Thread: Bijo ka Yajuu - The Beauty or the Beast [Matsushima Nanako, Fukuyama Masaharu]

Default Bijo ka Yajuu - The Beauty or the Beast [Matsushima Nanako, Fukuyama Masaharu]

Synopsis:

After graduating from the Tokyo University School of Law, Tamiya Makoto (Matsushima Nanako) goes on to Harvard University where she earns an MBA. She later works at one of the "big three" networks in the United States as a news reporter. While covering a story on an international symposium in Paris, Makoto is scouted to work for JBC Television in Japan. The news producer at JBC wants to use Makoto to help raise low viewer ratings. He persuades her to work for him for an absurdly high salary, and also gives her the right to hire who she needs.

While Makoto is being brought in to be the savior of the News Department, one man gets transferred from the Variety Department. His name is Nagase Hiromi (Fukuyama Masaharu). Since joining JBC Television, all he has done is variety programs. Although Hiromi has done everything he possibly could to ensure his programs are a success, his boss just could not take anymore of Hiromi's behavior which ranged from getting caught up in scandals with female television personalities, punching-out assistant directors, to taking kickbacks from production companies. His boss finally tells Hiromi to make a fresh start in the "hard nosed" News Department.

So now the News Department has Makoto who thinks high ratings are the meaning of life, and Hiromi who values the success of a program as just a tool for the full enjoyment of life. These two totally different personalities mix it up and somehow reach a mutual understanding, creating a delightful "light comedy" for adults.

--Fuji TV
    http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Bijo_ka_Yajuu
    http://jdorama.com/drama.618.htm

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/2496/20066461205109tz0.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/8400/20066461240565xn2.jpg')

I'm currently watching this 2003 drama and it's okay so far. It's too episodic with little momentum from one episode to the next. I really like Fukuyama Masaharu in here though and can't quite figure out why his character Nagase Hiromi is referred to in the title as "the beast"? He's certainly too easy on the eyes to look like one and if anything, Matsushima Nanako's Tamiya Makoto has the more "beastly" and haughty attitude!
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Zhuge
    I'm currently watching this 2003 drama and it's okay so far. It's too episodic with little momentum from one episode to the next. I really like Fukuyama Masaharu in here though and can't quite figure out why his character Nagase Hiromi is referred to in the title as "the beast"? He's certainly too easy on the eyes to look like one and if anything, Matsushima Nanako's Tamiya Makoto has the more "beastly" and haughty attitude!
    I agree totally. Makoto is too haughty. Too cool too. I only enjoyed watching Massy in this drama as I felt that Matsushima Nanako's role was pretty unchallenging and familiar. This isn't the first time I've seen her play the stern, ice maiden.

Beauty or Beast suffers from being too formulaic and like you said, episodic. You know just what will happen each episode and that predictability doesn't exactly help the show. Unfortunately, that's how it works in this one.

Quote Originally Posted by jade_frosts
    I agree totally. Makoto is too haughty. Too cool too. I only enjoyed watching Massy in this drama as I felt that Matsushima Nanako's role was pretty unchallenging and familiar. This isn't the first time I've seen her play the stern, ice maiden.
    This is actually the first time I've seen Nanoko in such a role, but I don't like it and agree that it's not much of a challenge. Her character doesn't really do much except wield easily influenced decision-making powers. If it weren't for Hiromi, some of her decisions wouldn't have been so great.

I love Masha's acting and want to see more of it! After watching him in action and learning more about him, I have a better understanding of why he was voted atop the lists of "Male Artistes Females Want As Their Lover" and "Male Artistes Females Most Want To Marry." He's an absolute natural in humorously bringing to life this flirtatious yet moral, low ego, and capable character to life all without coming off as exaggerating. I just watched the Valentine's Day episode and he was so cute and endearing begging for chocolates. He as well as my curiosity about why Makoto and Hiromi broke up in the past keep me interested in this series. Will sparks fly again for the two of them?
    Last edited by Lady Zhuge; 03-04-07 at 02:48 PM.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

This is actually the first time I've seen Nanoko in such a role, but I don't like it and agree that it's not much of a challenge. Her character doesn't really do much except wield easily influenced decision-making powers. If it weren't for Hiromi, some of her decisions wouldn't have been so great.

He's an absolute natural in humorously bringing to life this flirtatious yet moral, low ego, and capable character to life all without coming off as exaggerating. I just watched the Valentine's Day episode and he was so cute and endearing begging for chocolates. He as well as my curiosity about why Makoto and Hiromi broke up in the past keep me interested in this series. Will sparks fly again for the two of them?
    He complements her. The counter to her penchant for cold calculation and emphasis on results.

I won't really say sparks flew since Makota's such an ice princess. They still like each other and he definitely cares for her and knows her character but many things give them pause. One of the memorable episodes that I liked was the one where Makoto tries to get information from this politician for a scoop, all the while knowing what a lecher the man is, and Hiromi's panic and anger when he finally finds and saves her from the man's clutches.

I love Masha's acting and want to see more of it! After watching him in action and learning more about him, I have a better understanding of why he was voted atop the lists of "Male Artistes Females Want As Their Lover" and "Male Artistes Females Most Want To Marry."
    Haha yep Masha is a ladies man. Irresistible for his versatility, talent and charisma. Unfortunately Bijo ka Yajuu was his most recent work. He doesn't focus much on acting (one drama every 3-5 years) for he carved out a name for himself more as a successful music artiste (also sang the theme songs from Waterboys, Slow Dance, Meguri Ai) and radio DJ than an actor. His memorable roles are in Meguri Ai (Refrain) and Hitotsu Yane no Shita (Under One Roof).

He complements her. The counter to her penchant for cold calculation and emphasis on results.

I won't really say sparks flew since Makota's such an ice princess. They still like each other and he definitely cares for her and knows her character but many things give them pause. One of the memorable episodes that I liked was the one where Makoto tries to get information from this politician for a scoop, all the while knowing what a lecher the man is, and Hiromi's panic and anger when he finally finds and saves her from the man's clutches.
    Yeah, that episode was the one right before the V-day one and a prime example of Makoto's misguided decision-making. She was actually willing to compromise her dignity and self-respect for an exclusive interview with that low-life all in the name of ratings. It's no wonder some believe it's not just her smarts and talents that have gotten her this far. Thank goodness for Hiromi! He's always the catalyst in every episode and I love him for it.

I see what you mean about the sparks, or lack thereof. Every time there seems to be some hope, Makoto does her best to extinguish it by changing the subject or cutting Hiromi off even though it's obvious she still likes him. Baka!

Haha yep Masha is a ladies man. Irresistible for his versatility, talent and charisma. Unfortunately Bijo ka Yajuu was his most recent work. He doesn't focus much on acting (one drama every 3-5 years) for he carved out a name for himself more as a successful music artiste (also sang the theme songs from Waterboys, Slow Dance, Meguri Ai) and radio DJ than an actor. His memorable roles are in Meguri Ai (Refrain) and Hitotsu Yane no Shita (Under One Roof).
    Yeah, it's hard to believe he's still unattached. Or is he? I read a rumor about him and Konishi Manami, but I don't know if it's true.

I've been listening to quite a few of his songs lately and they're as awesome as his acting. I especially like the Water Boys theme and Sakurazaka.

Since it's been about 4 years since Bijo ka Yajuu, hopefully he's at least thinking about starring in a new series.
    Last edited by Lady Zhuge; 03-05-07 at 09:28 PM.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Yeah, that episode was the one right before the V-day one and a prime example of Makoto's misguided decision-making. She was actually willing to compromise her dignity and self-respect for an exclusive interview with that low-life all in the name of ratings. It's no wonder some believe it's not just her smarts and talents that have gotten her this far. Thank goodness for Hiromi! He's always the catalyst in every episode and I love him for it.

I see what you mean about the sparks, or lack thereof. Every time there seems to be some hope, Makoto does her best to extinguish it by changing the subject or cutting Hiromi off even though it's obvious she still likes him. Baka!
    Totally! Silly woman.

I believe it was because she was hurt once and also because she feels the need to preserve the distinction between boss and subordinate. Their romance just doesn't sizzle. I'd, in fact, call it lukewarm, and it's not helped by the scriptwriters who left the actual development of their relationship a bit too late.

Let me know what you think at the end of the drama. I thought the episodic style of Bijo ka Yajuu made it a bit too typical although there were some good episodes in between. It's an average drama that had good ratings due to the two heavyweights leading the cast, but truly, only Masha is worth the while.

Yeah, it's hard to believe he's still unattached. Or is he? I read a rumor about him and Konishi Manami, but I don't know if it's true.

I've been listening to quite a few of his songs lately and they're as awesome as his acting. I especially like the Water Boys theme and Sakurazaka.

Since it's been about 4 years since Bijo ka Yajuu, hopefully he's at least thinking about starring in a new series.
    I need to cast my feelers out to find that one out. I hope he will act in a new series soon, or at least some station will approach him to do a drama. It would make sense since he's a ratings draw given the recent state of Japanese dramas. But I won't bank on it!
    Last edited by jade_frosts; 03-06-07 at 12:40 AM.

Totally! Silly woman.

I believe it was because she was hurt once and also because she feels the need to preserve the distinction between boss and subordinate. Their romance just doesn't sizzle. I'd, in fact, call it lukewarm, and it's not helped by the scriptwriters who left the actual development of their relationship a bit too late.

Let me know what you think at the end of the drama. I thought the episodic style of Bijo ka Yajuu made it a bit too typical although there were some good episodes in between. It's an average drama that had good ratings due to the two heavyweights leading the cast, but truly, only Masha is worth the while.
    Was Hiromi the one who hurt her in the past? He certainly doesn't seem like the type. Even though I only have 2 more episodes to go in this one, I guess I haven't gotten to a complete explanation yet.

Each episode pretty much followed the same formula of focusing on one of the newsroom staff members, Makoto having a defining moment thanks to Hiromi, and then eureka, an ideal ending. A shift seemed to take place in episode 9 though, although I'm not sure if it'll actually carry over to the end given the layout of the series. It was the story about either doing a special report on the carcinogen content in a small town's water to keep a second factory from opening in the area or finishing the countdown on the best ramen to garner high ratings in order to keep the News department alive at JBC. Hiromi didn't get much screentime with Makoto seemingly becoming more independent and actually soliciting opinions from her subordinates.

Maybe it's just me, but a few of Masha's mannerisms sometimes remind me of Abe Hiroshi's. Like the twitch he does with his mouth and certain eye movements. Very cute and natural. I like.

I need to cast my feelers out to find that one out. I hope he will act in a new series soon, or at least some station will approach him to do a drama. It would make sense since he's a ratings draw given the recent state of Japanese dramas. But I won't bank on it!
    Please do.

I believe Masha will be releasing a new single in April, so maybe he'll be up for a change of pace after that.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Was Hiromi the one who hurt her in the past? He certainly doesn't seem like the type. Even though I only have 2 more episodes to go in this one, I guess I haven't gotten to a complete explanation yet.

Each episode pretty much followed the same formula of focusing on one of the newsroom staff members, Makoto having a defining moment thanks to Hiromi, and then eureka, an ideal ending. A shift seemed to take place in episode 9 though, although I'm not sure if it'll actually carry over to the end given the layout of the series. It was the story about either doing a special report on the carcinogen content in a small town's water to keep a second factory from opening in the area or finishing the countdown on the best ramen to garner high ratings in order to keep the News department alive at JBC. Hiromi didn't get much screentime with Makoto seemingly becoming more independent and actually soliciting opinions from her subordinates.

Maybe it's just me, but a few of Masha's mannerisms sometimes remind me of Abe Hiroshi's. Like the twitch he does with his mouth and certain eye movements. Very cute and natural. I like.
    You're watching this very fast!

I think Hiromi hurt her to some extent. I remembered that there was some mention of it from the episode where they were snowed in and also in a later episode involving Makoto's former school. Or has fuzzy memory altered my impressions?

In Japanese dramas, the two episodes at the end typically stop following the episodic pattern of the previous episodes and usually focus on something that the main protagonist feels strongly about. It's generally a crucial moment where he or she is standing at a turning point that isn't favourable but still adamant to do it his or her way.

Haha. Yeah it's their eyes that's similar. They are both very cute and charismatic.

Ok, the most I managed to dig out concerning Masha is that he said last year that he wanted to marry by 40. He turns 38 this year.

You're watching this very fast!
    Really? I'm actually averaging about an episode per day. From the perspective of a procrastinating student, I guess one good thing about episodic series vs. momentum-building ones like Unfair is that there are generally no cliffhangers and thus little urge to plow through the entire drama in a short period of time.

I think Hiromi hurt her to some extent. I remembered that there was some mention of it from the episode where they were snowed in and also in a later episode involving Makoto's former school. Or has fuzzy memory altered my impressions?
    Bits and pieces were mentioned in those episodes, but what happened back then seemed to be a misunderstanding or a series of misunderstandings that may have caused Makoto to feel hurt. Yukino was working on a scarf for Hiromi and Makoto helped her out, saying she'd once knit a scarf for a guy she loved, but never gave it to [Hiromi]. Apparently she was quite clumsy with her hands at the time and being the perfectionist that she is, didn't feel the finished product was good enough? Or did Hiromi do something that caused her to change her mind? That wasn't made very clear. It was also insinuated that back when they were dating, Hiromi had told Makoto a well-intentioned lie that he didn't like hand-crafted items since she wasn't good at making them.

Ok, the most I managed to dig out concerning Masha is that he said last year that he wanted to marry by 40. He turns 38 this year.
    Translation if he follows though on his intention: Millions of female hearts will be broken in 2 years.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

I've finished this series. So the two of them broke up over 9 years ago because each thought the other's intentions were to break up the relationship. It's hard to believe that kind of misunderstanding would split a couple who supposedly had such strong feelings for one another. I mean, at least attempt to clarify or confirm assumptions via telephone or email or whatnot instead of let 9 years go by like that, right? They'd have lived lives of regretful "what-ifs" had fate not allowed them to cross paths again.

The rather open ending seemed to be tailor-made for a sequel or at least a special. Too bad one was never made. I was just starting to get a good gauge on Masha and Nanako's chemistry. Thank goodness they moved beyond the handshakes, though! Their embrace was sweet and the kiss would have been much juicier had Hiromi not been so surprised by Makoto's sudden surge of initiative.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")