Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Martial arts you *hate*

Quote Originally Posted by sarakoth
    there should be a poll for this
    I generally avoid polls. Polls only give me numbers. I'm not interested in numbers. I want to read discussion.

I absolutely have to agree with everyone that has suggested DG9J so far, for some reason most of the completely over the top skills in comics like Storm Riders seem more believable than DG9J to me.

I think what annoys me the most about DG9J is how the martial arts of the other characters in SPW seem to be written specifically to make DG9J seem especially powerful, for example early in the novel even a mid-level fighter can effortlessly do an LDA an LHC with his DG9J can do absolutely nothing against it, but later in the novel RWX, Abbot Fang Zheng and even DFBB seem to be unable to use LDA's just because there's no way for DG9J to counter LDAs.

A very close second would be BMSG and XXDF, I just feel it's completely unfair that two complete loosers like DY and LHC get away with stealing decades of internal energy that was accumulated through incredible amounts of hard work and dedication by countless martial artists without any sort of punishment, can you imagine meditating for several hours a day for all your life just to have some drunkard/stalker punk get away with stealing your life's work?

9Yang manual as of the 3rd edition of HSDS: WCY let someone read the 9yin manual after losing a drinking contest? What the hell? Worst origin for a martial art ever.

It has clearly become official that Dugu 9 Swords is the most hated martial arts of all time, by SPCNET readers.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterM
    A very close second would be BMSG and XXDF, I just feel it's completely unfair that two complete loosers like DY and LHC get away with stealing decades of internal energy that was accumulated through incredible amounts of hard work and dedication by countless martial artists without any sort of punishment
    Well, I personally feel it's quite unfair that the son of the emperor is born destined to become the next emperor, while plenty of more deserving candidates have no chance of getting there. If you think about that, then the absorption skills don't seem that unfair

can you imagine meditating for several hours a day for all your life just to have some drunkard/stalker punk get away with stealing your life's work?
    It's not that easy to absorb though. Physical contact must be made for Beiming Shengong (as far as its description anyway), and Xixing Dafa has severe side effects.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

The damn Taishan(?) swordplay where you calculate the opponent's height, scrotum volume, weight, number of teeth etc etc and work out some mumbo formula to create a sure-win attack? Words fail me on this one!!!
    It is wholely impractical, as it would required the weilder of this technique to re-count, everytime an opponent moved just a little.
    The people who are good/fast enough to calculate all those variables before the variables changed, probably wouldn't even NEED to use the DaiZong Way to win!
    Wee-ha! After gems like SWORD GOD, THOUSAND WEIGHT LIFTER Grandfather Tan, and ZOMBIE were revealed as characters, we now finally have ONE equal in the field of martial arts. Mount Tai's "HOW ABOUT DAIZONG" stance, executable only by a genius such as BRAIN GOD Hu, is even more fantastic than Tianshan Tonglao's strange age-reversing kung fu. It will featured in the first edition of ELOMA, coming to a thread near you.

Quote Originally Posted by Huang Rong
    Everybody please don't underestimate the Daizong way sword art!!!!!

The Taishan sword school's Daizong way is a kind of swordsmanship which requires the swordsman to calculate all the possible input variables in a flash to send out an extremely deadly + precise attack which can kill the opponent in less than no time -> normal people will never be albe to master this superb skill.

It requires a BRAIN GOD, a.k.a Hu Fei, who is written to be capable of thinking about thousands of matters in the twinkling of an eye to bring this sword art into play!

I wonder if Hu Fei can lay his hands on the sword art, what kind of swordsman will he become and will he be able to finish Linghu Chong/Feng Qingyang/Dugu Qiubai in 1 move?
    Maybe Dugu Qiubai is even 'brainer' than Hu Fei and has mastered calculating all his possible input variables and is able to guard against any attack in less than no time!

If you want to put it that way, it's more like DGQB created a "hash table" instead when he created DG9J.

In such a many-to-one mapping, it wouldn't be necessary to wastefully calculate so many variables.
    Last edited by ChronoReverse; 03-17-07 at 11:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoReverse
    If you want to put it that way, it's more like DGQB created a "hash table" instead when he created DG9J.

In such a many-to-one mapping, it wouldn't be necessary to wastefully calculate so many variables.
    LOL, I was just kidding with her. Hey tech guy, there's no need to bring hash tables into this thread!

Here are the results from all the posts so far.

aNd THE MOST HATED martial art is...

Dugu 9 Swords
    with 4 votes

Second place:
    it's a tie between Beiming Shengong and Star-Absorbing Technique, each with 3 votes.

Fourth Place:
    Tie between 9 Yang Shengong, Murong Family's Star-Shifting Technique, and Daizong Way.

Feel freel to contribute to the list if you have not already.

I put my vote in for Beiming and Star absorbing techniqute (DGSD SPW)
    Seriously, just sucking away someone's internal energy?
    Not a fan of Star shifting technique either (must be something about stars). It makes no sense to me

I don't buy DG9J either, but i don't exactly *hate* it the way i do the others because i personally find DG9J quite cool soundind.

I don't mind energy sucking that much--there's some sort of poetic justice to that (i.e. the guy who's attacking you wants to use that energy to hurt you... instead, that hurts him. heehee). DG9J I don't mind *that* much either.

What I do mind is Tian Shan Lao Lao's anti-aging martial arts (forgot what it's called...) It's way too sci-fi/superheroish for me.

BMSG. XXDF at least has a drawback; BMSG has none and is cheesy beyond compare.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing View Post
    BMSG. XXDF at least has a drawback; BMSG has none and is cheesy beyond compare.
    Good point; there's got to be a cost. Otherwise it's too ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by dewyloony123 View Post
    Good point; there's got to be a cost. Otherwise it's too ridiculous.
    There is a little cost.

You die if you absorb too much at the beginning.

Dugu 9 Jian, sad palms, sweeper tap, poison skills that make people laugh/glow in the dark from DCQ, WXB's luck.
    Member of HYS fanclub -> click here to join group.

Member of TC fanclub.

What?

How can anyone hate Sad Palms?

It's probably the only thing about Yang Guo that's actually cool.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    There is a little cost.

You die if you absorb too much at the beginning.
    Right, that's what I mean--b/c there's that cost, it kind of brings energy sucking back to earth, if you know what I mean. I know there's a cost to TSLL's anti-aging technique but still--it's too far out there.

Quote Originally Posted by yittz View Post
    Dugu 9 Jian, sad palms, sweeper tap, poison skills that make people laugh/glow in the dark from DCQ, WXB's luck.
    re sad palms--why do you object? Do you object to his love for XLN in general? (hope I'm not provoking a potential flame war here...)

Laughter/glow in the dark isn't too implausible--something like laughing gas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrous_oxide) and phosphorous (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phosphorus#Glow) which could do the trick for laughing and glowing, respectively.

Though Sweeper is a bit too much deus ex machina and WXB's luck is a bit much, I can agree.
    Last edited by dewyloony123; 12-05-07 at 11:30 PM.

It's hard not to hate all of Ouyang Feng's martial arts as well as his disgusting use of the sneak attack.

Quote Originally Posted by dewyloony123 View Post
    re sad palms--why do you object? Do you object to his love for XLN in general? (hope I'm not provoking a potential flame war here...)

Laughter/glow in the dark isn't too implausible--something like laughing gas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrous_oxide) and phosphorous (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phosphorus#Glow) which could do the trick for laughing and glowing, respectively.
    Why pick on me?

Why I don't like 'Sad palms':
    1. YG invented it
    2. The martial art is emotionally charged - sadness generally decrease performance
    3. I like fighting with logic, not emotions
    4. I do not like the idea of trying to stike with your belly or your bum (though I like his theory on not limiting to the hands)
    5. Do not like the idea of having an inconsistent art, makes ranking difficult

Point 2 - DCQ's arts:
    1. Never said it was implausible - just the extra stuff was well extra. OYF looked much cooler without making people laugh before dying, or have students using showy fireworks.
    2. Gaseous poisons - how do you control it from poisoning oneself each time used.
    3. Why have an attack in which your enemy can visualise its course. Wuxia emphasises deception (especially poison attacks) and here you have this big flaming fireball coming towards you.
    4. Your examples - NO relatively safe, not 3 short laughters, user aware of laughter and sense its presence, glow in the dark poison was indeed phosphorous
    Member of HYS fanclub -> click here to join group.

Member of TC fanclub.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesG View Post
    It's hard not to hate all of Ouyang Feng's martial arts as well as his disgusting use of the sneak attack.
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! Don't hate my Toadie!

Actually, I think Ha Mo Gong is pretty cool in how one can build up his power without the opponent knowing.

Aside from DG9J, I really hate that stupid Sun and Moon Blade Thingie that Gong Sun dude used. It is so hard to learn yet so easy to break. A waste of time really.
    Last edited by charbydis; 12-06-07 at 10:20 AM.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by yittz View Post
    Why pick on me?
    Not picking on you--was curious :P