Thread: Why Good Looks are so Important

Default Why Good Looks are so Important

Here's my theory about why companies like EEG and Jungiery go for the "good looks" and teeney bopper idols to market.

With the advent of technology, everyone can essentially download any CD they want. That means the vast majority of the population will be lazy and cheap--why buy when you can download?

Yet, we see that people are still buying CD's. What group does this consist mostly of? FANS..especially diehard fans who enjoy seeing some money go into their idols' pockets as they care sooo much for their idols. That's why they create star blogs, fan meetings, etc. to make the fans feel even "closer" to their idol, instigating more feelings of wanting to buy any products related to their idol to help them generate revenue (as if they didn't have enough).

If a person isn't a diehard fan, but just someone who liked an artist's music, it's most likely that they'll just download the CD for free. But if they idolize the person, they'll be more willing to buy the CD. Hence, it's probably more worthwhile to market idols rather than good singers.

your theory seems not to be able to apply to my case, amongst my music idols, only Kurt Cobain (Nirvana) is good-looking. the others, some are middle-aged bald-men: phil collins, bee gees, mark knopfler,... some are middle-aged women: Teresa Teng, Karen Carpenters..., some used to be drug addict: eric clapton, john lennon,...
    Yang Guo & Zhou Botong said in Chapters 6, 11 & 25 of ROCH:
    - 这道姑也算得美了,只是还不及桃花岛郭伯母,更加不及我姑姑。
    - 原来郭伯母竟是这般美貌,小时候我却不觉得。
    - 龙姑娘,我瞧你品貌才智,和那小黄蓉不相上下,武功也跟她差不离。

good looks are the most important thing for me at the moment.
    Sometimes it's hard to love someone because you're so afraid of losing them.

Quote Originally Posted by Huang Rong
    your theory seems not to be able to apply to my case, amongst my music idol, only Kurt Cobain (Nirvana) is good-looking. the others, some are middle-aged bald-men: phil collins, bee gees, mark knopfler,... some are middle-aged women: Teresa Teng, Karen Carpenters..., some used to be drug addict: eric clapton, john lennon,...
    Of course, these are all musicians who reached the heights of their careers in the pre-Internet era.

LOL, but i get their songs mostly from downloading on the Internet.
    - 原来郭伯母竟是这般美貌,小时候我却不觉得。

Believe it not, there was a time when Musicianship was respected. What happen to those times, I have no ****in idea.

God I miss them.
    After Hours - Velvet Underground

ofcourse good looks is important.

the "nicer-looking" ppl gets treated better and that's a fact.
    R.I.P
    DiDi <3
    10.02.05 ;[

don't ****ing piss me off or i'll jam my cigg into ur eye

yes, looks is very important nowadays.
    but there are still exceptions.
    for ex: in the top US music rich list of 2006:
    1. Rolling Stones $150.6m
    2. Tim McGraw and Faith Hill $132m
    3. Rascal Flatts $110.5m
    4. Madonna $96.8m
    5. Barbara Streisand $95.8m
    6. Kenny Chesney $90.1m
    7. Celine Dion $85.2m
    8. Bon Jovi $77.5m
    9. Nickelback $74.1m
    10. Dave Matthews Band $60.4m
    there's no hot-boy or hot-girl. and i don't think someone would call the lead singer of the Rolling Stones, Mick Jagger, a good-looking man, in fact, he looks like a monster.
    - 原来郭伯母竟是这般美貌,小时候我却不觉得。

Quote Originally Posted by yearning
    If a person isn't a diehard fan, but just someone who liked an artist's music, it's most likely that they'll just download the CD for free. But if they idolize the person, they'll be more willing to buy the CD. Hence, it's probably more worthwhile to market idols rather than good singers.
    Good looks do attract more young fans but I don't know if it generates more sales. Young people, no matter how big of a fan, will still illegally download for free. Fans that buy CD are loyal fans of all artists, no matter their looks. When I was a teenager, I dubbed cassettes a lot. It is only now that I can buy CD but only the ones that I really like. I actually only buy albums from New Order and I like them for their music, not for their looks. As for other artists, I only buy compilations but I can count on one hand the artists that I'm willing to spend money on. All the rest, I download.
    My obsessions: Joy Division, New Order, Bones, The Office.

Do bears bear? Do bees bee?

Quote Originally Posted by Huang Rong
    I don't think someone would call the lead singer of the Rolling Stones, Mick Jagger, a good-looking man, in fact, he looks like a monster.
    When I was in high school, my English teacher used Mick Jagger as an example of how even ugly people can have charisma. Mick Jagger is a fairly ugly guy, but one can't say he doesn't have charisma.

Hmm, it does make me wonder then. Why do people bother buying CD's and movies at all then? Out of respect for the artist? I'm horrible for saying this, but I honestly don't respect anyone enough to dish out money for CD's or movies, unless I get them from China for dirt cheap or can't dl them off the Internet. There usually isn't that much of a difference in quality most of the time now.

Quote Originally Posted by yearning
    Hmm, it does make me wonder then. Why do people bother buying CD's and movies at all then? Out of respect for the artist? I'm horrible for saying this, but I honestly don't respect anyone enough to dish out money for CD's or movies, unless I get them from China for dirt cheap or can't dl them off the Internet. There usually isn't that much of a difference in quality most of the time now.
    I buy DVD quite often and I buy CD once in a blue moon. In my case, I buy them because I believe in quality of the official product and not because of the artist. I do download mp3 but I'm very anal as to quality. I don't like 128 Kbps and that's what available most of the time. Very rarely do I find high quality variable bitrate, so if there's a song that I really really like, I will buy the CD. I like movies a lot and I can't stand bootleg DVD. In a way, I collect DVD and I want the artwork and all. Bootleg from China are full of spelling mistakes. I also want movies, series and whatever to be released. If nobody buys and everybody downloading or buying bootlegs, the studios won't release anything.
    My obsessions: Joy Division, New Order, Bones, The Office.

Do bears bear? Do bees bee?

I could care less what the singer looks like, as long as the music is good.

After all, you'll be listening to the song, not staring at the cd cover.
    The New Bi Xue Jian Rocks!

Webshots - Free Beautiful Photos

Quote Originally Posted by babybunny
    I could care less what the singer looks like, as long as the music is good.

After all, you'll be listening to the song, not staring at the cd cover.
    Well, of course voice comes first, but sometimes looks are just as important. There was a girl whoz voiec was one of the best, but failed to get a albumn done because no company wanted her because of her ugly look its sad that looks usually come first;
    Sometimes it's hard to love someone because you're so afraid of losing them.

When I listen to music, the thing I focus on is the sound of the musical instruments, so the singer's appearance (if, indeed, there even is a singer in some cases) isn't of much importance.

It's the interplay of instruments (which might or might not include vocals) that most interest me.

Quote Originally Posted by girllikeme
    Well, of course voice comes first, but sometimes looks are just as important. There was a girl whoz voiec was one of the best, but failed to get a albumn done because no company wanted her because of her ugly look its sad that looks usually come first;
    i guess it's because they need the good looks to help promote themselves in ads and such.
    [ex. of myself] if i was walking in a mall or w/e..n i see an ad with an ugly person in front of it, i'd think "wow, why did they put her on there o_O"..as oppose to if it was a drop dead gorgeous person, i would come close to the poster, try to find her name and then run back home n google her up i know, i'm shallow but i can't help it!

But then nowadays singer's aren't really pretty, Justin..Janice..Vincy...etc.

I personally don't really care for looks since they are SINGERS, not models. THey have to sing well and have good songs or else I could careless about how they look. I do buy the CDs for the artists that I like since it is nice to have the lyrics and all that. Also, a lot of CDs and soundtracks these days come with bonus items like a photo album, VCD/DVD of the MTVs and the making of them or some other bonus gift. You don't get any of that from downloading. I also get lazy to download as well since it takes forever. I think it is sad to buy music just for the nice picture. IF you really like nice pictures just go and get some off the internet since there are plenty of them.
    The thing that I don't really like is getting a CD of the artist if you like them as an actor, therefore, you just buy the CD regardless if it is good or not just because you like their acting. Singing and acting are 2 different categories. I also must say that a lot of the singers from Jungiery are truly talented and don't just have looks. They are trained by musicians who have studied overseas and really know how to sing, write, compose,etc.....
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

Because plastic surgery is a whole lot more noticeable than voice editing, as long as the singer lip syncs all the time?
    Last edited by Sparky; 03-29-08 at 10:51 PM.
    I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know? -Ernest Hemingway

Well, I have heard my favorites sing live and a lot of them do have a nice voice. I know for sure it is live and isn't lip snyching since it sounds different from the recorded version.
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.