Page 8 of 32 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Legend of the White Haired Maiden

Thank you so much Faerie Queene, your translation is marvellous and your love to the source material indeed shines through and gives extra pleasure to the reader.

On to the chapter:

I never liked that White Stone character from the start and he is getting worse and worse. Exactly a character I do not like to have contact with - and isn't it sad that the world we live in is filled with this sort of opportunists?

Ok shoot me but I wish Yue Ming Ke and You Luo Cha to have a romance - I can not warm to Zhou Yi Hang.. I want to but he seems no match to our YLC. He is nice but comes across as rather weak and undecisive. A stronger man with a better sense of purpose would suit better to this woman who not only has a strong character but also pride and capability.
    Too bad that this is not going to happen

Thanks FAQ for the translation! I almost feel guilty for reading your latest installment in some 20 odd minutes given the hours you must've spent translating it.

It was a very exciting chapter indeed.

Are you back from your hiatus?

Quote Originally Posted by eliza bennet
    Ok shoot me but I wish Yue Ming Ke and You Luo Cha to have a romance - I can not warm to Zhou Yi Hang.. I want to but he seems no match to our YLC. He is nice but comes across as rather weak and undecisive. A stronger man with a better sense of purpose would suit better to this woman who not only has a strong character but also pride and capability.
    Too bad that this is not going to happen
    I'm with you on this one. Yue Ming Ke seems to have the intelligence and drive to match Yu Luo Cha. Zhuo Yi Hang just seems passive, and not particularly "with it".
    HK47: Now do you understand the travails of my existence master? Surely it does not compare to your existence but still...
    You: I survive somehow
    HK47: As do I. It is our lot in life I suppose master. Shall we find something to kill to cheer ourselves up?

-KotOR

totally agree with u don't know why Zhou yi hang is the hero i prefer Yue ming ke

Default Wei Zhong Xian and the Ming dynasty

Hi FaQ,

Sorry for the late late reply on this topic.

Just some short notes on Wei Zhong Xian.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

Following the Red Pill incident, the next Ming dynasty fell into the rule of Emperor Tien-chi, who was a weak emperor, more interested in sex, gambling, wood-carpentering, and arts. He left much of his administration into the hand of his wet nurse and also his chief eunuch Wei Zhong Xian.

Wei Zhong Xian was forced to castrate himself as an adult in order to pay for heavy losses due to gambling; coming from an undistinguished background, he managed to get himself in the protection of several chief eunuch during the reign of Emperor Wan-li.

Due to his excellent cooking skills, he was able to get special favour of the mother of the future Emperor Tien-chi. Further, he became a lover of Tien-chi's comely wet nurse, Mistress Ko after both of them got together to get rid of Mistress Ko's former lover. (It was rumored that Wei's severed part have been partially redeveloped, and that his sex drive was perhaps due to him consuming seven human brains)

Soon after the start of the reign of Emperor Tien-chi, Wei Zhong Xian managed to become the chief eunuch. After becoming chief eunuch, he murdered all of those who's does not join his faction. In short time, he gained enormous power, earning the nickname "nine thousand lives", and personal retinue numbering 10,000.

Despite repeated attempts by mandarins and scholars to oust him, particularly through the famous "Twenty-four Great Crimes of Eunuch Wei Zhong Xian" petition, he was able, with the help of the wet nurse to influence the emperor to reject all these accusations, and punish his adversaries through tortures in the eunuch prisons of the eastern depot.

With these powers, all in the kingdom feared him and the officials have to divert state revenue to fund "projects" for Wei Zhong Xian. He was able to self-style himself a duke, with equal rank to imperial princes, and to issue all official proclamation under the name of the emperor and himself.

His reign of power, infamy and corruption only ended after the sudden death of Emperor Tien-chi. The next Ming emperor, Emperor Chung-chen exiled him before he commited suicide to avoid further punishment.

Default The Red Pills- Historical Perspective

Hung Pills (Red Pills)

The way of the Hung consisted of a secret formula for producing Hung pills, which were also known by a more euphemistic name (Hsien Tien Tan Chion). The menstrual discharges of beautiful maidens, thirteen or fourteen years old, were gathered in gold and silver vessels and transferred to a mortar, where wu mei shuei, a compote of smoked half-ripe plums, were added. In such cases, maidens with coarse hair or throaty masculine voices or those who had been sick were carefully avoided. The strange concoction was then dried seven times and finally heated after adding powdered milk, cinnabar, imported pine resin, and dried and powdered human waste. The hung pills thus produced were considered a powerful restorative pill capable of curing 5 kinds of fatigue, 7 kinds of wounds, and general debility.
    Restorative and aphrodisiacs of this nature became extremely popular in the last half of the Ming dynastry, which as marked by unprecedented cultural developments. The secrets of the Hung pills was given by Taoist Wen Chung to Tan Lun, the War minister and to Chang Chu Cheng, the powerful premier of the time. Overuse of the pills was reported to be responsible for their deaths.
    In the thirty-first year of Chia Cheng, Emperor Shih Tsu by imperial edict, had 300 maidens between the ages of eight and fourteen brought into the palace from Beijing and adjacent areas, and another 106 the following year, solely for the purpose of producing the Hung pills.
    The emperor’s addiction to Hung pills had ill and far reaching consequences. His successor, Emperor Mu Tsung became a regular user as well due to advice from his eunuchs, and let his genius run to waste. Emperor Tai Chang in whom the people placed great hope, died the same night he took these pills during an illness. Later this incident, referred to as the “Hung Pills Incident”, became a major political incident.

- From Taisuke Mitamura, (1970) Chinese Eunuchs: The Structure of Intimate Politics, pp 121-122.

Senior Member Du Gu seeking a win's Avatar

*bump, bump

Alright, here's the second half posted by FQ at the old wuxia forum on April 22, 2005

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm sorry everyone. I know it's been too long since I've said Hi. I really will try to stop by more often ... just not today.

Hope everyone's well and enjoying good weather!

Enjoy ...

WHD Chapter 13, Part 2

While Zhuo Yi Hang was releasing a breath of relief, Taoist Priest White Stone was heaving and huffing with unquenchable indignation as he stormed towards the main hall to express his farewells. Learning that White Stone was one of the Wu Tang five elders filled Xiong Ting Bi with such reverent respect that he personally saw him to the foot of the steps.

After White Stone departed, all the other Wu Tang disciples naturally followed after him and then it was Liu Xi Ming and his crowd of martial art masters who came forward to take leave. Xiong Ting Bi said, ¡°I have long heard of Beijing¡¯s Patriot Liu¡¯s great name. It is truly my honour to chance upon such an encounter today, will you not stay a bit longer?¡± Liu Xi Ming cautioned, ¡°Today¡¯s bandits clearly did not come for money. You must take care to be on your guard Grand Master.¡± Xiong Ting Bi replied, ¡°I have been in hundreds of battles throughout my lifetime and came close to losing my life in dozens of them. One¡¯s life and death is determined by fate, I can only accept my destiny as it comes.¡± Liu Xi Ming continued, ¡°My family has been teaching martial arts in the capital for many generations. When it comes to the number of disciples and old acquaintances, we can boast to be deficient in neither. We¡¯re willing to do our part by assisting Grand Master to the best of our miniscule abilities in order to prevent these villains from triumphing! However, to gather help requires time and so I must hasten away immediately.¡± Overjoyed, Yue Ming Ke immediately came forward to express his gratitude with a low bow.

After Liu Xi Ming left, Yue Ming Ke explained, ¡°That man is extremely well connected amongst the fighters of the capital. He has friends and acquaintances within both the black and white clans! Now that we have his secret support, we can at least rest a little more easily at night. With a sigh, Xiong Ting Bi lamented, ¡°They say that true honour and valour is often found within the butchering crowds of the street markets. (1) Having witnessed the conditions of our government today with my very own eyes really bleeds my heart of all hope.¡±

The crowd of officials immediately rushed forward to offer their consolation ¨C Yang Lian declared, ¡°In tomorrow¡¯s daily court, we¡¯ll first bring up the incident of emissary Cui Cheng Xiu¡¯s fraud then we will request the Supreme Commander of the Nine Gates to hand over the bandits.¡± Censor-in-Chief Zou Yuan Biao then suggested, ¡°Cui Cheng Xiu is Wei Zhong Xian¡¯s man, if we¡¯re going to be doing this, then let¡¯s take this to the top and use this incident to charge Wei Zhong Xian himself!¡± provoking the group of officials into a frenzied discussion of stratagems that could be used in impeaching Wei Zhong Xian. The Minister of Rites Sun Shen Xing said, ¡°Why don¡¯t we gather together all the righteous high officials of the government and then sign all our names on a memorial presented to the throne and beseech the Divine Lord to investigate closely into this matter?¡± The Minister of Personnel Zhou Jia Mo seconded, ¡°Right! By joining all our names on a memorial, we¡¯re generating a great force through the power of numbers ¨C this way the villainous clans wouldn¡¯t dare to take us lightly!¡± After ending the discussion, the crowd of officials disbanded in order to carry out their assigned tasks.

After all the officials have dispersed, preoccupied with his own matters, Yue Ming Ke was clearly observed to be ill at ease. Xiong Ting Bi said, ¡°Luckily you were here today to take action by breaking out of the enclosure just in the knick of time and invite over so many skilled fighters.¡± Wang Can was ready to bow down with respect as he asked, ¡°Brother Yue, how is it that you have such godly powers to bring forth so many expertly fighters in such a short span of time?¡± Yue Ming Ke therefore proceeded to explain all the incidents that led up to today¡¯s events, also mentioning tonight¡¯s arranged meeting that Tie Fei Long had made with him. Xiong Ting Bi said, ¡°Since that is the case, you mustn¡¯t miss your engagement¡± while Yue Ming Ke insisted, ¡°But I don¡¯t want to leave your side Grand Master! Besides, I didn¡¯t even agree to meet with him.¡± But Xiong Ting Bi asked, ¡°Then did you refuse him?¡± Yue Ming Ke answered, ¡°He was already out of the front doors before I could even find the chance to refuse him!¡± to which Xiong Ting Bi stated, ¡°Since that is the case, then you should go meet him as arranged. I feel no fear even when standing in front of an army of millions, why would I fear these small-time crooks? Besides, we still have Patriot Liu secretly lending us support. You should go. Although that old man may look like a wild rebel, yet I feel that he is really an impassioned spirit, one of whom you should make acquaintances with.¡±

After dinner, Yue Ming Ke announced his departure to Xiong Ting Bi and then left Wang Can with a number of instructions and reminders before finally exiting the front doors. Sure enough, Liu Xi Ming¡¯s men were seen interspersed throughout the whole area surrounding Yang Lian¡¯s mansion, secretly guarding over the place, thus allowing Yue to feel slightly more at ease as he charged straight towards the direction of the outskirts.

The Temple of Divine Light was located all the way on top of the Western Hills. By the time Yue Ming Ke climbed to the top, the moon had already gravitated to the center of the skies as the time fast approached the third hour of the night. Yue Ming Ke thought to himself: This Tie Fei Long really is a strange a man, living in an area so far removed from the capital and yet requesting others to come meet him in the middle of night. I wonder what urgent matter this can concern? While he was lost in this thought, a series of giggles suddenly broke out from the edges of the forest and before the chimes of laughter could even cease ringing, a person¡¯s shadow already danced before his eyes. Wearing a yellow top and white skirt, Yu Luo Cha emerged with steps graced with ethereal lightness.

Startled, Yue Ming Ke asked, ¡°Where¡¯s Elder Tie?¡± A solemn expression suddenly came over Yu Luo Cha¡¯s face as she stated, ¡°Since you are the honoured guest of my father today, let¡¯s put the measly clashes we¡¯ve had in the past behind us.¡± causing Yue Ming Ke to muse to himself, ¡°Who¡¯s trying to clash with you? That day on the peak of Mountain Hua it was you who wanted to compete sword skills with me for no good reason, what fault is that of mine? But he has already tasted a few instances of Yu Luo Cha¡¯s strange temper and not desirous to argue with her, he asked instead, ¡°Did Elder Tie ask you to come and receive me?¡±

Yu Luo Cha answered back, ¡°Not just to have me receive you, but to have me interrogate you!¡± Angered, Yue Ming Ke snapped, ¡°Stop joking around Heroine Lian¡± whilst Yu Luo Cha retorted, ¡°Who¡¯s joking with you? Let me ask you ¨C do you know that Tie Shan Hu is his daughter?¡± Yue Ming Ke replied, ¡°Yes.¡± Yu Luo Cha continued, ¡°Did you know that his daughter ran away in the heat of a dispute?¡± Yue Ming Ke replied, ¡°This, I did not know.¡± Yu Luo Cha then asked, ¡°You traveled with her all the way to the capital and then the two of you stayed at Yang Lian¡¯s household together, is that true?¡± Yue Ming Ke replied, ¡°Yes, but two days ago she was abducted away by bandits! I was just planning to come and beg for forgiveness!¡± causing Yu Luo Cha to break into a huge fit of giggles.

Once again taken back, Yue Ming Ke thought to himself: I can¡¯t believe you¡¯d find other people¡¯s misfortunes funny. After Yu Luo Cha had gotten over her laughing fit, she continued, ¡°Don¡¯t worry, not only is my father¡¯s not asking you to hand over his daughter, but he¡¯s actually going to give his daughter away to you!¡± A shock jolted through Yue Ming Ke¡¯s body as he asked with bewilderment, ¡°What do you mean by these words?¡± Yu Luo Cha replied, ¡°What do I mean? Are you playing dumb with me? I¡¯m going to be your matchmaker, now do you understand?¡± Yue Ming Ke exclaimed, ¡°What sort of crazy logic is behind this way of matchmaking?¡± A grave expression immediately came over Yu Luo Cha¡¯s face as she asked, ¡°You don¡¯t seem like the dishonourable sort of person, so why aren¡¯t you owning up to your responsibility?¡±

Both furious and frantic, Yue Ming Ke snapped, ¡°How am I dishonourable?¡± Yu Luo Cha retorted, ¡°You and her, a single guy and a single girl, traveling all the way to the capital by yourselves with Tie Shan Hu furthermore disguised as a man so as live with you in the Yang household. Can there really be not even a hint of a secret relationship that exists between the two of you?¡± Always straightforward, Yu Luo Cha had the tendency to blurt out the words in her heart and thus held no inhibitions in her speech.

Yue Ming Ke on the other hand was so embarrassed that his face bloated to the colour of a scarlet red that crept all the way to the tips of his ears as he loudly proclaimed, ¡°I, Yue Ming Ke am an honest and forthright man ¡­¡± the bottom half of his sentence, ¡°what would make you think that I would commit such immoral acts?¡± remained stuck in his throat as he couldn¡¯t bring himself to actually voice them out loud. But with a chuckle, Yu Luo Cha had already added, ¡°Men and women falling in love is a very common matter. If I liked someone, I would not be afraid to admit it to anybody. To sneak around like this is not the ways of the valiant hero.¡± Now frantic with anxiety, Yue Ming Ke stated with a sweep of his sleeves, ¡°Shan Hu and I treat each other merely like brother and sister. Heroine Lian, please do not misunderstand!¡±

With her eyebrows knitted together and her lips curled into what appeared to a smile but yet was equally resembling of a sneer, Yu Luo Cha said, ¡°There¡¯s no longer need to discuss about whether there is any secret relationship or not. I¡¯m only going to ask you one question: do you like her?¡± Yue Ming Ke replied, ¡°I¡¯ve already told you ¡­¡± causing Yu Luo Cha to snap, ¡°Give me a straightforward answer, I absolutely detest it when people beat around the bush! I just need a ¡®yes¡¯ or ¡®no¡¯ answer from you: do you like her?¡± Yue Ming Ke answered, ¡°Yes!¡± Yu Luo Cha then continued with firm solemnity, ¡°Then are you willing to marry her?¡± Yue Ming Ke exclaimed, ¡°Liking her is one thing, marriage is another! How can the two issues be mixed in with each other?!¡± Yu Luo Cha snapped, ¡°Quit the mumble jumble and just answer me: Are you willing to marry her?¡± Seeing how there was no way he could reason with Yu Luo Cha, Yue retorted with a snap of his sleeve, ¡°If there¡¯s nothing else, please tell Elder Tie that I stopped by¡± and then with a twist of his body, fled from the place!

With a piercing laugh, Yu Luo Cha leaped high into the air and rushed ahead of Yue in order to block his path of escape. Her treasured sword was already extracted from its sheath and grasped tightly within her hands. Yue Ming Ke growled, ¡°What is this?¡± as Yu Luo Cha hissed back, ¡°You can¡¯t go yet! Are you or are you not willing to take her as your wife?¡± With the seething fumes of anger rushing to his head, Yue Ming Ke snapped back, ¡°No I am not!¡±

A chilling sneer arose from Yu Luo Cha¡¯s lips as she snickered, ¡°Hmph! So it turns out that you were a worthless jerk after all!¡± and with a swipe of her sword, pierced directly towards Yue Ming Ke! Yue evaded that stance with a writhe and twist of his body, but once Yu Luo Cha strikes out, there was no stopping her and in just a blink of an eye she had already burst out with a series of deadly snares. Yu Luo Cha¡¯s bloodthirsty sword skill was pernicious beyond means, thus just any stance drawn out at will is meant to target her opponent¡¯s vital tendons and crucial pulse points!

Unable to hold his anger back any longer, having dodged a few times, Yue Ming Ke also whipped out his Gliding Dragon Sword with a loud swoosh! Yu Luo Cha snapped, ¡°If you have the guts, then go ahead and kill your own matchmaker!¡± as the fervour of her sword¡¯s intensity increased to a suffocating pace which stormed forth like the burning pellets of a raging tempest and the roaring twist of a ravenous cyclone. Having warded off a series of stances, Yue Ming Ke yelled back, ¡°There is not a single person under the heavens who is more unreasonable than you! What sort of irrational logic justifies forcing others into getting married?¡± But what Yue did not understand was that Yu Luo Cha¡¯s way of thinking differs greatly from his own. She felt that since Yue and Tie traveled over the millions of miles with each other and were furthermore living together in the same household, then if Tie Shan Hu was willing to marry him, naturally, Yue Ming Ke must marry her as well!

Having been pushed to his wits end by Yu Luo Cha, Yue Ming Ke has also torn out with rage as he executed the exquisite stances of the Tian Shan sword skill, forcing Yu Luo Cha to the point of where she no longer dared to advance with close proximity attacks. Yu Luo Cha cried out, ¡°Shan Hu meimei (2), this heartless man is completely without honour! He¡¯s not worthy to have as a husband, let me just kill him for you right now!¡± Freezing in his tracks, Yue Ming Ke¡¯s eyes darted all around him, diverting his attention ever so slightly but already providing enough of a lapse for Yu Luo Cha to take advantage of. With a sword to the left and a sword to right, one of these deathly blows that Yu Luo Cha dealt out tore straight towards the vital spot on Yue Ming Ke¡¯s throat!

Though he ducked the stance with a sink of his shoulders, Yue Ming Ke instantaneously felt the haunting chill of Yu Luo Cha¡¯s blade slice across the skin of his scalp, causing a cold sweat to break out all over his body. Absolutely furious now, Yue flipped his sword around and brushed aside Yu Luo Cha¡¯s blade with the stance ¡°¡°Raising Torch to Scorch the Heavens,¡± before lashing out vehemently, ¡°Regardless of whatever you do, I¡¯m still not going to marry her!¡± Yu Luo Cha called out once again, ¡°Shan Hu meimei!¡± but in the midst of his blinding rage, Yue Ming Ke no longer held any inhibitions over his brash words and screamed out, ¡°Even if you call her here it won¡¯t change a thing! I will not marry her no matter what!¡±

The moment these words left his mouth, an earth-shattering roar thundered out from somewhere within the forest as a dark shadow suddenly loomed across the skies. Yue Ming Ke dropped to the floor and rolled to one side just as this person was heard to shout, ¡°You little scoundrel dare to insult my daughter?! Taste the blow of my fists!¡± and along with the termination of these words, this person had arrived. Warding off a stance, Yue Ming Ke pleaded, ¡°Please forgive me Elder Tie ¡­¡± but Tie Fei Long¡¯s fist came charging towards Yue¡¯s face before Yue could even find the chance to finish his sentence

Tie Fei Long blasted, ¡°Since you are so unwilling to accept the marriage proposal Ni Shang offered you, then just leave it! But why did you have to continue ridiculing Shan Hu with such insults?!¡± By directing a stab of his sword towards Tie¡¯s left shoulder, Yue both attacked and defended simultaneously to block off Tie Fei Long¡¯s lethal moves while he stammered in panic, ¡°Elder Tie, please don¡¯t misunderstand¡­¡± But after evading the stance with just a writhe of his shoulder, Tie Fei Long¡¯s left and right punch immediately followed as they came hurtling forward.

Tie Fei Long snapped furiously, ¡°I heard everything myself! There¡¯s no use in giving me your cock-and-bull story!¡± and since Tie¡¯s internal Qi cultivation was more advanced, the forceful rampage of his fists rushed forth with an all-consuming vehemence. In comparison, Yue Ming Ke¡¯s heart was in an agitated state of bewilderment as he turned around to block Tie Fei Long¡¯s stance. By using the back of his fists to flicker out*wards slightly, Tie Fei Long deterred Yue Ming Ke¡¯s concentration towards the left and then directed all his weight into his right palm. Then by ploughing out with his palm, Tie¡¯s strike caused Yue Ming Ke to be shocked back more than ten feet! A searing pain spread through Yue¡¯s shoulder, a pain so excruciating that it felt as if his tendons and bones were threatening to rip apart from each other.

Yu Luo Cha came flying forward with her sword in hand and under the illumination of its green ray, the blade of her sword came ripping out from nowhere as she snickered with a chilling laugh, ¡°Still think you can get away now?¡± With a revolution of his treasured sword, Yue Ming Ke dismantled Yu Luo Cha¡¯s stance while flipping over backwards. But with a lift of his body, Tie Fei Long soared through the air like a giant vulture and dived towards the ground, clawing out with five fingers that were taut like sharp talons. Tie has sealed off Yue¡¯s escape path and now being trapped from behind as well as in front, Yue Ming Ke could only heave out a long sigh of aspiration as he throws his sword over to one side while screaming, ¡°Fine! Just kill me then!¡±

This stance was amongst one of the most deadly of Tie Fei Long¡¯s obliterating moves, but witnessing Yue Ming Ke suddenly tossing his sword over to one side took Tie by surprise. With a full twist of his palm, he literally froze in mid air and while caught in the midst of descending and not descending, a sharp shriek sounded from within the forest as a young girl came rushing out at soaring speed screaming, ¡°Don¡¯t papa! I have something to say!¡± Thunderstruck but simultaneously overjoyed, Yue Ming Ke managed to cry out, ¡°Shan Hu!¡± before all other words got stuck in his throat and left him unable to say any more.

(1) ¡°true honour and valour is often found only within the butchering crowds of the street markets¡±: The bottom half of this common phrase goes ¡°whereas betrayal and deception is often seen in the educated crowds of the literate.¡± Used within this context, Xiong Ting Bi was contrasting the double-crossing and degenerate nature of the educated (and thus infused by ¡°higher morals¡±) government officials who were turning the politics of the country upside down with their struggle for power. Meanwhile, it was the so-called ¡°coarse¡± Jianghu crowds or ¡°butchering¡± wild rebels who came forward to save the day and displayed patriotic valour in their time of need.

(2) ¡°meimei¡±: ¡°mei¡± directly translates as little/younger sister.
    Last edited by Temujin; 06-29-05 at 12:10 PM.
    - WuxiaSociety.org (formerly known as wuxiamania forum) -

----- the society of global wuxia fans ----

What happened was that when Tie Fei Long and Yu Luo Cha traveled all the way to the frontiers in order to retrieve their sword manual, they headed directly for Jin Du Yi¡¯s lair only to learn that Jin had already escaped to the capital. As a result, the two of them picked up their bags and kicked up the dust once again as they immediately pursued towards Beijing. Upon their arrival, they discovered by chance that Tie Shan Hu has disguised herself as a man and was staying at the Yang household with Yue Ming Ke. When Tie Fei Long kicked his daughter out of the house that day, he had acted in a fit of anger and had come to regret his action terribly afterwards. Yu Luo Cha understood his heart and therefore offered, ¡°Why don¡¯t you go over there and see them? I know that Yue kid. If you¡¯re interested, then I¡¯ll be your matchmaker!¡±

But at that time, Tie Fei Long and Yu Luo Cha had already discovered that Jin Du Yi was hiding within the Imperial Palace and Yu Luo Cha had already decided that they were to steal into the Palace that night in order to drag him out, therefore Tie Fei Long suggested, ¡°Then come with me to the Yang household first and then we¡¯ll storm into the Palace to fish out that old freak!¡± But to his surprise, Yu Luo Cha said, ¡°I don¡¯t want to see that Yue kid. Why don¡¯t we split up ¨C you go and visit your daughter while I go into the palace to fish out the old freak.¡± Tie Fei Long asked, ¡°Why? Is that kid not a good man?¡± Yu Luo Cha replied, ¡°Who said he wasn¡¯t? But me and him have this old strife, so unless he and Shan Hu meimei gets married, otherwise we won¡¯t be able to resolve our conflicts.¡± Both Tie Fei Long and Yu Luo Cha¡¯s characters were of a peculiar nature, therefore after this discussion, they actually did split up to carry out their separate missions. But it was also during that very night that they both had an extraordinary encounter.

That night just so happens to be the very night that Yue Ming Ke had chosen to steal into the Imperial Palace for the second time. Yu Luo Cha was prowling through the Palace at random when she happened to roam into Wei Zhong Xian¡¯s abode. At that time, Wei was in the midst of admiring Yue Ming Ke¡¯s Gliding Dragon Sword with his group of guardsmen. Yu Luo Cha did not recognize Wei Zhong Xian, but she did recognize the prized Gliding Dragon Sword and therefore with just a stretch of her hand, snatched away the sword. As a result of this, Yu Luo Cha caused a huge commotion to break out within the Imperial Palace but luckily for Yue Ming Ke, she ended up diverting the attention of the palace guards so that he was able to rescue Cheng Kun with relative ease. But at that time, Yue Ming Ke was not aware of this fact.

All the way across town, Tie Fei Long was just arriving at the Yang mansion in hopes of seeing his daughter when he caught the Eastern faction guards in the act of abducting away his child. Exploding with a wrathful rage, Tie Fei Long consecutively wiped out seven guards in one breath to ultimately rescue his daughter. And because of this incident, Tie Fei Long knew that the old freak Jin and his men will most definitely be returning to the Yang household later on. This was why Tie Fei Long and Yu Luo Cha happened to show up at the Yang household afterwards to coincidently solve Xiong Ting Bi¡¯s crisis by helping him break out of his enclosure.

After rescuing and then questioning his daughter in great detail, Tie Fei Long sensed through her words that she was quite in love with Yue Ming Ke. But because Tie was also under the same impression that his daughter was having a secret relationship with Yue, it only ended up instigating a huge misunderstanding. After discovering his daughter¡¯s feelings, Tie Fei Long discussed it over with Yu Luo Cha who then immediately volunteered her services as the great matchmaker.

While hiding on top of a giant tree within the forest, Tie Fei Long and his daughter listened in on Yu Luo Cha and Yue Ming Ke¡¯s conversation. But their interaction only got increasingly uglier, until they eventually drew out their swords and started to engage in a full fledged battle. Unable to suppress or control his anger any longer, with a sweep of his fists, Tie Fei Long joined the fight and escalated the conflict to an even more serious level.

From the shadows of the forest, Tie Shan Hu¡¯s heart was shattering into a thousand pieces as she listened to the conversation between Yue Ming Ke and Yu Luo Cha. Even though during the millions of miles that she had traveled together with Yue Ming Ke they had never once encroached upon the topic of ¡°Love,¡± yet the whole of her tender and affectionate heart has already been inextricably tied to Yue Ming Ke. Never in her dreams did she think that Yue Ming Ke would refuse to have her, which was why hearing these words now filled her with both indignation and shame. The complicated and conflicting emotions of love and hatred coursed through Tie Shan Hu¡¯s broken heart as they crashed and combined into each other, leaving her in a desperate need to break down even though she was numb beyond tears. Yet when she watched Yue Ming Ke being cornered by her father and Yu Luo Cha, teetering on the brink of life and death, she found that she could not stop herself from bursting out of the forest and running up to her father to tightly hold back his wrists.

And now, as we catch up to the present, we find Yue Ming Ke crying out ¡°Shan Hu meimei!¡± when Tie Shan Hu suddenly reappeared in front of his eyes shrieking, ¡°Papa! It¡¯s not his fault!¡± Turning to address Yue Ming Ke directly, Tie Shan Hu stated hoarsely, ¡°Yue daige (3), thank you for taking care of me during our travels. From now on, your bothersome and good-for-nothing little sister dares not to trouble you anymore. I am indebted to your care and yet have caused you to be angered ¨C with nothing to repay you and with no way of atoning for my errors, my honoured daige, please accept this bow from me!¡± And with a bend of her willowy waist, Tie Shan Hu thus bowed down.

Frozen on the spot with the realization that he had unintentionally broken the tender heart of such a pure and trusting young girl, Yue Ming Ke felt that he has truly committed an unforgivable sin. Uncontrollable shivers shook through Yue¡¯s whole body and left him unable to utter a single word, but not daring to extend his hands to help her up either, Yue could only stare blankly as he watched Tie Shan Hu kneel to the ground with a bow. When she got up again, her face had paled to an ashen white as two large tear drops glistened on her cheeks, inciting an extraordinary pain within Yue Ming Ke¡¯s heart. Yet just when he was about to say something, Tie Shan Hu was already heard to continue with a trembling voice, ¡°I dare not flatter myself anymore. From now on, you and I need not address each other as brothers and sisters, we ¡­ we shouldn¡¯t see each other anymore!¡± and with a twist of her body, flew back towards the temple.

Paralyzed for a very long time, Yue Ming Ke suddenly screamed out, ¡°It¡¯s all my fault!¡± and with a kick of his feet, started to chase after her. But standing by the side was Yu Luo Cha who was now green in the face with anger as she shouted, ¡°Are you done with your faking?¡± and with a swipe of her sword, pierced towards him. Tie Fei Long reached out with his right hand and bumped Yu Luo Cha¡¯s wrist over to one side as he growled, ¡°Yue Ming Ke, get out of my sight! Stay a moment longer and I won¡¯t let you off either!¡± Therefore after picking up his treasured sword, Yue Ming Ke descended the mountain in silence while the sounds of Yu Luo Cha¡¯s icy laughter seem to still ring in his ears as it danced about in the wind and reverberated throughout the mountain, impacting him like millions of flying arrows piercing deep within his heart!

Standing there in a senseless stupor, Tie Fei Long watched as the outline of Yue Ming Ke¡¯s back slowly disappeared into the night. Yu Luo Cha said, ¡°Father, why don¡¯t we head back now?¡± but Tie Fei Long made no reply. Yu Luo Cha urged, ¡°Shan Hu meimei must be unbelievably heartbroken right now, why don¡¯t we go back to console her?¡± Then with a toss of his bristly beard, Tie Fei Long boomed with indignant anger, ¡°What exactly is there that¡¯s not to like about my daughter? Why would that little rascal be so disrespectful?!¡± Yu Luo Cha reassured, ¡°He was simply not blessed with such good fortune. In the future, even if he comes back to us prostrating to the ground begging for forgiveness with every other step, we¡¯ll still ignore him!¡± Though Yu Luo Cha did not understand that it was her method of matchmaking which caused things to go awry, yet her words did bring Tie Fei Long relief as he burst into a chuckle.

Yu Luo Cha continued, ¡°Alright, we really should return to have a look at Shan Hu now, otherwise when she¡¯s broken down crying with nobody around to care for her, she¡¯ll only be all the more miserable!¡± Tie Fei Long retorted, ¡°Nonsense! If she cries then she would not be my daughter!¡± Tie Fei Long understood his daughter¡¯s temper very well and thus he knew that no matter how much she¡¯s been hurt, she still does not reveal her distress in front of other people, nor would she ever beg others for their sympathy. But though that may be the case, Tie Fei Long was still incredibly worried and thus by covering the distance of three steps with two, he hastened back to the temple.

The Temple of Divine Light was originally a deserted ancient temple, but because Tie Fei Long was momentarily using it as his abode, he cleaned up the place a little. Still, the floors were covered with a layer of dust which was why Tie Fei Long immediately noticed the series of disorderly footprints on the front steps the moment he entered through the temple¡¯s front doors. He hurriedly called out, ¡°ShanHu, ShanHu!¡± but the ancient temple only echoed back complete and utter silence.

Having also noticed the signs, Yu Luo Cha asked, ¡°What is it? Can some stranger be hiding inside the temple?¡± Tie Fei Long instructed, ¡°Go over to the top of the mountain and scour the whole area. If you discover anything, whistle as a signal.¡± Being an experienced veteran of the JiangHu world, Tie Fei Long told Yu Luo Cha to go outside and inspect the area as a way of protecting themselves against the attack of ambushed fighters. But at the same time, Tie was also taking into consideration that in the case of an ambushed attack, if Yu Luo Cha and him were separated into two spaces, they can at least be of assistance to each other and can avoid being captured together in one shot.

Tie Fei Long searched around the temple and after noticing what sounded to be the traces of someone snivelling come out from the direction of the West wing where Shan Hu¡¯s bedroom was, he thought to himself, ¡°Can that silly girl really be crying her eyes out?¡± He gently pushed open the doors to the room and called out, ¡°Shan Hu!¡± but what he was immediately greeted to was the sight of a woman sitting on the bed. With her hair loose and wildly scattered about her, she slowly murmured, ¡°Shan Hu has left already.¡±

(3) ¡°daige¡±: Meaning ¡°older brother¡± with ¡°dai¡± literally translated as ¡°big¡±/¡°older¡± and ¡°ge¡± as ¡°elder brother.¡±

Tie Fei Long widened his eyes and took a good look. Sitting on the bed was his formerly beloved concubine Mu Jiu Niang! Completely taken back by surprise, Tie Fei Long bellowed loudly, ¡°You dirty tramp! What are you doing here? You lured Shan Hu away didn¡¯t you?!¡± Then without saying a single word, Mu Jiu Niang opened up her palms to reveal three red pearls, crimson like the colour of blood.

A shock jolted through Tie Fei Long and caused all colour to drain from his face as he asked, ¡°You and that Demoness have joined up?¡± With a sad smile, Mu Jiu Niang murmured, ¡°Master, your temper hasn¡¯t changed one bit. You still like to throw insults at others every time you open your mouth.¡± With a slight falter, Tie Fei Long continued, ¡°Hmph! You¡¯re just trying to use that Demoness¡¯ power to seek revenge against me aren¡¯t you?¡± Because Miu Jiu Niang was kicked out of the Tie household due to her stealing Yu Luo Cha¡¯s sword manual, Tie Fei Long suspected that she was harbouring spite and had joined forces with others to seek revenge.

A strange expression came over Mu Jiu Niang¡¯s face as she suddenly sighed, ¡°Master, you¡¯ve aged a lot!¡± causing Tei Fei Long¡¯s heart to skip a beat as he snapped, ¡°Whether that Demoness did come with you or not, I¡¯m not going to concern myself with right now. But where is Shan Hu?!¡± Miu Jiu Niang answered, ¡°When I was coming here, I saw Shan Hu leave the temple from the rear of the mountain. At that time I thought that you had somehow gotten news and therefore sent Shan Hu off to search for help in the middle of the night. It was only after I had arrive here did I finally understand. Look over there at the table, aren¡¯t those the words left for you by Shan Hu?¡± Glancing over to the table, Tie Fei Long did indeed find a piece of paper with words written by wood cinders that read: ¡°I¡¯m going home first. Papa, you don¡¯t have to come after me.¡± Tie Fei Long understood his daughter¡¯s temper very well and figuring that she must have gone very far by now, knew that it was too late for him to go after her. When he looked back over to Mu Jiu Niang, he found that she remained as before with her palms still outstretched and the three blood red pearls within her palm emanating a haunting, crimson glow in the faint flicker of the oil lamp.

After seeing these three eerie pearls, even a person like Tie Fei Long who was fearless of the world couldn¡¯t help but feel a chill slither through his heart. Mu Jiu Niang said, ¡°Master, why don¡¯t you run while you still can?¡± Tie Fei Long lashed back with anger, ¡°During all the years that you¡¯ve been with me, when did you ever see me hide from my enemies?¡±

After a brief pause, Tie¡¯s face softened up a bit as he suddenly asked, ¡°So you came here tonight in order to give me a warning?¡± Mu Jiu Niang asked in return, ¡°Do you stick by the words you¡¯ve said in the past?¡± Tie Fei Long continued, ¡°I never go back on the words that come out of my mouth. I don¡¯t care who you associate yourself with.¡± Mu Jiu Niang replied, ¡°Thank you master.¡± With his eyes averted to the scenery outside the window, Tie Fei Long then added, ¡°I don¡¯t care who you end up with. Unless you want to come back yourself, otherwise I won¡¯t ask you to.¡± Being lonely in his elderly years, these words that Tie Fei Long said were actually a hint for Mu Jiu Niang to return to him. But with a flash of her smile, Mu Jiu Niang replied, ¡°I have followed Master you for over ten years and though I may have learned nothing, but in regards to the nature of Master¡¯s temper, I did manage to learn quite a things. Since I have already wronged, then I must follow this mistake to the very end.¡±

Tei Fei Long¡¯s face burned up as he retorted, ¡°Then why did you come here to give me warning?¡± Mu Jiu Niang replied, ¡°Because Master you were willing to release me so I no longer have to be a servant. I am indebted to your benevolence Master and do not wish to see you die a terrible death!¡± With eyebrows knitted together, Tie snapped, ¡°Rubbish! Did you really think that I¡¯m old and useless now?¡± Mu Jiu Niang continued, ¡°Master, how can I not be aware of the supremacy in your martial arts? But my mother-in-law has already succeeded in the martial skill of obliterating rocks to dust with the flesh of her palms! Not to mention, her palms have also been soaked in poison. Master, it is better for you to try and avert this encounter.¡±

Tie Fei Long¡¯s two eyes flared up as he hissed, ¡°What?! Your mother-in-law?¡± Mu Jiu Niang replied, ¡°That¡¯s right. I am now the daughter-in-law of Mother GongSun, the Red Flower Demon Matriarch.¡± Stunned, as if slapped in the face, Tei Fei Long then shouted, ¡°Fine! Then get the hell out of here!¡± Mu Jiu Niang added, ¡°She already knows you¡¯re here and will come to settle her scores with you tomorrow night. She has made up with old freak Jin.¡± Tie Fei Long muttered, ¡°Great, so you¡¯ve come here to join them in fighting against me too haven¡¯t you?¡± Mu Jiu Niang continued, ¡°I dare not act in opposition to you Master, and they don¡¯t need my help either. Besides, though my mother-in-law¡¯s temper may be fiery, but like you Master, she¡¯s not a particularly bad person. I don¡¯t want her to kill you, just like I don¡¯t want to see you kill her either. Master, it¡¯s better to avoid her while you still can!¡±

They were interrupted by a clean whistle that echoed from outside, after of which Tei Fei Long warned, ¡°Yu Luo Cha will be coming back very soon, you better hurry and get out of here!¡± Mu Jiu Niang nearly jumped out of her skin but still turned back around to perform a low bow as she called out, ¡°Master, please take care of yourself!¡± before she hurriedly dived out the window.

When Yu Luo Cha arrived back to the temple shortly afterwards, Tie Fei Long asked, ¡°Did you discover anything suspicious?¡± Yu Luo Cha replied, ¡°Nope, but over on the MiMo Cliff were glimmers of starry light, should I go check it out?¡± Tie Fei Long replied, ¡°There¡¯s no need, I already know about it.¡± A glance to the floor caused Yu Luo Cha to inquire, ¡°Who was just here? Where¡¯s Shan Hu meimei?¡± Tie Fei Long explained, ¡°Shan Hu has already left. It was Mu Jiu Niang who just came to see me.¡± Yu Luo Cha exclaimed, ¡°Mu Jiu Niang?!¡± Tie Fei Long replied, ¡°Yes. Have you ever heard of the name Red Flower Demon Matriarch, Mother GongSun?¡± Yu Luo Cha answered, ¡°Never heard of it. But that name is really weird. My street name is Luo Cha which I thought was already scary enough, but there¡¯s actually someone called Demon Matriarch?! This Luo Cha most definitely needs to have a showdown against this Demon Matriarch someday! (4) ¡±

Her words gave Tie Fei Long a good chortle, but he very quickly sobered up and said seriously, ¡°But this Demon Matriarch has earned her fame much earlier than you as a Luo Cha. She¡¯s been known to others as the Red Flower Demon Matriarch ever since forty years ago.¡± Yu Luo Cha asked, ¡°Exactly what is her background? I may be young, but I¡¯ve already encountered quite a number of skilled fighters from the martial arts world. Why is it that I¡¯ve never heard of the Red Flower Demon Matriarch?¡± Tie Fei Long stroked his beard in silence, but when he lifted his head, a sliver of anxious fear gleamed within his eyes, startling Yu Luo Cha to the point of exclaiming, ¡°Father, you¡¯re not afraid of this Demon Matriarch are you?!¡±

Tie Fei Long¡¯s eyebrows knitted together as he stated coolly, ¡°I¡¯m afraid of nobody, but this Red Flower Demon Matriarch is indeed a powerful enemy. Lian er, sit down and let me tell you a story.¡±

(4) The term used in the book for Red Flower Demon Matriarch was ¡°hong hua gui mu¡± (¡°hong¡± = red, ¡°hua¡± = flower, ¡°gui¡± = ghost, demon, ¡°mu¡± = mother) which is likely the same as ¡°gui zi mu¡± (where ¡°zi¡± = son), translated by Soothill and Hodous¡¯ online Buddhism dictionary as: ¡°H¨¡rit¨©, ÔXÀæµÛ intp. as pleased, or pleasing. A 'woman who having vowed to devour all the babies at R¨¡djagriha was reborn as a r¨¡kshas¨©, and gave birth to 500 children, one of which she was to devour every day. Converted by Ś¨¡kyamuni she entered a convent. Her image is to be seen in all nunneries'. Another account is that she is the mother of 500 demons, and that from being an evil goddess or spirit she was converted to become a protectress of Buddhism.¡±

A similar term ¡°gui zi shen mu¡± (¡°shen¡± = divine, godly, heavenly) is translated by Soothill and Hodous as ¡°A r¨¡kṣas¨© who devours men¡± but as you might recall, the term ¡°raksasi¡± is a Hindu term used to refer to a certain branch of Luo Chas (Á_ɲ) that devour men. Thus it seems that the Deva-mother of Demons is probably similar in nature to the Luo Chas.

Yu Luo Cha sat down on the edge of the bed and fixed her eyes on Tie Fei Long with anticipation. Taking a sip of strong tea, Tie Fei Long cleared his throat and then began, “You already know that the old freak Jin and I have shared equal recognition throughout the Northwest regions for the past few dozen years. But do you know who it was that taught old freak Jin his martial arts?” Yu Luo Cha replied, “The two of you are already in your sixties, how can I possibly know the history belonging to people of two generations past?” Tei Fei Long explained, “Old freak Jin’s martial arts were taught to him by his wife. His wife is this Red Flower Demon Matriarch, Mother GongSun.” Yu Luo Cha laughed, “The wife acting as the husband’s Sifu? How fresh!” while she simultaneously thought to herself that if she could ultimately get together with Zhuo Yi Hang, he would most likely need her to teach him a few moves as well. Then having thought of something else, she asked, “Usually when a woman marries, they use their husband’s surnames. So why is it that she’s not called Mother Jin, but Mother GongSun?”

Tei Fei Long replied, “That is where the story begins. Forty years ago, there was a bizarre man residing in the Northwest regions named GongSun Yi Yang. With martial arts reaching a level of profundity that could not be imagined, he further liked to breed and raise all sorts of poisonous living organisms. Therefore, everyone was afraid of him. Although he had many disciples, none of them were bestowed with the true legacy of his martial arts. My Sifu was his old friend and from what he told me, GongSun Yi Yang once explained to him that because his martial arts were so deadly, if it was transferred onto the wrong person, the harm that it could cause would be quite consequential. And that was why he only taught his disciples basic and easily mastered martial art skills and would never relate to them the true formulas of their sect. But what he did not anticipate was that later on a young man would come and join their sect, and that this young man would somehow manage to seduce his daughter so that the two of them would eventually end up stealing his martial arts manual! GongSun Yi Yang had only one daughter and to him, she was his most precious prize – just like how Shan Hu is to me. Therefore even though he was extremely angry when he found out, he still did not wish to pursue this matter and could only let his anger eat him up alive as it sent him prematurely to this grave!”

Yu Luo Cha said, “This youngster must be the later old freak Jin! So he’s a serial burglar?! No wonder he would first steal my Sifu’s sword manual and then want to go steal the Shaolin temple’s fist manual as well!” Tie Fei Long remarked, “They say that you can determine the character of an eighty year old person just by observing their behaviour at the age of three. When old freak Jin was just a youngster his nature was already of such a crooked disposition, so when he ages, he will of course only get worse. After he tricked his wife into stealing his father-in-law’s martial arts manual, they hid out in the Northern regions of the Heavenly Mountains and buried themselves in the study and practice of their martial arts. At that time, old freak Jin was only a junior member of their sect while his wife’s martial arts were already of an established level. That is why Jin’s martial arts could be said to have been taught to him by his wife. About a dozen years later, the spouses finally succeeded in their martial arts but Jin Du Yi only became increasingly unrestrained in his corruption. It eventually got to the point of where he ended up inciting the mass outrage of the martial arts world, and so thirteen skilled fighters of the Northwest region got together in order to abolish him. At that time, I was originally supposed to be included within the group as well, but because I had something else to attend to, I could not make it. The thirteen fighters had old freak Jin cornered with no way of escape, but to everyone’s surprise, during the most crucial moment, old freak Jin’s wife suddenly appeared to instigate a bloody battle and defeat all thirteen of the skilled fighters. Though Jin Du Yi was severely wounded, he was in the end rescued by his wife who whisked him away. Because Mother GongSun liked to decorate her hair with a red flower, after that battle, she received the title of the Red Flower Demon Matriarch.”

Yu Luo Cha remarked, “Red Flower Demon Matriarch’s martial arts may be powerful, but her ways of defending her corrupt husband is a vice that calls for pity.” Tei Fei Long said, “As terrifying as Red Flower Demon Matriarch’s name may sound, to be fair, her nature is not as debased as that of her husbands’. She has personally tried to convince her husband to change his ways many times, but her husband did not heed her words. That was why when old freak Jin was surrounded by the thirteen skilled fighters, she had purposely left him until the most crucial moment before she was willing to emerge and save him. All she wanted to do was teach him a lesson in hopes that he would heed this warning, recognize his wrongs and be inspired to change. But now that he had his wife as his backup, the old freak Jin only ended up resuming his dirty deeds the moment his wounds healed. So in a fit of anger, his wife left him! It has now been more than thirty years and nobody has heard of her whereabouts ever since.”

Yu Luo Cha took in a breath and said, “I see. Then this Red Flower Demonic Matriarch can’t be considered as a very bad person.” Tie Fei Long added, “After Red Flower Demonic Matriarch left her husband, she was no longer willing to use her husband’s surname as her own and therefore changed her title to Mother GongSun. During the first ten years of her retirement from the martial arts world, she was still rumoured to have been sighted a few times, but afterwards, was not known to resurface again. Many people have already assumed that she was dead. But contrary to common belief, not only is she still alive but she has returned to start trouble with me. And what was further unexpected was that she has a son and that he has actually taken Mu Jiu Niang as his wife. The story of life really is like a staged play, for it leaves one with nothing but sentimental reflections.”

What Tei Fei Long was not aware of was that when Mu Jiu Niang left him, she was hunted after by Jin Qian Yan who drove her all the way to HuBei’s XiangYang. They ended up coming across the Red Flower Demon Matriarch – Jin Qian Yan’s aunt and the person he was most terrified of. After she had given him a good beating, he went crawling away while ducking his head in fear. But through Jin Qian Yan’s words, Red Flower Demon Matriarch learnt of her husband’s latest news, thus stirring up the pangs of her past love. Learning that Jin was to steal back into the capital soon, she thus took off and headed for Beijing in anticipation of his arrival.

But within all this was another twist to the story. When Red Flower Demon Matriarch left her husband years ago, she was already pregnant. She ended up giving birth to a boy whom she named GongSun Lei, purposely refusing to have her son take on her husband’s surname. Ironically, this boy still ended up inheriting after his father, for he was a little terror even as a child and got himself into a lot of sticky messes. As a result, Red Flower Demon Matriarch had to lay down house rules that banned him of the right to leave the boundaries of the home for even a step before she was finally able to restrain his wild and unruly nature. Because her own son was such a delinquent terror, during her late years, Mother GongSun took in a female disciple. But this female disciple had quite the impressive background – she was the daughter of the present Emperor’s Wet Nurse. However, when Red Flower Demon Matriarch took Ke Ping Ting in as her disciple, Madam Ke has not yet established any position or privileges within the Imperial Palace.

Mu Jiu Niang was taken into hospitality by Mother GongSun and because GongSun Lei had been so strictly governed by his mother for such a long time, he has never laid eyes on such a beautiful woman before. It just so happens that Mu Jiu Niang was of a wanton and salacious nature herself, thus in less than three days the two of them have already found their ways into each other’s beds. Although Mother GongSun has already learnt that Mu Jiu Niang was Tie Fei Long’s beloved concubine and therefore was originally not a good match for her son, but when what’s done was done, she had no other choice but to let them unite in this illicit affair.

Shortly after GongSun Lei and Mu Jiu Niang’s marriage, the Emperor Shen Zhong passed away and Guang Zhong succeeded his throne. Madam Ke thus gained prominence within the Imperial Courts and as a result sent for her daughter to be reunited with her in the capital. Taking advantage of this opportunity, Mother GongSun also moved into the Imperial Palace. Not long afterwards, Guang Zhong passed away as well and You Jiao inherited the throne so that Madam Ke amassed even more power than before. By then, Mother GongSun has realized that Wei Zhong Xian was engaging in illicit affairs with Madam Ke and that they two of them were turning the Imperial Courts upside down, therefore she was desirous to leave the Palace immediately. But it was also during this time that Jin Du Yi finally arrived at the capital.

Mother GongSun met with Jin Du Yi in secret and then tried to persuade him to come home with her, but Jin just went on to lament about how Tie Fei Long and Yu Luo Cha were hunting him and how they’ve been chasing him relentlessly for millions of miles. Mother GongSun originally did not want to dirty her hands with this matter, but after Jin Du Yi had experienced bitter defeat in the battle at the Yang mansion, he immediately went crawling back to his wife with his severe injuries. Blubbering and wailing, Jin Du Yi insisted that unless she was willing to seek revenge for him, he refuses to return home. He also went off on how Tei Fei Long and Yu Luo Cha were renowned within the marital arts world for their vicious cruelty, therefore if they did not weed out the source of the problem by plucking it from the roots, they would never be able to have a good night’s rest.

In her moment of weakness Mother GongSun conceded, “This will be the last time that I’m going to help you out. That Tie Fei Long is a very tough opponent, so I can’t promise you that I will be able to beat him.” Jin Du Yi added, “As long as you’re willing to step out, I can send for some skilled fighters to come help you” causing Mother GongSun’s countenance to turn an ugly colour as she snapped, “I never win my opponents by outnumbering them! If you dare to ask for help from other skilled fighters, then I won’t go!” Jin Du Yi hurriedly sputtered out a handful of apologies and then promised his wife that he will listen to her words. But secretly, he was already concocting another plan in his head.

After Tie Fei Long had finished narrating the history and background of the Red Flower Demon Matriarch, he added with a sigh, “Red Flower Demon Matriarch’s character was originally not of a particularly bad nature, but if my fears do prove to be true and she does end up falling prey to her husband’s tricks, then I don’t know. All is well if she doesn’t strike out, but the moment she does strike out, the impact will only and can only be terrifyingly brutal, otherwise she wouldn’t have gotten this Mother of Demons title.” Having heard this, Yu Luo Cha suddenly burst out into a fit of laughter!

Staggered, Tie Fei Long asked, “Lian child, what are you laughing about?” Yu Luo Cha replied, “It’s the face off of the Luo Cha versus the Demon Matriarch! Let’s see exactly who comes out the winner and who will come out the loser! Father, I so wish I can just fight her right here right now!” Tie Fei Long asked, “Haven’t you already made a pact to fight Taoist Priest White Stone tomorrow? How can you fight again at night when you’ve already fought White Stone during the day?” Yu Luo Cha said, “Didn’t you say that they were residing at the MiMo Cliff right now to keep an eye on us? Tomorrow we’ll go over there to fight White Stone as well as Red Flower Demon Matriarch. That way, we can take care of the two matters at the same time! Wouldn’t that be so much more efficient? Father, ever since my battle with you, it’s been too long since I’ve been able to enjoy a good fight! Now my hands are itching like mad!”

Tie Fei Long knotted his eyebrows together and chided, “You crazy child, all you care about is fighting!” but though his mouth spoke scolding words, his heart was really filled with fond love for her. Yu Luo Cha quipped, “Father! Let me fight first tomorrow!” while Tie Fei Long stepped over to the window and gazed outside as he muttered, “It’s almost the fourth hour, we just might be able to make it still.” Yu Luo Cha asked, “Father, what are you talking about? Just hearing that there is an opponent who can give me a good fight is already enough to fill me with energy! Even if I was to go three days and three nights without sleep, I’d still be up to take on this battle!” Tie Fei Long snorted with laughter and said, “You are the exact image of me when I was young!” but then suddenly grew grave as he said seriously, “I was not afraid that you’d be tired, but I want you to go and gather some medication for me.” Yu Luo Cha exclaimed with confusion, “Gather medication?! What kind of medication? We haven’t even fought yet and already we’re preparing for our injuries?!”

Tie Fei Long sighed, “My child, you have no idea how powerful Red Flower Demon Matriarch is! Her poisonous palms are far more powerful than old freak Jin’s, not to mention she has also mastered the martial art skill of shattering boulders into dust with the flesh of her palms. If we don’t take extra precautions ahead of time, then it really won’t be easy to withstand against her.” Yu Luo Cha asked, “What kind of precautions?” Tie Fei Long explained, “Hurry and make a trip into the city for me. First go to the Enduring Peace Escort House and ask to borrow two sets of Bronze Heart Shields from the Head Escort Long Da San. Head Escort Long is my good friend, so if you bring him my handwritten letter he will most definitely give them to you. Then when light breaks, I want you to go and gather together some herbs.”

Tie Fei Long tears off two pieces of fabric from a white shirt and then found a piece of wood cinder to first write down the letter before continuing on to prescribe the herbal formula. What he wrote was: Frankincense (2 ½ grams with oil extracted), Myrrh (2 ½ grams with oil extracted), Figwort Flower (2 ½ grams), Ground Beetle (2 ½ grams, pan-fried with oil), Elephant Gall (5 grams) Safflower (2 ½ grams pan-friend with alcohol), Notoginseng root (2 ½ grams), Eaglewood Wood (2 ½ grams), Costus Root (2 ½ grams), Rosewood (2 ½ grams), Amber (12 ½ grams, boiled in water with green beans), Chinese Angelica Root (2 ½ grams, pan-fried in alcohol), Lumbricus (5 grams with dirt removed), Artemisia (10 grams, pan-fried in alcohol), Bear Gall (2 ½ grams), Musk Secretion (1500 milligrams), Ginseng (2000 milligrams), Plum Petals (2500 milligrams) …”

Yu Luo Cha cried out, “So many herbs! What if I can’t get them all?” Tie Fei Long explained, “Within this list of herbs, aside from one or two of them, the others are really quite common. If you have any trouble gathering all these herbs, ask Head Escort Long for his help, but I haven’t finished this list yet.” Then he added to the end of the list … Jiang Huo (5) (2 ½ grams), Du Huo (6) (2 ½ grams), Buddha’s Hand Citron (7) (5 grams), Cassia (2 ½ grams), Magnolia Bark (5 grams, pan-fried in alcohol), Velvet of Young Deer Antler (5 grams), Lotus Blossom Ointment (2000 milligrams).

With a fettered brow, Yu Luo Cha exclaimed, “Are we done yet?” Tie Fei Long replied, “The medicinal formula is completed, but you still have to buy two pieces of Realgar. Once you gather together all the herbal ingredients, take them back to the escort house and grind into small granules, then blend everything into honey to form pills. In tomorrow’s battle we definitely will be suffering some injuries, but this formula can help relieve our tendons, suppress pain, reduce bruising, ameliorate our wounds and increase our immune defences. So hurry and be on your way now!”

While Tie Fei Long’s side was taut with anxiety as they bustled about, Taoist Priest White Stone’s side was similarly overwrought as their hearts pounded in their chests and their stomachs turned summersaults. White Stone’s daughter He E-Hua was particularly uneasy when she learned that her father was to battle Yu Luo Cha, the Demoness of the martial arts world infamous for the fear that she strikes into the hearts of fighters. And though Taoist Priest White Stone forced himself to feign an appearance of calm collectedness, the truth was, his heart was also troubled by the pangs of fear.

Such is: Mere mention of name triggers fear to shock the Demoness, Powers of notorious fame echoes near and far to shake the martial arts world.

(5) “Jiang Huo”: Botanical/Chemical Latin name: Notopterygium incisum Ting ex H. T. Chang (http://www.yaoducn.com/cyzycjs/29.htm)
    (6) “Du Huo”: Botanical/Chemical Latin name: Angelica grosserrata, Max, pharmaceutical name: Rhizoma Et Radix Notopterygii
    (7) “Buddha’s Hand Citron”: Also commonly known as Buddha’s Finger Citron or Finger Citron

The Rant.

This was one packed chapter -- there's so much happening, I'm going to address only a few matters and can only return later to address others.

Let's start with the YLC v.s YMK strife.

I have to say, as much as I love YLC, even *I* had to admit that she really didn't handle this whole matchmaking thing very well -- and I certainly don't blame YMK for getting angry.

However, at the same time, I think the way this whole interchange is written says a lot about how one's prejudices can lead to misunderstandings which causes a lack of communication and ultimately affect our relationships with others.

Like I mentioned before, YLC & YMK were prejudiced against each other. YMK naturally assumed YLC as the "demoness" has no compassion and is "unreasonable" :

Yue Ming Ke replied, “Yes, but two days ago she was abducted away by bandits! I was just planning to come and beg for forgiveness!” causing Yu Luo Cha to break into a huge fit of giggles.

Once again taken back, Yue Ming Ke thought to himself: I can’t believe you’d find other people’s misfortunes funny.

Although I don't think it was unreasonable for YMK to have this assumption, yet I do think that he was too quick to jump to conclusions. Contrary to YLC being uncompassionate to others, she was actually a little too passionate about others, otherwise she wouldn't have gotten so worked up over TSH's misfortune.

Having warded off a series of stances, Yue Ming Ke yelled back, “There is not a single person under the heavens who is more unreasonable than you! What sort of irrational logic justifies forcing others into getting married?” But what Yue did not understand was that Yu Luo Cha’s way of thinking differs greatly from his own. She felt that since Yue and Tie traveled over the millions of miles with each other and were furthermore living together in the same household, then if Tie Shan Hu was willing to marry him, naturally, Yue Ming Ke must marry her as well!

Simiarly, I don't think that YLC should be termed as "unreasonable" -- but her way of reasoning is just a little different from the ordinary person. She is certainly impulsive and a lot of other things, but unreasonable is not a very fair criticism -- I think she is a fair judge of many things.

But YLC was being equally unfair to YMK. First off, she believes that he has a personal strife against her -- which I think is a little paranoid. YMK might be prejudiced against her, but he's not exactly the sort to hold a personal vendetta against her just because they had a few unpleasant moments (unlike the Wu Tang clan ... more about this later).

A solemn expression suddenly came over Yu Luo Cha’s face as she stated, “Since you are the honoured guest of my father today, let’s put the measly clashes we’ve had in the past behind us.” causing Yue Ming Ke to muse to himself, “Who’s trying to clash with you? That day on the peak of Mountain Hua it was you who wanted to compete sword skills with me for no good reason, what fault is that of mine?

[...........]

A chilling sneer arose from Yu Luo Cha’s lips as she snickered, “Hmph! So it turns out that you were a worthless jerk after all!”

(note: key word: "after all")

[..............]

Yu Luo Cha said, “I don’t want to see that Yue kid. Why don’t we split up – you go and visit your daughter while I go into the palace to fish out the old freak.” Tie Fei Long asked, “Why? Is that kid not a good man?” Yu Luo Cha replied, “Who said he wasn’t? But me and him have this old strife, so unless he and Shan Hu meimei gets married, otherwise we won’t be able to resolve our conflicts.”

This notion that YLC has about her and YMK having this past "strife" is indeed a little paranoid, but at the same time, I find it to be a very human reaction -- YLC knows that she's not "accepted" by the mainstream orthodox crowds who ostracizes her into the league of the demonic -- which was why YMK referring to her as Yu Luo Cha right from the start had such a negative effect on her. YLC probably felt like he was discriminating against her (which I think he was) and for YLC, someone who's had to fight her way in life, these feelings can accumulate over time to the point of where her toughness and defensiveness has almost become a coping mechanism -- otherwise, one can just let other people lower their own self-worth to the point of where they would only feel shame or even hatred for themselves -- and though I think YLC sometimes shows signs of these feelings having an effect on her, yet overall, her upbeat fighter's mentality keeps her relatively optimistic, secure and satisfied about herself and her life -- she knows who she is -- I can't seem to think of any other wuxia characters in a similar situation who can compare with her in this regards. We'll come back to this eventually, it's still too early on in the story to fully see this quality in her.

Still, despite whatever grudges YLC/YMK may have against each other and despite the full-fledge battlet that broke out, they still have enough class and honour to differentiate between what is good and bad, what is wrong and right. This is something that the Wu Tang clan can't compare with. But I'll get back to this point at next chapter's rant -- because this is getting verrrrrrrrry long. hehehe

Anyhow, bottom line, I actually found this whole fight between YMK & YLC quite funny and amusing.

Let's move onto Tie Shan Hu who is a major focus for this chapter.

I have to say that when I first read the novel, I had really only started to love TSH's character after this chapter. It must not be easy to handle such point-blank rejection by the guy you're in love with, but her way of handling was not only human, but also surprisingly respectful and classy -- and that's how Liang Yu Sheng's girls tend to be.

Despite the humaness to her prideful stubborness and her bitter, self-defeating words, she has enough dignity and self-respect to never externalize it out*wards into something which can hurt others. Compare this to people like DGSD's Madam Ma, HSDS's Zhou Zi Rou, ROCH's Li Mou Chou and Guo Fu. In the face of rejection, these girls turned to hatred and revenge, externalized onto others to induce harm, all for that bit of consolation that comes with the satisfaction of revenge.

Girls like TSH & YLC never did anything remotely close to this, their reactions are human and understandable (as opposed to angelically holding no ill feelings whatsoever), but they deal with their pain in quite an admirable and respectful way. And I think it's attitudes like this that makes readers say things like WHD is the ultimate novel of feminism in wuxia (which I'm not sure I completely agree, but still think it holds some truth -- I'll get back to this some other day ... this is getting really long). There is internal strength exhibited by such advanced attitudes that extends beyond the pure notion of "physical" or "material" strength that one might associate with the basic notion of strong females.

If you're still with me, this is my last point: YMK.

And this will be a big question mark that I will come back to ask in the later chapters. What were YMK's feelings to TSH? Surely, YLC's way of matchmaking did mess things up a bit, but if YLC and TFL did not bring out this issue, would things have eventually progressed to matters of "love" between YMK & TSH?

Does YMK in actuality really love TSH? Or is it more of an affectionate bond? Or maybe guilt coming from his self-conceived "responsibility"? Is YMK a guy too concerned with world issues, martial arts and transcendental enlightenment to be truly able to devote himself to the sentiments of love?

Is "liking" someone one thing and "marriage" really another?

I don't think I can say for sure what I feel my answers to these questions are -- but hopefully we can all discuss these issues later on as we progress in the story.

And just to end off, what do you think is meant by the "secret relationship"?

I somehow think that despite YLC's worldliness, her (and TFL's) notion of the "secret relationship" isn't necessarily referring to matters of sexuality ... but this is definitely what YMK was embarrassed about being misunderstood about. ??? maybe, maybe not ??? I don' know ...

P.S: I must be really out of the loop these days, apparently "out*wards" is now considered as a bad word since this forum keeps censoring it ...

Default Liang Yu Shen's Legend of the white haired maiden

In the reading room there is a intro and chapter 1 of this book......does anyone know where i can find a full translation of it?

P.S.Is this the same bai fa mo nu zhuan the movie was based on?Chapter 1 doesnt seem to have anything to do with the movie......or am i thinking of something else?

here is the one in the forum
    http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=1968

and the one at wuxiapedia
    http://www.wuxiapedia.com/novels/lia..._hair_demoness

but it is only up to chapter 13 out 32(I think). As for the movie, it was made off the novel; but they seemed to be quite unfaithful to the novel.
    Last edited by TaiHan; 09-04-05 at 04:15 PM.

Is someoen still translating it?If not,is someone willing to pick up where the previous translator left off?

Quote Originally Posted by Question3
    Is someoen still translating it?If not,is someone willing to pick up where the previous translator left off?
    Hi!

It's been so long since I've logged onto this site that I had to think for quite some time before I could remember my password.

Anyways, for those who are still interested, I just wanted to ensure you all that I am STILL translating this story ... and have in fact, never given up.

I've just been really really busy lately -- my summer was chaotic, didn't even get to touch the story at all. It wasn't until recently was I finally able to delve back into the story. I'm in the editing stages of chapter 14, but though I should be able to have it done by the end of the month, sometimes I get thrown into these projects that ends up taking over my life. So though I really really REALLY hope to update by the end of this month, I might just have to end up stealing some (more) grace time.

But just wanted to ensure you all of my stubborness -- I will hang tough and stick with it to the end.

And as for the movie. Yes, this is indeed the story that the movie "Bride with White Hair" was based on. And of course, with all movie/t.v adaptations, there are liberties taken with the original source -- and I consider myself a very open minded individual when it comes to these matters artistic licensing. Despite it's changes and inaccuracies, I quite liked the first installment -- the visuals were lush and haunting, story fast-paced and dramatic, characters striking and memorable -- overall, it took an old tale and updated it to the tastes of the 30sec-attention-span of our typical movie-going audience. HOWEVER, its sequel, the 2nd installment was SH*IT. It was stupid and mysogynistic. It took the White Hair Demoness and twisted her into some kind of psycho-lesbian-killer -- it might as well have called itself "Basic-Instinct-gone-wuxia." It's crap -- don't watch it.

And that's all I have to say about that!
    At the age of six I wanted to be a cook. At seven I wanted to be Napolean -- and my ambition has steadily grown ever since.

~ Salvador Dali

Default Faerie Queene

Quote Originally Posted by Faerie Queene
    Hi!

It's been so long since I've logged onto this site that I had to think for quite some time before I could remember my password.

Anyways, for those who are still interested, I just wanted to ensure you all that I am STILL translating this story ... and have in fact, never given up.

I've just been really really busy lately -- my summer was chaotic, didn't even get to touch the story at all. It wasn't until recently was I finally able to delve back into the story. I'm in the editing stages of chapter 14, but though I should be able to have it done by the end of the month, sometimes I get thrown into these projects that ends up taking over my life. So though I really really REALLY hope to update by the end of this month, I might just have to end up stealing some (more) grace time.

But just wanted to ensure you all of my stubborness -- I will hang tough and stick with it to the end.

And as for the movie. Yes, this is indeed the story that the movie "Bride with White Hair" was based on. And of course, with all movie/t.v adaptations, there are liberties taken with the original source -- and I consider myself a very open minded individual when it comes to these matters artistic licensing. Despite it's changes and inaccuracies, I quite liked the first installment -- the visuals were lush and haunting, story fast-paced and dramatic, characters striking and memorable -- overall, it took an old tale and updated it to the tastes of the 30sec-attention-span of our typical movie-going audience. HOWEVER, its sequel, the 2nd installment was SH*IT. It was stupid and mysogynistic. It took the White Hair Demoness and twisted her into some kind of psycho-lesbian-killer -- it might as well have called itself "Basic-Instinct-gone-wuxia." It's crap -- don't watch it.

Hey Faerie Queene Is this the Shui Ling series, Bai Fa Mo Nu, version you're talking about or the Taiwan series? In the Shui Ling version I particularly enjoyed the Red Flower Demon Matriarch because the actress portraying her obviously enjoyed doing the part.
    Wizard

Hi,
    I did enjoy the Shui Ling version, more because she is exceptionally beautiful. I think it is a Tiawanese production. I did not like the way they handled Yu Luo Cha's history with her sifu. They sped through that part too quickly and took away some of the mystique that was so engagingly presented in the novel and which can be read in Queenie's translation. Also, the series seemed a little overlong. I nonetheles enjoyed it.
    j

Quote Originally Posted by jotaro
    Hi,
    I did enjoy the Shui Ling version, more because she is exceptionally beautiful. I think it is a Tiawanese production. I did not like the way they handled Yu Luo Cha's history with her sifu. They sped through that part too quickly and took away some of the mystique that was so engagingly presented in the novel and which can be read in Queenie's translation. Also, the series seemed a little overlong. I nonetheles enjoyed it.
    j
    Hi jotaro. Maybe you can answer a question for me about an actress in the series. She played the daughter of the martial arts master who helped the hero get his martial arts powers back. She was very funny. What's her name? Thanks,
    Wizard

Hi Wizard,
    I am not sure who she is but her face and voice looks and sounds familiar.
    j.

Quote Originally Posted by Faerie Queene
    Hi!

Hey Faerie Queene, nice to see you around again.

That's great news! You've done an awesome job so far. I'm a total fan of this novel.

About the movie - for starters, I think the title is off but that aside, I like how you said it. I haven't seen it but from what I've heard, about how ZYH tries to kill her, or is the other way around, it sounded insane (from my guess, it's the 2nd installment you're talkin about).

I'm counting on your stubbornness.