Thread: Wuxia Timeline

Default Wuxia Timeline

I have very little knowledge on when and where the novels kickstart off in history.

Anyone know when and where does each of the novels start?

Eg.
    Tang---ROCH
    Song---HSDS
    Yuan---...

Quote Originally Posted by FlamboyantLife
    I have very little knowledge on when and where the novels kickstart off in history.

Anyone know when and where does each of the novels start?

Eg.
    Tang---ROCH
    Song---HSDS
    Yuan---...
    For the Jin Yong Universe:

Around 1100 CE (Christian Era): DGSD (Northern Sung Dynasty)

Around 1200-1220 CE: LOCH (Southern Sung Dynasty)

Around 1233-1259 CE: ROCH (Southern Sung Dynasty)

Around 1336-1360 CE: HSDS (Yuan Dynasty)

Unknown years during late 14th, 15th, 16th, or early 17th Centuries, CE: SPW (Ming Dynasty)

Early 1600s CE: CRIMSON SWORD (late Ming Dynasty)

Late 1600s CE: DOMD (early Qing Dynasty)

1700s CE: BOOK & SWORD: GRATITUDE & REVENGE (Qing Dynasty)

1700s CE: FLYING FOX OF SNOWY MOUNTAIN (Qing Dynasty)

Not sure about LINKED CITIES, ODE TO GALLANTRY, HORSE NEIGHING IN THE WIND, or the story about Ah Ching.

Around 1100 CE (Christian Era): DGSD (Northern Sung Dynasty)
    The novel began in the year 1090 A.D., during the Yuanyou Period of the (Northern) Song Dynasty 大宋元祐年 (1086-1093 A.D.) in the reign of Song Zhezong, the Wise Ancestor of Song 宋哲宗 (Chapter 1, clarified in the 3rd edition only). Note: There were a number of much-needed rectifications of dates/years in the 3rd edition of DGSD.

Unknown years during late 14th, 15th, 16th, or early 17th Centuries, CE: SPW (Ming Dynasty)
    That SPW was set in the Ming Dynasty came from four different clues in the text.
    (1) Wudang was in existence, and named as the 2nd largest school after Shaolin in Chapter 26.
    (2) Yue Lingshan made a statement to Lin Pingzhi about the founder of the Ming Dynasty, Zhu Yuanzhang, in Chapter 35.
    (3) Qing-style pigtails were not mentioned.
    (4) The emergence of the long-lost score of Guang Ling San that formed the basis for the Xiao Ao Jiang Hu song. Details here: http://wuxiapedia.com/research/the_arts/xajh_song

Early 1600s CE: CRIMSON SWORD (late Ming Dynasty)
    From 1630 (death of Yuan Chonghuan) to 1644 (death of Emperor Chongzhen).

1700s CE: BOOK & SWORD: GRATITUDE & REVENGE (Qing Dynasty)
    1700s CE: FLYING FOX OF SNOWY MOUNTAIN (Qing Dynasty)
    FLYING FOX OF SNOWY MOUNTAIN began in the 45th year of Qianlong's reign, or approximately, the year 1779 (Chapter 1). It lasted all of 2 days or so. OTHER TALES OF THE FLYING FOX (YOUNG FLYING FOX) ended 10 years earlier in 1769. Hu Fei was 27 in 1779 (SNOWY MOUNTAIN) and 13-14 at the beginning of OTHER TALES. So OTHER TALES started in 1765-66 and went on until 1769 or so.

BOOK & SWORD began in the 18th year of Qianlong's reign, or approximately, the year 1752 (Chapter 1). Since the end of OTHER TALES (c. 1769) is about 10 years after the end of BOOK & SWORD, BOOK & SWORD must have happened from 1752 to 1759.

Not sure about LINKED CITIES, ODE TO GALLANTRY, HORSE NEIGHING IN THE WIND, or the story about Ah Ching.
    LINKED CITIES took place towards the end of Qing Dynasty, based on the endnotes of the 2nd edition, and confirmed by Jin Yong when he released the 3rd edition.

ODE TO GALLANTRY is believed to have taken place some time during the Ming Dynasty due to the existence of the Wudang School and the absence of Qing-style pigtails in the story. More information/discussion:
    1. http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showpost...7&postcount=21
    2. http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showpost...8&postcount=29

The story about A'Qing, THE SWORD OF THE YUE MAIDEN, took place during the Spring and Autumn Period, around 770-475 BC.
    Last edited by HuangYushi; 03-23-07 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Added more information.
    Jin Yong's Ode to Gallantry [侠客行].
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    what about SPT, I need my SPT fix ASAP, pretty pleaseeeee...
    Soon ... SOON!

Quote Originally Posted by HuangYushi
    The story about A'Qing, THE SWORD OF THE YUE MAIDEN, took place during the Spring and Autumn Period, around 770-475 BC.
    It took part during the story of Yue v.s Wu (two kingdoms). If wikipedia is anything to go by, it should be between 500BC and 473BC. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xi_Shi. Note: Xi Shi was gifted to Fu Chai in 490 BC - which happened a number of years (perhaps 10) before the start of the story, and Gou Jian eliminated Wu in 473 BC - end of the story.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Around 1100 CE (Christian Era):
    OT: Doesn't CE stand for Common Era?? Or am I wrong here?

QF

Quote Originally Posted by QF
    OT: Doesn't CE stand for Common Era?? Or am I wrong here?
    QF
    Yup, that's the 'Politically Correct' term.

Quote Originally Posted by HuangYushi
    That SPW was set in the Ming Dynasty came from four different clues in the text.
    (1) Wudang was in existence, and named as the 2nd largest school after Shaolin in Chapter 26.
    (2) Yue Lingshan made a statement to Lin Pingzhi about the founder of the Ming Dynasty, Zhu Yuanzhang, in Chapter 35.
    (3) Qing-style pigtails were not mentioned.
    (4) The emergence of the long-lost score of Guang Ling San that formed the basis for the Xiao Ao Jiang Hu song. Details here: http://wuxiapedia.com/research/the_arts/xajh_song
    I always placed XAJH sometime between 1589 to 1620. While there were weak Ming Emperors prior to 1589 such as Zhengde and Jiajing, the overall structure of Ming government was fairly intact, and it wasn't until the second half of Wanli's reign (from roughly 1589) when things the government started to lose a lot of credibility. By the end of his reign in 1620, the Manchus had already established a foothold in northeast China under Nurhaci, and were already a threat to China, even more so when they adopted the dynastic name Qing in 1636.

The two incidents I refer to are when Liu Zhengfeng mentioned wanting to retire to take up a small government post (or was that TVB's salt and vinegar?). The negative perception of a government post seemed to indicate that at that time, officialdom was synonymous with .. well, something to be looked down upon by men of honour. The second incident is when Linghu Chong masqueraded as an officer. The officer in question was a rather uncouth, corrupt and in general rather horrid individual, and he seemed to be the norm rather than the exception given the reaction from the public. I believe that such perception of the civil and military service sectors of the government would not be so widespread in the years preceding Wanli's latter reign.

If we push too far forward, though, then living conditions would be more despondent, and by the time of Taichang, Tianqi and Chongzhen, Wanli's corrupt seed started to bear full fruit (although Taichang's month-long reign and Tianqi's reliance on Wei Zhongxian meant that really only Chongzhen had to face the music). Rebels were sprouting all over, famine covered the land and the foreign tribes were at the borders - as per the Bi Xue Jian time. XAJH didn't quite seem to paint such a picture, nor were there any references to Manchus and the Han people being threatened by foreigners, nor any talk of rebellion. Post 1620, the Manchus at the border would be the worry of all Chinese, including the wulin masters.

The one thing which blows my theory to pieces, though, is Huashan. "Divine Sword Immortal Monkey" Mu Renqing was a rather good fighter, and given his age in BXJ, should have been with Huashan around XAJH time if it was set post 1589. Maybe he was Liang Fa's student or something, or maybe the old sect died off (possible, after the horrible losses at the end of XAJH) and a new one started. After all, the martial arts seem to have completed changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Liew
    The two incidents I refer to are when Liu Zhengfeng mentioned wanting to retire to take up a small government post (or was that TVB's salt and vinegar?).
    He did say that in the novel too.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Personally, I think SPW is in an alternate universe.

The MA levels of the people in it are just too high to match with the Deterioration Theory.

Linked Cities really took place during the end of the Qing?? Really? I thought it took place during the Ming or Song?? I guess not...

By the way, I wonder why JY did not write any novels that took place during the Tang dynasty?? I think that would have been interesting... I was imagining him writing for one of the 3 ancient dynasties, but then again we already have the classic story of Feng Shen bang....
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

it's been established that the lu xiaofeng series occurred around 1550s (ming dynasty). most of GL's novels don't have specific dynastic references to pinpoint the time period, but it's safe to assume most were set in a parallel universe where the ming dynasty never ended.

there was a list for the LYS novels, but can't remember if it's been re-posted on wuxiasociety. *goes off to check*
    nostalgic for wuxiasociety? http://wuxiasociety.freeforums.net/

Quote Originally Posted by sarakoth
    Personally, I think SPW is in an alternate universe.

The MA levels of the people in it are just too high to match with the Deterioration Theory.
    The Deterioration Theory is not a fact.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Quote Originally Posted by kidd
    Perhaps, but it's never been completely disproven as untenable either.

Quote Originally Posted by kidd
    It's usually true because when a master dies, the student usually doesn't finish learning everything.

Fang Zheng in SPW has probably cultivated with YJJ for quite sometime and Chong Xu and Ren Wo Xing are still on par with him training using "normal" methods.

You Tanzhi cultivated with YJJ for a very short amount of time and reached DGSD leet lvl.

Therefore, the leets of SPW will pwn the leets of DGSD, considered to be the heiht of the JY universe.

However, corn is present in SPW so it must be post-16th century.

Weird

Senior Member kyss of the sword's Avatar

Rereading this, i thought' the detoriation theory came first in dgsd when the monk of heavenly dragon temple said martial arts detoriated as there's no one who can learn 6mds in its entirety. But dy managed even before reaching his highest inner power. If jmz tried, he might have managed with some practise. In conder yrilogy era, there were gj, yg, and zwj who reached great level before their 30's. If they practised for another 60 yrs, they might get to sweeper monk level. Those super experts who created stsrshifting skill, 9yinzhenjing, 9yangshengong, 6mds skill, qkdny and ode to gallentry skill were one in a million talents thst appeared once every several decades/centuary. The normal rate of martial arts never changed all the way to weixiaibao's time.

Quote Originally Posted by Trinie View Post
    Linked Cities really took place during the end of the Qing?? Really? I thought it took place during the Ming or Song?? I guess not...

By the way, I wonder why JY did not write any novels that took place during the Tang dynasty?? I think that would have been interesting... I was imagining him writing for one of the 3 ancient dynasties, but then again we already have the classic story of Feng Shen bang....
    Yeah, it should be either Tang, Song, Ming, or even earlier dynasties but it should never be Qing.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-5baj6stBCJY/T7SJhFLfpYI/AAAAAAAACnw/Dp1BCSqSh-U/s1600/Lin-Sing-Kuet.jpg')