Thread: For members 25 and younger: your experiences and thoughts on playing vinyl records

Default For members 25 and younger: your experiences and thoughts on playing vinyl records

Around seventeen years ago, vinyl records, which had been the staple of recorded music for decades, began to disappear as the dominant medium of recorded music and were replaced by compact discs, which had begun to gain public acceptance in the early 1980s. Although there are a few select vinyl releases by some acts today, vinyl now is primarily used by hiphop DJs for concerts and parties. Few people now actually use turntables to play 33 rpm LPs and 45 rpm singles like people regularly did during the 1950s-1980s.

Some of our younger members here have probably never even touched a turntable or vinyl record during their lifetimes. For members 25 years old and younger, please share your experiences in playing old 33s and 45s. Describe not only the music listening experience, but also the experience of operating the turntable.

My late auntie used to own scores of them... but I don't know where they've gone to now.

I've never used them myself but they are quite fascinating.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

I used to listen to vinyl when I was little, mostly because of my parents. Around 1995-1999 I started to listen to them again when my parents gave me their collection of records and I discovered ABBA.

I still have everything at my dad's house but ever since songs became available in the MP3 format I've hardly used anything else to listen to music.

I actually have a pretty big collection of Vinyls. I'm a paranoid type of guy so I bought two of every record I like; one for listening and one for safe keeping.
    Most of my vinyls are jazz related; I have the first release of Birth of the Cool by Miles Davis, lots of John Coltrane and Charlie Parker. Besides jazz I have a few Beatles, Cream, and Motown related stuff.

Even though the sound quality isn't that great, it gives you a nostalgia feel. And besides some of my vinyls are worth a lot.
    After Hours - Velvet Underground