddenly he heard 'Aiyo!' cry twice, both Huo Yuanzhong and Priest Zhuo were hit by the sword. White Hair Demoness sternly said, "You haven't rolled down the mountain, are you waiting for me to add a couple of more scars on you?"

Huo Yuanzhong and Priest Zhuo had never expected White Hair Demoness' swordsmanship was a lot formidable than in the past; as they were hit by the sword, they were scared out of their wits. Hastily they jumped out of the battlefield, and with their hands covering their heads, they indeed rolled over the accumulation of snow on the hillside, and went straight down the mountain.

Zhuo Yihang was inwardly delighted, he thought, "She's still willing to listen to my advice."

Out of four enemies, two had left, only Black Head Elder and Master Changqin continued fighting, naturally their resistance was even weaker. About twenty, thirty stances later, suddenly Yu Luocha shouted, "Got you!" Her sword cut horizontally, as fast as lightning it severed Black Head Elder's head; blood gushed out, dying the snowy earth red.

Master Changqin gritted his teeth as he threw both cymbals, one toward Zhuo Yihang, the other toward White Hair Demoness. As soon as the cymbals left his hands, he also ran down the mountain. Zhuo Yihang knocked down the copper cymbal with his sword. White Hair Demoness let out a cold laugh, with the tip of her sword she lightly tapped the copper cymbal, sending it down the mountain. She shouted, "I don't have any use of your weapon, I am returning it to you!"

Because of its sharp edge, the copper cymbal produced a strange humming noise against the wind as it was flying down in a lightning-fast speed. Master Changqin was only halfway down the mountain when the copper cymbal arrived and cut him down into two sections; his body continued to roll down the icy hill!

Zhuo Yihang did not dare to look, he turned his head away, only to see White Hair Demoness' icy and wooden expression. Zhuo Yihang did not know she was wearing a mask, unconsciously a chill crept into his heart. Gathering his courage, he called out, "Lian Jiejie, Lian Jiejie!"

White Hair Demoness stared at him for an instant, suddenly she turned around and walked away. Zhuo Yihang ran closely after her, while calling out like mad, "Lian Jiejie, Lian Jiejie!"

Strictly speaking, White Hair Demoness' qinggong was several notches above his, therefore, if she really wanted to run away, there was no way Zhuo Yihang would be able to pursue her. However, it seemed as if she was deliberately slowing down her pace; she always maintained a distance of twenty, thirty steps ahead of him.

Finally they arrived at a mountain peak. She stopped suddenly and turned around and stared at him.

Such is: several meeting and parting past one's prime in life, the road is merciless although it is lined with passion.

----------------------------------------------
    [17]Lit. Celestial Dragon Sect.

[18]See Chapter 25.

Thanks foxs!

I am start to wander whether the two most powerful fighter here is only YLS and YMK. It seems dissapointing to read about ZYH's improving in his martial art and seems to be worthless compare to the seniors. Maybe he should just stay with YMK and learn from him before going anywhere. Sooner or later, even YMK's student will be more powerful than him,

Quote Originally Posted by ken2004 View Post
    I am start to wander whether the two most powerful fighter here is only YLS and YMK. It seems dissapointing to read about ZYH's improving in his martial art and seems to be worthless compare to the seniors. Maybe he should just stay with YMK and learn from him before going anywhere. Sooner or later, even YMK's student will be more powerful than him,
    ZYH's foundation is strong but he lacks a great teacher to teach him the techniques of his Wudang sword arts. And when compares to YLC & YMK, of course he will be far behind. He has been trailing behind them since the beginning of the story and he will continue to be inferior to them as time passes. YLC & YMK are constantly improving at a rapid pace b/c their talented individuals whose only goal is to attain a higher level of martial arts. ZYH doesn't possess the same kind of ambition. He only wants to find YLC and redeem himself and not really spending much time improving on his martial arts. I do agree that YMK's disciples will surpass YZH in the future.

Is it really only 4 more chapters to go?

LoWHD always seems to me like a never ending story.

Thanks for translation

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

Thank you foxs for the translation!!! And thank you foxs again for the other translation!!! I was just too tired to comment yesterday. sorry =(

But yeah, I loved this chapter. YLC's martial arts may not be as good as YMK but it's kick ***. I love her stealth and fast brutality in battle. But YMK not including the mask is I think good, he seems really wise and testing of ZYH's heart. I wonder if ZYH will stay true to his word before. ;( He's still shallow imo, the ugly part reminded me of his personality.

I think the story is strangely structured, the climatic feeling was when her hair changed, he should have just ended it from there.
    I am very excited about the next chapter.

*double post
    I have no idea how I did this again.
    Last edited by Fighting_Wind; 04-06-10 at 10:43 AM.

Default Chapter 29 - Part 1

You're welcome guys. Yes, Han, it's only four more chapters to go.
    -----------------------------------------------

Chapter 29
    Echo in an empty valley
    Still unable to meet a loved one
    Footprints on a desolate mountain
    Conspiracy of a clique of traitors
    (Translated by Foxs, Edited by Eliza Bennet)

He saw her pair of bright, open-wide eyes, full of life and hope, with their brilliance shining against her face, just like a pair of sparkling brilliant gems on a piece of coarse and unsightly sheepskin. Zhuo Yihang's heart ached: 'Other than this pair of eyes, which look very much alive like flowing waves, plus the graceful bearing of Yu Luocha of the past, where can I see her shadow on the old lady with skin like chicken and hair like crane standing in front of me?' he mused. Zhuo Yihang did not realize she was wearing a mask, his heart was full of doubt to the point of as if he was having a nightmare; how could a young woman with peerless appearance turn into such an old and ugly woman like this? Unconsciously Zhuo Yihang shed some tears as he threw himself at her and called out, “Lian Jiejie!”

White Hair Demoness lightly sidestepped, Zhuo Yihang rushed to an empty space, he nearly slipped down. White Hair Demoness laughed coldly and said, “Who’s your Lian Jiejie? You mistook me for someone else!”

“Lian Jiejie,” Zhuo Yihang said, “I have been looking for you for more than two years!”

“Why are you looking for her?” White Hair Demoness asked.

“I know I was wrong,” Zhuo Yihang replied, “Now I have abandoned my position as the Sect Leader, I only hope to be together with you, forever and ever! Never to be separated again.”

With a cold laugh White Hair Demoness said, “You want to be together with me? Ha ha ..., I am an old woman with one foot already in the grave, what ‘forever’ are you talking about?”

Zhuo Yihang threw himself at her again, sobbing he said, "It was me who vexed you so!"

Like a flash White Hair Demoness evaded again, still with a cold laugh she said, "Your Lian Jiejie has been dead for a long time, why do you still talk to me this much?"

"You don't want to know me, I will still follow you like your shadow," Zhuo Yihang said, "I don't care how much you changed, my heart will never change!"

White Hair Demoness let out a cold laugh again, her chilling 'face' suddenly looked at Zhuo Yihang with glaring eyes. "Really?" she said, "Have you seen clearly? Does your Lian Jiejie look like this?"

Looking at such a frightening expression, Zhuo Yihang shuddered involuntarily, but he gathered his courage once again and reached out to hold White Hair Demoness' hand as with a loud and clear voice he declared, "Lian Jiejie, even if you are burnt into ashes I will still recognize you. In my eyes, you look exactly the same as you were in the past!"

White Hair Demoness sneered again as she flung Zhuo Yihang's hand away. "Go find your Lian Jiejie of the past," she said, "Go! Why aren't you going?"

Zhuo Yihang had a sudden inspiration. "Lian Jiejie," he said, "I haven't forgotten what I said to you, I am going to find the panacea to restore your youthfulness."

"That's your business," White Hair Demoness said, "I have nothing to do with it. You are you, I am me, we have nothing to do with each other. Stop calling me your Lian Jiejie, even if I were she, she has died once, why would you bring up the former matters?"

As Zhuo Yihang heard this, he could tell that although her tone was still grim, it was not as harsh as before; thereupon he said, "I know there is a kind of immortal flower somewhere on this prairie, it can turn one's white hair back to black and can recover one's youthfulness, let us go together to find it!"

White Hair Demoness suddenly laughed coldly and said, "I don't have time for this. Since you put that much importance on this mortal flesh, why don't you go find it alone? There is an inexhaustible supply of beautiful women in the world, you can enjoy it together."

Zhuo Yihang did not realize that White Hair Demoness has a very moody personality, since she had already grieved over her appearance, she did not want anybody to talk about it. Zhuo Yihang rushed two more steps forward. "No, no!" he anxiously said, "Lian Jiejie, that's not what I mean ..." Without waiting for him to finish speaking, White Hair Demoness suddenly turned around and walked away.

"Lian Jiejie, Lian Jiejie, you can't just leave like this!" Zhuo Yihang called out, "Have pity on me! I have been through ten thousands rivers and a thousand hills, wind, frost, rain and snow before I finally found you!"

White Hair Demoness suddenly halted her steps and let out another cold laugh. Zhuo Yihang heard her say, "Right, as a child of a rich family, as a sect leader of a prominent sect, surprisingly you were willing to endure the hardship of the wind and the frost beyond the Great Wall, your Lian Jiejie should be really appreciative!" Her words were full of cynicism, her meaning was clear: What meritorious deeds or toil have you done deserving any consideration?

Zhuo Yihang was taken aback, in that instant he was unable to think of any way to argue.

Amidst her cold laughter, White Hair Demoness leaped down from the mountain peak. Zhuo Yihang cried out in alarm, but he saw the sleeve of her clothes flutter, a white shadow riding on the wind flew by. White Hair Demoness had unleashed her near perfect qinggong to leave. Very soon her laughter diminished, her shadow vanished.

Zhuo Yihang stood by the hundreds of zhang deep cliff, he sighed dejectedly. At first he was upset, afterwards he started to blame himself. He thought that with his complete sincerity he would be able to move Yu Luocha's heart. But now he thought that after all was said and done, in all honesty, he had disappointed Yu Luocha too much, while the display of his sincerity was too little. When two people are deep in love, everything will come naturally, there is no need of too much talk. He went far beyond the Great Wall, braving the wind and the snow, those were things he ought to do anyway, why would he even need to mention it?

Once his thought reached this point, Zhuo Yihang felt that on the subject of love, his knowledge was simply not deep enough! After staring blankly for a day while he was immersed in his thought, Zhuo Yihang suddenly felt a renewed comprehension. He knew that even if he could find Yu Luocha again, Yu Luocha would still be unwilling to see him. Thereupon he left Tianshan's southern peak and went back to the northern peak to see Reverend Hui Ming.

As soon as they met, he asked, "Over three thousand li of thin water[1], how can I use the ladle to cross it?"

Reverend Hui Ming put his palms together and replied, "If in reality there is no water to cross, why would you want to drift along?"

Zhuo Yihang asked again, "If there was no Lei Yin Si[2] along the way to the Western Paradise, how did Tang Sanzang overcome the obstacle? If there was a Lei Yin Si, they would journey forever without reaching the destination, then what would happen?"

Reverend Hui Ming replied, "Didn't Tang Sanzang wish to achieve Buddhism and fetch the scriptures? What does the question of whether there was a Lei Yin Si along the way to the Western Paradise has anything to do with it? If wholeheartedly one wants to be a convert, why would one consider the distance one has to travel?"

Zhuo Yihang bowed deep with hands clasped, he said, "I have received venerable instruction!" Hurriedly he went out without saying anything anymore. Reverend Hui Ming did not persuade him to stay either; he simply smiled slightly while also sighed repeatedly.

These exchanges were actually Zhuo Yihang's way of asking Reverend Hui Ming's advice in regard to Yu Luocha. He used 'thin water' as an allegory to 'the river of love'[3]. On 'thin water', any object would immediately sink, so he asked Reverend Hui Ming how could he fly across it? Reverend Hui Ming advised him not to drift along first, since in actuality there is no such thing as 'thin water'. Zhuo Yihang was also afraid that although he did everything possible, he would still not receive Yu Luocha's forgiveness, or perhaps when finally Yu Luocha forgive him, many years would be spent in vain, then what should he do? Thereupon he was using the 'Tang Sanzang overcomes the obstacle' metaphor.

-----------------------------------------------
    [1]Orig. ‘ruo shui’ – weak water. From the following passage, I believe it means ‘water with low density (or specific gravity)’, hence I translate it as ‘thin water’.

[2]Temple of 'the Sound of Thunder'. My apology to the readers, I am not familiar with either Buddhism or Journey to the West. I would appreciate it very much if any of you can help me clarify this part.

[3]Can also be translated as 'a stumbling block on the path to enlightenment (Buddhism)'.

Thanks for the update foxs.

Sigh...ZYH is still very unlikable. He keeps telling YLC that he'll find the flower to cure her appearance but he never considered that maybe she doesn't want to go back to what she was before. It never occurred to him that maybe she has already accepted her appearance and wants it to serve as a reminder of the betrayal she went through. Bottom line, he still doesn't understand her at all and once again doesn't deserve her love.

I actually think that was a good plan. Not for making her young again but to fulfil his promise of years ago.

THANK YOU FOXS! =D I was anxiously awaiting this chapter. Hopefully in the next four chapter YLC will go through major martial arts advancements. I don't think that was a very good promise to begin with though. Even back then he was focused on her appearance and could not accept her aging and becoming ugly. As corny as it is he should have said something like I will love you no matter what. But yeah, I think white hair on young people looks cool, not a problem at all o.o.

But lol I was right, just because she wants to see him does not mean she wants to be with him. I think it's proper she left this time round, he is still unworthy of her.
    Last edited by Fighting_Wind; 04-07-10 at 09:12 PM.

Default Chapter 29 - Part 2

As Zhuo Yihang took his leave and went down the mountain, he said in his heart: 'That's true, as long as I vow to be always faithful, there will come a day when Lian Jiejie will forgive me. Perhaps she did not mean it, perhaps she is intentionally testing me through suffering. Suddenly remembering the Superior Dark Clouds Immortal Flower from the folklore, he said in his heart, 'Even if I have to do everything I can, braving the rain, snow, wind and frost in the next ten years, I must find this flower, to let Lian Jiejie know my heart and my love to her.'

Henceforth Zhuo Yihang wandered around the vast prairie; he roamed all over Tianshan, north and south, and very soon three winters and summers had passed. Yet all along he was not able to find the fabled immortal flowers.

One day, Zhuo Yihang was in the deep wilderness to the north of Tianshan, when a brilliant white snow-covered mountain peak attracted his attention. This mountain peak looked like a camel, with its head on the east and its tail to the west, and its entire body was covered with a snow white fur. Upon reaching the foot of the peak, Zhuo Yihang suddenly saw a stone building on the hillside. To have herdsmen at the foot of Tianshan was nothing out of ordinary, but to have some people actually live alone on a snow-covered hillside was quite strange. His curiosity was piqued, so he climbed upward.

All these years Zhuo Yihang had endured quite a harsh training; not only his martial art skill advanced greatly, his endurance was also far above his previous condition. Currently he was able to climb the mountain just like treading on a flat land. In just a short moment he was already half-way up the mountain. He heard several people were talking loudly in front of the stone house. Hiding behind a large rock, Zhuo Yihang looked out and saw two Lamas, one old, the other young, were shouting loudly. The other party was a villager dressed in Kazakh minority attire, accompanied by a twelve, thirteen years old boy. The child looked like a skinny monkey, but his eyes were large and round, and looked so alive with spirit.

The old Lama shouted, “Xin Laowu[4], since you cannot deliver the snow lotus herb, and you can’t fulfill your quota of rhinoceros horn, what do you have to say for yourself? How am I supposed to tell the Prince?”

The older Kazakh villager pleaded, “This year I found barely enough snow lotus herb, which I had to sell to the medicine merchant; rhinoceros horn I only found one, Dashi Fu[5], please be lenient to me.”

The old Lama was called Tiande Shangren[6], he was one of the Elders of Tian Long Pai of Tibet, who was hired by the tribal chief of Kazakh people as their master protector. The younger Lama was his disciple. Kazakh people were originally one of the nomadic tribes on the prairie. Each member of the tribe was required to pay tribute to their chief. The herdsmen must pay tribute in the form of livestock, the hunters and herbs gatherers of the mountain must pay tribute in the form of raw material for medicine and wild animals. Nine out of ten Kazakh people lived on the prairie, raising cattle and sheep. Only about a hundred or so families made their living on the mountain. They lived scattered over the Tianshan mountain range, so it was quite inconvenient to collect the tribute.

Tiande Shangren, however, harbored an ulterior motive; each year he would volunteer to collect the tribute for the chief from the mountain hunters, his purpose was to gather rare medicinal herbs of Tianshan, which he would embezzle for himself. For example, the chief would require certain household to pay one rhinoceros horn, he would ask for two; or if the tribute was two snow lotus herbs, he would demand four. Since the mountain dwellers were unable to see their chief in person to ask for leniency, while powerless to resist the collectors, they were easily exploited. Xin Wu was a prominent Kazakh hunter, but because he was unable to defy, he was forced to beg for mercy.

Tiande Shangren rolled his strange-looking eyes, with a cold laugh he said, “So you sold it to the merchant? Humph, what a nerve! Why didn’t you give it to the Prince first?”

Xin Wu said, “If we don’t sell it, what would we eat? Snow lotus herb cannot appease hunger. Our Prince’s treatment to his people has always been good. In the past, when we cannot find any snow lotus herb, and did not pay tribute for two, three years, he would never send anybody to collect it. Dashi, please speak to him on our behalf, tell him our miserable plight. The Prince will certainly understand.”

Tiande Shangren’s face flushed with rage, he scolded, “The Prince is kindhearted, you are cunning and abusing his kindness. The Prince can excuse you, I can’t! Are you going to pay or not? If not, I will arrest and take you away!”

Without waiting for his master’s order, the young Lama immediately stepped forward, ready to fight. Xin Wu retreated again and again, while begging for mercy continuously. It looked like he would soon be caught by the Lama.

In this critical situation, the boy suddenly called out, “Robbers! You dare to bully my father!” Suddenly he bent his waist and jumped with both feet, charging forward. The young Lama was completely oblivious of this attack, his lower abdomen and dan tian[7]was hit by the boy's head. 'Thump!' he was toppled down!

Tiande Shangren was slightly startled. As the boy succeeded in toppling down one man, his courage arose, repeating his previous movement, he charged toward Tiande Shangren. Tiande Shangren lightly evaded, the boy's head struck a tree nearby. The tree shook, but surprisingly the boy did not cry out of pain. Seeing this, Zhuo Yihang was much amazed, he did not expect this little boy would have this kind of strong natural power.

Tiande Shangren laughed aloud as he grabbed and squeezed the boy's arm. Tiande Shangren was an elder of a sect, naturally his martial art skill was not weak. Although the child had a strong natural power, he was unable to budge.

Xin Wu called out, "Master, he is only a child who does not understand anything, please let him go, I will find some more snow lotus herb for you."

"Xin Laowu," Tiande Shangren said with a laugh, "Consider it your good luck to have such a fine son! Not only I won't harm a single strand of his hair, I will even exempt you from paying the tribute."

Xin Wu was very happy, he was just about to express his gratitude when Tiande Shangren suddenly continued, "Hold on! Although your son was born with a few catties of brute force, without any great teacher to give him directions, he will grow to be no more than a rough ox; what good will he be?"

As soon as Xin Wu heard this, he knew the Lama's intention, but he did not say anything. Tiande Shangren released his grip and said with a smile, "Little kid, look at this!" With a sudden movement his palm hacked down on the tree trunk. 'Whoosh!' his chop was better than a machete. "What do you think?" he said, "You hit this tree, but not even a single leaf was shaken down. With just a palm I can cut it down. Don't you think my skill is a lot higher than yours?"

With his pair of large eyes the boy stared at him. He asked, "What good is it to have such a high skill? Every year you bully my father, I don't want to learn the skill of a bully!"

Tiande Shangren's countenance changed; suddenly he laughed again and said, "What a brat! You don't know what's good for you. Let me tell you: Your fate is decided. I must have you as my disciple, later on I will not want your father's things."
    The boy's face looked delighted, but suddenly he asked, "What about my uncles? Will you not want my uncles' things too?"

Tiande Shangren was surprised, "Since when do you have so many uncles?" he asked.

The skinny boy replied, "Father told me that in the past our Prince did not want us to pay too much taxes, it was only after you came along that we have to pay more. Outside the mountain you want my uncles' livestock, on the mountain you want my uncles' medicinal herbs, you want to take everything."

Xin Wu hastily said, "Little child must not speak nonsense! Master, he is my lifeblood, please don't take him away."

"Humph!" Tiande Shangren was furious, he shouted, "You dare to oppose Buddha! If I didn't look at your son's face, I would send you return to the heavens first! I don't want snow lotus herb, I want your son. Others wanted me to take them as my disciples, I was not willing, you just don't know how to appreciate someone's kindness!"

--------------------------------------------------
    [4]‘Ol’ Xin the fifth’

[5]‘reverend father’ (lit. great master father)

[6]Tiande means heavenly virtue, Shangren (lit. above/upper person) is a term of respect to address a Buddhist monk.

[7]A point two inches below the navel where one's chi resides.

Thanks for the translation foxs! Man, LOWHD has the most frequent time skips I have seen. It has been like over 10 years I think. ZYH better get rid of that Shangren guy, I hate exploiters.

Senior Member kyss of the sword's Avatar

i wonder if the kid will end up as Zhuo Yihang's disciple. ZIY has wudang for a few years, i wonder if he managed to complete the damo swordplay or create any skills of his own. it seems YLC and HM are becoming goodly swordsmasters and leaving everyone lese behind.
    THE KYSS OF THE SWORD IS DEADLY BUT EXQUSITE
    he's the strongest in history but he's the disciple.
    http://www.mangafox.com/manga/histor...ciple_kenichi/

Default Chapter 29 - Part 3

The skinny boy called out, "Alright, you curse my father, you bully us, I don't want to be your disciple!"

With a malicious grin Tiande Shangren said, "You don't have any choice, I will take you home. I will use whip to shed your love of the wilderness first, and then after you submit to me, I will teach you my skill."

The skinny boy struggled with all his might, but Tiande Shangren tightly gripped his wrist. The more he struggled, the more painful he was, but this boy was so stubborn that he did not beg for mercy at all.

Watching this scene, Zhuo Yihang was burning with rage; he leaped out from behind the rock and with a loud voice shouted, "Where's the logic in receiving a disciple like this?"

Tiande Shangren cast him a glance; he noticed Zhuo Yihang looked like a Han scholar. With a loud laughter he said, "What do you have to do with me accepting a disciple?"

Zhuo Yihang said, "Accepting disciple must be by mutual consent."

Tiande Shangren said with a laugh, "Whatever Buddha wants, Buddha gets. You talk too much, I will break your legs first."

With a cold laugh Zhuo Yihang said, "Do you think you can do it? Let me be honest with you: this child has a beautiful inborn character, you are not fit to be his Shifu!"

Tiande Shangren roared in laughter. "If I am not fit to be his Shifu, what about you?" he said, "Listening to your tone, it seems to me you also know some three-legged cat martial art skill. Come, come! Why don't we have a little competition here?"

Zhuo Yihang did not move a single muscle; with a lazy smile he said, "If you want to have a competition, why don't you start? Why are you still blowing off steam?"

Seeing Zhuo Yihang did not even try to avoid the fight, did not show any respect to him, and carrying a careless attitude, Tiande Shangren could not restrain his anger. Flicking his monk robe away, he used the palm style with which he chopped the tree just a moment ago. 'Whoosh!' his palm swept horizontally!

He did not realize that Zhuo Yihang deliberately wanted him to lose his temper. Actually, when Zhuo Yihang saw the way he chop the large tree, although he knew that based on his own power he would not necessarily lose, he realized it would not be easy to score victory either. Although on the surface he looked careless, inwardly he gathered his strength, to use stillness to overcome movement.

First, Tiande Shangren was underestimating the opponent, second, he was infuriated; having a hot temper, his chi became unstable. Although his force was violent, it was not heavy, although his stance was swift, it was unsteady. Zhuo Yihang waited until the edge of the palm to almost arrive, when it almost touched his clothes, suddenly he turned his palm around horizontally, with the palm of his hand facing out, with his strength concentrated at the fingers. When Tiande Shangren palm chop arrived, he felt a jolt of energy pushing out; he could not control his body as he was pushed and tumbled down sideways. Quickly he used the ‘thousand-catty fall’ to steady, but unexpectedly Zhuo Yihang redirected his force, now he pulled to the back, and then instantly pulled out his strength completely. Tiande Shangren staggered. Zhuo Yihang flipped his palm over and struck Tiande Shangren’s chest, while shouting, “Go!” His palm pushed out, Tiande Shangren’s huge body immediately flew up, he was thrown backward with his head toward the rock!

Zhuo Yihang laughed aloud. To his surprise, Tiande Shangren’s martial art ability was really not low, he flipped in the air, with his head down and feet up, his palm pushed against the ground, his body somersaulted. As soon as his feet touched the ground, like a flying arrow he shot back to attack while spinning his palms.

Seeing this display of superb martial art skill, Zhuo Yihang did not let him to launch a frontal attack, he immediately sidestepped with his left palm taking Tiande Shangren's wrist, while with his right hand, with fingers straight like a spear, he reached out as fast as lightning toward the side of Tiande Shangren's body. Tiande Shangren's fists missed their target, while his side was threatened, hastily he held his breath to protect his acupoint, hence his speed was slowing down somewhat. With both fists Zhuo Yihang punched repeatedly, and gradually was able to gain the upper hand.

Twice in a row Tiande Shangren had been in a disadvantageous position, he was quite upset and was hungry for a quick victory. However, after fighting for more than a dozen moves, Zhuo Yihang raised his left leg, while struck with his right palm. 'Bang!' Tiande Shangren's shoulder was hit. In this strike, Zhuo Yihang was using the unexpected tricky move called the Attack of Top and Bottom Intersection from the Wudang's Palm Technique. Fist and kick alternated, top and bottom working seamlessly, Tiande Shangren was unable to resist. 'Thump!' he tumbled down on the ground, and was unable to crawl back up for half a day.

Watching from the side, the skinny boy clapped his hands and cheered. "Kick him again!" he called out to Zhuo Yihang, "Kick him down the mountain!"

"Can't he crawl down by himself?" Zhuo Yihang said with a laugh.

Tiande Shangren's face was red with shame, he crawled up and without daring to make any noise he ran down the mountain, followed by his disciple. The boy was delighted even more, he roared in laughter. Xin Wu stepped forward to express his gratitude, Zhuo Yihang said, "It was nothing, there is no need to thank me, Sir. Your child has grown big, what is his name? Looking at his skill just now, I am sure he will surpass us in later time!"

"Longzi[8]," Xin Wu called his son, "Why haven't you thanked our benefactor? If not for this Mister, you would have been taken away by that evil monk! Mister, please don't mock him. He is thirteen this year, he still does not understand anything, he is very wild, really!"

Suddenly the boy knelt in front of Zhuo Yihang and said, "Benefactor, please take me as your disciple. Let me, Xin Longzi kowtow to you!"

Actually, Zhuo Yihang did not have any intention to accept any disciple, but looking at Xin Longzi's peculiar appearance and strong innate power, he was delighted and said, "Very well, I accept you as my disciple. I forbid you to take unfair advantage of others based on your own power after you mastered my skill."

Xin Longzi said, "If I take unfair advantage of others based on my power, let me be like the evil monk just now, let me not die a good death."

Xin Wu was also very happy, but he was afraid Zhuo Yihang would take his son away. Zhuo Yihang said, "I know he is your lifeblood, I will teach him martial art here."

Xin Wu invited Zhuo Yihang to sit inside the stone house. The furnishing inside the stone house was very simple; there were two sets of bow and arrow hanging on the wall, and several animal hides, there were several large rocks on the floor, to be used as table and stools.

"Why do you live on a snowy mountain like this?" Zhuo Yihang asked.

"We are accustomed to the cold weather," Xin Wu replied, "It is easier to make a living in here; with many snowy peaks on the mountain, gathering the medicinal herbs is rather easy."

"Shifu," Xin Longzi said, "Tomorrow I'll take you up the icy peak to play, it's so much fun out there. There is an icy lake, with a couple of snow lotus herb on it. They bloom once every three years, it's too bad that we have already picked this year's snow lotus herb and traded it with the medicine merchant for salt and food, otherwise I can show it to you. The lotus looks very beautiful, it has a snow-white flower, very big and fragrant. One flower can be traded for ten catties of salt."

Zhuo Yihang said, "Snow lotus herb is a very rare drug ingredient, out there, one flower worth at least one tael of gold. Next time you shouldn't trade it cheap like that."

Xin Longzi said, "What good is gold? It cannot be eaten."

Xin Wu sighed and said, "How would we know snow lotus herb is that valuable? Even if we can bring it outside, it's not going to be easy to find a buyer who would pay the fair price. Besides, what about the travel expenses? Where can we borrow the money from?"

Zhuo Yihang came from a wealthy family, he had a rather shallow understanding of poor people's plight. He listened without saying anything, but in his heart he was laughing at himself for not understanding worldly affairs.

Xin Longzi laughed and said, "Shifu, I remember something: there are a couple more flowers up there, which are more beautiful than the snow lotus herb. Too bad those flowers have not bloomed."

Zhuo Yihang's heart was stirred, "Those couple of flowers, aren't they one white one red?" he anxiously asked.

--------------------------------------------
    [8]Lit. 'dragon kid'.

I originally thought the kid Xin Longzi will be YMK's disciple. Guess I was wrong.

Thank you Foxs! Ooh! The flower, can't wait.

I kinda knew he would be ZYH's disciple but I rather he be YMK. XD You get the feeling he will be weak in future comparatively with ZYH as his master.

Senior Member kyss of the sword's Avatar

will this kid turn up in seven swords. just wondering.
    THE KYSS OF THE SWORD IS DEADLY BUT EXQUSITE
    he's the strongest in history but he's the disciple.
    http://www.mangafox.com/manga/histor...ciple_kenichi/

Quote Originally Posted by kyss of the sword View Post
    will this kid turn up in seven swords. just wondering.

What is 'Seven Swords'? title of another novel?
    Rose blooms best near death
    You are in full bloom, Pal!