Page 28 of 32 FirstFirst ... 181920212223242526272829303132 LastLast

Thread: Legend of the White Haired Maiden

I am wandering when or will ZYH be able to obtain the full set of Damo's sword technique as the novel keep mentioning about it.

Quote Originally Posted by ken2004 View Post
    I am wandering when or will ZYH be able to obtain the full set of Damo's sword technique as the novel keep mentioning about it.
    I think the Damo's sword technique is lost for good. But from the few stances that ZYH was able to display, it seems like a very powerful sword technique.

Default Chapter 29 - Part 8

After an unknown time had passed, suddenly he heard sound of hoof beats and footsteps outside the mouth of the pass. Zhuo Yihang suddenly remembered that Shi Hao and Hachuan were still lying on the mountain path below; he thought, "Lian Jiejie is not willing to see me, there is no need for me to wait here. I wonder who's coming? If they are on Shi Hao's side and coming to help him, won't I fail my promise to Tang Nu? Not only that, Lian Jiejie would also have saved me in vain." Having these thoughts, he hurriedly rushed down the peak.

Zhuo Yihang's stab just now was rather severe, Shi Hao's shinbone was pierced through. He was struggling to crawl on the ground, but he was still about a zhang away from Hachuan. It appeared that he was going to unseal Hachuan's acupoint, and then he would ask Hachuan to carry him down the mountain. It was a good plan, too bad that he was destined to fail within the sight of success. Zhuo Yihang arrived and subdued him. Zhuo Yihang sealed Shi Hao's acupoint, and then cutting a strip of wild vine, he bound the two of them together. Afterwards he went to look for Master Leimeng.

He saw Master Leimeng was sprawling by the roadside with his face toward the sky, with a dark red streak across his throat. Zhuo Yihang lifted his foot to kick him gently, but Master Leimeng did not move at all, unexpectedly he had died! Zhuo Yihang bent down to take a closer look, and saw a silver needle sticking on Leimeng's throat almost all the way, only a little bit of needle was visible outside; Zhuo Yihang could not refrain from letting out a soft gasp!

The needle on Master Leimeng's throat was undoubtedly Yu Luocha's unique secret projectile, the Nine-star Shaped Needle. Tiny secret projectiles such as Plum Blossom Needle and the like can only be released from a close distance, they cannot be thrown too far. Yet Yu Luocha was able to take the enemy's life without anybody was able to see her. Supposing she was hiding behind the nearest pile of rocks, the distance was still more than five zhang away. To be able to throw a needle over such distance and kill the enemy shows not only superb secret projectile skill, but a shocking internal energy level as well.

Zhuo Yihang sighed and mused, "I did not expect Lian Jiejie's skill has reached such a state; it's just that she is a bit too ruthless."

The sound of hoof beats was getting nearer, a short moment later, a small group of Kazakh warriors in single file entered the mouth of the gorge. The leader was an elderly general, with a golden-backed 'hacking-mountain' saber across his hand, the long hair on his temples fluttered in the air, he looked very imposing.

Zhuo Yihang stepped forward to meet them and asked, "Are you the Kazakh's Old Hero, General Balong?"

With a surprised look on his face, the old general replied, "Who are you? You are a Han, how did you know my name?" Looking around, suddenly he noticed Hachuan and Shi Hao, who were bound together; unable to restrain his shock he called out, "Hachuan, are you also a Manchu spy?"

Hachuan opened his eyes and shot back, "What Manchu spy? I am helping Chief to unify Tianshan's north and south, a grand plan, but you are wrecking it!"

"What plan?" Balong asked.

Hachuan replied, "The Manchurian army is far way outside the pass, how can they be a threat to us? If we form an alliance with them to fight the Ming, only good will come out of it, nothing bad will happen. I hate it that an old useless man like you thwarting it, that even our Prince, the Great Chief Unifier of Princes and Dukes, does not believe me. I am working with Tiande Shangren so that Kadar Prince will join our cause, and form an alliance with our Prince and other tribal chiefs. After the Manchus enter the pass and destroy the Mings, we, the people beyond the Great Wall will become a nation; what's not good about it?"

Hachuan was actually a first class warrior of the Kazakh; a pity that he was brave but lacked wisdom, his brain was muddled, so much so that he looked for the impossible and had not realized the folly of his thinking.

Balong sighed and said, "Hachuan, you are a fool! You have been exploited by traitors; don't you realize it?" He was sighing, but he was actually secretly rejoicing because Hachuan was such a simple and straightforward man, that he exposed the conspiracy between Meng Sasi, Tiande Shangren and the Manchu, so that the disaster looming over the prairie can be avoided in time.

Balong asked Zhuo Yihang, "Were you the one who caught these two men?"

"That's right," Zhuo Yihang replied.

"Why do you want to catch them?" Balong asked, "Did you know beforehand that they are Manchu spies?"

Zhuo Yihang said, "Even if I did not know their conspiracy, I still wanted to catch him," he pointed to Shi Hao. "Old Hero," he continued, "You may not know that he was a trusted aide to Wei Zhongxian who had brought disaster to the country and calamity to the people, the former Chief of the Imperial Bodyguards, Shi Hao!"

Wei Zhongxian was in power for many years, his notoriety spread out far and wide, even the people beyond the Great Wall all knew about him. "Aya!" Balong could not help but exclaim; and then he said with a laugh, "We, the people of the prairie, have a saying: trash tends to make a pile; no wonder he is in cahoots with that bald donkey Tiande."

Hachuan was listening with eyes open wide, he was really confused. Hearing Balong's last words, he was angered and shouted, "Balong, are you saying that I am trash?"

"You are not trash," Balong replied, "But you are being confused by the stink of trash!" After pausing for a while, he turned to Zhuo Yihang, "You have captured these two men, by right you ought to decide how to handle them. However, I am asking you a favor: is it alright to untie Hachuan?"

"I'll leave the handling of this matter to General," Zhuo Yihang replied.

Balong untied Hachuan and took him to the side and slowly told him the truth. Zhuo Yihang was able to hear everything. Balong explained how Tiande Shangren had been oppressing their people, deceiving those above him and bullying those below him. The two of them were talking for half a day. The more they talked, Hachuan grew ashamed mixed with indignation, his back was wet with perspiration. Suddenly he sprang up and said, "Alright, you are right! Tiande has swindled me to be his hit-man, I want to go back and settle the score with him."

"No need to rush," Balong said, "We will eventually settle the score with him. But let me ask you first: you came to this place today, was it on Tiande's orders?"

Hachuan said, "He told me and his martial nephew to come together to provide support for that Manchu envoy. Unexpectedly before the Manchu envoy appeared, we saw this Shi Hao."

Zhuo Yihang said, "The Manchu envoy has been apprehended by Tang Nu early on."

Balong happily said, "Tang Nu is really good, he has already investigated the Manchu envoy's movement over at the Kadar Prince, Meng Sasi's place, but hindered by Meng Sasi's power, he was unable to catch the envoy. Therefore, seizing the opportunity when the envoy was leaving, he contacted me to prepare an ambush here. Too bad I am still one step too late."

Handing over Shi Hao to Balong, Zhuo Yihang said, "You are already aware about the wickedness of Tiande. I am asking you to advise your Prince to expel him out of the prairie. I am taking my leave now."

"Hero[16]," Balong said, "I have a favor to ask you." Zhuo Yihang asked him what he need, Balong said, "Day after tomorrow we are going to hold the treaty meeting of the various tribes north of Xinjiang at the Kaqin Prairie, this time we will push forward the forming of an alliance among the tribes. I am afraid Meng Sasi and his clique will create a disturbance; moreover, Tiande's martial art is too strong for the likes of us to deal with. I am asking you to stay and lend us your power! We will thank you endlessly."

Zhuo Yihang thought it was his righteous duty to help, thereupon he agreed. Balong was experienced and careful, taking along Zhuo Yihang and Hachuan, he led his men hiding in the prairie instead of promptly returning home to see their Chief; he chose to make preparations quietly first and did not send any reports to the Chief.

Three days later, the leaders of various tribes and clans, accompanied by people of importance in their tribe, had all gathered at the Kaqin Prairie for the alliance treaty meeting. Kazakh's chief was deeply concerned because his trusted assistant, Balong, had suddenly gone missing these past few days. It was quite unimaginable, especially on the eve of this kind of important event.

It was the middle of a hot summer, during the day, the prairie felt like the oven, but the evenings were very cool and refreshing, requiring the people to wear lined clothing; therefore, all activities were to be held in the evening.

As the sunset glow faded away, the crescent moon raised above the grassland. Balong had not returned home. Without any other choice, Kazakh Chief took Tiande as part of his entourage to the treaty meeting.

A large bonfire was lighted on the prairie, the tribal chiefs and their delegations sat underneath the canopies built on the grass around the fire. The assembly was opened with a sharp debate. The Kadar Chief, Meng Sasi, wanted to elect the alliance leader first, while the Luobu Chief, Tang Nu, wanted to push the capture of the Manchurian envoy first on the agenda; he wanted to expose Meng Sasi's collusion with the Manchurian to the assembly.

Collaboration with the Manchurians to betray one's country was indisputably major accusation among the people of China; however, the Manchus had never waged war with the people of the prairie, therefore, 'collaboration with the Manchurians to betray one's country' was no more than a tactic used in the argument. Meng Sasi counter-accused Tang Nu of not even informing him of the capture of Manchu envoy in his employment. A sharp debate followed, the majority of the tribal chiefs did not approve of forming an alliance with the Manchus to oppose the Mings. However, some people also believed that Tang Nu detaining the Manchurian envoy was inappropriate.

During the heated argument, the warrior on guard duty came in to report: "General Balong of Kazakh and his entourage have arrived!"

Such is: Joining hands to subdue the tiger and capture the dragon, the dark cloud loomings overhead must be swept clean.

---------------------------------------------------
    [16]Orig. 'yi shi' - literal translation would be 'righteous scholar'.

And that's the end of Chapter 29 ... Three more to go!

Now that this story is nearing its completion, inevitably I am starting to think what shall I do next? I want to continue Lu Xiaofeng, but since Junny is still working on it, perhaps she will continue 'til the end. I did consider Seven Swords, but frankly, I want to take a break from Zhuo Yihang. (Might come back to it later) So ... after looking around, I found this The Deer and the Cauldron, which I have never read before. After a quick check around, here is what I found:

1. Amazon.com has all three books, but the price is exorbitant. The third book alone is more than 700 USD. Seven hundreds?!? I can't afford it.
    2. People say (that is you, my friend) that it is actually an abridged version, i.e. John Minford did not translate the book in its entirety.
    3. HuntingX was planning on translating this a while back, but I think he only managed to finish the Prologue.

OK, my question to you, especially you who are familiar with the story: will it worth my time and energy to translate the story as Jin Yong wrote it? (That is, if HuntingX will allow me to do that) Or do you think I will only be wasting my time?

Anybody care to tell me what you think?

Thank you foxs for the translation! I am so sorry, I rad it really late and forgot to comment =(

YLC still following him around all these years is just so dad =(. And with the ruthlesss comment, when will ZYH stop looking down on her. To be honest I don't mind which novel you'll tae on. All the best =)

Thank you foxs for the update. Can't wait to read the conclusion of this novel.

As for your future works, I would love for you to continue on to Seven Swords but I understand if you need a break.

If I have to pick, I'm hoping that you can pick up the translation for the Sword of the Third Master by Gu Long. It was partially translated but never completed. It would be great if you can pick that up.

With all that said, whatever you decide will be great. Thanks.
    Last edited by SkyWalker; 04-22-10 at 07:34 AM.

Foxs, thanks again for the translation.

if you are working on another novel, i can't wait, anything you choose would be great. one idea, how about finishing sword of the 3rd young master.

DOMD was JY's last novel, and not coincidentally, some people consider it his best work. Definitely worth reading, although it is rather long. If you're looking for something shorter, I might suggest translating Fei Hu Wai Zhuan (Tales of Flying Fox). I watched the 2006 TV adaptation recently and am curious how the novel is. Thanks for all your hard work!

Default Chapter 30 - Part 1

Chapter 30
    Cold star appears on the horizon
    Frustrated heart
    Fierce battle on the prairie
    Intense sword aura
    (Translated by Foxs, Edited by Eliza Bennet)

Balong's prestige within the Kazakh people was second only to the Chief’s; this time he arrived after a long delay, all the chiefs of various tribes were astonished, the Kazakh Chief was even more unhappy. The sharp debate was suspended, everybody turned their attention to welcome him. They noticed that Balong was accompanied by a Han, who was boldly striding into the meeting arena. As soon as Tiande Shangren recognized the Han man, his countenance changed. The incoming Han man was no other than Zhuo Yihang who had defeated him.

Kadar Chief, Meng Sasi was the first to open his mouth in protest, "Today's assembly is our grassland people's assembly, how can a Han take part in it?"

Balong laughed and said, "This Han man is closely related to our treaty to form an alliance. Besides, Tiande Shangren is not of our grassland people either, he is a meeting participant, why didn't you raise any objection?"

Meng Sasi was silenced. "What relationship does he have with our assembly?" he then asked, "If he has anything to say, let him say it first, and then he can be dismissed."

When Balong was arguing with Meng Sasi, Zhuo Yihang swept his gaze around the meeting, his eyes met with Luobu Chief, Tang Nu, they smiled at each other.

Meanwhile, Meng Sasi had finished speaking, Zhuo Yihang was about to speak, when suddenly he saw commotion among the crowd outside the meeting circle. Someone was saying with a laugh, "Prince Tang Nu, your princess does not want to play outside, she wants to come with you!" The grassland people's assembly did not follow any strict protocol to begin with, so when a Chief's daughter ran in to find her father, nobody thought it strange.

Balong, who was sitting next to Zhuo Yihang, laughed and said, "Tang Nu only has one daughter, whom he doted very much, wherever he goes, he always takes this daughter along. All of us are very fond of her."

Zhuo Yihang found it amusing. He saw the crowd part and a little girl, about eleven or twelve years old, ran in. Her forehead was covered with bangs, with two braids of hair hanging behind her head, she wore a tight-fitting turquoise archery clothes, in the style of a grassland warrior. The rest of her hair was combed into horn-shape on the sides of her head, tied with a strip of red silk turban, which was fluttering in the wind as she run, she looked very lively.

The girl shouted, "Father, it's not fun playing outside, the wind and the sand are strong, I want to warm myself with you here. Hey, will you have a martial art competition later in the program?"

When the grassland people were having an assembly, and they could not reach an agreeable decision, oftentimes they would settle it with archery, horse-riding and the like. Most probably this girl had heard from the warriors guarding outside about the sharp argument earlier, thereupon she asked as soon as she was in.

Tang Nu laughed and said, "You must not raise a clamor, if you want to stay here, you must sit nicely and do not make any noise, or else I will send you out."

A chief teased her by saying, "If we have a martial art competition, we will ask our Little Fei Hongjin to be the judge, alright?"

The little girl cast a glance toward her father, and did not dare to reply loudly. She only put her thumb on the corner of her mouth and said, "Yes!" while nodding her head vigorously, as if she was saying, "Wonderful, wonderful!"

Zhuo Yihang's speech was interrupted by the little girl, at first he was not too happy, but seeing her lively and cute appearance, he could not help but won over by her smile. In a low voice he asked Balong, "How come Tang Nu's daughter's name is so unusual, she is called Fei Hongjin?"

Balong answered with a laugh, "That's not her real name. Her name is Hamaya, but because she always wear a red silk turban on her head, plus she loves to ride on horseback - don't look at her young age, she can ride very fast, like the horse is flying - so everybody call her Fei Hongjin[1]."

In the midst of heated argument, Fei Hongjin had brought a relaxed atmosphere. The numerous chiefs also took this opportunity to break the tension. After the laughter subsided, Meng Sasi's face turned serious again as he said, "Balong, who is the Han man you bring along? What is it that he wants to say?"

Zhuo Yihang slowly walked into the center of the arena, he cupped his fist around and said, "My name is Zhuo Yihang, I am the Sect Leader Disciple of Wudang Pai of the Central Plains."

His words were met with an uproar from Tiande Shangren, "Balong is colluding with a sect of the Wulin world of the Han people, could it be that he wants to seize the leadership?"

Balong only laughed coldly. The Kazakh Chief knew very well that Balong was loyal and devoted, but these past several days Balong had suddenly gone missing, he could not stop suspicion from creeping into his heart; now hearing Tiande Shangren's instigation, he simply had to ask, "I have long heard that Wudang Pai is the leader of the Wulin world of the Central Plains; since you are the Sect Leader Disciple, why are you here?"

Zhuo Yihang replied, "For us Jianghu people, floating to the east and rushing to the west is very common. If Prince asks me why I am here, it's the same as asking Wei Zhongxian's cronies why are they here? I am here for a personal matter, Wei Zhongxian's cronies are here as envoys to the Manchus, who in reality are threatening your authority and even want to take your life!"

Tiande Shangren's countenance changed greatly. "Nonsense!" he said mockingly, "How can there be any Wei Zhongxian's cronies in here? What do we have to do with your Han people's internal strife?"

When Wei Zhongxian was still in power, he extorted considerable amount of tribute from these princes, therefore, the various tribes in Xinjiang all knew that this man was a castrated traitor of the Ming Dynasty. After they were extorted once or twice, they simply decided not to send any more tributes, yet these people really detested Wei Zhongxian.

Zhuo Yihang laughed coldly, he said mysteriously, "Do you want me to present people who will recognize you?"

Balong let out a long whistle. The men he had prepared outside the meeting arena immediately pushed two men in; one was Shi Hao, the other was Hachuan.

Pointing at Shi Hao, Zhuo Yihang said, "He had once stayed in your tent for many days, how can you forget him this quickly?"

Shi Hao knew his fate was like a fish in the net, he was ready to die; however, to lighten his crime, he was willing to testify, "Shangren, if not for you and Prince Meng Sasi who are protecting me, as a Han, I alone would not dare to create trouble!"

Meng Sasi's heart was greatly shaken, but on the outside he stayed calm. "You Han people are crafty in many ways; how do I know you are not bribing this man to masquerade as Wei Zhongxian's crony and conspire with you to slander me?"

Zhuo Yihang laughed aloud and said, "There are crafty people everywhere in the world, not just among the Han people. Great Prince of Kazakh, if you do not trust Han people, here we have your own loyal subordinate."

Hachuan responded by stepping forward and with a loud and clear voice said, "Prince, please pardon me! At first Tiande Shangren told me that he is going to help you win the leadership of various tribes' alliance, only then did I obey his order, together with Prince Meng Sasi to make contact with the Manchurian envoy, in preparation of the unification of the tribes north and south of Tianshan. But now I know that they have another scheme! They are prepared to use me to replace Balong, and after they seize power over your military, they are going to force you to submit to them and be their puppet. If you don't want to submit, they are going to kill you. And later, after the Manchurians cross the pass, Prince Meng Sasi will swallow up various tribes and found a kingdom with him as the emperor, become a vassal state of the Manchurians!"

Hachuan's speech had created quite a sensation in the audience. Meng Sasi shouted sternly, "Hachuan, do you have any evidence? You are making slanderous accusations against others! Great Prince of the Kazakhs! Your subordinate slanders me, I demand you to condemn him!"

The Kazakh Prince was also flustered, he shouted sternly, "Hachuan, you don't have any evidence, you must not make irresponsible remarks!"

Hachuan calmly said, "Evidence? But I have already brought the evidence."

Tiande Shangren flicked his two fingers, like a lightning a small fork used to pick beef flew toward Hachuan's throat!

--------------------------------------------------
    [1]Lit. flying red turban; 'fei' - fly or flying, 'hong' - red, 'jin' - women's headcovering.

Thanks for the update foxs.

Looks like the main characters for seven swords are slowly being introduced. We already saw Yang Yun Cong, Chu Zhao Nan, and now we have Fei Hong Jin. Interesting.

Thank you for all your suggestion.

San Shaoye De Jian and Fei Hu Wai Juan, huh? I have never read either one. But are you sure they are abandoned? I checked, and San Shaoye De Jian's last update was only a year and a half ago. Fei Hu Wai Juan was not even a year. With White Haired Demoness, the last update was about five years ago, and someone (can't remember who) said that Faerie Queene definitely won't continue. Besides, I know that online texts are not accurate. I will have to see if I can find the book from the library as my reference.

Actually, as I said, I have never read Deer and Cauldron, hence I want to start reading it. Feiwu, the length of the story has never be my main consideration in choosing a story to translate, as long as it is interesting. I was thinking of translating it at the same time. But if you think that's not a good idea, then probably I won't. Anyway, I promise to watch 'Third Master' and 'Other Tales', but those will have to wait. I want to finish Deer and Cauldron first (Seven Swords is definitely high on my list).

I'll be happy to read whatever you decide to translate. I was impressed by the job you did with HSDS, so I look forward to hearing about Wei Xiaobao and his exploits.

Thank you foxs!

Wow! We get Fei Hong Jin already! I like her already, so cute and lively. She's very different from the mini excerpt from 7 swords. I wonder how her and YLC will meet.

I hope Hachuan survives, I quite like bold characters like him. (even if they are easily decieved.) Wow Foxs, you were behind HSDS? Impressive =D

Default Chapter 30 – Part 2

Quote Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
    Looks like the main characters for seven swords are slowly being introduced. We already saw Yang Yun Cong, Chu Zhao Nan, and now we have Fei Hong Jin. Interesting.
    Let's not forget Xin Longzi.

Feiwu, after what you (all of you) said the other day, when I said 'I want to finish Deer and Cauldron first', I was thinking of only reading it. We'll see ... I still need to finish this story. But should I decide to translate, I have obtained HuntingX's permission to continue his work.

Fighting_Wind, looks like you did not wander around this forum much ... I only helped continuing where other people left off.

-------------------------------------------
    Zhuo Yihang had already anticipated against this attack, leaping two steps forward and reaching out, he caught the small fork in his palm, while shouted loudly, “Tiande Shangren wants to kill people to eliminate witness, this is the evidence!”

Tang Nu also shouted, “Arrest him first!”

In the following chaos, suddenly they heard the little girl was screaming; Tiande Shangren had caught Fei Hongjin in his arms and jumped onto the stage erected on the prairie. This raised platform was prepared for ceremonial sacrifice to the Heaven later when the meeting was over. He laughed maliciously and said, “Tang Nu, Balong, you have bribed Hachuan and those two Han men to frame me? Humph, I am not that easy to be dealt with! Your girl’s life is in my hands, I only need to exert some strength, and she is finished!” While saying that, he put his hand around Fei Hongjin’s neck.

“Shameless wicked monk, put her down!” Tang Nu shouted.

The rest of the chiefs were also angry, but Fei Hongjin was in his hands, how could they help? The old chief of Kazakh said, “Tiande, we can talk. Aren’t you ashamed of bullying a little girl like that?”

Tiande Shangren laughed and said, “That’s right, we can always talk; that’s reasonable. I don’t want to stay on your prairie anymore. Tang Nu, let me go back to Tibet; as soon as I am in Tibet, I will send your daughter back to you!” Tiande Shangren knew he was no match for this crowd; therefore, he wanted to take this opportunity to escape.

Tang Nu was furious; seeing Fei Hongjin on the stage was staring at him, he could not bear not to call out to her, “Hamaya, don’t be afraid. I promise to let him go!”

Fei Hongjin called out from the stage, “Who says I am afraid?”

Hearing Tang Nu’s promise, Tiande Shangren was delighted, his fingers relaxed. Actually, he was also afraid he would pinch too hard and kill the girl, and then he would not be able to escape. Who would have thought that as soon as his grip loosened, Fei Hongjin’s small hand struck the side of his body? The point stricken was exactly a vital acupoint. Tiande Shangren screamed loudly. Fei Hongjin struggled to free herself from his grip and dropped down from the stage. The blow was a vicious palm technique, fortunately Fei Hongjin’s power was lacking, otherwise he would have suffered broken ribs and shattered bones. Even so, Tiande Shangren was still bawling loudly. He tried to stand up, but he kept tumbling down again.

Fei Hongjin was surprisingly very quick and agile, with a sudden spin of her body, she waved her arm. Tiande Shangren suddenly felt a streak of silvery light flash in front of his eyes; hastily he brandished his Buddhist robe to ward off. Fei Hongjin successively launched two flying needles, but both were brushed away by him.

These events happened as fast as lightning or wild fire; the people underneath the stage were not clear how Fei Hongjin had struggled free. To say that Zhuo Yihang was shocked would be an understatement! Because the way Fei Hongjin made her move was Yu Luocha’s unique skill. The way Yu Luocha slapped and counterattacked with her palm, the way she snatched away the golden saddle, were precisely using this special technique! Plus the way she launched those two flying needles were similar to Yu Luocha’s unique secret projectiles throwing technique, the Nine-star Shaped Needles. Not even in his wildest dream would Zhuo Yihang think that this little girl of the prairie prince was indeed Yu Luocha’s direct disciple!

By this time Tang Nu, Balong, and the others were rushing forward. Zhuo Yihang let out a long whistle, his shadow flew up. He moved later, but arrived earlier; flitting over everyone’s head, he flew onto the stage.

After brushing away Fei Hongjin’s silver needles, Tiande Shangren stuck out his five fingers like a hook, and just about to claw down when Zhuo Yihang arrived and warded off his attack. Tiande Shangren staggered back a few steps. Fei Hongjin laughed and leaped down from the stage, back to her father’s embrace.

On the stage, Tiande Shangren’s countenance turned ash-grey; his eyes seemed to be spitting fire as he pulled out his sword to fight obstinately. Zhuo Yihang was even more unwilling to talk than he was, with a flickering sword he charged immediately.

Suddenly, there was a commotion under the stage. When Kadar Chief Meng Sasi saw that their conspiracy fell through and stood exposed, he took his delegation to leave the meeting arena. With a loud voice he announced, “I am not interested in the alliance anymore, hereafter you and I shall not be concerned over each other’s affairs!” Although everybody else hated what he had done, he was after all a respected Chief, so they felt it was inappropriate for them to stop him and let him leave.

Meanwhile Tiande Shangren and Zhuo Yihang were still fighting. Tiande Shangren went all out, boldly and fiercely assaulting the enemy. His special skill Celestial Dragon Sword Technique was indeed very swift and fierce, with its eighteen ways and one hundred sixty-two steps, which he cycled constantly to unleash its full potential. The sword created strong gust of winds, as swift as the wind and the rain. Seeing him staking everything he had, Zhuo Yihang did not dare to underestimate the opponent; unfolding the Wudang Sword Technique, he went on the defensive while calming himself down and met the attacks one by one in an unhurried manner.

Hachuan went over to his Chief. He presented a large bundle of documents with both hands and said, “Your Highness, this is the evidence I mentioned a moment ago.”

Being an experienced and careful man, Balong was hiding on the prairie and did not appear until Tiande Shangren arrived at the meeting. Then, taking Zhuo Yihang and Hachuan along, they broke into his tent. Tiande Shangren’s several disciples, whom he had left to guard the tent were not their match and they captured each and every one of them. Balong searched the tent, and found the correspondence between Tiande Shangren and Meng Sasi. He also found several documents proving that he had contact with the Manchurian envoy. Balong put all these documents into a bundle and handed it over to Hachuan, who, in turn, presented them to the Chief.

The Kazakh Chief angrily said, “I don’t need to look! I was swindled by that wolf, and now I am really ashamed toward you!”

Hachuan said, “I was also deceived by him. It was only after I read these letters that I realize the magnitude of their scheme.”

Taking Fei Hongjin along, Tang Nu walked over to the Kazakh Chief. “As the water recedes, the rocks appear,” he said with a laugh, “Now that the truth is revealed, we do not need to look at the evidence; let’s just watch the sword duel.”

The Kazakh Chief was so angry that he ground his teeth. He turned to Hachuan and said, “Aren’t you going to help that Han man?”

Hachuan laughed and said, “This Han man is a Sect Leader, he won’t like other people to help him in fight.” Hachuan was a pugilist himself, so he more or less understood the customs of the Han people’s Wulin world.

The Kazakh Chief saw how fierce Tiande Shangren was, the sword in his hand flashing, it seemed to be confining Zhuo Yihang’s sword in the middle. He could not help but feel anxious. “Tiande’s martial art is unusually formidable,” he said, “Can this Han man be his match?”

“A few days ago,” Hachuan said, “I would say that his martial art skill is without rival in the world.”

“What?” the Kazakh Chief was astonished, “Are there people stronger than him?” It should be understood that only because Tiande Shangren had demonstrated his superb martial art skill in front of him, the Kazakh Chief finally invited him to serve as the Master Protector. Moreover, for the last several years, indeed nobody had been able to match Tiande Shangren; therefore, the Kazakh Chief’s opinion of his martial art skill had reached the superstitious degree.

“This Han man is a lot stronger than he is,” Hachuan said.

The Kazakh Chief was only half-convinced, thereupon while watching the sword duel on the stage, Hachuan narrated how on the Muztagata Peak, with one against three, Zhuo Yihang was still able to defeat them.

By the time he finished speaking, the battle situation underwent a big change. Actually, Zhuo Yihang's swordsmanship was more formidable than Tiande Shangren's; it was because he was unwilling to stake everything he had that at first he only concentrated on defense and not on offense. By this time Tiande Shangren had already launched the entire set of 162 stances of Celestial Dragon Sword Technique, yet he did not gain the least bit of advantage; his spirit was dampened, his mind anxious, his sword-play gradually became chaotic.

Zhuo Yihang let out a loud shout, his sword movements changed abruptly; like a sudden clap of thunder or a jolt of lightning, he counterattacked several stances in succession. The people under the stage were watching with blurred vision and shaken hearts. In the middle of the fierce battle, suddenly Tiande Shangren pounced with all his might, his sword suddenly appeared in front of Zhuo Yihang's face!

Thanks foxs. But you're leaving us hanging again. Hope ZYH can win this fight w/o YLC's help. Fei Hong Jin is already pretty formidable for a little girl. She's very similar to YLC. I like her!

I just hope that ZYH won't dissapoint me again to show his martial art abilities. Just wandering why the author wan to praise him high up in the sky and out of sudden will diss him right back to the earth, this just happen way too often whenever ZYH in action.

Thanks Foxs for the excellent translations!

I've read John Minford's translations of the deer and the cauldron. These are much more literary and realistic than Jin Yong's condor trilogy. It deals more with the common people being squeezed between the Emperor and the Ming and is very much satirical. It's a great read: the historical backdrop and events are interesting, and the plot has many twists. But if you're looking for the kind of camaraderie found in Jin Yong's condor hero trilogy and the simple absolute good vs evil theme, you won't find them so much here.

Milt

P.S. If you have a paypal account, I'd be happy to contribute towards your $700 books! Thanks for all your great translations!

Default Chapter 30 – Part 3

Thanks for the offer, but I don't think it is appropriate. I really appreciate your gesture though. So you think it is not worth my effort?
    ---------------------------------------------

"Aya!" the Kazakh Chief exclaimed, thinking that in desperation Tiande Shangren staked everything in this last attack, the Han man would be hard-pressed to evade this malicious move. Hachuan was also shocked, but suddenly they heard Zhuo Yihang shout, "Got you!"

Nobody could see clearly what had happened, but they saw Tiande Shangren's huge body kicked down the stage, with a sword hole in the pit of his stomach; blood gushing out from this wound, it was obvious that he would not live.

What happened was that while Tiande Shangren was desperate, Zhuo Yihang deliberately feigned an opening in his line of defense, enticing Tiande Shangren to thrust his sword into this opening, and then abruptly Zhuo Yihang launched a killer move, rendering Tiande Shangren incapable to retract the sword to defend himself. It was precisely the 'life-snatching' part of the Wudang's 72-Style Sequential Sword Technique.

The Kazakh Chief was greatly impressed, he acclaimed repeatedly, "Today my horizon is greatly broadened. This is indeed the matchless swordsmanship under the heavens."

Tang Nu only smiled, he laughed inwardly at the narrowness of the Kazakh Chief's outlook; he mused, "If he could see Hamaya's Shifu, he would prostrate himself in adoration."

With Tiande Shangren dead and Meng Sasi left, the treaty meeting proceeded smoothly and the result was obtained fairly quickly. The various tribes agreed to form an alliance. Luobu's Chief Tang Nu received the most support and was pushed ahead to be the alliance leader of the Beijiang[1]'s tribes.

At the end of the ceremony, all the attendants, the various clansmen, cheered, their voices shook the sky. The ceremony was followed by an all night long party. The Kazakh Chief expressed his gratitude again to Zhuo Yihang, he wanted to persuade Zhuo Yihang to stay and train the warriors under his command. Zhuo Yihang tactfully declined, and went alone to look for Tang Nu.

Tang Nu and his daughter were watching the horse race. "Prince," Zhuo Yihang said, "I have something I'd like to ask you, can I?"

"I was about to look for you to express my gratitude again," Tang Nu replied, "Within these three days you have repeatedly saved our, father and daughter's, lives; we don't know how we are going to repay it!"

Fei Hongjin also liked Zhuo Yihang very much. "Shushu[2]," she said with a smile, "You really are a good man; if not because of you, I would have been grabbed by that evil monk. My Shifu says that there are very few good men; she told me that when I grow up, I ought not pay attention to those stinky men, but I think you are a very good man."

Zhuo Yihang could only force a smile. Taking his daughter along, Tang Nu led Zhuo Yihang away from the noisy crowd, taking a stroll on the prairie. It was a midsummer night, the star-studded sky was exceptionally bright, it sparkled as if it was a blue velvet screen inlaid with beads of gems. Zhuo Yihang gazed at the stars, entranced as if he was dreaming.

Tang Nu felt strange, he asked, "Mr. Zhuo, what is it that you wanted to say?"

"Forgive me for being bold," Zhuo Yihang said, "May I ask who teaches Young Princess martial art?"

Fei Hongjin rolled her mischievous eyes, she laughed and said, "Shifu forbids me to tell anybody."

Tang Nu laughed, "Mr. Zhuo is not a stranger," he said, "There is no harm in telling him."

"Then Father should tell him," Fei Hongjin said, "Then even if Shifu finds out, she cannot blame me."

Tang Nu laughed, "You are indeed a good disciple of your Shifu." Then to Zhuo Yihang he said, "Mr. Zhuo, let me tell you a story first. About a dozen years ago, I went to Beijing to offer tribute to the Imperial Court. That time the Emperor was still very young, he treated me very well. When I returned, he bestowed quite a bit of gifts to me. I would never have thought that because of those treasures, I nearly lost my life in a foreign land."

"What happened?" Zhuo Yihang asked, "Didn't the Imperial Court send escorts?"

"Let's not talk about them!" Tang Nu said, "Unexpectedly those escorts conspired with rebel army against the Imperial Court, they wanted to rob me. Luckily it was not time for me to die yet, in the most critical time, there was a heroine who suddenly arrived and saved me."

Although Zhuo Yihang had never heard Yu Luocha tell this story, by this time he had already deduced that it must be her; he could not refrain from blurting out, "It was Yu Luocha!"

Tang Nu was startled. "What Yu Luocha?" he said, "She was called Lian Nichang. After she arrived at our prairie, some people call her White Haired Demoness."

Fei Hongjin interrupted, "Although my Shifu's hair is completely white, her face is very pretty. If I can grow up to be as beautiful as she is, I will be very happy."

Zhuo Yihang's heart was stirred, inwardly he felt very strange. He heard Tang Nu continue, "Hence she is my first savior. At that time I said to her: if someday you visit the area north and south of Tianshan, you must come visit me. It was only a pleasantry on my part, I did not expect that several years ago she did indeed come here. She has not forgotten me, so one day she really come to visit me. She was always delighted to see Hamaya. Perhaps they were destined to be together. At first she only stayed for a day or two before she left again, but after seeing Hamaya, she has actually settled down."

"Does that mean she lives at your place now?" Zhuo Yihang anxiously asked.

"Not too fast, let me tell you the rest of the story," Tang Nu replied, "She said she has a friend who lives on the northern peak. This friend of her has accepted a very good disciple, therefore, she also wanted to take a good disciple to achieve success on her behalf."

Zhuo Yihang was laughing inwardly, he mused, "Lian Jiejie is always very competitive, she is always unwilling to let Yue Mingke outdo her. Even in taking disciples she still wants to compete." He thought further, "The later waves of Changjiang River[3] always push the former waves; these younger generations are all talented people with beautiful characters, loved by others. Yue Mingke has Yang Yuncong, Lian Jiejie has Fei Hongjin; my Xin Longzi must not lose to them."

Tang Nu continued, "Thereupon she took Hamaya as her disciple. This is exactly what I have always been looking for. Hamaya has been training with her for more than two years. Mr. Zhuo, do you think she will accomplish much?"

"Little Princess' martial art skill is superb!" Zhuo Yihang said. Burning with impatience, he asked, "So now she lives with you over there?"

Tang Nu said, "Her character is very strange, each time she only visits for from ten days to half a month to teach Hamaya, and then she would leave immediately. In a year she only comes three to five times."

Fei Hongjin laughed and said, "Too bad you are a few days too late, otherwise you would be able to meet her. Compared to yours, her swordsmanship is not too bad. Once I have seen her jump onto a tree and stab a low-flying bird!"

Zhuo Yihang was not in the mood to chat with Fei Hongjin; he anxiously asked, "Um, too bad she had already left! I suppose you do not know where she is going?"

"I don't," Tang Nu said, "She has never told us where she is going. However, this time she did leave a bit of message."

"What message?" Zhuo Yihang asked.

"Just before she left," Tang Nu said, "She said that there will be a friend coming to see her. But she still does not want to see that friend. She told me that if someone is anxiously inquiring about her, she asked me to tell that person not to worry and to wait a while longer, she might go to look for him."

"Really?" Zhuo Yihang asked happily.

Fei Hongjin puckered her lips and said, "My father has never told a lie!"

Tang Nu laughed and said, "Mr. Zhuo, apparently you are the friend who is coming to see her, aren't you?"

Zhuo Yihang nodded. "That's right," he said. Looking up to the sky, he saw cloudless sky for thousands of li, the vast expanse of sky was clear blue. At this moment, Zhuo Yihang's mood was as clear as the sky; he had never felt happiness like this for a long time.

"Shushu," Fei Hongjin suddenly said, "Do you also like to look at the stars?"

"I do," Zhuo Yihang said, "I like to look at the shining stars. They are actually very far, but they look so close." After saying that, he laughed inwardly, musing, "How can a child understand these words?"

Fei Hongjin suddenly pointed to a bright star on the horizon and said, "My Shifu also likes to look at the stars. Shifu said that she is like that North Star; only when there is no dark cloud in sight the North Star will brightly shine."

Zhuo Yihang had a sudden inspiration. He looked up at the sky again, but the night was almost gone, the lights of the stars gradually weakened.

[2] Reminder: North of Xinjiang.

[3] Paternal younger uncle.

[4] Yangtze River.

Thank you foxs for the translation!!! You are right, I don't tend to browse the forums much. I pretty much created this account (I think) to read this story.

Just hearing about YLC makes me so happy. Her martial arts must have improved greatly, to the point little HongJin is formidable against the monk XD Man, Hachuan laughing inwardly about how YLC can kick their *** is awesome. FeiHongJin should pay more attention to YLC's words =(

I still can't believe she still wants to see ZYH though, after all he's done. YLC is not the North star before, prior to her hair turning white she was like a radiant, vivacious light. She stood out amidst the crowd and did whatever she wanted like a tempest. To see her so reclusive is so tragic...
    LYS imagery about the sky as velvet laiden with beads is quite beautiful. However, that last line sounds a bit foreboding.

Quote Originally Posted by foxs View Post
    Thanks for the offer, but I don't think it is appropriate. I really appreciate your gesture though. So you think it is not worth my effort?
    Last edited by Fighting_Wind; 04-27-10 at 09:20 AM.

Thanks for the update foxs.

ZYH didn't disappoint. He's finally able to hold his own and won a battle! Yeah!

If YLC wants to see ZYH, she should just come out and see him already. I'm getting a little annoyed at this hide & seek game. Just meet and get everything out in the open and move on.