Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Battle of Red Cliffs

Its ok I guess. I still want Watanabe for Cao Cao.

Just keep bloody Jay Chou away from this!!!! He can play a footsoldier maybe.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Currently in Moss, Silver. Next stop....still Moss, Silver

where did you hear Jay Chou is going for this movie, anyway? im sure the rumour is just for publicity, to say that there are so many stars rooting for the roles in the movie.....plus, if its real it should be all over Jay Chou's fansites and yet i dont see any indication of even the word "battle" in them.....

Quote Originally Posted by ghostdarTeal'c
    LOL, who do you picture best to portray Zhou Yu then? btw, what's wrong with Tony playing Zhou Yu? he's too old for the role too?
    I'm not sure. He doesn't exactly look the part either.

I can't think of anyone suitable right now. I need a good list of actors to look at.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

where did you hear Jay Chou is going for this movie, anyway? im sure the rumour is just for publicity
    yea, like the one that Jay Chou was going to be WXB in DOMD, and the one that Rain/Bi was going to play YG in ROCH... argh, totally destroyed me for a while.

is LZL still going to be in this as "leading" female? *not too impressed*

His wife demanded superstar treatment for CYF in Curse. Reason being, he's a Hollywood main actor. He'd a private trailer so he doesn't have to mingle with the dirty heathens in between shoots.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeneshii
    Besides, it was said that the contract dispute this time was caused by Jasmine, Chow Yun Fat's wife, who has always minded his work. It was also said that Jasmine requested that the production team pass everything to her first before Chow Yun Fat. As to this charge that Chow Yun Fat could not be reached by the production team, Chow Yun Fat said that he would not respond to it.

Wow, how lively.

I'm SOOO glad Fat ge is not ZhouYu. But actually he'd make a great LiuBei you know.
    My dream cast:
    Liu Bei - CYF

CaoCao - Chen DaoMing or Ken Watanabe (either will be great)

KongMing - Takashi. Come to think of it, he does have an ethereal look.

ZhouYu - Daniel Wu. Huang XiaoMing is dropdead gorgeous but he looks more like an Emperor with too much "Ba Qi".

GuanYu - Anthony Wong hands down. Anyone seen his GuanYu in that gangster movie? FABULOUS.

PangTong - Eric Tsang

XiaoQiao - LZL is ok but I like ShuiLing (Jiang QingQing) better. No Zhang ZhiYi pleeeease. She looks more like Empress Wu

I love Tony Leung but he just looks out of place here...
    My personal page: http://www.whileranting.com.
    Check out my creations and read the legendary Judge Expression's Courtroom Service.

Quote Originally Posted by CC
    Its ok I guess. I still want Watanabe for Cao Cao.
    Yeah but you know the Chinese. They'll make a huge deal out of him being a Japanese. Takeshi is still half Taiwanese (which is Chinese) so it's ok.

where did you hear Jay Chou is going for this movie, anyway? im sure the rumour is just for publicity, to say that there are so many stars rooting for the roles in the movie.....plus, if its real it should be all over Jay Chou's fansites and yet i dont see any indication of even the word "battle" in them.....
    I sure hope it's a rumour but yeah, a couple of news sites said it was a suggestion (which I still laugh over).

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang
    I'm not sure. He doesn't exactly look the part either.

I can't think of anyone suitable right now. I need a good list of actors to look at.
    I'm sure they can buff him up or whatnot with makeup and so on, but as far as acting goes, he's one of the very best so I'm really glad.

Quote Originally Posted by expression
    Wow, how lively.

ZhouYu - Daniel Wu. Huang XiaoMing is dropdead gorgeous but he looks more like an Emperor with too much "Ba Qi".

XiaoQiao - LZL is ok but I like ShuiLing (Jiang QingQing) better. No Zhang ZhiYi pleeeease. She looks more like Empress Wu
    Daniel Wu can't act. Period.

Yeah Shui Ling would be good But she's not the most spectacular actress although she is ok. But I really would like Zhang Lan Lan to play the role. She's a good actress and fairly good looking.

LZL is ok but I can't comment on her acting just yet. It's unfair to judge too early when we haven't seen any eg's of it yet.

wow...you mind-reader!!
    You're cool

News:

Leung Returns & Replaces Chow

John Woo's upcoming "Battle of Red Cliff" looks to be turning into an epic behind as well as in front of the cameras, with yet another twist in the ongoing casting saga. Now, it looks as though Tony Leung Chiu Wai has returned to the fold, shortly after having left the production due to not being able to speak Mandarin to a high enough standard (which Chow used the same excuse for). Instead of taking up his original part, it now seems as though he will now be playing the role vacated by Chow Yun Fat, who was apparently 'fired' from the film for a number of reasons, ranging from 'obscene demands', to being too old. Although a contract has yet to be signed, Leung's return is said to have been confirmed, and that the change will not hold up shooting or affect the film otherwise - nice to see such a flexible production.

Speculation is that Chow and Leung previously had a fallout, suggesting that neither wanted to work with the other.

...........................and another:

It's official. Tony Leung Chiu Wai will return to the cast of the Battle of Red Cliff and play the role of Zhou Yu. His part starts in May. According to the Terance Chang, Tony agreed based on the 20 years friendship with John Woo and that China view this movie as an important piece. Terence said that Tony is multi faceted and could play the role of Zhou Yu without a problem. Tony's role would not be less than that of Takeshi. He has flown to Beijing and studying his script now.

And another:

According the Ming Pao HK newspaper, Tony Leung is confirmed to replace Chow to take the role o Zhou Yu. The reason for Tony Leung changing his mind being that since Chow suddenly left the project, Woo is having a big problem to finish the project and urge Tony to come back. Being a loyal friend of Woo for long time, Tony decided to go back to the project and do Woo a favour to solve his problem.

Very interesting and in-depth news on the changing cast and what really happened

The truth about Tony Leung + CYF casting

DETAILED INSIDER'S NEWS

Hong Kong star Tony Leung Chiu Wai will return to the entourage of war epic "The Battle of Red Cliff" to star as Zhou Yu.

It seems the story behind John Woo's new big budget epic, "The Battle of Red Cliff," is as flexible as the movie itself. Less than a week after it started shooting, it experienced the drop-out of big star Chow Yun-fat. Now, another big star, Tony Leung Chiu Wai, has returned. Tony Leung has agreed to return to the movie. This time, the actor will star as Zhou Yu instead of the role of Zhu Geliang, which he quit before.

The film producer Zhang Jiazheng said the return of Tony Leung made them excited. They are now expecting him for the upcoming cooperation, though a formal contract has not yet been signed.

Shi Dongming from the entourage said the return of Leung wouldn't affect the original decision.

Shi says that Zhou Yu and Zhu Geliang are the two eye-catching characters in the movie. In the famous legend, Zhu Geliang was a brilliant military strategist in the ancient Three Kingdoms period, while Zhu Yu was an excellent general for his opponent. In the screenplay, there are many plots to narrate their relationship.

Below is an insider's information:

1. In connection with my work, I experienced the whole process of casting adjustment of <The Battle of Red Cliff>. The reason I am writing this is not to disclose insider information, but to share my feeling.

2. In the initial stage, John Woo already determined to invite Chow Yun Fat and Tony, his two favourite casts, to work on the project. The movie was set with two lead characters - Zhou Yu and Zhuge Liang, with Zhou's role slightly heavier than Zhuge. Both Chow and Tony wanted to be Zhou. As Chow insisted, Tony agreed to take up Zhuge. When the first edition of the script was out, it was passed to Chow and Tony. Tony prepared his role based on that script. Chow had a lot of comments, intentionally or not, as a result of Chow's comments, Zhou's character is more substantial than Zhuge in the revised script. John Woo had to call Tony to explain the change. Frankly, Tony didn't like the change, but considering this is a team work, he reluctantly accepted. And he also started his filming of <Lust, Caution>.

3. After <Lust, Caution>, Tony returned to HK and received the final script. This time the script was significantly revised according to Chow's comments. It was just a month from the shooting, and Tony just finished a very exhaustive role, with the gossips on Carina and the Taiwanese businessman under the spotlight. Timing wise, physically, or emotionally, Tony is not ready to prepare the new role. Considering that he needs to be responsible to the team and to himself, he resigned.

4. @Afterwards, Chow was axed because of his high demand. In fact, from the beginning, the investors already considered Chow's price too high, with too much conditions. John insisted to have Chow. In the end, Tony's resignation and the introduction of Takeshi magnified the problem of age difference between Zhou and Zhuge, and became the catalyst to the change of cast. Fairly speaking, actors are free to set their terms, directors have the right to use the actors they prefer, and investors are free to consider whether an actor is of good value. It's just business, there is no right or wrong. One cannot say that if a deal falls apart, someone must be unfaithful. Woo, however, is now set on Takeshi as he believes Takeshi is a very strong actor who is very good with his display of emotions.

5. After Chow being axed, investors recommended their own artists to take up the role. Many peeople want the role, but John Woo resisted all the pressure and insisted to have Tony. He even said if there is no Chow or Tony, there is no point for him to direct the film. Tony, who's had a 20 year friendship with Woo has accepted when hearing about the recent blow to the film. John Woo really wants to work with the actor he really admires, and to finish a great project together.

6. Actually, the script they now intend to work on is the first script which Tony has prepared, but opposed by Chow. Hence, Tony is the one who is most familar with the role of Zhou. (It's Tony's general practice that when preparing his own role, he also prepared other major roles. In TVB days, it was common that he reminded his partners when they forgot their lines.) People on the web who doubted how come Tony is now ready for the role of Zhou, given that he claimed lack of time to prepare the role of Zhuge as the reason to quit earlier, don't know the details.

7. Tony is under great pressure now. Once he accepted the role, it's difficult to get rid of the accusation of a fight for the role. He once thought of taking up the role of Zhuge again to avoid the accusation, but Takehsi is not familiar with the role of Zhou. Tony is a kind man, from the beginning when he received the ever changing script, to quitting the role of Zhuge, to the rough period now, he suffered a lot, but Tony never said a word. Chow is a senior he respected, he would rather to be the one being accused, than speaking behind others' back. When there was dispute, he chose to retreat and endure. Media's misunderstanding, whether concerning his personal life or career, he chose tolerance and silence. He is not weak, he just doesn't want to waste time and energy on unnecessary disputes. But he is not a saint, he cannot do something which is only beneficial to others, but not himself.

8. 100 million people have 100 million Zhou. You, as the audience may not think Tony is suitable for the role, but I and Woo think he is. The most important thing is the investors and the director think he is. If you like it, fine. If not, simply don't watch the movie. It is not necessary to curse him.

9. And for those who concerned too much about Tony being hurt, just like someone said in Springlight: Man's life is to face the storm and build his career. If you are so afraid of Tony being hurt, does that mean Tony has to stay at home and away from people? Tony is an excellent actor, not a protected pet.

10. Chow Yun Fat is still the same Chow Yun Fat, just that the world is not the same world where he can play god. He did nothing wrong, just misjudging the situation and his opponents.

Source: sina.com

Chow Yun Fat left 'Red Cliff' for Sun Yat-Sen Biopic

CHOW YUN FAT TO PLAY DR. SUN YET-SEN IN MOVIE

The latest rumor has it that the Sun Yat Sen role which was originally set for Takeshi Kaneshiro may be awarded to Chow Yun Fat. CYF is rumored to have left Battle of Red Cliff to take on the role that was originally set for Takeshi since Takeshi is now making the Battle of Red Cliff. According to the film foundation director Yau Fok San who would be making this movie, this movie would be made in English and among Chinese actors, the only one who could star as a senior has to be Chow Yun Fat. The most important is that CYF's eyes really looks like Dr. Sun Yat Sen. 'Is this why Chow Yun Fat left the cast of Battle of Red Cliff?' is what most people were wondering. Yau Fook San did not want to confirm and said that everything is now in preparation.

Speculation is that because there is more than one leading character in Battle of Red Cliff, Chow Yun Fat wanted to be the single stand-out character in the Sun Yet Sen biopic. It is also known that this English language film might appeal to Western audiences more, further expanding Chow Yun Fat's reputation in Hollywood.

source: http://www.qihoo.com/

.....................Personally, I think it's very irresponsible for CYF to leave Woo's film just 1 or 2 days ahead of the filming...and much respect to Tony Leung! He's a good friend to have and damn well he's a good actor!

wow...so many internal disputes that we dont know of....

wow...so many internal disputes that we dont know of....
    i agree! talk about controversial...

Whoa, dirty business. Yeah, 'Fat' boy is quite full of himself and his busy-body wife as well. Tony seems a lot more humble. Aww, yeah I agree! Zhang Lan Lan is just as pretty as LZL and she CAN act. Oh well, stupid investors.

Tony is still no good for Zhou Yu - his chicken feet lines are so obvious. He too, looks too old for Zhou Yu. Daniel Wu... he kind of looks like a bad boy so no. Huang Xiaoming looks pretty good for the part, but I'm not very sure about his acting.

...what's chicken feet lines?

...what's chicken feet lines?
    Those wrinkles at the eyes. Tony's wrinkles are getting more and more obvious, I tell you. He doesn't look that young anymore, and neither does he look right. How tall is he anyway?

As someone mentioned before, Tony looks out of place.

Those wrinkles at the eyes. Tony's wrinkles are getting more and more obvious, I tell you. He doesn't look that young anymore, and neither does he look right.

so that's chicken feet lines....

How tall is he anyway?
    i read somewhere that he's 1.74m.

it's either theyre of the same height, or LZL is taller than him..
    Last edited by ghostdarTeal'c; 04-20-07 at 11:43 AM.

so that's chicken feet lines....

i read somewhere that he's 1.74m.

it's either theyre of the same height, or LZL is taller than him..
    I think she's taller. @.@;

When I read that Tony's back, I knew he must have left because he didn't get Zhou Yu's role and so he returned to get that role now CYF's out of the picture.

I wonder whether this is going to be filmed according to the novel or historical facts.

I think she's taller.
    the worst that i expect that they are at least at the same height....gonna look weird if LZL turns out taller than him.......but they can fix that on screen right? i mean, with that high-tech stuff, making LZL look shorter or Tony taller is possible, right? sound weird when i reread that part, but i think i read somewhere that they can do that....

I wonder whether this is going to be filmed according to the novel or historical facts.
    ...or neither. It'll probably be a mix of all of those.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

I still can't get over the fact that they keep looking for old guys to fill in Zhou Yu's role. It's the star factor, I tell you. I mean, if they can get this young man for Zhao Yun, why the heck can't they do the same for Zhou Yu who's supposed to be the hottest guy in that era??? Zhao Yun's even older than Zhou Yu but the former managed to get a young actor!