Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moderator Request: voluntary moratorium on excessive "vs." threads

Default Moderator Request: voluntary moratorium on excessive "vs." threads

Ladies and Gentlemen of the SPCNET Wuxia Forum:

In recent days and weeks, there have been an excess of "vs." threads on the Wuxia Forum. "Vs." threads come naturally to a genre of fiction that is practically defined by martial arts competition. Therefore, it is not unlikely that we see threads such as "Gwok Jing vs. Yeung Gor" or "Kiu Fung vs. Kau Mor Tze" on a regular basis.

I'm as much a fan of Western sci-fi and superheroes as I am of wuxia, so naturally, I have also been interested in topics such as "Batman vs. a wuxia character," or "Superman vs. the Janitor Monk," etc. I've participated in, maybe even started a thread or two of this nature in the past. All in good fun.

There is such a thing, however, as too much of a good thing...to the point where the good thing begins to lose some of its value and become irritating rather than amusing. That's when we must draw a line and say, "All right. That's enough of that."

Rather than make a hard and fast rule about what people can or cannot post or when or they are allowed or not allowed to post them, I'm asking everybody to voluntarily participate in a moratorium on "silly" threads. I won't go so far as to delete the current ones (although I might take the option of temporarily locking some of them if they seem to be taking over the front page of the forum), but until we get the excess under control, I'm reserving the right to lock any new ones that appear.

We need to raise the bar on our standards here at the Wuxia Forum, but that can't come from just one or two members (or even the moderator). It must come from all of us.

One matter which must be noted is that these things are temporary. They'll die of natural causes in a couple of days, I'm sure.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    Ladies and Gentlemen of the SPCNET Wuxia Forum:

In recent days and weeks, there have been an excess of "vs." threads on the Wuxia Forum. "Vs." threads come naturally to a genre of fiction that is practically defined by martial arts competition. Therefore, it is not unlikely that we see threads such as "Gwok Jing vs. Yeung Gor" or "Kiu Fung vs. Kau Mor Tze" on a regular basis.

I'm as much a fan of Western sci-fi and superheroes as I am of wuxia, so naturally, I have also been interested in topics such as "Batman vs. a wuxia character," or "Superman vs. the Janitor Monk," etc. I've participated in, maybe even started a thread or two of this nature in the past. All in good fun.

There is such a thing, however, as too much of a good thing...to the point where the good thing begins to lose some of its value and become irritating rather than amusing. That's when we must draw a line and say, "All right. That's enough of that."

Rather than make a hard and fast rule about what people can or cannot post or when or they are allowed or not allowed to post them, I'm asking everybody to voluntarily participate in a moratorium on "silly" threads. I won't go so far as to delete the current ones (although I might take the option of temporarily locking some of them if they seem to be taking over the front page of the forum), but until we get the excess under control, I'm reserving the right to lock any new ones that appear.

We need to raise the bar on our standards here at the Wuxia Forum, but that can't come from just one or two members (or even the moderator). It must come from all of us.
    sry ken + every1 that doesnt like the silly stuff. i'll stop doing it. i juss thought the wuxia place was getting boring + survivor game finished and nothing else to do. i will stop now tho. again sry all
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

Quote Originally Posted by LuNaR
    sry ken + every1 that doesnt like the silly stuff. i'll stop doing it. i juss thought the wuxia place was getting boring + survivor game finished and nothing else to do. i will stop now tho. again sry all

LOL, why are you apologizing? You didn't do anything wrong. I'm sure some of us enjoyed it.

Even though they sort of was offtopic, they were funny to read. Just not too many of them.

Currently in Moss, Silver. Next stop....still Moss, Silver

3-4 of these funny polls might be an entertainment, but after that they become annoying....i dont even click on the threads now....but then there's nothing to read anymore

yep, intellectual discussion on wuxia is getting scarce now....although ive never been a contributor to those, it had been a good read for me....
    Last edited by ghostdarTeal'c; 03-17-07 at 10:42 PM.

What's important to remember here is that I'm not calling for an absolute ban on humor and "vs." threads. I'm not a humorless killjoy who wants to ruin people's fun just because I can. On the contrary, making wuxia fans on the forums happy is part of my duty as moderator.

But the root of the word moderator is "moderate," which means I need to keep excesses under control. Have you noticed that I haven't started many anti-Yeung Gor threads in recent months? One of the reasons I've done that is because I knew I had been overdoing them for a while. The whole concept needed a break, just as I needed a break from the concept.

It's refreshing to try something new every once in a while, or perhaps reflect more deeply on topics we've discussed in the past. What I don't want, however, is for the forums or its members to fall into a predictable rut. That's no fun at all for any of us.

I'd like for all of us to take a one-week break from posting any new " vs." threads. "Vs." threads are a wuxia forum staple, and I enjoy them too, but we've been WAY overdoing them lately, and getting into a rut as a result.

Let's take this week as an opportunity to discuss less considered aspects of wuxia, such as the reasoning behind why some swordsmen affix tassles to their swords and others don't...or what organs constitute "5 jong, 6 fu." We need some topics that are off the beaten path (which doesn't mean wacky, silly subjects or lewd subjects).

If you feel you must do a "vs." thread, then do so without the poll. Compel people to actually discuss their reasoning rather than just vote and move on.

Its about time. Wuxia vs Dragonball vs Ultraman vs Marvel. Its really not of the same context, thus its nonsense.

Aww why'd we ban PJ''s two new ones.. although i agree with the pointless threads that get on people nerves, one's that involve in thinking, explanation and imagination on the scenario doesn't hurt.. moderation is everything, and certainly I agree with your actions, but I didn't think those two locks were necessary even though they were temp.

When being politely asked to stop is ignored, direct action is required.

Senior Member kyss of the sword's Avatar

agree wholeheartedly. in fact, if someone removes the 'vs' defunct closed threads, it would be great.
    THE KYSS OF THE SWORD IS DEADLY BUT EXQUSITE
    he's the strongest in history but he's the disciple.
    http://www.mangafox.com/manga/histor...ciple_kenichi/

Thank god.

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing
    Thank god.
    u guys make it sound like it was torture... was it that bad? at worst it was juss pikachu, rambo, and an alien... not that bad

And 'the 300'. And Catwoman. And 'brain god hu' and 'zombie ah zhu'. Aaaand Power Rangers. Plus Ninja Turtles.

it wasnt THAT bad rite? it was pose to be funny :S

btw zombie a zhu is instant classic!
    Last edited by LuNaR; 03-20-07 at 03:26 AM.

Anyway why was the DGQB vs his successors thread locked? Has it been posted before?

Quote Originally Posted by LuNaR
    it wasnt THAT bad rite? it was pose to be funny :S

btw zombie a zhu is instant classic!
    When a joke gets old, it becomes painful. You've never been in a situation wherein a joke that was originally funny just started getting stale because it had been repeated too often?

A good way to keep things pleasant and interesting for a longer period of time is to not overdo them.

Quote Originally Posted by kwekmh
    Anyway why was the DGQB vs his successors thread locked? Has it been posted before?
    No, it hasn't. I want the forum to take a break from "vs." threads for a week because we've been doing so many of them recently that it seems like we don't know how to talk about anything else around here anymore.

Currently in Moss, Silver. Next stop....still Moss, Silver

what a relief! one week should be good enough to revise all the weird, strange things that we've thrown into the wuxia world....

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing
    Plus Ninja Turtles.
    wow, Ninja Turtles too? i missed that one..