Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 300

Great movie, great actors, great action, everything is great. I don't know the history but I still find it pretty much entertaining. I give it an 8/10.

I really hope when the dvd is released they will have all the deleted scene added into the dvd like LOR (collection pack, which was 35mins longer). Which mean more actions
    Last edited by Wild-Fire; 03-13-07 at 10:57 PM.
    PLA

The most memorable quote of the entire movie:

"Only Spartan women give birth to real men."

an overrated movie.....average storyline....nothing was good beside the CG...so-so movie.....

Quote Originally Posted by SkyKing
    an overrated movie.....average storyline....nothing was good beside the CG...so-so movie.....
    What were you expecting, a movie like Lord of the Rings?

Quote Originally Posted by Jampack200
    What were you expecting, a movie like Lord of the Rings?
    an ending..

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

an ending..

DON'T be a DUMBASS & DISAGREE w/ ME
    I'm hoping the mods can at least edit your Sig, its annoying

Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    I'm hoping the mods can at least edit your Sig, its annoying

freedom of post babe

an ending..
    Whay do you mean an ending? I think it was fine as it was, pulling off the Braveheart end scenario. Were you expecting them to go into the full scale war of Greece and Persia?

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Jampack200
    Whay do you mean an ending? I think it was fine as it was, pulling off the Braveheart end scenario. Were you expecting them to go into the full scale war of Greece and Persia?
    The battle of Thermopylae is not the final battle of the Greco-Persian War, there are still more battles after it. However the Battle of Thermopylae is the most famous because of the Greek vastly outnumbered, still able to held back the Persians for three days in one of history's most famous last stands.

After Thermopylae, the Spartans assembled at full strength and led a pan-Greek army that defeated the Persians, lead by Mardonius (Xerces successor) decisively at the Battle of Plataea, ending the Greco-Persian War and with it Persian Empire expansion into Europe.

Hey Skyking, just ask from Snyder to add like another 10 hours of footage to include all those battles so that you can have your proper ending.....

What do you mean nothing else is good besides the cg? The actors were quite good imo, the sword fights were also great. I do agree that the story is so so but what do you expect when it is based on history.

Is the part when Leonidas throws his spear at Xerxes true in history?? Just wondering if that part is real or fiction.
    PLA

Xerxes sat on top of the ridge, looking down at the battle.

atlantean0208: Themistocles lead the Athenians Fleet in victory at Salamis, which was the decisive victory over the Persians. This was an Athenian victory, not a Spartan victory.

Hmm....I don't know why the majority are looking for historical accuracy

IMO, historical accuracy would have actually detracted from the movie.

If you think about it, the story is being told by Delios and as a storyteller he is obviously gonna embellish certain details in order to skew the people's perception and make King Leonidas and his men seem superhuman and the Persians seem like decadent and ruthless people (and Xerxes is portrayed as being 8 feet tall with gold piercings over his body )

I enjoyed the movie because it was just so over-the-top. It did its job in entertaining me. If I wanted to learn about the actual history, I would go and watch a documentary or read a book on the subject.

Note: I'm not saying that I don't like history. Far from it actually. I'm just saying if I'm paying $10 to go see a movie, I better get some enjoyment out of it
    I'm not a robot like you. I don't like having disks crammed into me... unless they're Oreos, and then only in the mouth - Fry

Here's an interesting interview with Frank Miller, the creator of "300". Predictably enough, there's a definite cryptofascist strain in his worship of strength but I wonder what the spartans would think if they saw him crying?

http://littlegreenfootballs.com/webl...o_Moonbat&only
    "A girl asked me if she should spent money to change the way she look, I told her that she should use it to change her personality instead."

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by douggilmour
    Xerxes sat on top of the ridge, looking down at the battle.

atlantean0208: Themistocles lead the Athenians Fleet in victory at Salamis, which was the decisive victory over the Persians. This was an Athenian victory, not a Spartan victory.
    Nope, the Greco-Persian wars is ended at the Battle of Plataea between an alliance of Greek city-states Sparta, Athens, Corinth, Megara.

The battle of Salamis is the battle where Xercess army has a total defeat. Later on through Mardonious, the Persian recapture Athens until the final battle of Plataea.

Nope, the Greco-Persian wars is ended at the Battle of Plataea between an alliance of Greek city-states Sparta, Athens, Corinth, Megara.

The battle of Salamis is the battle where Xercess army has a total defeat. Later on through Mardonious, the Persian recapture Athens until the final battle of Plataea.
    Salamis was the most important battle of the war, as the Greek victory destroyed a large part of the Persian fleet, which meant the huge Persian army couldn't be maintained any more in Greece (supplying purely by land was impossible). As a result of Salamis, Xerxes went home with most of his troops, leaving a sizeable but much reduced force under Mardonius. This was beaten by the Greeks at Plataea.

I haven't seen the film, but there were a number of potentially dramatic events in reality that culd have been included. For instance, Alexander of Macedon submitted to the Persians, but covertly supplied the Greeks with intelligence. One of Leonidas' predecessors (the Spartans had a dual kingship), Demaratus, likewise gave the Greeks warning of Xerxes' intentions, sending a blank wax tablet behind which was written his warning. After the Greek force had been outflanked, the Thespians remained because their land was going to be overrun anyway, while several hundred Thebans also stayed as hostages of Sparta. The Thebans defected to the Persians as a body, then promptly turned on the Spartans for holding them hostage.

Quote Originally Posted by levendis d'orange
    Here's an interesting interview with Frank Miller, the creator of "300". Predictably enough, there's a definite cryptofascist strain in his worship of strength but I wonder what the spartans would think if they saw him crying?

http://littlegreenfootballs.com/webl...o_Moonbat&only
    What's really interesting is the comments on the post by some of his supporters. They don't view the stuttering as a result of some crazed mind (which, if you ever read some of his stuff, will come as no surprise to anyone) but as someone who is nervous standing up to the monolith that is "NPR".
    春花秋月几时了,
    往事知多少?
    小楼昨夜又东风,
    故国不堪回首明月中.
    雕栏玉砌应犹在,
    只是朱颜改.
    问君能有几多愁,
    恰似一江春水向东流.
    --南唐后主,李煜.

LoL, what do u mean nope? Look at my post and ur post and see if it contradicts each other:

Themistocles lead the Athenians Fleet in victory at Salamis, which was the decisive victory over the Persians.
    The battle of Salamis is the battle where Xercess army has a total defeat.

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

LoL, what do u mean nope? Look at my post and ur post and see if it contradicts each other:
    Yes it is the end of Xerces army but not the Persian-Greco war and absolutely not the end of the Persian Army, it was only ended in the Battle of Plataea. What I mean as decisive defeat means the Persian is not coming back to attack.

Maybe you ended your Greek History Lesson 101 after the Xerces defeat and ignoring other subsequent battle after it.

As a result of Salamis, Xerxes went home with most of his troops, leaving a sizeable but much reduced force under Mardonius. This was beaten by the Greeks at Plataea.
    Last edited by atlantean0208; 03-20-07 at 07:43 AM.