Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516

Thread: The Forbidden Kingdom - Jet Li & Jackie Chan movie

Quote Originally Posted by JamesG View Post
    Did you catch Jackie's little joke in the store when he said 'Crouching Tiger Stinky Monkey'?
    Yes, I thought that was amusing.

Have you watched the original Journey to the West?
    Which one? I have a Shaw Brothers version from the '60s, and also part of the Japanese tv series from the '70s that Jason has on tv at the beginning of Forbidden Kingdom. I've also read an abridged version of the book. And I know that Dragonball is (loosely) based on Journey to the West.
    你看这些云彩,聚了又散,散了又聚,人生离合也是一样。

I thought the need to draw in Hollywood spoilt the movie. Jackie Chan, Jet Li colaboration should be chinese speaking, made by and made for chinese people. I feel like this has been ripped off to suit Hollywood's needs.

such a boring movie.

Quote Originally Posted by sniffles View Post
    Yes, Which one? I have a Shaw Brothers version from the '60s, and also part of the Japanese tv series from the '70s that Jason has on tv at the beginning of Forbidden Kingdom. I've also read an abridged version of the book. And I know that Dragonball is (loosely) based on Journey to the West.
    I was referring to the mainland 1986 version [part 1] which is where all this started for me.

i was expected to see Jackie and Jet li together in wonderful movie

but this movie is....gggggggggggg

Quote Originally Posted by flamer View Post
    I thought the need to draw in Hollywood spoilt the movie. Jackie Chan, Jet Li colaboration should be chinese speaking, made by and made for chinese people. I feel like this has been ripped off to suit Hollywood's needs.
    Ya, just figured that out. Well, most people don't want to read subtitles and rather have people speak in a language to non native Chinese. This way, Hollywood can sell more of it. I must say Jackie Chan's English did improved.
    Check out: http://samthetypist.spaces.live.com/ ; Currently under construction;Check out http://www.soundclick.com/spcnet07 , provided by Sugar.

Quote Originally Posted by mind_wander View Post
    Ya, just figured that out. Well, most people don't want to read subtitles and rather have people speak in a language to non native Chinese. This way, Hollywood can sell more of it. I must say Jackie Chan's English did improved.

This should never have been a Hollywood production. Some Hong Kong or Mainland company should've done it.

I was referring to the mainland 1986 version [part 1] which is where all this started for me.
    I don't think I've seen that one.

Quote Originally Posted by flamer
    This should never have been a Hollywood production. Some Hong Kong or Mainland company should've done it.
    To some extent I agree with you. It would have been nice at least if the writer or director had been Chinese. The screenwriter is very immersed in Chinese culture and history, but he's still a non-Asian American from California.

Although the movie glossed over a lot of things, it was still apparent to me that the makers were people who are very fond of kung-fu movies and wanted to show their respect and affection for that genre of film. For a Hollywood movie it was better than I expected. At least they didn't film it in California, and they let the actors speak some Chinese dialogue instead of none.

I hope it pointed out to some American viewers who are like Jason was at the beginning that there's more to kung-fu than just beating people up and showing off, and there's more to Chinese culture than kung-fu movies.
    你看这些云彩,聚了又散,散了又聚,人生离合也是一样。

I hope it pointed out to some American viewers who are like Jason was at the beginning that there's more to kung-fu than just beating people up and showing off, and there's more to Chinese culture than kung-fu movies.
    Yeah, and that 'more' part which most of them probably understood was the part about 'hot asian chick' loving white boy.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

I don't think I've seen that one.
    Take a look [it's only 5 min. of the episode]
    http://www.veoh.com/videos/v153699035XrXp6Y4?rank=61&