Page 1 of 27 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Battle of Red Cliffs

Default Battle of Red Cliffs

New John Woo movie, w/ Takeshi Kaneshiro as Zhu Ge Liang (!!!!), Lin Zhi Ling (NO idea how in the world she got on the cast given her utter inexperience in acting and mere vase abilities), and Vicki Zhao.

I think Tony Leung makes a more convincing Zhu Ge Liang.

I agree... Tony Leung definitely makes a more convincing Zhu Ge Liang.

Takeshi is a hunk and a very good actor, but I don't think he fits the image of Zhu Ge Liang. Any idea what role Vicki will play?

So finally this project seems to be getting off its feet. Previous threads have dated back to 2004.

http://spcnet.tv/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8645

http://spcnet.tv/forums/showthread.p...7&page=1&pp=20

Vicki is playing Sun Shangxiang and Lin Zhi Ling is playing Xiao Qiao. Not that Tony looks particularly old or anything, but at least Takeshi is closer to Zhuge Liang's actual age during Chibi.

A more complete cast list and updated news information on this film can be found here.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

So who has the bigger role: Lin Zhi Ling or Vicki? I'm certainly not crazy about Vicki, but she can evidently kick Lin Zhi Ling's *** in terms of acting.

this movie will take a while to pop on to the big screen, have they even started the filming yet??
    PLA

Currently in Moss, Silver. Next stop....still Moss, Silver

Battle of Red Cliff starts filming at the end of March

News from MonkeyPeaches.com, Feb 10, 2007

Producer and president of China Film Group announced the list of the major cast member of John Woo's upcoming US$75 million historical drama The Battle of Red Cliff yesterday.

Chow Yun-Fat - as Zhou Yu, the top general of warlord Sun Quan.
    Leung Chiu-Wai - as Zhuge Liang, the top adviser of warlord Liu Bei.
    Lin Chi-ling - as the younger Qiao sister, wife of Zhou Yu.
    Zhang Fengyi (The Emperor and the Assassin, Farewell My Concubine) - as warlord Cao Cao, who attempted to defeat Sun Quan and Liu Bei.
    Chang Chen (The Go Master, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon) - as warlord Sun Quan.
    You Yong - as warlord Liu Bei.
    Hu Jun (Getting Home, Lan Yu) - as Zhao Yun, a general of Liu Bei.
    Zhao Wei (The Post-Modern Life of My Aunt, Warriors of Heaven and Earth) - as Sun Shangxiang, sister of Sun Quan and future wife of Liu Bei.
    Other cast members include Tong Dawei (Lost in Beijing), Kou Si, Sun Chun and Song Jia.

Updated news on March 6 says that Tony Leung turned down the offer, which later taken up by Takeshi Kaneshiro.

http://www.monkeypeaches.com/battleofredcliff.html

P.S: Ppl are expecting to see Lin Zhi Ling(whoever she is ), looks like she's got a more important role than Vicki....
    Last edited by ghostdarTeal'c; 03-07-07 at 02:29 AM.
    Da One and Only,
    ghostdarTeal'c

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Idols: Mark Dacascos and Vicki Zhao Wei
    Fav Artists: Zhang Tie Lin, Cheng E Kin, Vin Diesel, Jet Li, Amy Chan Sau Man, Michelle Rodriguez, Theresa Lee Yee Hong
    Fav Series: The Great General, Heroine of The Yangs, Huan Zhu Ge Ge I & II, Secret Battle of The Majesties
    Fav Movies: The Matrix I, G.I Jane, Fist of Legend, Drive, Gladiator, 2009 Lost Memories, So Close, Crying Freeman

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius; Commander of the Army of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor; Marcus Aurilius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife, and I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.

- The Spaniard -

Quote Originally Posted by ghostdarTeal'c
    Battle of Red Cliff starts filming at the end of March

News from MonkeyPeaches.com, Feb 10, 2007

Producer and president of China Film Group announced the list of the major cast member of John Woo's upcoming US$75 million historical drama The Battle of Red Cliff yesterday.

Chow Yun-Fat - as Zhou Yu, the top general of warlord Sun Quan.
    Leung Chiu-Wai - as Zhuge Liang, the top adviser of warlord Liu Bei.
    Lin Chi-ling - as the younger Qiao sister, wife of Zhou Yu.
    Zhang Fengyi (The Emperor and the Assassin, Farewell My Concubine) - as warlord Cao Cao, who attempted to defeat Sun Quan and Liu Bei.
    Chang Chen (The Go Master, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon) - as warlord Sun Quan.
    You Yong - as warlord Liu Bei.
    Hu Jun (Getting Home, Lan Yu) - as Zhao Yun, a general of Liu Bei.
    Zhao Wei (The Post-Modern Life of My Aunt, Warriors of Heaven and Earth) - as Sun Shangxiang, sister of Sun Quan and future wife of Liu Bei.
    Other cast members include Tong Dawei (Lost in Beijing), Kou Si, Sun Chun and Song Jia.

Updated news on March 6 says that Tony Leung turned down the offer, which later taken up by Takeshi Kaneshiro.

http://www.monkeypeaches.com/battleofredcliff.html

P.S: Ppl are expecting to see Lin Zhi Ling, looks like she's got a more important role than Vicki....
    Wow...lots of stars. I always like Cao Cao, most people always give the ideas that he is evil.
    PLA

im particularly excited about this movie, Curse of Golden Flower costs US$45 million, and it already made my jaw hang....now this one costs US$75 mill? thats a lot of money, man....im expecting this to be a real jaw-drop....

Quote Originally Posted by ghostdarTeal'c
    im particularly excited about this movie, Curse of Golden Flower costs US$45 million, and it already made my jaw hang....now this one costs US$75 mill? thats a lot of money, man....im expecting this to be a real jaw-drop....
    And knowing that its directed by John Woo there will be lots of slow motions... lol.
    PLA

I hope not, cuz im not really into slow-mos......all it does is just highlight the moves that are probably not quite as powerful if executed in normal mode.....

I'm not gonna watch it. Chow Yunfat as Zhou Yu is already a major damper. It's a total miscast. @_@
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

http://www.monkeypeaches.com/

Leung Chiu-Wai has quit John Woo’s The Battle of Red Cliff (aka. Red Cliff) due to some “schedule conflict”. His role, Guge Liang (the top advisor to warlord Liu Bei), now belongs to Takeshi Kaneshiro, according to Sina.com. Reportedly, the principle shooting of the war epic will last about six months, too long for Leung to handle.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild-Fire
    And knowing that its directed by John Woo there will be lots of slow motions... lol.
    Lol, and flying pigeons too.
    "A girl asked me if she should spent money to change the way she look, I told her that she should use it to change her personality instead."

Quote Originally Posted by levendis d'orange
    Lol, and flying pigeons too.
    Ooooo ya this time in a buddha temple with arrows flying at each other..lol

But I do love John's Classic movie "Better tomorrow" and "Hard Boil."
    PLA

So what does Xiao Qiao do in this whole thing? I know she's the beautiful wife of some important figure, but otherwise, does she play a significant role? I don't get why Xiao Qiao's role is getting all this hype when she's just some side character in the actual book, just because Lin Zhi Ling's in it? *rolls eyes*

On the other hand, women like Lu Hou seem to play a more important role (she's Liu Bei's first wife, non?).

Yeah I think I'll pass too--not too fond of Chow Yun Fat, and flower vases.

funny i was only looking forward to see the action sequences and the battle scenes

im not a fan of Chow Yun-fat either, the only reason i watched Curse of Golden Flower was because of Gong Li, but then, CYF's performance in COGF is excellent, and im actually looking forward to his role in Battle of Red Cliff

Quote Originally Posted by yearning
    So what does Xiao Qiao do in this whole thing? I know she's the beautiful wife of some important figure, but otherwise, does she play a significant role? I don't get why Xiao Qiao's role is getting all this hype when she's just some side character in the actual book, just because Lin Zhi Ling's in it? *rolls eyes*

On the other hand, women like Lu Hou seem to play a more important role (she's Liu Bei's first wife, non?).

Yeah I think I'll pass too--not too fond of Chow Yun Fat, and flower vases.
    Empress Lu? No. That's the wife of Liu Bang who was the founder of the Han Dynasty. That makes her Liu Bei's ancestress instead.

Xiaoqiao is considered to be one of the greatest beauties of that time (at least it's stated so in the novel) and was the wife of Zhou Yu. One of Cao Cao's motives to invade Wu was apparently to get hold of Xiaoqiao and her elder sis Daqiao because he's got a hobby of collecting hot girls.

In the novel, Zhuge Liang used this to agitate Zhou Yu into fighting the war with Cao Cao.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang
    Empress Lu? No. That's the wife of Liu Bang who was the founder of the Han Dynasty. That makes her Liu Bei's ancestress instead.

Xiaoqiao is considered to be one of the greatest beauties of that time (at least it's stated so in the novel) and was the wife of Zhou Yu. One of Cao Cao's motives to invade Wu was apparently to get hold of Xiaoqiao and her elder sis Daqiao because he's got a hobby of collecting hot girls.

In the novel, Zhuge Liang used this to agitate Zhou Yu into fighting the war with Cao Cao.
    Haha, that shows my pathetic my Chinese history is--thanks for the clarification.

But my question is still, does Xiao Qiao DO anything though? Besides sit there and be the greatest beauty/pretty wife of someone? Was she smart? She seems kind of boring and vase-like. If that is the case, I guess Lin Zhi Ling's not too bad as her, although it's kind of pointless to make that kind of character a main one.

Quote Originally Posted by yearning
    But my question is still, does Xiao Qiao DO anything though?
    No, not really. She's almost like a Chinese version of Helen of Troy. I'm not sure how butchered this adaptation of the story will be, though.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Zhuge
    No, not really. She's almost like a Chinese version of Helen of Troy. I'm not sure how butchered this adaptation of the story will be, though.
    ARGHH...I HATE HATE useless characters, especially vases that sit around and do nothing while men and countries go to demise because of their so-called beauty. *fumes angrily* I mean, it's all fine if they're a minor character, but why would anyone in their right mind want a character like that starring in the show? Unless they butcher it up really bad as you've said. Reminds me of Zhang Zi Yi's song in House of Flying Daggers, but at least her character had some substance there.