Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: The Forbidden Kingdom - Jet Li & Jackie Chan movie

Oh dear! I am so boycotting this film!

First of all, the reporters have insulted the wuxia novelists and their novels but not researching properly.

Second, I am sick of the movies where the legend has it where a white man must save an anceint foreign blah blah (e.g. the mummy, etc). And they chose a weak white boy to defeat the millions of Chinese dieties and heavenly army? I find it demeaning!

Thirdly, I don't get why they need to save the Monkey King at all. MK was trapped under the mountain cos he was a jerk and disregarded everyone else and needed that 500 years to calm him down so he can accept his destiny. Freeing him just dampens the whole purpose of putting him there in the first place.

Fourthly, why on earth is Jet Li playing both MK and the Monk? Is he also the Dragon Horse, Zhu Ba Jie and the Sand Monk as well? They better not end up joining together into the same body at the end or its gonna look like he's schizophrenic all the way to India.

Lastly, why is there always an evil Chinese Warlord and why does it have to be the Jade Emperor? If they are mixing East and West, then why don't they make Dracula or Voldemort the evil Warlord? Its like saying Harry Potter is the supreme evil wizard of his time or Dorothy is the Wiked Witch of the West.

I am very disappointed by the news of this production. I mean Jackie Chan and Jet Li are two of the most famous Asian stars in the world, and when they finally agree to work together, they choose such a crappy script? I'd rather they go back to work in HK and a serious production that would be remembered for it great fighting scenes or plot rather than star in a Hollywood production that is going be critised for as long as it is remembered?

And as for Liu Yi Fei, i understand that her mother thinks this is a good opportunity to get her exposed to Hollywood but at least choose a better one to appear in.

And I will puke if the characters fall in love!
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

China's official Xinhua News Agency has quoted Chan's own criticism of the film: "The movie I just shot with Jet Li, The Forbidden Kingdom, actually isn't that great... The Forbidden Kingdom is a movie made for Americans... Chinese viewers may not like it. If I say it's a good movie now, then many people will be filled with overly high expectations and be disappointed when they see the movie."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Forbidden_Kingdom (rumors section)
    爱是最最奇幻的魔术
    让人都要对它趋之若鹜
    这场魔术都是要结束
    真爱是箭在弦上不认输

Quote Originally Posted by charbydis View Post
    Oh dear! I am so boycotting this film!

Second, I am sick of the movies where the legend has it where a white man must save an anceint foreign blah blah (e.g. the mummy, etc). And they chose a weak white boy to defeat the millions of Chinese dieties and heavenly army? I find it demeaning!
    Americans are just so conditioned to the theme of the mighty whitey coming to the rescue of all non-whiteys. Yet when ANY movie deviates from that norm... (except sometimes they can tolerate a black man kicking a$$ for justice) they cry wolf. Check the IMDB boards for Fearless. Red necks complaining that whiteys aren't "fairly" portrayed and Chinks kicking whitey a$$ is not to their liking.

Jackie Chan usually makes a fool of himself in most movies, especially the Hollywood ones, so it's to be expected, but Jet Li usually maintains some dignity, now he sells out to this piece of crap. It's sad.

The only thing missing in this movie is William Hung as Monk Tang. He brings Monkey King under control by singing She Bangs in this version.
    This account is retired.

Hey, the first footage has been released
    http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=39338

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Jeneshii View Post
    Where is Tripitaka, is Jet Li both tripitaka and SWK? coz Jet Li look like tripitaka in this movie

Quote Originally Posted by Jeneshii View Post
    oh I see it now. The connection is quite slow. I couldn't see the whole part.

The great Paul Mooney once said that it's offensive that Tom Cruise is the Last Samurai and Brad Pitt is the Mexican, that the next project Hollywood would do is The Last N**ger on Earth starring Tom Hanks. Funny and true.

Hollywood should have gone all out and hired all white people to act in this movie.
    This account is retired.

*crossing fingers* that there wont be any romance between the four protagonists... and why is liu yifei so black???
    爱是最最奇幻的魔术
    让人都要对它趋之若鹜
    这场魔术都是要结束
    真爱是箭在弦上不认输

oh my god, this is disguting...why the heck did jackie and jet agree to do this?!
    the trailer looks "ok" I guess (it basically felt HERO-ish and CTHD-ish) but the premise is really BS, there's just no way around this...no doubt most mainstream viewers will just eat it up too
    I laughed out loud when I read "American teenager's fantasy journey to ancient China"...but then I became sad knowing what a baaaad movie this will be.

The trailer doesn't look bad. They could've given Jackie Chan a beard so he wouldn't look so bohemian.

Quote Originally Posted by dracnom View Post
    *crossing fingers* that there wont be any romance between the four protagonists... and why is liu yifei so black???
    I thinks it's just because it was nighttime in the trailer and she was indoors.

I mean Jackie Chan and Jet Li are two of the most famous Asian stars in the world, and when they finally agree to work together, they choose such a crappy script?
    ->agree!!! this movie just for kids..even Jackie chan said "don't expect to much on this film"
    月は
    一つしかないと
    思っていたが
    山の端でなく
    池の底にも月が出た。

Quote Originally Posted by myedi View Post
    I mean Jackie Chan and Jet Li are two of the most famous Asian stars in the world, and when they finally agree to work together, they choose such a crappy script?
    ->agree!!! this movie just for kids..even Jackie chan said "don't expect to much on this film"
    I have the same thought like you too, myedi . Jet Li and Jackie Chan are the 2 most popular in Asian martial-art and agreed played together, they choose such a crappy script?? Or a type of one-time-wacthing movie????

I'm very disappointed. I've heard that news also, that even Jackie announced "don't expect to much on this film." I was hoping that this movie going be very good but it turns out not so great. Obviously this movie is going to be for kids/teenagers type.

Teaser poster released
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2198/2122980231_5d4366de21_o.jpg')

Unhappy

OHMIGOODNESS!

i'm wasn't excited about this movie in the beginning because i can't watch lyf but reading the storyline, i lost all my small bitty interest in seeing jet and jackie.

*laughs ironically*

i'm going to go and watch "dragons forever" and remember the better movies jackie used to make.
    ---------
    Shellie

God. I almost wrote out a long ***** post, but forget it. It's not worth it. All that needs to be said is that if LYF falls in love with that barely-pubescent white boy, then I can't be held accountable for my actions. That would be the last straw. This is ridiculous, and manages to offend nearly every single sensibility.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing View Post
    God. I almost wrote out a long ***** post, but forget it. It's not worth it. All that needs to be said is that if LYF falls in love with that barely-pubescent white boy, then I can't be held accountable for my actions. That would be the last straw. This is ridiculous, and manages to offend nearly every single sensibility.
    i think she did. i saw the trailer and there was the part where he was leaning in to kiss her. i actually laughed.

*waits patiently to see what ren wo xing will do*
    ---------
    Shellie

Quote Originally Posted by shellie View Post
    i think she did. i saw the trailer and there was the part where he was leaning in to kiss her. i actually laughed.

*waits patiently to see what ren wo xing will do*
    I watched the trailer and saw no such thing. What time was it on the trailer, and was it the one referenced above?
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing View Post
    I watched the trailer and saw no such thing. What time was it on the trailer, and was it the one referenced above?
    i watched the trailer here:

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809869644/trailer
    ---------
    Shellie

Quote Originally Posted by shellie View Post
    OMG!!!! He is really going to kiss her!!!! SICK!!!!!!!